watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Transfer Deadline Day

Started by Mince n Tatties, May 27, 2020, 09:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheelerdeeler

Just for a comparison and why I don't think we need to spend 100m/sign a load of players this summer. First Friendly we had for 18/19 we had a team/squad of;
Rodak; Christie, Odoi, Jenz, R. Sessegnon; de la Torre, Johansen, O'Riley; AK47, Kait, Thorsteinsson
Ashby-Hammond, Ream, Djalo, Fossey, S. Sessegnon, Cisse, Francois, Cairney, Kebano, Ayite, Fonte.

And of that whole squad I'd say it's fair to say the only players who actually played a significant amount in the Prem were Christie, Odoi, R. Sessegnon, Ream and Cairney and we were basically padding the team out with Youth players.

If we had a game tomorrow without any signings (even making Harrison Reed permanent) we could play a team of;
Rodak; Christie, Hector, Ream, Bryan; Anguissa, Cairney; Knockaert, Onomah, Kebano; Mitrovic
Bettinelli, Le Marchand, Odoi, Johansen, Seri, Cavaleiro, AK47
... and on top of that we have Fabri, Mawson, S. Sessegnon, McDonald, Bobby Reid and Youth Players.

I'm not saying that team would keep us up, but it's a fact that we're in a much better position this time around.

Statto

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on August 11, 2020, 12:36:26 AM
Just for a comparison and why I don't think we need to spend 100m/sign a load of players this summer. First Friendly we had for 18/19 we had a team/squad of;
Rodak; Christie, Odoi, Jenz, R. Sessegnon; de la Torre, Johansen, O'Riley; AK47, Kait, Thorsteinsson
Ashby-Hammond, Ream, Djalo, Fossey, S. Sessegnon, Cisse, Francois, Cairney, Kebano, Ayite, Fonte.

And of that whole squad I'd say it's fair to say the only players who actually played a significant amount in the Prem were Christie, Odoi, R. Sessegnon, Ream and Cairney and we were basically padding the team out with Youth players.

If we had a game tomorrow without any signings (even making Harrison Reed permanent) we could play a team of;
Rodak; Christie, Hector, Ream, Bryan; Anguissa, Cairney; Knockaert, Onomah, Kebano; Mitrovic
... and on top of that we have Fabri, Mawson, S. Sessegnon, McDonald, Bobby Reid and Youth Players.

I'm not saying that team would keep us up, but it's a fact that we're in a much better position this time around.

But as I said up the thread, last time we spent 90% of the £100m on just 4 players.

So we don't have to need or buy a lot of new players for it to cost £100m

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Statto on August 11, 2020, 12:59:17 AM

But as I said up the thread, last time we spent 90% of the £100m on just 4 players.

Said it in an earlier comment, it shouldn't be costing us 100m especially in this market unless we get ideas above our station of "17th is a good season" and go for the big name players like Seri when I'd prefer to sign perhaps on paper "worse" players but players who'll scrap for every point next season and buy into the team spirit/mentality Parker's constantly talked about over the last year.

I've thought/said all along we need 4 signings minimum, 7 maximum. And of the 4 "needed", Harrison Reed would be one and I think everyone agrees that he's "only" 8m.

I'd be more than happy with spending ~50m this summer getting Harrison Reed, Babel and maybe Arter back in addition to 4 or 5 new faces which wouldn't be too many to where it would actively disrupt the dressing room.

Hugh Gentry

Quote from: filham on August 10, 2020, 05:28:03 PM
Don't write off Ream, those three Brentford strikers were said to be red hot and of premier league quality, the Hector Ream partnership saw them off over 90 minutes plus. Whoever we sign I think we start next season with Hector and Ream at centre back with any new centre back being introduced gradually from the bench.

Ream is not good enough for the Premier League, It is obvious to most that we need to strengthen key positions, as we should have done last time we were promoted. Instead we signed Seri, who cam with MLM...both mistakes. Parker understand you have to keep it tight in the PL and we need quality at the back. Ream, Mawson and MLM just not up to scratch, don't be sentimental, just get rid.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: wonderfulthingcali on August 11, 2020, 01:30:35 AM
Don't write off Ream, those three Brentford strikers were said to be red hot and of premier league quality, the Hector Ream partnership saw them off over 90 minutes plus. Whoever we sign I think we start next season with Hector and Ream at centre back with any new centre back being introduced gradually from the bench.

Ream is not good enough for the Premier League, It is obvious to most that we need to strengthen key positions, as we should have done last time we were promoted. Instead we signed Seri, who cam with MLM...both mistakes. Parker understand you have to keep it tight in the PL and we need quality at the back. Ream, Mawson and MLM just not up to scratch, don't be sentimental, just get rid.

A squad has at least 25 players of which 5 are normally centre-backs. Next season if fit, Mawson is good enough as a 3rd centre back, Ream is good enough to be our 4th centre-back and MLM is easily good enough to be our 5th centre-back. Likewise, we will need six central midfielders and Seri is still more than good enough to be our 5th and/or 6th midfielder, no point getting rid of him unless we are offered serious money that would allow us to buy Reed (who is an upgrade).

My calculations are, under current FFP rules that are ridiculous, selling Seri wouldn't provide us with enough money to buy Harry Arter so what's the point. If we can sell Seri for Arter, I might be half interested, but selling Seri to free wages up to keep Stefjo seems frankly quite pointless. Selling Stefjo or KMac will earn Fulham much more profit than selling Seri, and probably what we should consider doing in the winter transfer window or after their replacements have settled in. I think Fulham's squad is good enough apart from some of the first XI (especially LCB and RB) and the backup centre forward needs an upgrade, especially as Mitro is a little injured plus an international footballer.

Hugh Gentry

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 11, 2020, 02:47:30 AM

A squad has at least 25 players of which 5 are normally centre-backs. Next season if fit, Mawson is good enough as a 3rd centre back, Ream is good enough to be our 4th centre-back and MLM is easily good enough to be our 5th centre-back. Likewise, we will need six central midfielders and Seri is still more than good enough to be our 5th and/or 6th midfielder, no point getting rid of him unless we are offered serious money that would allow us to buy Reed (who is an upgrade).

My calculations are, under current FFP rules that are ridiculous, selling Seri wouldn't provide us with enough money to buy Harry Arter so what's the point. If we can sell Seri for Arter, I might be half interested, but selling Seri to free wages up to keep Stefjo seems frankly quite pointless. Selling Stefjo or KMac will earn Fulham much more profit than selling Seri, and probably what we should consider doing in the winter transfer window or after their replacements have settled in. I think Fulham's squad is good enough apart from some of the first XI (especially LCB and RB) and the backup centre forward needs an upgrade, especially as Mitro is a little injured plus an international footballer.
In my opinion you are kidding yourself if you think any of those 3 are good enough, imagine Hector gets injured game 1, one of those has to start. MLM should be nowhere near any PL squad, Mawson has lost his edge and is injury prone, Ream is seconds away from errors in the PL. So why are they good enough? Seri was wasteful in his year with us and missed his opportunity, what has he done to earn another? In addition he upset the squad dynamic.

Porthogs FC

Quote from: wonderfulthingcali on August 11, 2020, 03:11:14 AM

In my opinion you are kidding yourself if you think any of those 3 are good enough, imagine Hector gets injured game 1, one of those has to start. MLM should be nowhere near any PL squad, Mawson has lost his edge and is injury prone, Ream is seconds away from errors in the PL. So why are they good enough? Seri was wasteful in his year with us and missed his opportunity, what has he done to earn another? In addition he upset the squad dynamic.

Fully agree here, what people forget is our backup for Hector is Odoi, as Ream, Mawson and MLM are all LCB's. We need a starting LCB, and a backup RCB, which means we sell 1 or 2 of Mawson, Ream, MLM. I think it depends on if we sign both a starting RB and backup LB, then we'd sell 2.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: wonderfulthingcali on August 11, 2020, 03:11:14 AM

Seri upset the squad dynamic when he was in the first XI and other players didn't think that he had earnt it. Seri didn't upset the squad dynamic once he was placed on the bench or once he got back in the first XI against Liverpool and Bournemouth. Seri will start the season as a squad player, work his way on to the bench and will only make the first XI if he takes his chances or injuries affect us. This time, Seri will fight for his place or sit on the bench, he will be very very good for squad dynamics. What will be bad for squad dynamics is selling him, so he gets a pay rise above anyone else in the squad for not delivering at the club and get to transfer to his club of choice. 

As for MLM, he played 26 games in the premier league and we got 24 points in those games, that is exactly the kind of performance we required from our  3rd or 4th centre-back, so he is easily good enough to be our 5th centre back, especially as he should perform even better if partnering someone better than Ream, Mawson or Odoi. I admit that Mawson, Ream and MLM need to be heavily fitness tested preseason because these positions only hold if fit.

Normally, at the end of preseason we will bring in a couple of players to strength where there are fitness concerns, this is likely to be at centre-back but it could be anywhere such as goalkeeper, full-backs, midfield or upfront too. Right now, we need one centre-back and centre forward for preseason, then see what happens during the preseason and then reinforce again. Same with the winter transfer window, when we will need to reinforce again.

RaySmith

Obviously keeping  our players fit will be very important, but I feel that Mawson could  come good. If he can stay fit, I think he could be an effective cb for us. either as back up, or competing with, Ream, to partner Hector.

I also think MLM can do a job as a back up cb, who  can also play lb, if necessary, though this isn't his best position.
As for Ream - everyone wants to keep writing him off, but he's still  doing an effective job  for us, especially partnered with Hector, and they did a great  job in the season run in, play-off's and final.

Easy to criticise Ream, I suppose, with his age, and errors, but why not  look at  the very positive aspects of his play -his positioning, calm under pressure, and skill on the ball and passing under pressure.
He saved us so many times in the  final games - his interceptions,  and playing out from the back - a calm, commanding presence along with Hector.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: RaySmith on August 11, 2020, 03:53:30 AM
Obviously keeping  our players fit will be very important, but I feel that Mawson could  come good. If he can stay fit, I think he could be an effective cb for us. either as back up, or competing with, Ream, to partner Hector.

I also think MLM can do a job as a back up cb, who  can also play lb, if necessary, though this isn't his best position.
As for Ream - everyone wants to keep writing him off, but he's still  doing an effective job  for us, especially partnered with Hector, and they did a great  job in the season run in, play-off's and final.

Easy to criticise Ream, I suppose, with his age, and errors, but why not  look at  the very positive aspects of his play -his positioning, calm under pressure, and skill on the ball and passing under pressure.
He saved us so many times in the  final games - his interceptions,  and playing out from the back - a calm, commanding presence along with Hector.

Fulham would be crazy to save 0.4% of next years expenses, by removing Tim Ream from the squad for the first half of the season. The 0.4% spent on Ream is probably some of the best value spending in the Fulham Budget.

Fulham will be making £137m next season and my guess is we will expense between £162m on players/coaches for the season, with the objective of getting around 36 points. Tim Ream on wages of £25k per week costs £650k for the next six months, which around 1/250th of the entire season's budget. He doesn't need to start the season anywhere near the bench to justify that kind of spending, he can justify his place as a back of the backups.

As for whether Tim Ream is good enough to get a spot in the 25 overaged players, I think it's better to give a  spare spot for aging center-backs than not good enough midfielders or winger, as in other positions (such as full-backs and wingers) we can add squad depth with some under 21 players, and/or move players around to play out of position.

In the squad of 25 players, we should have a few too many goalkeepers and center-backs, as other positions are easier to cover by playing players out of position, and besides most CB can play FB or DM if required. If we have three goalkeepers and seven center-backs for the first half-season, we still have another 15 overaged players and several under 21 players for the other positions. Once, we get a settled CBs partnership, we can release excess CB down to maybe just five center-backs.

Everyone knows if Ream stays somehow, he'll end up getting some game time when some new recruit cannot adjust to the premier league, doesn't integrate with the team (or Hector), or ends up injured. Ream is the ideal man if our new CB fails and we just need to get a few more points until the next transfer window opens to reinforce again. Let's not forget these center-backs got 15 points in the last half of the premier league season, which would be enough to keep us competitive going into the winter transfer window.

Frankly, Ream, Odoi and MLM are almost like insurance in case the new recruits don't adjust, if the new defensive recruits perform those three will move on within a transfer window or two.

Mince n Tatties

JimmyBullardsBarber

Let's not get on about a captain who's done his time for the club. We need a roster that suits our competition and right now Ream is good enough to remain.

Adding key talent that fits our culture will be difficult given the short timeline, and we're already a few steps behind our competition. We need technical skill in the middle of the park and some threats on the wing, in addition to some quality in defense. An Ampadu loan makes sense but we need to make sure our scouting goes beyond GB

The Rational Fan

Quote from: JimmyBullardsBarber on August 11, 2020, 05:58:47 AM
Let's not get on about a captain who's done his time for the club. We need a roster that suits our competition and right now Ream is good enough to remain.

Adding key talent that fits our culture will be difficult given the short timeline, and we're already a few steps behind our competition. We need technical skill in the middle of the park and some threats on the wing, in addition to some quality in defense. An Ampadu loan makes sense but we need to make sure our scouting goes beyond GB

If we recruited Trent Alexander-Arnold, Virgil van Dijk, Andrew Robertson, and Ethan Ampadu, then we will still have room in the squad for six more defenders plus two more under 21s players. Currently, we have six defenders Christie, Hector, Mawson, Ream, MLM, and Bryan, plus under 21s Dramah and S.Sess.

Are you seriously suggesting that if we had 1st XI: TAA, Hector, van Dijk, Robertson; 2nd XI: Christie, Ampadu, Mawson, Bryan; 3rd XI: Dramah, MLM, Ream, S.Sess that we would also need more defensive depth to the squad at center back? And, therefore need to replace Ream before the season beings?

Tim Ream's 25k per week wages can be accommodated in a total budger of 3,000k per week, plus Ream can have the 25th spot in the squad because players like Dramah, Ampadu, S.Sess, Stansfield, and Jaspers that are under 21-years-old don't count to the squad size.

My opinion is if we recruit Ethan Ampadu plus a new RB, new CB, and new LB with the existing squad, then we have more than enough depth defensively  for the first half of the season. We don't need to replace Ream, and MLM also, besides we probably cannot afford replacing them too.

If the younger reserves perform, Ream might become surplus to requirements even as a squad player, but more likely is somehow Ream ends up making his way back into the starting XI despite Fulham investing in more center-backs. Let we remind you that last time we entered the premier league, we hired Chambers, Mawson, TFM and MLM of which four had played centre back in one of the top five leagues the previous season (three had played CB in the premier league the previous season), yet after those players failing Ream got in the XI most games. Hector had a shocking season in the Bundesliga a few years ago, we need to be prepared for more failing this season.

Hopefully, we can do marginally better than the second half of the last PL season in defensive and then after the winter transfer window improve again.  The goal is 17th for the season, which might have to mean we spend some time in the bottom three collecting less than a point per game points for an escape later for example when every player is fit or reinforcements come.   

MrFFC

We don't need to spend big money this summer I agree with Khan there but there is no doubt even if we only signed 2 players they need to be playing with clear Prem quality at RB & CB next to Hector. I wouldn't even care if we signed no one else as I think Anguissa back & Reed signed sorts the midfield. We simply have to get in a very good CB & RB with Reed coming back CDM if we do them 3 I'm happy
Come on you Whites!! :)

AnOldBrownie

I want Kongolo back...on a purchase. I don't know how many people noticed ...but the game where he injured himself...he played the last 10 minutes hurt.

I'd much rather have him as a backup LB/LCB than MLM...if healthy.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

Statto

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on August 11, 2020, 01:09:55 AM

Said it in an earlier comment, it shouldn't be costing us 100m especially in this market unless we get ideas above our station of "17th is a good season" and go for the big name players like Seri when I'd prefer to sign perhaps on paper "worse" players but players who'll scrap for every point next season and buy into the team spirit/mentality Parker's constantly talked about over the last year.

I've thought/said all along we need 4 signings minimum, 7 maximum. And of the 4 "needed", Harrison Reed would be one and I think everyone agrees that he's "only" 8m.

I'd be more than happy with spending ~50m this summer getting Harrison Reed, Babel and maybe Arter back in addition to 4 or 5 new faces which wouldn't be too many to where it would actively disrupt the dressing room.

£50m for Reed, Arter, Babel and 4-5 new faces? So about £8m each for the new faces, on average?

All based on your personal assumption that due to Covid "this market", which hasn't even started yet, will be cheaper than previous years.

That despite it being relatively obvious that proven PL players are going for £40m+ each (eg Ake) and good championship players (eg Benrahma, Watkins) aren't going anywhere for less than £20m.

JimOG

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 11, 2020, 07:49:43 AM
I want Kongolo back...on a purchase. I don't know how many people noticed ...but the game where he injured himself...he played the last 10 minutes hurt.

I'd much rather have him as a backup LB/LCB than MLM...if healthy.

Agreed - he has the pace and determination plus he fits Parker's view of not being another 'new boy'

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on August 11, 2020, 08:14:55 AM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on August 11, 2020, 01:09:55 AM

£50m for Reed, Arter, Babel and 4-5 new faces? So about £8m each for the new faces, on average?

All based on your personal assumption that due to Covid "this market", which hasn't even started yet, will be cheaper than previous years.

That despite it being relatively obvious that proven PL players are going for £40m+ each (eg Ake) and good championship players (eg Benrahma, Watkins) aren't going anywhere for less than £20m.

West Ham got 52 points in 18/19, then spent £108m of transfer fees and got 39 points in 19/20. You don't get a top player for £20m or £30m these days.  Any team getting promoted has to rely on teamwork to keep them up, because the existing premier league clubs outspend promoted teams when measured over a rolling average of several years. We can fix those weaknesses in our squad that existed in the championship, such as we need a better LCB and backups for LB and CF, but we cannot match West Ham's investment and probably need to beat them regardless. 

Riverside

I need a statistician to back me up
BUT if memory serves our tightest defence in the 18/19 was with Le Marchant and Ream as the CB pairing !!!!

I think we won all 3 games they played together as CBs ( and not part of 3 CBs )

Sat 13 Apr 201915:00 Everton
Craven Cottage (Home)W2 - 0
Att: 24,971

Sat 20 Apr 201915:00A.F.C. Bournemouth
Vitality Stadium (Away)W1 - 0
Att: 10,511

Sat 27 Apr 201915:00Cardiff CityCardiff City
Craven Cottage (Home)W1 - 0
Att: 23,822

FFC1987

I don't think there's really any validity to the argument that the market is any worse off due to Covid. You can argue maybe that struggling clubs will need to sell at cut prices maybe but I very much doubt thats the calibre of player we're looking for. As others have mentioned, championship clubs won't be selling best players for less than 20m or thereabouts so it's hardly depreciated.