more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff - 31/05/20...

Started by WhiteJC, May 31, 2020, 09:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham Badgers' Hong Kong Tour

10 years ago today, the Fulham Badgers left Hong Kong following a trip of a lifetime for 14 of the players and their parents and coaches.

With five fun packed days in Hong Kong filled to the brim, and battling 30-degree heat on some days, the young people and their families took home memories that will last forever.

Fulham Badgers are the UK's first Down's Syndrome Football Team, and this trip saw them raise £60,000 in five months, in order to fund the first International Tour made by a UK Down's Syndrome Football Team.

Day One started with a trip to Harmony Manor, followed by pottery workshops and ball skills sessions before lunch. After lunch they participated in dance and exercise workshops.

Over the next two days, the Badgers had training sessions with two of Hong Kong's Down's Syndrome Teams and some of the professional players from Hong Kong FC. They were treated to dinner at some of the most exclusive restaurants and even a night at the horseracing at Happy Valley Racecourse.

The fourth day consisted of a tournament against the Hong Kong Dragons and the Hong Kong FC Crusaders. With the Fulham Badgers putting in strong performances and after joining the Hong Kong Teams for their end of season party, the Badgers were awarded gold medals from their new friends. For the last day, the Badgers and their parents took in the sights, before preparing themselves for the journey home.

Now 10 years on... we caught up with four of the players and parents who went on the tour. Ben, Paul and Deryn who are now in their 30s, and Orla who was just 11 at the time of the tour.

Did you make friends with the other players/parents?

Ben – "We were already friends!"

Paul's Dad – "From my perspective it was my first time with the Badgers since I was unable to make it down to the training sessions.  We had a good time and a few of us parents and players used to visit the bar down the street from our hotel and one night the some of players joined in with the locals doing karaoke. While watching the games, the locals brought out jugs of Pimms for the parents - we all agreed it was a bit different ambience to Craven Cottage which is much more a "pie and a pint" location!"

Orla's Mum – "Orla had joined only a short time before this trip was mooted, so neither of us really knew anyone at the time. The whole experience was a revelation! We got to know everyone very well, and to this day those friendships with other players and parents are still solid.

There was a lovely sense of fun around the whole time. Being able to watch the football practices outdoors in warm weather, sitting in the stands was wonderful, and we had time to chat! We got to know the very humorous, the musical members, and the good (and not so good!) dancers. We were able to help each other out in other ways like giving each other advice"

Deryn's Mum – "Yes we spent quite a lot of time interacting with the other players and parents. We were made to feel very welcome."

What was your favourite part of the trip or your best memory?

Ben – "Scoring the first goal of the tournament!"

Ben's Mum – "Going to the racing."

Paul's Dad – "Paul really enjoyed playing on the pitch with the floodlights, the dinner with the opposition after the games and the lunch at the Floating restaurant."
Orla's Mum – "So many very special memories! Don't know where to start! I suppose being hosted for an evening at a very prestigious venue made us aware of just how big a deal this journey was. But equally, being shown around one of their communities for young adults to continue education was a revelation, especially for us as it gave us an idea of what is possible for the future for our kids as they grow up."

Deryn – "My best memory was meeting people from a different country and trying different food that I haven't tried before."

Deryn's Mum – "So many highlights - We had a lot of happy times at the Happy Valley Racecourse and Football Club; an evening race meeting, football tournament, our 'thank you' evening.  Our visit to Sir David Tang's China Club was amazing, something we would never have experienced ordinarily.  Our brilliant tour guide 'Slim Richard', visits to Chinese Temples, the Floating Restaurant and the tram ride up to The Peak. As well as visiting the Harmony Respite Centre to see how disabled people are looked after."

What did it mean to you to be a part of the Badgers' Hong Kong Tour?

Ben – "Being part of a proper team!"

Ben's Mum – "Being part of a group, and not standing out because we are different. It was a great experience, good bonding time for everyone, very well organized. A real life changing experience on so many levels."

Paul's Dad – "It was a great trip and was very well organised."

Orla's Mum – "Being a part of the Badgers is very special. We were treated so well throughout the trip, by all our hosts and all the Fulham and Down Syndrome representatives. Which let us feel very special ourselves. It has left me feeling very humble that people would do so much for us, and with an abiding respect for all concerned at the time, and since. It was the experience of a lifetime. I'm so happy we had the chance to be there for it."

Deryn – "It was amazing to be a part of the team; it was fun playing football out in the sun with other people. It was a worldwide experience, thank you for organising the trip I was glad to be part of the team."

Deryn's Mum – "It was an experience of a lifetime, which took a lot of organisation, am so thankful to FFC for the opportunity!

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/may/30/fulham-badgers-hong-kong-tour

WhiteJC

Coronavirus: Jayden Stockley among 10 positive tests in Championship; seven in League Two

Preston say they have conducted 143 tests on players and staff at their training ground in the last 10 days, with Stockley their only positive

Preston North End have confirmed striker Jayden Stockley was one of 10 positive Covid-19 tests across eight Championship clubs in the latest round of testing.

There were also seven positive tests confirmed in League Two.

A total of 1,058 tests were carried out in Championship clubs on Thursday and Friday; four clubs and 135 individuals took part from League Two.

All of those who tested positive will begin a period of self-isolation.

Middlesbrough, Fulham and Cardiff have each confirmed one positive test from the most recent round of testing.

There is no programme of testing for League One at present.

There were no new positives from the latest round of testing in the Premier League on Thursday and Friday.

Preston's Stockley, 26, is described by his club "asymptomatic and feeling no ill effects".

"It came as a complete shock. I got a call from the doctor when I came back from training," said Stockley.

"I felt brilliant in training, put a good session in and his number came up. We were aware we would get a call if our test was positive and I was thinking 'no, surely not', but he told me and it was a surreal moment.

"You feel like you are untouchable and you are going to ride through it."

The four League Two clubs involved in the latest round of testing were Exeter, Cheltenham, Colchester and Northampton, who occupy the four play-off berths. Teams in League Two have already indicated they wish to end the season but the promotion play-offs are expected to go ahead.

Colchester say four people tested positive at their club, while Northampton confirmed their physiotherapist Ignacio Herrando was their only positive test. Herrando is described as "asymptomatic and feeling no ill effects".

Exeter returned two positives and Cheltenham none.

Blackburn captain Elliott Bennett and two unnamed Fulham players tested positive for coronavirus in the previous round of testing in the Championship.

Two people at Hull were confirmed to have the virus after the first round of testing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52864659

WhiteJC

EFL: Leagues One and Two play-offs to be before Championship play-offs

Football in England has been suspended since 13 March

The League One and League Two play-offs are likely to be held before the Championship play-offs in an effort to help clubs deal with difficult contractual situations.

The Football League confirmed on Friday that a meeting will be held on 8 June, when clubs will vote on whether to allow seasons to be curtailed if the majority in each league requests it.

League Two clubs have already decided that is the route they wish to go down but, so far, no consensus has been reached in League One.

The idea of halting that division has met with vehement opposition from some clubs, with both Tranmere and Peterborough threatening legal action.

Whatever the outcome of the votes, it is intended that the final promotion slot in both divisions will be decided by the normal play-off format, starting with a two-legged semi-final.

In normal circumstances, play-off matches across the three EFL divisions are scheduled in close proximity.

That will not be the case this season.

The Championship is likely to return about 20 June, with clubs set to start contact training on Monday if they meet the criteria in their protocols and complete the appropriate risk assessments.

The Championships play-offs would then take place in late July with the final - potentially - at the beginning of August, meaning clubs will need to agree the use of short-term contract extensions for those players whose deals expire on 30 June, as the Premier League has done.

However, even though all the clubs involved are keen for the League One and Two play-offs to be completed, they also have a significant number of players whose contracts expire on 30 June.

The EFL is mindful of the decisions that need to be made about retaining or releasing players in a period in which fans are not allowed in stadiums, and the major adverse impact that has on club budgets.

As a result it plans to hold the League One and Two play-offs as soon as practically possible to avoid a negative impact on the four clubs taking part in the play-offs, particularly the three that do not gain promotion.

It is still anticipated all three finals will be played at Wembley.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52854470

WhiteJC

COVID-19 Testing Update

Following the completion of the third round of league-wide testing for COVID-19 at the end of the week, we can confirm that one player, unnamed for medical confidentiality reasons, has tested positive. In line with league and government guidance, the player is now self-isolating.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/may/30/covid-19-testing-update

WhiteJC