more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Rumour: Betts tests positive

Started by alfie, May 27, 2020, 04:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sting of the North

Quote from: Atherton on May 28, 2020, 02:09:53 PM
The two players caught the virus in the same way as the 50,000 or so people who've died caught it. From close proximity to an infected person. It's not exactly rocket science.

Nothing is "rocket science" if you decide to overly simplify it to the point of it being meaningless to even try to discuss further. Your explanation is like saying that they caught the virus because they got infected, and actually explains nothing on their particular case. We don't know what constitutes close proximity, we don't know how long the virus may survive on various materials in various environments and we don't know if there are other factors contributing to why some get infected and some not. This means that they may not have been close to anyone infected at all by any reasonable definition, but instead at some point close to something that has previously been close to someone infected. As one example.

deadcowboys

If we continue with this daft notion IMO of completing the season, then Covid 19 might end up picking the team if infections get any greater. If we were playing next week, you would be praying the Fulham 2 were not Mitro & Hector.

Oakeshott

Gezkc

It is interesting that the contact tracers' advice is to try to find those who have either been within two metres of an infected person for fifteen minutes or more or who have had close face to face contact with an infected person. It doesn't seem from that that simply standing near someone in a supermarket for a few seconds is a risk, even if they are infected.

Thinking about these two criteria, my wife and I couldn't remember when we last met either, except with each other, since the virus began to emerge, and oddly enough just a few minutes later one of the LBC broadcasters made a similar point about himself and his family.

filham

Quote from: jarv on May 28, 2020, 12:01:51 PM
BBC just reported, 2 Fulham players have it. No names due to confidentiality.
The two players caught the virus in the same way as the 50,000 or so people who've died caught it. From close proximity to an infected person. It's not exactly rocket science.
Not necessarily so, they could have just touched the same door handle or even the same football.

glenhodgso

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 27, 2020, 05:52:52 PM
This season will fast turn into a joke, an outbreak in one team means a bunch of other teams will have an easy game. We could hypothetically get into Premier League because numerous Leeds or WBA got sick and lost the last 9 games of the season. There will be a number of players with Covid-19 as each club has 25 players and there are 24 teams, that's 600 people being tested in a country that has 1 in every 150 people are infected, which could be four teams affected.

This has to be a real risk.

What happens if the first team GKs all become infected?  Do you play a 15 y-o in goal?

I hope that this is properly though through or as you say it will fast becomes a farce !

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: glenhodgso on May 28, 2020, 05:32:08 PM
This season will fast turn into a joke, an outbreak in one team means a bunch of other teams will have an easy game. We could hypothetically get into Premier League because numerous Leeds or WBA got sick and lost the last 9 games of the season. There will be a number of players with Covid-19 as each club has 25 players and there are 24 teams, that's 600 people being tested in a country that has 1 in every 150 people are infected, which could be four teams affected.

What happens if the first team GKs all become infected?  Do you play a 15 y-o in goal?

I hope that this is properly though through or as you say it will fast becomes a farce !

I think it all has become a bit of a farce already.
All leagues should have been null n void a month ago,and all efforts put into starting next season off on schedule, with same fixtures as this one.

Statto

There is always a risk of injury and illness. Clubs regularly have to deal with 6 or 7 or more players being unavailable. I suspect there will be far more players out with regular breaks and strains than with coronavirus. In the event that a large number of players are out the authorities will just have to apply some common sense, as they have done in the past by allowing emergency loans for GKs, for example. I suspect if necessary, they will postpone fixtures. But on the stats so far, it seems likely they'll be able to complete the season, so I don't blame them for trying admirably to do that.

Arthur

Quote from: Statto on May 28, 2020, 05:56:51 PM
There is always a risk of injury and illness. Clubs regularly have to deal with 6 or 7 or more players being unavailable. I suspect there will be far more players out with regular breaks and strains than with coronavirus. In the event that a large number of players are out the authorities will just have to apply some common sense, as they have done in the past by allowing emergency loans for GKs, for example. I suspect if necessary, they will postpone fixtures. But on the stats so far, it seems likely they'll be able to complete the season, so I don't blame them for trying admirably to do that.

Well put. Agree.

If the current risk is deemed too great and football doesn't attempt to restart, I don't see how that risk will diminish any further until a vaccine is ready. And what if that were to take another 12 months? I venture that few footballers would want to be out of action for that length of time - not withstanding, I would imagine, there being few clubs who can afford to pay their players for a year when there is no revenue.

Deeping_white

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on May 28, 2020, 05:45:11 PM

I think it all has become a bit of a farce already.
All leagues should have been null n void a month ago,and all efforts put into starting next season off on schedule, with same fixtures as this one.

Seems to be going okay in Germany at the moment, and they had more positive tests in their first round of testing than we did.

junior white

Welll ets hope the 2 FFC guys with it self isolate responsibly and recover quickly.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: junior white on May 29, 2020, 07:14:33 AM
Welll ets hope the 2 FFC guys with it self isolate responsibly and recover quickly.

Let's hope it hasn't spread anywhere at the training facilitates or we could be losing five to ten players, which would mean our season is effectively over.

mrmicawbers

Ha ha really.Plus lots of other ways you should have mentioned.Rocket Science obviously not your subject.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 29, 2020, 07:42:06 AM

Let's hope it hasn't spread anywhere at the training facilitates or we could be losing five to ten players, which would mean our season is effectively over.

Really? They haven't even decided when the season will re-start yet, and going by the PL plans it's unlikely to be for at least a few weeks. How can you be fretting that it's already over?

One could even argue that it's better to get some more infections out the way now. As a London club, it's likely that 4 or 5 of our players have already had the virus, and with a couple more infected now, perhaps we aren't far off developing our very own herd immunity 
086.gif

junior white

I look at it as i hope they get well soon, i didnt look at the negative side just hoping those affected got well

The Swan

According to the telegraph Fulham have two players who tested positive for Coronavirus. Wonder who the other player is.
The Swan

Buffalo76

Wonder why the Blackburn player was named yet not ours.

junior white

Quote from: Buffalo76 on May 29, 2020, 09:19:21 AM
Wonder why the Blackburn player was named yet not ours.
Personal preference, he revealed it. All down to data protection and individuals choice

Twig

Quote from: Statto on May 29, 2020, 08:35:14 AM

Really? They haven't even decided when the season will re-start yet, and going by the PL plans it's unlikely to be for at least a few weeks. How can you be fretting that it's already over?

One could even argue that it's better to get some more infections out the way now. As a London club, it's likely that 4 or 5 of our players have already had the virus, and with a couple more infected now, perhaps we aren't far off developing our very own herd immunity 
086.gif

Statto, I don't necessarily disagree, you're probably right. But let's not put too much reliance on the concept of herd immunity, as of now there is no scientific proof of immunity at all.

Arthur

Quote from: Twig on May 29, 2020, 11:14:28 AM
086.gif

Statto, I don't necessarily disagree, you're probably right. But let's not put too much reliance on the concept of herd immunity, as of now there is no scientific proof of immunity at all.

In fairness, he has used an emoji which indicates he doesn't necessarily believe what he has written is true.

Statto

Quote from: Arthur on May 29, 2020, 11:19:19 AM
Quote from: Twig on May 29, 2020, 11:14:28 AM
086.gif

In fairness, he has used an emoji which indicates he doesn't necessarily believe what he has written is true.

I was being slightly facetious because I appreciate this is a controversial subject. In particular I appreciate the uncertainty Twig mentions about how long immunity lasts, and the ethical concerns about herd immunity as a 'solution' when it would involve many, many deaths of elderly/ vulnerable people before it is achieved.

Nonetheless I think it a valid point that those of our players being infected now are highly likely to have at least some level of immunity over the remainder of the season, including a potential play-off final a couple of months from now.