watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Team vs QPR

Started by Asotosyios, June 29, 2020, 08:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ByTheRiver

It's time to bite the bullet and address the glaring issues that have been obvious (so obvious that even an unqualified halfwit such as I have been banging on about them on here for months) all season.

Joe Bryan is quite simply not a LB. He tries, he has pace, is our best crosser and has the most assists, play him at LW (or not at all).

Tim Ream is not a Championship level defender any more. He has lost another half yard of pace and on the turn, which he didn't have to lose in the first place. He cannot be a starting CB for a team hoping for promotion. Replace him. Ideally with Odoi, but given the need to cover LB and push Bryan forward, maybe MLM.

I know Ream still has fans and defenders on here and I get pulled up every time, but come on, surely now? Since the restart, we have conceeded 5 goals in two games. ALL OF THEM have come in that space we have been conceeding all season - left side and the space between the above two. I;d love to see season long stats, I would guess 70% of our goals conceeded have come from there.

So, for me, a back four with no Ream or Bryan. With Bobby D-Reid starting in the CF role (this could be a blessing in disguise potentially). The rest pretty much picks itself. 

Mince n Tatties

Rodak

Christie
Hector
Ream
Le Marchand

Cairney
Reed
Bryan

Cava
Stansfield
Knock

JoelH5

My worry is; Knockaert can't shoot and Cav doesn't seem to be having many good games. They are both "luxury" wingers. Exciting to watch but not consistent. Reid is much the same but a bit better in shooting imo but still only (iirc) scored more than 10 goals in a season once. It doesn't scream goals for the next 3 games. Hopefully the new system without Mitro works and I'm surprised.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Matt10

Quote from: ByTheRiver on June 30, 2020, 09:57:54 AM
It's time to bite the bullet and address the glaring issues that have been obvious (so obvious that even an unqualified halfwit such as I have been banging on about them on here for months) all season.

Joe Bryan is quite simply not a LB. He tries, he has pace, is our best crosser and has the most assists, play him at LW (or not at all).

Tim Ream is not a Championship level defender any more. He has lost another half yard of pace and on the turn, which he didn't have to lose in the first place. He cannot be a starting CB for a team hoping for promotion. Replace him. Ideally with Odoi, but given the need to cover LB and push Bryan forward, maybe MLM.

I know Ream still has fans and defenders on here and I get pulled up every time, but come on, surely now? Since the restart, we have conceeded 5 goals in two games. ALL OF THEM have come in that space we have been conceeding all season - left side and the space between the above two. I;d love to see season long stats, I would guess 70% of our goals conceeded have come from there.

So, for me, a back four with no Ream or Bryan. With Bobby D-Reid starting in the CF role (this could be a blessing in disguise potentially). The rest pretty much picks itself.

The problem is the entire season wasn't the last 2 games. As dissapointing as the results vs Leeds and Brentford were, we still played previous matches in March - and Ream played more than well in them with Hector.  As much as he's part of the defence, he's just as important in attack. His ability to pass forward accurately and calmness in possession is what's required for the system.

We're doing this thing again...that thing where we start judging our players based on two matches and building the narrative that it's been this way the whole time.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Matt10 on June 30, 2020, 10:27:06 AM

The problem is the entire season wasn't the last 2 games. As dissapointing as the results vs Leeds and Brentford were, we still played previous matches in March - and Ream played more than well in them with Hector.  As much as he's part of the defence, he's just as important in attack. His ability to pass forward accurately and calmness in possession is what's required for the system.

We're doing this thing again...that thing where we start judging our players based on two matches and building the narrative that it's been this way the whole time.

Wow. Ignorance really is bliss. Nothing to do with the last two games, Ream has been absolutely dreadful for 18 months to two years. Numerous games this season he's cost us, Stoke away, Charlton, Man City cup game, there's loads more to that I can't remember off the top of my head but if you want to click on my posts, it was back in Nov/Dec of last year. A quite good and thorough thread where each mistake and/or game he cost us was listed (by various posters) not just me.

I find it incredibly disrespectful to dismiss my viewpoint like that, assume its based on reactionary impulse, especially when I've beat that drum all season (and last!) but not nearly as incredibly shocking as if you genuinely believe that he's been fine. Ream hasn't even been as bad as he can be in the last two games to be honest, he is just not anywhere close to be good enough. If peopel still believe he is and defend him then we probably deserve to be failing out of the playoff places so that its a glass of water in the face to wake people up...

Whitestone

The left side of defence seems to be our Achilles heel. I understand the calls to replace Ream and Bryan. Currently there is no one suitable to replace Ream who is in any case instrumental in our build up play. Those calling for Le Marchand have got short memories. He's definitely not a starter. Until or if Mawson becomes available for selection I'd go for a back four of Christie, Hector, Ream and Odoi. I like the idea of Joe Bryan on the wing but not sure I'd start him there unless Cav is struggling with his fitness which it certainly looks like based on the last two cameo appearances. This isn't the time of the season to start experimenting with a 17 year old as a starter but surely Stansfield will make the bench with Mitro out. I would disappointed to see Arter as a starter. Nepotism is definitely at play with his repeated selection because I haven't seen any evidence to support his continued selection over Johansen, McDonald or Onamah.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Whitestone on June 30, 2020, 10:46:14 AM
The left side of defence seems to be our Achilles heel. I understand the calls to replace Ream and Bryan. Currently there is no one suitable to replace Ream who is in any case instrumental in our build up play. Those calling for Le Marchand have got short memories. He's definitely not a starter. Until or if Mawson becomes available for selection I'd go for a back four of Christie, Hector, Ream and Odoi. I like the idea of Joe Bryan on the wing but not sure I'd start him there unless Cav is struggling with his fitness which it certainly looks like based on the last two cameo appearances. This isn't the time of the season to start experimenting with a 17 year old as a starter but surely Stansfield will make the bench with Mitro out. I would disappointed to see Arter as a starter. Nepotism is definitely at play with his repeated selection because I haven't seen any evidence to support his continued selection over Johansen, McDonald or Onamah.

This I do agree with mostly. There isn't ideal cover for Ream - absolutely gutting what happened with Kongolo as I feel that may have been a big help if he'd have had time to bed in. Mawson's injury troubles too. However, whilst I am far from MLM's biggest fan (he has had his fair share of horror shows!), I'd give him one last try at CB next to Hector. He has a bit more pace than Ream to cover that gap between LCB and LB. It may not work, but it doesn't work with Ream (5 goals in two games all from that side is evidence enough). So why not? At least we will know for certain whether to dispose of him at the end of the season (MLM that is, I'm quite sure Ream will go).

Matt10

Quote from: ByTheRiver on June 30, 2020, 10:41:04 AM
Quote from: Matt10 on June 30, 2020, 10:27:06 AM

Wow. Ignorance really is bliss. Nothing to do with the last two games, Ream has been absolutely dreadful for 18 months to two years. Numerous games this season he's cost us, Stoke away, Charlton, Man City cup game, there's loads more to that I can't remember off the top of my head but if you want to click on my posts, it was back in Nov/Dec of last year. A quite good and thorough thread where each mistake and/or game he cost us was listed (by various posters) not just me.

I find it incredibly disrespectful to dismiss my viewpoint like that, assume its based on reactionary impulse, especially when I've beat that drum all season (and last!) but not nearly as incredibly shocking as if you genuinely believe that he's been fine. Ream hasn't even been as bad as he can be in the last two games to be honest, he is just not anywhere close to be good enough. If peopel still believe he is and defend him then we probably deserve to be failing out of the playoff places so that its a glass of water in the face to wake people up...

Sorry, I don't follow all your posts and keep track of each poster's opinion piece. There's no need to feel disrespected as it really doesn't come down to that. You have your opinion, and I have mine. I'm basing mine off of what I've seen, what the stats show and the full 90 minutes I just watched of our last two pre-covid break matches and most recent post-break. Did Ream play terrible in either of them? No. Did he play terrible against Brentford? No. We actually conceded the first goal via Brentford, in the 88th minute, when Bryan and Ream switched spots against the run of play and it was Knockaert who let the ball be slipped behind them which set up the pass to the goal. Against Leeds he had a chance to intercept the pass, but missed, as did our two other players in Bryan, Cairney and Reed. Terrible by association that match, with really the exception of Harrison Reed.

Statistically, Ream has the most minutes, and has a high rating inside top 11 (10th). I'm not saying he's exceptional, and I'm not saying he's rekindled that fire of our promo season. However, he has created a good understanding with Hector, Bryan and our midfielders. As I said, he connects our midfield like a DM would, and that's what we need for this sytem to work. If you rewatch any of our matches, that is one of the main themes present in the attack. From a functional point of view, at this present time, I don't know who could fill his role that has been proven at the LCB spot. Odoi hasn't played there, Mawson hasn't either, unfortunately Kongolo (who I really wanted us to sign perm) is out.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Whitestone on June 30, 2020, 10:46:14 AM

Disagree with the Arter bit. Before the break he was very good and instrumental in some good results. Against Leeds he was also very good until everything went pear shaped after their second goal. Arter is a bit too irresponsible defensively for my taste, but he has mostly a positive impact on our game. Johansen has mainly failed to influence matters this year, although might be down to him getting so inconsistent playing time. Whether him (Jjohansen) or Kmac should play instead of Arter is of course subjective but it is very harsh to suggest that it is about nepotism. Onomah on the other hand is the last one I would put on, since even when he has looked fairly good individually, the midfield has looked bad basically every time he has started. He doesn't seem to play in tandem with any other players on the team. All in my opinion of course.

Brawn

The team I would start today retains Scotty's 4-1-4-1 formation.

GK 12 M Rodak

RB 22 C Christie
RCB 4 D Odoi
LCB 3 M Hector
LB 20 M Le Marchand

DM 21 H Reed

RM 24 A Knockaert
RCM 10 T Cairney
LCM 8 S Johansen
LM 19 I Cavaleiro

ST 61 J Stansfield

OUT: T Ream, J Bryan, H Arter, B Decordova-Reid, A Mitrovic
IN: C Christie, M Le Marchand, S Johansen, I Cavaleiro, J Stansfield

The thing is that when we were without Mitrovic it was not so much Mitrovic himself that we lacked but rather a focal target man. When Stansfield came on against Aston Villa we looked much better for it as a result. Against Charlton this is something Decordova-Reid couldn't do as he was too busy looking for space rather than playing as a number 9. Stansfield is better in that sense, for me.

My subs for tonight would be:
1 M Bettinelli
6 K McDonald
13 T Ream
14 B Decordova-Reid
18 H Arter
23 J Bryan
25 J Onomah
43 S Sessegnon
58 S Jasper

Ronnief

Quote from: JoelH5 on June 30, 2020, 10:01:14 AM
My worry is; Knockaert can't shoot and Cav doesn't seem to be having many good games. They are both "luxury" wingers. Exciting to watch but not consistent. Reid is much the same but a bit better in shooting imo but still only (iirc) scored more than 10 goals in a season once. It doesn't scream goals for the next 3 games. Hopefully the new system without Mitro works and I'm surprised.

Knockaert can shoot and frequently does but his recent technique has been found wanting.  Prior to lock down I have closely watched the practice shooting in the pre match warm ups, the only player who regularly gets his shots on target is Mitro.  Stansfield is also the only other player I have seen who has the technique to regular get his shot on target.  Its too late to improve technique on our current players so Stansfield for me is the players to use.  However I suspect if Knockaert plays tonight he'll probably get a hattrick.(wishful thinking) 092.gif 092.gif

Statto

Quote from: clarkey on June 30, 2020, 08:21:10 AM
I find it amazing that people choose Cav

He was awful as a sub and has done zero to suggest he will score or create chances.

... except score and create chances

clarkey

To answer those who say Cav scores and creates chances....when ? We have not scored since March. He was terrible last two appearances. Not bad, terrible.He will not be good tonight if he is on the pitch.I would love to think he would be but sadly he is a dud.

His attitude is poor too. Body language everything. Whereas at least AK puts in some serious effort.

I like the thinking of putting Bryan up top as out and out attacker but seriously he too often just looks out of his depth.We need a goalscorer like Ivor or Andy Johnson out there tonight. Trouble is this side is a lot weaker than the one with Matt Targett, Fredericks and Sess at his best.Our full backs were assets and now they are liabilities (well Bryan is)

Good luck boys we will supporting you whatever the team. But Parker's time is up soon. Look at Brentford's manager he ran rings round him.

Statto

Quote from: clarkey on June 30, 2020, 01:15:51 PM
To answer those who say Cav scores and creates chances....when ? We have not scored since March.

Had to stop reading here.
We've played two games since then and he didn't start either of them.
Some people
1500.gif :doh:

Moltobueno

Rodak

Christie     Hector        Ream       Odoi

Cairney         Reed       Johansen

Knockaert          Reid               Bryan

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Moltobueno on June 30, 2020, 01:40:39 PM
                           Rodak

Christie     Hector        Ream       Odoi

Cairney         Reed       Johansen

Knockaert          Reid               Bryan

With the possible exception of Timothy, that is probably the team I would play too.

grandad

I think Parker will make the minimum of changes. He will play BDR as front man & play the in-efective inverted wingers of Cav & Knockers. Bet he doesn´t change defence or MF. If he does as I think he will we lose.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Brawn

Quote from: grandad on June 30, 2020, 03:16:32 PM
I think Parker will make the minimum of changes. He will play BDR as front man & play the in-efective inverted wingers of Cav & Knockers. Bet he doesn´t change defence or MF. If he does as I think he will we lose.

Can't see him keeping Arter after Saturday. He may stick with the defence but there's grounds for changing all of them sans Hector.

bobby01

Would not surprise me to see Onomah playing cf.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: bobby01 on June 30, 2020, 03:43:07 PM
Would not surprise me to see Onomah playing cf.

Imagine if he did and Josh bagged a hat trick. All Fulham message boards and Twitter would combust. He gets more grief than Parker.

For what its worth and think he is decent and will likely become a good player. I wouldn't play him as a lone striker though.