watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 19/06/20...

Started by WhiteJC, June 19, 2020, 08:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

'The only way' – Tom Cairney makes prediction ahead of blockbuster Leeds v Fulham clash

Fulham captain Tom Cairney has predicted that the team that "dogs it out" and goes the extra mile will come out on top in the Championship, ahead of the blockbuster clash with Leeds United.

He said that the "best footballing side" will not necessarily triumph in the remaining nine games and that the "only way is to hit the ground running".

Fulham are seven points behind Leeds and, realistically, the only side that can catch Marcelo Bielsa's men in the race for the top-two now.

Fulham travel to Elland Road a week on Saturday and a slip-up for the Londoners there would likely condemn them to the play-offs, or worse.

Talking to the BBC Cairney said, "I don't think the best footballing side will necessarily have the most success.

"It will be the team that dogs it out, stays together and goes that extra mile for each other when it gets really hard.

"Everyone has got an excuse – it is easy at a time like this to say why it went wrong or why you are not performing, or why you didn't get promoted.

"You have got a big excuse and I think the team which won't look to have those excuses will be most successful... The only way is to hit the ground running."

Best and the fittest?

We think Leeds are the best footballing side in the Championship.

That's not just our bias though. Leeds are in elite company in the 19/20 season, with just Bayern Munich, Barcelona, PSG and Man City above them for possession.

That's from all five big leagues in Europe and England's four divisions.

However, Leeds have also proved that they've got elite-level fitness and character, and we're looking for another of their fast starts.

They've come out like a rocket in both campaigns under Bielsa.

We can't remember a squad togetherness like the current one for a long time.

The players are a unit, they play as one and all of them are on the same page – getting Leeds into the Premier League.

They know that will make them all Leeds' legends and they'll get a chance to take their careers onto the next level in the Premier League under Marcelo Bielsa.

https://motleedsnews.com/matchday/the-only-way-tom-cairney-makes-prediction-ahead-of-blockbuster-leeds-v-fulham-clash/

WhiteJC

'I think Brentford could nick a win' – Fulham face Brentford in huge west London derby: The verdict

This article is part of Football League World's 'The Verdict' series, which provides personal opinions from the FLW writers regarding the latest breaking news, teams, players, managers, potential signings and more...

The EFL Championship returns this weekend and Fulham host Brentford to kick it all off.

This west London derby at Craven Cottage has more riding on it than normal with both clubs firmly in the hunt for promotion to the Premier League.

Scott Parker's Fulham currently occupy third spot in the league, six points adrift of second placed West Brom, whilst the Bees sit four points away from Fulham in fourth.

How will this game play out? Especially after such a lengthy break in football?

The team here at Football League World offer up their views.....

George Dagless

It's so hard to call.

I think we'll either see a narrow Fulham win or an impressive Brentford win by a few goals – it all depends on who starts this one the better.

Fulham have been hard to beat this year but they've not killed enough games off and with Brentford's attack in mind that is a worrying trait.

I'd not be surprised by any result in truth this weekend, given how close they are, but I do feel as though this is a great chance for Brentford and their attacking trio to really make a statement.

I'm siding with the Bees right now, but ask me again tomorrow and I'll have probably changed my mind!

Jacob Potter

I think Brentford could nick a win here.

The Bees have impressed me throughout this year's campaign, and I'm expecting them to pick up where they left off when they return to action.

Fulham have been equally as impressive though, and will be hoping they can keep their faint automatic promotion chances alive with a positive result against Thomas Frank's side.

Brentford looked sharp against Arsenal recently, as they beat the Gunners at the Emirates Stadium in a friendly.

With their key players back to full fitness as well, I can see the likes of Said Benrahma and Ollie Watkins playing a key role for them on the day against the Cottagers.

I'll be bold and say that the Bees will win this game 2-1, but if Fulham are at their best, they're going to cause Brentford a number of problems.

A crucial six-pointer.

Ned Holmes

I think this one is going to be quite tight and cagey but we might see some late drama.

The rustiness is certainly going to play a part and both sides have resolute defences, so it could be a case of who takes their opportunities.

I fancy Brentford to nick this one to kick-start their promotion push. With Jansson back I think they could really pile some pressure on the top two, starting at Craven Cottage.

That said, it could come down to a moment of magic or just who can deal with the unusual new-normal the best.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/i-think-brentford-could-nick-a-win-fulham-face-brentford-in-huge-west-london-derby-the-verdict/

WhiteJC

Knockaert in: The Fulham XI we expect Parker to play v Brentford on Saturday

The Sky Bet Championship returns this weekend and one of the biggest games to take place sees a west London derby between Fulham and Brentford played out on Saturday lunchtime.

The pair are going for promotion this season and will want to secure play-off places as quickly as possible, though the top two isn't out of reach just yet.

With that in mind, then, we're taking a look at the Fulham XI we think Scott Parker could decide to field:

Marek Rodak has made the number one spot his own this season and Marcus Bettinelli could well be tempted to look for a move in the summer.

The back four will need to be bang at it to keep Brentford's superb attack at bay, so look for big performances from Michael Hector and Tim Ream in the middle, whilst Joe Bryan getting up and down could be pivotal in the territorial battle.

Parker has plenty of options to use in midfield thanks to the break in the season and Harrison Reed is back fit so he could be tempted to have him as the anchor behind Tom Cairney and Bobby Reid.

Cairney is being vocal in how Fulham have a chance of making the top two, winning here would be a big early statement.

Up top, Aboubakar Kamara was pushing for a start before the break but perhaps Parker will revert to the three we have seen so often in Ivan Cavaleiro, Anthony Knockaert and Aleksandar Mitrovic.

The trio have the ability to fire Fulham up and they'll be looking to put Brentford's front three in the shade here.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/knockaert-in-the-fulham-xi-we-expect-parker-to-play-v-brentford-on-saturday/

WhiteJC

Jansson in: The Brentford XI we expect Frank to play v Fulham on Saturday

The Sky Bet Championship returns this weekend and one of the biggest games to take place sees a west London derby between Fulham and Brentford played out on Saturday lunchtime.

The pair are going for promotion this season and will want to secure play-off places as quickly as possible, though the top two isn't out of reach just yet.

Here, then, we're taking a look at the XI that Thomas Frank could well field to try and get three points from this match:

David Raya is bound to start in goal after having a good season since joining the club.

Frank has the ability to switch his tactical formations up a little bit so it remains to be seen how exactly the Bees shape-up, but the personnel should be something a long the lines of the above.

Pontus Jansson is back in alongside Ethan Pinnock and that factor cannot be ignored in terms of how important for the Bees he could be.

In Dalsgaard and Henry at full-back, the Bees have two very good players and they'll be eager to keep the wide-men of Fulham quiet.

Christian Norgaard has an important job in midfield as the Bees look to win the battle for possession, whilst it'll then be up to Josh Dasilva and Emiliano Marcondes to get the ball into the front three.

Up top, it's the usual suspects.

Fulham have good attackers but the chemistry that Brentford's have is unrivalled in this league.

They'll be eager to fire the Bees to promotion at the end of this season and winning this weekend will be a big step in the right direction.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/jansson-in-the-brentford-xi-we-expect-frank-to-play-v-fulham-on-saturday/

WhiteJC

Head Coach press conference

Scott Parker addressed the media in isolated circumstances on Thursday afternoon.

Sitting on his own in the Communications Office at Motspur Park, Parker joined an online video meeting with journalists ahead of the Championship restart on Saturday.

"It's different," the Fulham Head Coach admitted. "I sit here looking at a screen with no one else around me.

"It's different but last night football was back on our screens which is the main positive to take. We all realise, and that's my message to players and staff, we're living in a world that is difficult at this present moment in time.

"Has there been changes in the three weeks we've been back? Of course there has. There have been hurdles to jump and challenges to embrace. You need to be flexible and you need to be adaptable.

"If you can work out a way of getting the best performance out of your group, then you're doing well. When you're working every day, you see it. It's about installing a drive and achieving your goal."

Fulham and Brentford will play out the first game of the Championship's restart at the weekend, when the local rivals do battle in Saturday's lunchtime kick-off.

It will be an unusual situation for Parker and his troops, as they fight for three vital points in what will be effectively a near-empty Craven Cottage.

"That's a big challenge," he said. "You can prepare the team but there's little obstacles. What you can't do is understand the impact an empty stadium will have on the players.

"Any manager sitting there, whether they're new to it or been in the job 25 years, will have to adapt. You're constantly trying to prepare for problems or protocols but you're always second guessing. Things change so quickly that you need to be ready.

"Playing at your home stadium with familiar surroundings can still be seen as an advantage. Time will only tell, but I can't see it being a leveller. You'd prefer being there with fans than not. We'll have to wait and see and make a judgement after nine games."

The West London derby is a mouth-watering fixture to get the second tier back under way with, and Parker knows that it's certainly one to whet the appetite.

"Lockdown and football ending didn't come at a good time for us or Brentford," he stated. "We were top of the form table in the last 16 games, Brentford were second.

"We were the form teams. That's why it was anticipated as a tasty clash, with the added edge of a derby.

"The facts are we're having to go back into it after three months. I understand what this means and what it means to the fans.

"It'll be a tough game against a very good side. It'll be a big challenge and Brentford will be feeling the same.

"I hope the intensity is still high [without fans]. In football that comes from a couple of things; physicality, and the mindset of what the occasion brings.

"There's no denying that two weeks of contact training isn't ideal, and you saw last night [in the Premier League] that brought a slower game.

"My team are in a good place and we know what's at stake with a derby against your rivals from around the corner. That should add a spice and edge. We'll understand that and so will Brentford."

The lockdown has at least provided teams with an opportunity to nurse previously injured players back to health, and Parker believes his group is in a good place.

"The squad is looking okay," he revealed. "We had a couple of injury concerns early on which had a bit of an impact, but we're good now.

"We're going into the nine games prepared and everyone will be needed and used. We're pretty well full strength and raring to go."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/june/18/head-coach-press conference

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham vs. Brentford - prediction, team news, lineups

West London rivals Fulham and Brentford face off at Craven Cottage on Saturday lunchtime in a huge clash at the top end of the Championship.

Fulham are third in the table, six points off the automatic promotion places, while neighbours Brentford are four points further back in fourth.

Match preview
The three-month hiatus came at a bad time for Fulham, who had some momentum on their side in their pursuit of a top-two finish.

Scott Parker's side beat Swansea City and Preston North End in successive home games, sandwiched by away draws at Derby County and Bristol City, to close the gap on second place.

West Bromwich Albion picked up just one point from the last six on offer, though they are still six points better off than Fulham with only nine matches left to play.

Fulham know that they have to hit the ground running if they are to have a realistic shot of going up automatically, but they have two very tough games on their return to action.

After taking on Brentford this weekend, Parker's men then turn focus to league leaders Leeds United the following week, while a trip to West Brom is also on the horizon.

Brentford are not entirely out of the automatic promotion picture, with a favourable set of results this week potentially seeing them move to within seven points of second.

However, the immediate priority for the Bees is to hold off the chasing pack to secure a playoff spot, with just seven points separating them and Swansea down in 11th.

Thomas Frank's side had a mixed time of things prior to the coronavirus-enforced shutdown, following a five-match winless run with a thumping 5-0 victory over Sheffield Wednesday.

They remain winless in three away from home, though, and that could prove problematic as Fulham boast the best home form in the division - 12 wins and two draws in 19 matches.

Incredibly, however, the Cottagers have won just one of their last 18 home games against Brentford in all competitions - a 1-0 victory back in April 1990.

That is a run that they will need to put an end to on Saturday if they are to keep alive their hopes of an automatic return to the Premier League at the first attempt.

Fulham's Championship form: DLDWWD

Brentford's Championship form: DDDLDW

Team News
Fulham will be without loanee Terence Kongolo for the remainder of the season because of a foot injury sustained in February.

Central defender Alfie Mawson will also miss this first game back because of a knee problem, but Parker otherwise has a fully-fit squad to choose from.

That includes a fit and firing Aleksandar Mitrovic, who leads the Championship scoring charts and has won more points with his goals than any other player in the league this term.

The prolonged hiatus, meanwhile, has given Brentford an opportunity to get some key players back to full fitness.

Pontus Jansson, Mathias Jensen and Kamo Mokotjo would have sat this match out had it gone ahead as originally scheduled in March, but all three players are now available.

Said Benrahma has formed an impressive partnership with Ollie Watkins and Bryan Mbeumo this season, leading to speculation that he is a target for Premier League giants Chelsea.

Fulham possible starting lineup:
Rodak; Christie, Hector, Ream, Bryan; Arter, Cairney; Knockaert, Reid, Cavaleiro; Mitrovic

Brentford possible starting lineup:
Martin; Dalsgaard, Pinnock, Jansson, Henry; Mokotjo, Jensen, Dasilva; Mbeumo, Watkins, Benrahma

We say: Fulham 2-1 Brentford

Brentford have won just two of their last 10 away league outings, while Fulham have an unrivalled 38 home points this term in the second tier. Form may ultimately go out of the window this weekend, but we are still backing the hosts to grind out all three points against their West London rivals.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/championship-promotion-race/preview/preview-fulham-vs-brentford-prediction-team-news-lineups_402932.html

WhiteJC

Chairman's Notes

Have a read of Mr Khan's Chairman notes which will appear in Saturday's matchday programme.

I hope you have been well during the time that's passed since our home match vs. Brentford was postponed only hours ahead of kick-off on March 13. The decision at the time felt like it was the correct one, and obviously that has been proven a thousand times over since then.

That we will compete today, after three months off with strict protective protocols in place during training and on matchdays through the rest of the season, also feels like the right call. If we continue to respect the guidance of health and safety officials, I have confidence that the league's plan to resume and finish the season can be successfully achieved.

I certainly hope so, as there is no debating the importance of football to the overall well-being of the nation, and no underestimating the emotional loss people everywhere endured not having their favourite club to follow just as the run-ins were about to heat up. To be clear, football had to pause. The world had to pause. We were, and are, coping with a global health crisis that continues to claim thousands of lives and impact millions of families throughout the world. We're happy for the return of football, but let's always be mindful and respectful of those whose lives have been forever changed by losing a loved one due to COVID-19. In that spirit, let's also continue to pay tribute to essential workers here and throughout the world by doing the simplest but most important thing possible – taking the appropriate precautions to prevent the spread of this deadly virus.

I also want to take this occasion before we return to play to share a few personal thoughts on racism and the damage that it continues to wreak in all corners of the world.

To imagine racism as incurable is inconceivable. But, recent moments of bigotry and racial injustice against black Americans and people of colour throughout the world, just in 2020 alone and each heartbreaking and horrific, remind us that our centuries-long failure to remedy the plague of racism has possibly presented us with our greatest challenge today as a global community. Bar none.

As a minority who has been personally and professionally victimised by racism throughout my life, and that includes the present day, I wanted to commit some thoughts to paper on this uncomfortable subject. So, two weeks ago, shortly following the killing of George Floyd, I wrote an essay in the United States that addressed my lifetime concerns over racism and how it kills people, communities, dreams and hope. You can read my thoughts at fulhamfc.com, as I would like the sentiments I expressed then and there to also represent my feelings here and now.

I have something to add, however, and it is inspired by the wonderful world of London.

I never know where to start when describing all I love about London, but never overlooked is the diversity of its people. Few, if any, places in the world can offer quite the same cultural experience as visiting this City. Be assured, I am certainly not blind to the ugly episodes of racism and social injustice that occur here, but overwhelmingly, I feel a sense of community and belonging among people with distinctly multi-cultural backgrounds.

At any moment of everyday life here, it is possible to be sharing a situation with someone whose homeland, race, religion and interests are wildly different than yours. That's something to embrace! Even in the briefest, seemingly insignificant instance, London provides proof that diverse communities can live harmoniously, and offers hope that a better day is possible for inclusivity and understanding everywhere in the world.

To complete my thoughts on this, for now, I just want to say that during times like these, I am particularly proud to be a member of the Fulham Football Club family. No club is perfect, but within the game no club is better suited than Fulham to lead and set an example for civility, understanding, acceptance and celebration of all people through the power of football. We have a zero-tolerance posture against discriminatory and anti-social behaviour at Fulham, measures in place to serve our supporters and the game in that mission, and a history of doing the right thing for all involved. And that will always be so.

It is my custom when opening my programme notes to welcome you and visiting supporters to Craven Cottage, a locale for football unlike any other, and thanking you for spending your afternoon or evening with us on the banks of the River Thames. I wish I were doing that today, but as you know the resumption of the 2019/20 campaign was contingent on the matches being contested behind closed doors. It's very disappointing yet completely understandable, and it's what we advocated during deliberations over the past several weeks as a return to play was being considered. Our position from the start was to play out the final nine games of the season – subject to the safety and welfare of our players, coaches and staff – so the clubs that will enjoy promotion to the Premier League will have earned that privilege. If we're true to our identity of being a proper football club, the proper thing is to play.

With that, automatic promotion is still within reach, and our third-place standing entering today's match gives us every reason in the world to expect a minimum of Play-Off football. I'm optimistic on many fronts. Our squad is filled with players who have played integral roles in promoting clubs, and the availability of five substitutions per game should be an advantage for our team and the enviable depth we have at every position on the pitch. And while every team in the league has likely mended during the three-month layoff, I am not sure there is a better side in the league when healthy than Fulham. Yes, the fixtures are challenging, starting today with our London derby vs. Brentford and then next week at league-leader Leeds United, but there isn't a club in the Championship that will have a comfortable path to promotion or the Play-Offs. I'm sure you're with me in looking forward to what will be a most-unusual, memorable and hopefully rewarding final stage of any season in Fulham history.

Finally, don't underestimate your importance in willing Fulham to victory today and ultimately to promotion. We may not have you at Craven Cottage or jumping on the coach to back us on the road, but your support transcends personally attending the match. It's your day-to-day, never-ending energy and passion that puts our squad in the right mindset well before we arrive for any match, home or away. We'll need it more than ever, and I know we can count on you.

Wherever you may be watching or listening to today's match, please be healthy and safe, and give us everything you have. I hope you'll be able to join in with the #FULFORCE campaign on social media and play your part by pushing us on to the Premier League. You will make a difference!

Come on, Fulham!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/june/18/chairmans-notes

WhiteJC

Remembering When Knockaert & City Defied Their Watford Demons

Football often projects contrasting emotions to a mass audience, but even by its usual standards, the footage beamed around the world from Vicarage Road on 12 May, 2013 was dramatic.

It was the second leg of the Championship Play-Offs Semi-Finals and, with the scores locked at 2-2 on aggregate, visiting Leicester City were awarded a last-gasp penalty against Watford.

The Foxes had won the first leg 1-0 at King Power Stadium, courtesy of David Nugent's solitary strike, before finding themselves 2-1 behind in Hertfordshire, despite another smart Nugent effort.

A brace from Matej Vydra may have given the Hornets a lead on the day, but with the aggregate score being level, Anthony Knockaert's 90th-minute spot-kick, if scored, would have sent City to Wembley.

There was debate over the legitimacy of the decision, with the home side feeling harshly treated after Marco Cassetti was punished for a foul on Knockaert himself by referee Michael Oliver.

Few could have predicted what was about to follow, though, as home goalkeeper Manuel Almunia first saved Knockaert's penalty before smothering the rebound - and then Watford broke on the counter.

Leicester's fans were cursing their luck as extra-time and penalties awaited, but the commentary available on Sky Sports told a different tale as the nightmare deepened for the travelling Blue Army.

"Absolutely astonishing!" roared Sky's anchor that day. "Now, here come Watford. Forestieri... here's Hogg... Deeney! Do not scratch your eyes! You are really seeing the most extraordinary finish here!"

Despite being so close to a Wembley final, it was Watford who booked their place in the showpiece event, after remarkably rushing up the other end and scoring a dramatic last-minute winner.

The scenes which followed, before the referee's full-time whistle, saw hundreds of delirious Hornets fans rush onto the field, as the cameras focused in on a distraught Knockaert.

As Leicester came to terms with the events of that afternoon in Watford, manager Nigel Pearson built the foundations on a promotion bid which would bypass the necessity for play-offs. 

By the time the Foxes were back in Hertfordshire, the following season, Pearson's men had won nine of their opening 13 fixtures and occupied a place in the Championship's top two places.

Naturally, the pre-match conversation centred on the events of that May day in Watford, but Pearson nonetheless entrusted Knockaert - a major character in that particular drama - with a starting place.

Whether or not Leicester's players allowed the subtext to influence their preparations, it was a talking point, but it was quickly replaced by a new story on 2 November 2013, as City's promotion big gathered speed.

A freak goal from Chris Wood gave Leicester the lead early on before destiny stepped in to play a considerable role in proceedings, laying it up perfectly for Knockaert to defy his demons at Vicarage Road.

His riffled finish after the interval was a cathartic moment, both individually and collectively, before Lloyd Dyer's left-footed finish late on wrapped up a hard-earned victory for the flying Foxes.

Demons were defied in some style as City used a terrible experience seven months previously to galvanise themselves towards a greater achievement - automatic promotion from the Championship.

"The win was underpinned by the team's performance," Pearson said at full-time. "We always looked dangerous, I thought we counter-attacked particularly well but this year our ball management has been a lot better than last season. We're doing okay at the moment and the players have continued to put an awful lot of commitment into the season so far."

It turned out to be just one of 31 league victories for Pearson's men that season as the Foxes accumulated a stunning 102 points to finally end their 10-year exile from the Premier League.

On Saturday, the Foxes faithful will be hoping for another successful clash against the Hornets in Hertfordshire when the Premier League resumes in a 12:30pm BST kick-off.

https://www.lcfc.com/news/1642552/remembering-when-knockaert--city-defied-their-watford-demons/featured

WhiteJC

Stephen Kenny Names Midfield Trio Who Could Come Into Irish Squad

Irish manager Stephen Kenny has outlined that midfielders James McCarthy and Harry Arter could return to the international fold ahead of his first game in charge of the Boys in Green.

The FAI confirmed on Wednesday that Kenny's first game would come in the UEFA Nations League against Bulgaria in September, with the crucial Euro playoff against Slovakia taking place on October 8th.

The Boys in Green will also face Finland in the September double header and Kenny will be hoping to have a fully fit squad to choose from when international football returns.

It is expected that the new Irish boss will blood some of the young players coming through the ranks and speaking on FAITV he was quizzed about potential new additions to the squad.

Kenny name checked some older faces in James McCarthy and Harry Arter while also mentioning Irish U21 captain Jayson Molumby as someone who may be involved.

"It's great to have players available for selection and increase the competition. I think James McCarthy is an exceptional talent and the fact that he's played 22 games for Crystal Palace this season. We want to increase our options and hopefully he can get a run of games without injury. That'd be great for him.

"Harry Arter of course has only featured early on in the campaign away to Gibraltar, he played a few minutes but Harry has been in the system since U16s with Ireland and is having a good season with Fulham.

"Jayson Molumby, captain of the U21s, he's trying to get Millwall promoted this season and he's in the process of that. I think it's good to assess our options and have a level of competition."

McCarthy has of course not featured for Ireland since October of 2016 due to a mixture of injury and lack of playing time at club level while Arter, as Kenny mentioned, only played once during the Euro qualifiers against Gibraltar.

The addition of both, along with the impressive Molumby would add depth and quality to Ireland's midfield ahead of the autumn games.

Kenny also spoke highly of Shane Long and David McGoldrick, mentioning that the Sheffield United striker will have a big part to play for his team and could be the perfect 'complement' for some of the younger strikers Ireland have coming through.

"David's international career has come late. He really is at the peak of his career now. He's the focal point of the team who are competing for a Champions League place.

"People say, 'well he's not a prolific goalscorer,' but he got 15 goals getting Sheffield United promoted. He's a creator of goals and we've got a lot of good young strikers coming through. He'll complement them I feel with the attributes he has. He'll have a big impact on their careers.

"So yes, David is very important to us."

https://punditarena.com/football/oisinmcqueirns2758/stephen-kenny-midfielders-ireland/

WhiteJC

Hot Off The Press: Fulham

Fulham programme editor Tom Harvey previews Saturday's derby

Saturday's game takes centre stage as the first Championship fixture to take place since the suspension of the season due to the coronavirus outbreak back in March. How have the past few months been for Fulham?

Very, very strange - as they have been for everyone. Fulham had hit a bit of form when football suddenly came to a halt. Without knowing when they'd be back in action, the players had to maintain a fitness programme, but I'm told they've returned to training in good shape and are raring to go for the remaining nine games.

With just nine games of the season remaining, Fulham sit third and look to be in a great position for an immediate return to the Premier League. How would you summarise this season to date?

Inconsistent. There have been some excellent performances and results but, just when you expect Fulham to kick on, they've suffered a setback. That said, aside from a shock 3-0 home defeat to struggling Barnsley in January, Fulham's form since the turn of the year has been much improved. If they can hold their nerve between now and July, we could be in for a very interesting end to the season.

When Scott Parker took over last year, top-flight relegation was almost a certainty, but one would imagine it's been a lot more enjoyable this time around. What have you made of his first full season in management?

It's been a work-in-progress. When he took over from Claudio Ranieri on a caretaker basis, morale was low and a return to the Championship was looking more than likely. Once appointed permanently in the summer, he needed to change the mindset of a squad that were used to losing games into one with a winning mentality. At the same time, he was keen to implement his own style of play; building from the back and wearing teams down with a possession-based game. It's not a million miles away from the philosophy Slavisa Jokanovic employed at Fulham, a man Parker both played and coached under. There have been a few teething problems, particularly with defensive mistakes, but they've mixed it up a bit as the season has progressed, sometimes going a bit longer to try and get in behind teams that camp men behind the ball.

Ahead of today's west London derby clash, his side are six points off second-placed West Brom. Do you think automatic promotion is still within reach?

Definitely. As the cliché goes, anyone can beat anyone in this league and there are likely to be plenty more twists and turns before the season is out. It's going to be a weird scenario playing in empty stadiums but if Fulham can hit the ground running, they'll have a very good chance of closing in on the top two.

As has been the case for the past couple of seasons, Aleksandar Mitrovic has been Fulham's talisman, with 23 goals so far this term. That said, do you think there's an over-reliance on the 25-year-old?

Possibly. But when a player's that good, you're going to look to him to be your focal point. He just brings so much to the team and he's a menace for opposition defenders. He's strong, he holds the ball up to bring others into play and clearly knows where the goal is. The Fulham fans adore him. He is the main man but, that said, Fulham still did well when he was injured earlier in the season. Players like Bobby Decordova-Reid, Ivan Cavaleiro and Aboubakar Kamara are more than capable of finding the net if Mitrovic is having an off-day.

Mitrovic aside, which player should Brentford fans be keeping an eye out for at Craven Cottage?

Tom Cairney was hitting his stride at just the right time prior to lockdown. He got his eighth goal of the season with the equaliser at Bristol City and Parker was full of praise for his captain afterwards. I've been really impressed by Michael Hector, too. He signed from Chelsea after the summer transfer window closed so couldn't play until January but showed no signs of rustiness. He's a class act - composed, vocal, tough in the tackle and has a good range of passing. He's known as 'Virgil Van Mike' by the Fulham faithful and it's no coincidence that his introduction has seen the Whites keep several clean sheets. Behind him, Marek Rodak has shone in goal. He's still only 23 but has saved Fulham on a number of occasions this term.

How are Fulham likely to set up?

Parker tends to favour a 4-3-3 formation, with Mitrovic flanked by two from Decordova-Reid, Cavaleiro, Anthony Knockaert or Kamara. Decordova-Reid can also operate in a deeper role so could feature in the middle of the park. The full-backs are given licence to get forward and join the attack, and Joe Bryan's return from a hamstring injury is a major plus. In fact, several players - including Harrison Reed and ex-Brentford man Alfie Mawson - who would have been absent for the original game are now fit and available.

What's your score prediction for the game?

It's a really tough one to call in what will be a very peculiar environment. It might have the feel of a pre-season friendly initially as the players get back up to speed. With the goal threat of both teams I can't see it being a 0-0 draw. I really like the look of Ollie Watkins when I've seen him play and Said Benrahma's pace could also cause problems. That said, I'm going to go for a 2-1 win for Fulham.

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2020/june/fulham-hotp/

WhiteJC

Liverpool: Fans speculate over outstanding money still owed for Harvey Elliott transfer

Fulham are expecting a further £10m from Liverpool following the transfer of Harvey Elliott.

The two clubs are set to hold a tribunal in order to establish compensation for the deal and the Cottagers are holding out for a healthy sum of money from the Premier League leaders (via Daily Mail).

Elliott signed for the Reds last summer and has already made his senior debut with the Merseyside outfit. This season, the teenager has tallied four goals and nine assists across all competitions and has featured for Liverpool's first team seven times (via Transfermarkt).

Elliott made history during his Premier League debut, marking himself as the youngest-ever player to feature in the top flight at 16 years, five months and 22 days (via LFChistory).

The news, relayed via @AnfieldEdition, has attracted a lot of speculation from Reds fans. After the club failed to sign transfer target Timo Werner, many are worried about Liverpool's finances. One supporter has even tweeted that they think the Reds will be "bankrupt after this".

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/liverpool-fc-transfer-rumours/liverpool-fans-react-harvey-elliott-transfer-compensation-fulham/

WhiteJC

Not Today Or Any Day

The EFL and its Clubs will stand together in solidarity against racial discrimination through a powerful online video campaign to say we don't and will not accept prejudice, not today or any day.

Players from EFL Clubs returning to play this week will take part in the videos that will be issued across multiple platforms, to demand more from each other; more inclusion, respect and equality and offer support to our colleagues, friends and members of the wider community who continue to be subjected to unacceptable forms of discrimination.

In addition to the video campaign, the League will support players who wish to 'take a knee' before or during matches in support of the Black Lives Matter message.

With over 15 million followers across social channels of Clubs and players involved, EFL football provides an important platform to reach fans and the general public and drive positive change through the game and our wider communities.

The EFL believes this time it must be different for all of us, we all want change and we all need to play our part and supporters are encouraged to stand with EFL players to unite and celebrate our diversity and share the videos across their own channels to take action and speak out.

The EFL has a zero-tolerance approach to discrimination and prejudiced behaviour in all forms and stands alongside players, Clubs, the Premier League, the FA, PFA, LMA, PGMOL and all those who oppose discrimination.

We are committed to promoting diversity and providing equal opportunities for all and work will continue to develop processes and procedures to address these issues.

EFL Chairman, Rick Parry, said: "There is no place for racism in society and the EFL is committed to working collaboratively to eradicate prejudiced behaviour at all levels.

"The EFL has a zero-tolerance approach to discrimination but we need to do more to drive change by learning from past mistakes and lead from the front in speaking out against racism and discrimination of any kind.

"Football has the power to unite, and we must come together to challenge discrimination and celebrate diversity in order to improve and change attitudes throughout the game."

The content will be released prior to games kicking-off.

In addition to this activity taking place, the EFL will also say thank you to NHS key workers at fixtures across this weekend.

Players will wear shirts featuring an 'NHS Rainbow – Thank You' emblem and a period of applause will take place prior to all matches from 18-21 June 2020, as Clubs and players collectively display their gratitude for those working on the frontline.

Clubs will also show their continued support through their own media channels and through various in-stadia displays during the selected fixtures.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/june/18/not-today-or-any-day

WhiteJC

2019-20 Championship – Fulham vs Brentford Preview & Prediction

THE FACTS

When does Fulham vs Brentford kick off? Saturday 20th June, 2020 – 12:30 (UK)

Where is Fulham vs Brentford being played? Craven Cottage

Where can I get tickets for Fulham vs Brentford? Ticket information can be found on each club's official website

What TV channel is Fulham vs Brentford on in the UK? Sky Sports have the rights to Championship matches in the UK, so it is worth checking their schedule

Where can I stream Fulham vs Brenford in the UK? If televised, subscribers can stream the match live on Sky Go

THE TEAM NEWS

FULHAM

Fulham sit third in the SkyBet Championship table, six points away from second placed West Brom going into the resumption of fixtures.
    They were unbeaten in their last four Championship matches before the season was suspended, including winning their last two games at Craven Cottage.
    Manager Scott Parker has not revealed any injury worries ahead of the match, with the break allowing him to recoup many of his injuried players.

BRENTFORD

Brentford are rooted in the SkyBet Championship playoffs in fourth place, just four points behind Fulham.
    They picked up a 2-3 win over Arsenal in a behind closed doors friendly at the Emirates Stadium leading up to this fixture.
    Midfielder Sergi Canos is a doubt for this match, as he looks to make his comeback from a serious injury, however Pontus Jansson should be fit to play.

THE PREDICTION

The SkyBet Championship season returns to action with a London derby as third takes on fourth at Craven Cottage. Realistically, Fulham look like the only side who can stop the two automatic promotion places from going to Leeds and West Brom. They cannot afford to slip up in their first fixture back, but with home advantage and all their players seemingly back available, the Whites should pick up a narrow win over their local rivals.

https://www.thestatszone.com/football/english-championship/2019-20-championship-fulham-vs-brentford-preview-prediction-998526

WhiteJC

Parker confirms Fulham's on-loan players will stay on

On-loan trio Anthony Knockaert, Harry Arter and Harrison Reed will stay for the rest of the season and help Fulham's fight for promotion.

The Whites have also agreed short-term extensions for all but one of their out-of-contract players, manager Scott Parker has confirmed, in a boost ahead their first game back – against local promotion rivals Brentford.

Parker said: "It's very important to have kept hold of the loan players.

"They're not an issue and will all stay here for the remaining part of the season.

"Regarding the players out of contract, there has only been an issue with one young player, who we have not come to a conclusion with. Everyone else is here for the remaining nine games and it's all hands to the pump.

"Contracts-wise it's pleasing to know we are in a situation we can use everyone.

"It's nine games in 30-odd days and we are going to need the depth of the squad to get through this run."

Parker's side were top of the form table before the coronavirus lockdown, with the Bees second, as both clubs chased Leeds and West Brom in the automatic promotion places.

But Parker has warned that the situation has changed and believes a huge test of his squad's mentality lies ahead.

"The message has changed. It has to change because of the situation and the conditions we are now in," he said.

"I think it is vitally important (to know) there are a tonnes of excuses at the moment, for the players and everyone in general.

"I often talk about mentality amongst the squad. If there was ever a challenge to test the mentality it's going to be right now. I want us to embrace that challenge in front of us.

"Now there are a lot of challenges that are not so much football-related; more psychological, and putting yourself in a place to motivate yourself, and understand your goal at the end of the road.

"That's been the message from me to the whole team. We are going to push and push, hit them full on, and if we do that I firmly believe at the end of this we could come out in a very good place."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/parker-confirms-fulhams-on-loan-players-will-stay-on

WhiteJC

Championship returns: Who will hold their nerve at both ends of table?

The league often dubbed "the most exciting in the world" returns on Saturday when the Championship comes out of its three-month hiatus.

Leeds United and West Bromwich Albion resume in pole position to secure automatic promotion to the Premier League, but in the division where "anybody can beat anybody on their day" is a heavily used cliche, do not rule out a surprise name either breaking into the play-off positions or being sucked into the relegation zone.

With more than 100 matches still to be played in just over a month, it all gets back under way with 11 fixtures on Saturday, including big games at both ends of the table.

Will Leeds and Bielsa get the last laugh?
Arguably, nobody else would have been looking forward to returning to action more than Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa.

"I've got this vision of Bielsa being a bit like a detective in one of those old television shows," Championship video blogger Benjamin Bloom told BBC Sport.

"He's living in a dimly-lit, hum drum apartment with a wall plastered with lots of pictures and documents all joined together with long bits of string and arrows showing all the possible links and (Fulham striker) Aleksandar Mitrovic's face circled in the corner of the wall."

The Argentine is certainly hoping to make amends for falling at the play-off semi-final stage last season and guide Leeds back to the Premier League for the first time in 16 years.

Before the season was suspended, his side went on a run of five successive wins to return to the top and with nine games to play, they have a seven-point cushion over third-placed Fulham.

There could, however, still be obstacles in the way of them winning promotion. They start with a visit to Cardiff on Sunday, before a home game against the aforementioned Fulham, with trips to play-off chasing Blackburn and old enemies Derby as well as home games against all of the current bottom three in Luton, Barnsley and Charlton.

Bielsa, himself, knows nothing can be taken for granted.

"It's been an incredible effort so far from the players, but the football we're going to play now will not be the same as the football we played before," the 64-year-old said.

"It's going to be important for the way these matches will be played, that we analyse all our performances closely."

The former Argentina and Chile coach is well-known for his meticulous attention to detail on the analysis front - even during a hectic regular season.

But the behind-closed-doors factor may be one element all of Bielsa's hours of analysis will not be able to prepare for despite his confidence in his players.

"It's going to be tough for their mental preparation to shift," he said. "Presence of supporters is important for football in general.

"Every team and everyone in the Championship will have to adapt to it."

A new start for those fighting the drop?
While it looks like a two-horse race for automatic promotion, the picture is less clear towards the bottom.

Middlesbrough picked up a huge victory at fellow strugglers Charlton before the suspension of the season to move above the Addicks and two points clear of the drop zone. But Boro manager Jonathan Woodgate knows his side will have to start afresh in more ways than one.

"It's a nine-game season now and you have to get as many wins on the board as quickly as possible," he told BBC Radio Tees.

"The players will have to find the mental strength from somewhere to get themselves through these games in a short period of time without fans in the stadium."

Despite being seven points adrift of safety with nine games to play, Barnsley manager Gerhard Struber believes his squad are full of energy and focus.

"We've waited so long to get going and right now we've got that chance to go out there and put in some good performances," the Austrian told BBC Radio Sheffield.

"I think we're ready to play with good intensity and this is going to be key to get the right results."

The Tykes will certainly need wins on the board quickly, starting at QPR on Saturday. They will hope to still be in the survival fight when they face fellow strugglers Luton and Wigan in July.

While Struber sounds buoyant, Hull City manager Grant McCann might be forgiven for feeling a bit of trepidation.

On Saturday they face Charlton, who are just a place and two points below them.

The Tigers, horribly out of form before the season was halted, were hit with a blow as four first-team players failed to agree contract extensions beyond the end of June, but McCann is maintaining focus on the players who will be available.

"It's been nice to have a fully fit and available squad out on the training pitch," he said. "It gives me some tough decisions to make selection-wise.

"It's irrelevant what happened before the break. It's been longer than a usual pre-season and we're going to approach these games as best we can and see if we can get the positive results.

"We're under no illusions there will be injuries with so many games in a short period. But we have to be mindful the players recover well and we get them right for games."

Which jokers might sneak into the play-off pack?
The Championship always throws up an intriguing race to get into the play-off places.

It could be a similar story this time, with just three points separating six teams between sixth and 11th.

"I think you look at the managers and their tactical approaches when it comes to a cup tie like the play-offs," Bloom said.

"I quite fancy Nottingham Forest under Sabri Lamouchi. I think he'll organise his team well.

"But over the course of a tie, you'd back Fulham to be able to keep the ball while you'd also fancy Brentford to be able to score at least two or three goals over two legs.

"Preston (currently in sixth) would be the worry for me with no fans at games.

"They've got a smaller budget and squad and they would want to have a home leg at a packed Deepdale first up, where you can make it uncomfortable for the visitors and maybe roar your team into making a fast start and taking an early lead.

"I think we might see that sixth place change hands quite a few times. Millwall, Bristol City and maybe Blackburn could capitalise on that."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53100810

WhiteJC

Matchday Preview

Fulham v Brentford - Craven Cottage - Saturday 20th June 2020 - 12.30pm

The opposition

Brentford are making their final season at Griffin Park a memorable one, and look nailed on for a Play-Off place with nine matches to go. They had, though, endured a blip in form prior to lockdown as they went on a five game winless run, but they got out of that funk in style in their most recent match, dispatching Sheffield Wednesday 5-0. The Bees have not been shy in documenting their friendly matches in the build-up to the restart, beating Arsenal 3-2 before losing by two-goal margins to Watford and Luton Town.
Fulham team news

The Whites have been boosted by the presence of several familiar faces back in training in recent weeks, with Alfie Mawson, Maxime Le Marchand, Joe Bryan and Josh Onomah all spotted at Motspur Park.
Brentford team news

During lockdown it would seem that Brentford have managed to get their entire playing staff back into contention, with head coach Thomas Frank declaring that he now has "a fully fit squad." Pontus Jansson and Mathias Jensen were major concerns going into the originally scheduled game at Craven Cottage, but the duo have come through recent friendly matches unscathed. Sergi Canos was a long-term absentee, but the Bees have been boosted by his return to training last week.

Live coverage

Season Ticket Holders who selected the live stream option will be able to watch the match on FFCtv. All other FFCtv subscribers will have access to live commentary from Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid. The game will also be shown live on Sky Sports.
New rule

Fans are reminded that teams can name nine substitutes, and use five during the game.
Period of applause

Players and staff will take part in a period of applause prior to kick-off, to show appreciation for the job done by the NHS and key workers during lockdown.
Dafabet match odds

Fulham: 7/4

Draw: 12/5

Brentford: 8/5

He said

"Our aim is to get promoted. We are in a good position in the league. We don't take anything for granted but we trust ourselves and believe in ourselves." – Brentford head coach Thomas Frank
Pre-lockdown form

Fulham: LDWWD
Brentford: DDLDW

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/june/19/matchday-preview

WhiteJC

it's back The Championship is back: Six matches we can't wait for as Leeds and West Brom lead promotion race and Charlton among clubs battling for survival

The Championship season finally restarts on Saturday – and there is so much left to play for.

After 16 years outside the Premier League, Leeds United are in pole position to seal promotion back to the top-flight.

With nine games left to play, the Whites are a point clear of West Brom at the top and seven points ahead of third-placed Fulham.

Marcelo Bielsa's leaders resume their campaign on Sunday at midday, away to Cardiff City – with live commentary of that clash on talkSPORT 2.

As well as the fight for automatic promotion, there is set to be a huge battle to reach the play-offs too with just eight points separating sixth and 14th.

Meanwhile, at the bottom, Charlton and Middlesbrough are among the clubs bidding to avoid relegation to League One.

We can't wait for the Championship to return and here talkSPORT.com has picked out six matches in the coming weeks you definitely shouldn't be missing...

Fulham vs Brentford – June 20 – 12:30pm (LIVE ON TALKSPORT 2)

Where better to start than the very first match of the league's restart? But that's not the only reason you should catch it.

While not the most intense London derby, it's given added bite by the fact both sides are in the play-off positions and battling for promotion.

The Cottagers are third and have a chance of sneaking into the automatic promotion spots, although they will need to hit the ground running to close the gap on Leeds and West Brom.

Meanwhile, Brentford are four points behind Scott Parker's side in fourth, but the margins to stay in the play-offs are so slim that any loss could be costly.

Hull City vs Charlton – June 20 – 3pm

It's not all about who is vying for a place in the Premier League and the opening weekend of the restart will see a mouth-watering bottom-of-the-table clash at the KCOM Stadium.

Hull are one place above the relegation zone in 21st but are only two points ahead of their first opponents, Charlton, who sit 22nd.

Of course, both sides will still have eight more matches to fight for their status in the division after they face each other but expect them go at it hammer and tongs from the off.

Brentford vs West Brom – June 26 – 7:45pm (LIVE ON TALKSPORT 2)

Right now, ten points separates both sides but this Friday night clash could have huge significance regarding automatic promotion spots.

If Brentford can get a result at Fulham and beat West Brom at Griffin Park then that throws the race for second and maybe first place wide open.

However, if Albion can do what's expected and get past Midlands rivals Birmingham in their first match and get a good result at Brentford then that will give them a cushion over the Bees and Fulham.

Brentford and West Brom are also the joint-top scorers in the division with 64 goals each this term so this has all the makings to be a classic.

Leeds vs Fulham – June 27 – 3pm (LIVE ON TALKSPORT)

The next day, Championship leaders Leeds entertain third-placed Fulham and it could be hugely significant for similar reasons.

Bielsa's men will be mindful of Fulham, who claimed a 2-1 win over them at Craven Cottage back in December.

Leeds won their last five before the stoppage but having failed to seal promotion last season when they really ought to have done, the nervousness among the home faithful will only help the spectacle even more.

Nottingham Forest vs Bristol City – July 1 – 7:45pm

These two clubs are also in with a real shot of winning promotion to the Premier League.

Forest sit fifth and are only behind Brentford on goal difference, while Lee Johnson's side are just a point outside the play-offs.

Both teams were in pretty bad form before the season stopped, Sabri Lamouchi's men only winning one out of their last six league matches, while City had not won any of their last five.

The break is a fresh start for them both, which could work in their favour.

Charlton vs Millwall – July 3 – 8pm

The Addicks have lurched from one disaster to another off the pitch this season. The problems upstairs still remain even after Roland Duchatelet sold the club so bad results on the pitch have been inevitable.

But there's nothing like a local derby to forget about all the nonsense at the club as they welcome London rivals Millwall in a Friday night showdown at The Valley.

As mentioned, Charlton are fighting relegation but can also kill two birds with one stone as a good result would harm the Lions' chances of getting into the play-offs.

Gary Rowett's side are two points off the top six and will view the Charlton clash as a must-win if they have any desire to be in with a shout of promotion.

https://talksport.com/football/efl/714918/six-championship-clashes-cant-wait-for-leeds-fulham/