more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tony Khan interview...

Started by General, June 19, 2020, 03:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/june/19/tony-khan-speaks-to-ffctv

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he seems slightly dettached in his approach to the club and generally comes across unfiltered professionally, lacking structure.. all seems very passive, secondary and rambling... its a shame... club really deserves someone who gives more focus to the club. kinda seems like he's missing the point.

talks about

- Bringing Javi back..? I assume a coach who coached under
and more... slightly meh by his general demeanour.

70sPimlico

I disagree. The guy cares a lot about Fulham.

Getting Javier Pereira was a huge move and Javi is focused on player recruitment amongst other things.

I like him

Southcoastffc

Quote from: General on June 19, 2020, 03:44:08 PM
https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/june/19/tony-khan-speaks-to-ffctv

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he seems slightly dettached in his approach to the club and generally comes across unfiltered professionally, lacking structure.. all seems very passive, secondary and rambling... its a shame... club really deserves someone who gives more focus to the club. kinda seems like he's missing the point.

talks about

- Bringing Javi back..? I assume a coach who coached under
and more... slightly meh by his general demeanour.
I think you're being a bit harsh.  He does seem to carry in his head a huge amount of pretty detailed information about Fulham.  If he were that detached, to use your word, would he really do that?   And Javi is indeed Javier Pereira, who assisted Slav.  See https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/january/29/Pereira-Joins
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

FulhamStu

He was big enough to be very self critical about his additions for the Premier League and said he had learned the lessons and was very grateful to still be in the job.  He has masses of enthusiasm and seems to be close to the other members of staff and players.  Most importantly he is extremely well supported by his Dads money and recruited well last time out.  He has bought in a proper football man, who knows Fulham and has him very much prompting the football recruitment decisions which is yet another step in the right direction.  The interview seemed very unscripted and off the cuff and I like that.

In Tony Khan we could do a hell of a lot worse and for most of our history our ownership and executive management have been truly appalling, with Tony so committed to Fulham and with Shahid continuing to invest multi millions we are very lucky indeed.

RaySmith

Quote from: FulhamStu on June 19, 2020, 05:00:03 PM
He was big enough to be very self critical about his additions for the Premier League and said he had learned the lessons and was very grateful to still be in the job.  He has masses of enthusiasm and seems to be close to the other members of staff and players.  Most importantly he is extremely well supported by his Dads money and recruited well last time out.  He has bought in a proper football man, who knows Fulham and has him very much prompting the football recruitment decisions which is yet mother step in the right direction.  The interview seemed very unscripted and off the cuff and I like that.

In Tony Khan we could do a hell of a lot worse and for most of our history our ownership and executive management have been truly appalling, with Tony so committed to Fulham and with Shahid continuing to invest multi millions we are very lucky indeed.

0001.jpeg

FPT

I'm not a big Tony guy but I do think his passion is visible, I just don't think he has a great 'football brain' despite being clearly quite intelligent.

I admire his ability to stick his hand up on mistakes in this recent interview and I think he nearly all-but admitted that Javier Pereira is going to be vital in adding input on how to best work the Fulham way of playing, what type of players fit where and how it can be better. Javi joined right at the end of January so we won't notice anything different in the transfer market until the summer but I recall he'll also have a part to play in instilling the philosophy throughout the club from the kids up.

Tony never really says what his footballing ideas are. There's many variations of a 433 and there's many variations of possession football (I'd say Scott's is quite different to Slav's stylistically).

My prime gripe at the moment is, how many football clubs have their Director of Football work part time? It really is a 24/7, 365 type job and there's no way he can offer that to Fulham what with his roles with the Jaguars and All Elite Wrestling. Maybe that's where Pereira shines in, a similar mould to the old school 'manager' that leaves the training to his backroom staff whilst he works on man management and the transfers.

@jolslover

He was big enough to be very self critical about his additions for the Premier League and said he had learned the lessons and was very grateful to still be in the job.  He has masses of enthusiasm and seems to be close to the other members of staff and players.  Most importantly he is extremely well supported by his Dads money and recruited well last time out.  He has bought in a proper football man, who knows Fulham and has him very much prompting the football recruitment decisions which is yet another step in the right direction.  The interview seemed very unscripted and off the cuff and I like that.

Agree
STH H3

ALG01

his passion is there for all to see and admirable.

his knolwedge of football is questinable and his analysis of the squad, its quality, and our recent form troubling.
When he talked about the squad  when we went up and what happened it is like he doesn't realise he should have been sacked. but the truth is he remains totally inexperienced, part time, and this is a hobby, the prem is full of profesional sharks. if we go up.... if remains in charge of transfers we will sink again.

even this season we didn't start with a decent, fit center half we were relying on mawson, who lasted longer than i exected but was nowhere near good enough (due to injury) if our ambition was top two.

i wish I had the money of the khan's and was in charge, we would be top 6 in the prem because i would get proper profesionals to run the place.

I agree, his passion is amazing, he is truley one of us so to speak but if he wants what is best he would step aside.

FulhamStu

Quote from: ALG01 on June 19, 2020, 11:33:34 PM

his knolwedge of football is questinable and his analysis of the squad, its quality, and our recent form troubling.
When he talked about the squad  when we went up and what happened it is like he doesn't realise he should have been sacked. but the truth is he remains totally inexperienced, part time, and this is a hobby, the prem is full of profesional sharks. if we go up.... if remains in charge of transfers we will sink again.

even this season we didn't start with a decent, fit center half we were relying on mawson, who lasted longer than i exected but was nowhere near good enough (due to injury) if our ambition was top two.

i wish I had the money of the khan's and was in charge, we would be top 6 in the prem because i would get proper profesionals to run the place.

I agree, his passion is amazing, he is truley one of us so to speak but if he wants what is best he would step aside.

You see, I think in some ways he has stepped aside with the Javi appointment.   

ALG01

Quote from: FulhamStu on June 20, 2020, 08:08:01 AM

maybe, we will have to see what happens when the close season actually occurs.

just as an aside, why do the americans not embrace the language of football. TK and the rest of america calls the squad a rosta, the close season, the off season etc. it's our gam in our country, they shouldn't they use our venacular. Ifthey watch english football they should know the language properly. offence rather than attack drives me crazy.

when we speak of the third rate sports we use their terms.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: ALG01 on June 20, 2020, 09:51:28 AM

just as an aside, why do the americans not embrace the language of football. TK and the rest of america calls the squad a rosta, the close season, the off season etc. it's our gam in our country, they shouldn't they use our venacular. Ifthey watch english football they should know the language properly. offence rather than attack drives me crazy.

I agree ALGOI which signifies how little they actually know or want to learn about English football.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jims Dentist

I posted around Oct/Nov that I thought TK had or might take a step back of sideways.
This was based on the potential better quality summer signings and him having to spread his duties between  us The Jags and the new Alite wrestling  venture (which FPT as always astutely mentions above).
Pereira coming in as his so called number 2 seems to suggest this.

The Rational Fan

Now TK has stepped back a little, it will be interesting to see if the investment into the team continues, or will the investment be more careful.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 23, 2020, 01:52:04 AM

Now TK has stepped back a little, it will be interesting to see if the investment into the team continues, or will the investment be more careful.

If that were to be the case, I would imagine fans will turn on Shahid instead...

And although I've been complimentary to both Tony and Shahid for a while now, I could totally understand and support the backlash. Supporting your son with funds with near unlimited funds for some suspect buys over the years (this year excluded) but then stopping that when a professional is in his place is not only crazy, it would prove all the nepotism allegations and not go down well...

We don't want another Blackburn Venkys type situation on our hands and I'm sure they don't either...

70sPimlico

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 20, 2020, 10:16:14 AM

I agree ALGOI which signifies how little they actually know or want to learn about English football.

You're complaining about our owners because they don't talk like you do?

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 23, 2020, 01:52:04 AM

I'd hesitate to infer from Pereira's appointment that TK has stepped back.

Firstly, because when we appointed Perreria I got the impression his role concerned tactics, coaching etc rather than recruitment (the announcement said "his primary focus will be on embedding the Club's playing philosophy through all Fulham's teams") and TK was never involved in that side of things anyway. It may just reflect the fact that Parker and Wells are a smaller, more junior coaching team than we've had had previously.

Secondly, as for the recruitment process, as far as I can tell there are actually less people around TK now than ever. When TK replaced Rigg as DoF, my understanding is that he was supported by K on the data side (who by all accounts was a dominant force in the process) and Talbot on the scouting side. K left and apparently they replaced him by promoting Lovell, but his title on LinkedIn is now "First Team Performance Analyst" which suggests he's gone back to his old role. So if anything, there seems to be a bit of a vacuum there to me.   

@jolslover

Quote from: 70sPimlico on June 23, 2020, 09:55:37 AM

+1
STH H3

AnOldBrownie

:plus one:

And here we go talking about the owners not speaking the language of football correctly.

You seriously want to have a tiff about the owner's language?    At least he's not being phoney when he speaks.  I have way more problem with his free use of the word "uhm" all of the time.

ALG01

You obviously are struggling with what I said. I suggested it was a pity that americans do not use the same venacular as us with regard to our game. There is no need fot them to try and re-invent the language of football. If they had been really interested and watched British football for years they would be familiar with and use our terminology as a maytter of course, and respect us enough to stick with it. If I watched US sports I was use their language.... it was a an observation that has been on my mind for ages and if you care to intentioanlly misinterpret that is not my problem.

70sPimlico

Quote from: ALG01 on June 23, 2020, 10:18:10 PM

You obviously are struggling with what I said. I suggested it was a pity that americans do not use the same venacular as us with regard to our game. There is no need fot them to try and re-invent the language of football. If they had been really interested and watched British football for years they would be familiar with and use our terminology as a maytter of course, and respect us enough to stick with it. If I watched US sports I was use their language.... it was a an observation that has been on my mind for ages and if you care to intentioanlly misinterpret that is not my problem.