watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Defence is still the problem

Started by FulhamStu, June 28, 2020, 02:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamStu

Hector coming into the team did make a big impact and has given us something we can build from.
Rodak has also improved the defence but we need a lot more that that if we are to be successful.
Odoi is a fine backup and will a job when called on.  The big problem for me is that Ream seems to have gone further backwards, yes he brings the ball out of defence well but his basic defending is way below what is required.  He is slow and easily beaten.  Bryan is suffering partly because his positional play is highly suspect but also because Ream inside of him can't cover.   Losing Kongolo now looks like a massive blow because with him as left centre half would I think make a massive difference.  All 3 goals yesterday came down our left, this happens so often but does not appear to be getting addressed by Parker. Taking of Bryan yesterday was significant however I think Ream is a major problem.   If we are to continue with these players and frankly we currently have little choice, I would go 3 at the back with Christie amd Bryan as attacking fullbacks, play 5-3-2 and stop conceding breakaway goals. 

Whatever division we are in next season, improving the defence has to be priority

Slaphead in Qatar

Reams been a loyal  servant but not up to standard now. Same as Odoi.

Bryan good going forward but not at all good at defending.

Rodak and Hector are very good but neither has been good in the last 2 games.

So yes defence is still a problem - has been since hangalaand and Hughes moved on.

JimmyConway

Full backs at Fulham are all decent going forward with Bryan the best of all of them.
When it comes to actual defending all are very average. Why have these players not improved defensively since their time with the club?
Ream had his day in the sun when we won playoffs. Has always had a few deficiencies and Leeds showed yesterday that he can be a nervous wreck when under pressure.
Hector will add the strength but not totally comfortable as ball playing centre back.
Rodak should improve further but I would like to see a good experienced number two battle it out with him for competition.
Mawson? Needs to toughen up not sure if he'll ever be the answer?
Le Marchand will not strengthen defence
Sessegnon not sure he'll reach brothers heights might need very good coaching to step up.
Bettenelli move on won't push Rodak hard enough for No 1.
Kongolo who knows?

bill taylors apprentice

Any defence would have problems if the midfield and full backs don't support each other when we are defending.
We rarely look a unit that knows what its doing when pressured.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on June 28, 2020, 05:59:05 PM
Any defence would have problems if the midfield and full backs don't support each other when we are defending.
We rarely look a unit that knows what its doing when pressured.
+1

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

Whitestone

Since the turn of the year we've played 15 games in which we've only scored 14 goals and conceded 18 goals. That conversion rate is simply not good enough for a team with any ambition. When you consider that Man City scored 4 against us that means on average we've conceded just a single goal per game this calendar year in league matches. Not too shabby IMO.  Goals win matches. That's our biggest problem currently.

Motspur Park

We are too susceptible to the quick counter attack. Leeds' second, a good chance for them in the 1st half and the Brentford goal are all proof of this but as others have said, Odoi, Bryan and Ream have all been poor. The first and most important role of a defender is to defend and if they can't do that then they should have no place in the team. All good full backs are adept at both defending and going on marauding runs forward.

colinwhite

Agree with most of that Stu. Our left side is being targeted and Bryan ,for me is contributing too little and Ream suspect when the game is long and the play stretched.

H4usuallysitting

McDonald in front of the current back four is the key

Brawn

Defence has been the problem for about 5 or 6 years. I really struggle with "this team should be cakewalking it" when none of the defence are Premier League quality, with the possible exception of Hector. We've still got a defence that, mostly, has been at the club for 3-4 years and it has constantly been found wanting. Even in the second half of the 2017-18 season, the amount of defensive errors was appalling and we were often bailed out by an in-form Bettinelli or poor finishing (I still remember Clayton Donaldson missing a 1-on-1). Compounding this is the fact we made the stupid decision to let go of Dan Burn (who's now tearing up the Premier League for Brighton), we opted not to shell out for Gary Cahill in Jan 2019 (but had no problem shelling out for goalkeepers and midfielders that we didn't need the previous summer). We have STILL not found a replacement for Ryan Fredericks. And no one would have Bryan instead of Targett. So there are huge problems there which are the fault of the "recruitment team" rather than Parker.