watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

It's going to be a tough month, but..

Started by General, June 09, 2020, 12:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Just read the BBC's must watch games on today's fulham news thread and have to say got my head back into the highs and lows of the season and highlighted how big the last month of football will be for us and how it could ebb and flow.

With Brentford up first it wont be easy, we were grinding out wins before the close and they had Pontus Jansson out injured, who has since made a recovery and is key for them. Had the season continued and covid not been a factor (I know it is), i'd have been quietly confident we could have given them a good game and possibly got a win, definitely a draw.

With football being off for so long and all clubs preparing for a mini season of sorts and a desire to really kick/push on - this game will be a huge statement of intent from both sets of players, with almost a full contingent of players back from injuries to pick from. Going to be heart in mouth for me, hoping we do ourselves proud and push on, especially with Leeds and West Brom games still to come.

With the difference between us Leeds and West Brom just 6 points and having Brentford in 4th, and both of them to play, we still are well within our rights to think we have a chance of automatic promotion and even to win the title. I appreciate Leeds and West Brom have had better seasons and Brentford have also looked very threatening and all will be thinking the same, but it definitely makes for an exciting end to the season in this mini-tournament of sorts.

Has anyone else been keeping an eye on Leeds, West Brom and Brentford social media/player updates etc to see what their news is and if there are things to be aware of both negatives and positives?

Going to be difficult to do pre-game research under these conditions.

Woolly Mammoth

Nothing to fear except ourselves, it is in our hands and I accept that Brentford, Leeds and West Brom will be tough games to win, but it will also be tough for them against Fulham.
Not forgetting other matches still to play against teams like Forest, Wednesday, QPR etc etc, will all be tough. But it will be tough for them also.
With our squad which may not be the finished article, should still be good enough to overcome any team in this Division.
Of course doing exactly that on the day is a different kettle of fish.
However, we still have a great chance of finishing the job, whether by automatic or play off.
It is indeed in our own hands, and always has been, we just have to execute our plans by doing the business on the field of play with the talent we have.   
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

General

Wondering how much it effects our ability to play our own game and win having an open side/no stand on one of the sides of the ground with no real wind break... wondering if that'll be a disadvantage to us? Felt it had an impact on the games I saw before lockdown.

filham

Quote from: General on June 09, 2020, 12:24:26 PM
Wondering how much it effects our ability to play our own game and win having an open side/no stand on one of the sides of the ground with no real wind break... wondering if that'll be a disadvantage to us? Felt it had an impact on the games I saw before lockdown.
I think that Leeds will miss their fans more than we will miss ours, not really a positive but a double negative that could help us.

FFC1987

I'm worried for us to be honest. We don't tend to hit the ground running and generally need a run of games to really get going. That momentum has been taken away from us.......Really hope i'm wrong but I think we'll finish 5th-6th.

Fernhurst

5th or 6th aghhhh and our Bogey team Bristol City sneak into play-offs.... the stuff of nightmares.
Go full out for automatics boys.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

filham

Quote from: FFC1987 on June 09, 2020, 01:03:56 PM
I'm worried for us to be honest. We don't tend to hit the ground running and generally need a run of games to really get going. That momentum has been taken away from us.......Really hope i'm wrong but I think we'll finish 5th-6th.
[/quoteI really can't see us catching Leeds or Brom. so
Quote from: Fernhurst on June 09, 2020, 01:10:23 PM
5th or 6th aghhhh and our Bogey team Bristol City sneak into play-offs.... the stuff of nightmares.
Go full out for automatics boys.

I really can't see us catching Leeds or Brom, so 5th or 6th will be just as good as 3rd, then by the play offs we should have settled into form.

SuffolkWhite

I said top 6 at the beginning of the season and the way the fixtures look anything is possible, I just hope we click and play well.

Looking forward to football again  049:gif
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

terryr

None of us know how match fit the players are or could possibly be at this stage.
Happily everyone is in the same boat....

cottage expat

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 09, 2020, 12:21:04 PM
Nothing to fear except ourselves, it is in our hands and I accept that Brentford, Leeds and West Brom will be tough games to win, but it will also be tough for them against Fulham.
Not forgetting other matches still to play against teams like Forest, Wednesday, QPR etc etc, will all be tough. But it will be tough for them also.
With our squad which may not be the finished article, should still be good enough to overcome any team in this Division.
Of course doing exactly that on the day is a different kettle of fish.
However, we still have a great chance of finishing the job, whether by automatic or play off.
It is indeed in our own hands, and always has been, we just have to execute our plans by doing the business on the field of play with the talent we have.   

Well said !

General

Was wondering how preseason form compares across all four of the top four clubs. Perhaps that may help give us a better indication of what to expect as there will be no friendlies before everything kicks off.

SuffolkWhite

Just a thought, but I'm sure I read somewhere that there will be more subs? this will surely make games a bit different tactically and may benefit the better quality squad!
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Riversider

Fulham v QPR play off Final,  I can see it happening.