watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Foreign Football Teams

Started by Russianrob, June 03, 2020, 11:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyk

All I ever wanted for Christmas was a Dukla Prague away kit.

gerrys

Inter as I lived in Milan for 30-odd years and Como where I have been living for the last 11 years....

mrmicawbers

Funny I used to look out for Falkirk and Forfar back in the day when the came up with Fulham on the Pontoon.

MisfitKid

The only other football club I care about is my local team, San Jose Earthquakes (MLS).  They are usually complete crap, but I stick with them through thick & thin (same with Fulham).  The only title they are usually vying for is a trophy we call the "Wooden Spoon"...  COYW & COYQ!!
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

cmg

Quote from: bog on June 05, 2020, 01:27:04 PM
Many, many years ago I learnt of Torino's horrific plane crash in 1949. They were a top club in Italy then, every player was killed and they have never really recovered from that tragedy. I like to keep an eye on their results.

When the aircraft carrying the Torino team back from a match in Lisbon crashed in bad weather into a hill just outside Turin, it was a disaster for Torino and for Italian football greater even than that of Munich for Manchester United and English football. All the Torino players were killed, which was also the bulk of the Italy squad.
Among the dead was Valentino Mazzola one of the greatest Italian footballers of all time. His young son, Sandro, grew up to become, in his turn, one of the finest Italian footballers of his time.
Wiki has this rather nice picture of 7 year old Sandro just a few months before his father's death.

Kemosabe

I lived and worked in Istanbul for several years.  Never actually went to a football game but, if asked (which happened often - mostly taxi drivers enquiring), I would always say that Besiktas was my preferred team because they play in black & white like Fulham. 

Slightly regret never going to a game.  For a period (until they built a big hotel in the way) I could actually see down the hill from my office to Besiktas's ground across the road from the Dolmabahce Palace.  Actually, another good reason to pick Besiktas - if you think the location of Craven Cottage by the Thames is cool, Vodafone Park (which was the Inonu Stadyum when I was there) is even more spectacular, next to the Bosphorus and a proper palace and the only top flight ground where you could see two continents.

I did see Madonna perform there back in the early 90s....

Vinnieffc

Quote from: RoyTund on January 21, 2021, 12:14:44 PM
1860 Munich. The real team in the city with as annoying Chelsea style upstarts or worse.

Slavia Sofia, also play in white and black.
Chelsea style upstarts? In what respect? Never noticed anything untoward back in the early 80's. Mind you the old Olympiastadion was never exactly packed for home games [emoji12]

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Vinnieffc

Quote from: mrmicawbers on January 21, 2021, 05:36:28 PM
Real Ale Madrid.Our Quiz teams name.
Our Quiz Team name was Norfolk Ingood as one of the lads was/is from Norwich..

bobbo

Quote from: gerrys on January 21, 2021, 07:54:17 PM
Inter as I lived in Milan for 30-odd years and Como where I have been living for the last 11 years....
your just trying , and succeeding in making me jealous , living in Como , having traveled a fair bit lake come is one of the most beautiful places anywhere.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Lyle from Hangeland

I studied abroad in Germany, in Bonn. I then spent a summer working in a small town about 12km from the Belgian border in Rheinland-Pfalz. Both places were considered to bein the 1. FC Koeln catchment area. So I also follow the Billy Goats or Effzeh, but not as religiously as Fulham.

Fulham Gentleman

Quote from: Fulham Gentleman on June 12, 2020, 04:16:11 PM
I followed Seoul Martyrs for a bit when I lived in Korea, but it was mainly for comic value. I enjoy watching football, even when its not Fulham involved, but find it difficult to support anyone else.

I also followed Seoul Martyrs for the same reason when I lived in Korea. Never had a name matched a club as well.

Going back to the original question, I do not really support clubs other than Fulham. However, I do have a soft spot for both Grand Rapids FC in the US and FC Groningen in the Netherlands. I was apparently born in the city of Grand Rapids and spent my first year there, though with the US not having promotion and relegation, following lower league teams is pointless. I saw Groningen play on a preseason tour they did in 2012 to Korea. I made many friends with their travelling supporters.  Also coincidently, I later discovered while doing a genealogy that my great-grandfather was born in the rural villages to the north of the city.

mullers

Back in the '90's I was sitting in a bar in Malaga practicing my Spanish by reading a local paper and how Malaga FC had fallen apart. Without going into details they were relegated to the amateur leagues and had the club name taken off them [they had to call themselves 'Los Malaguenos' for a while] as we fell into the fourth division. Then we got promoted and so did Malaga. The same a couple of years later and then we both arrived in back in the top division the same season, both staying up. Then both clubs qualified for the Inter Toto, both won it, and I put £50 on Fulham to play Malaga in the EUFA. Never happened but I've followed them ever since.

Vinnieffc

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on January 24, 2021, 01:27:59 PM
I studied abroad in Germany, in Bonn. I then spent a summer working in a small town about 12km from the Belgian border in Rheinland-Pfalz. Both places were considered to bein the 1. FC Koeln catchment area. So I also follow the Billy Goats or Effzeh, but not as religiously as Fulham.
I worked in Muenchen and followed TSV1860

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: Vinnieffc on January 25, 2021, 03:10:49 PM

Toll! They are slowly moving back up the Liga.

Vinnieffc

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on January 25, 2021, 05:08:32 PM

Yeh still in div 3 but doing OK. Moved back to the original stadium after years of ground sharing with Bayern at the Olympiastadion and the Allianz. Still keep my eye out for their results even though I haven't a clue who they're playing in the lower leagues.. Tschuess [emoji4]

Penfold

Quote from: Vinnieffc on January 25, 2021, 07:02:34 PM
Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on January 25, 2021, 05:08:32 PM

Yeh still in div 3 but doing OK. Moved back to the original stadium after years of ground sharing with Bayern at the Olympiastadion and the Allianz. Still keep my eye out for their results even though I haven't a clue who they're playing in the lower leagues.. Tschuess [emoji4]

Recently won the local Derby v Bayern. OK, only Bayern U21s but I bet the Sechzig fans enjoyed it!