watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Scoring goals and defending

Started by FulhamStu, June 27, 2020, 05:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamStu

Only one player can score goals,(Mitro) and we have real problems at the back.
Ream was walking in treacle today, he is finished as a defender I am afraid.  Hector was not at his best but without him it would be a disaster.  There is something wrong with Bryan, I understand he has some issues and maybe that is the problem, puts himself under too much pressure maybe.
Midfield was good in the first half, Having said that, Arter is too slow, Cairney was better in front of Arter and Reid behind him and Reid was again our best player.
Said it last week but Kebano is nowhere near good enough, Knockaert wasteful and Cav lazy.
D-Reed is so frustrating as he puts in a lot of effort but he lacks quality.

Parker. Is what he is, a novice manager learning his trade, should never be our man in charge.

Statto

Bill2

Quote from: FulhamStu on June 27, 2020, 05:12:31 PM
Ream was walking in treacle today, he is finished as a defender I am afraid.  Hector was not at his best but without him it would be a disaster.  There is something wrong with Bryan, I understand he has some issues and maybe that is the problem, puts himself under too much pressure maybe.
Midfield was good in the first half, Having said that, Arter is too slow, Cairney was better in front of Arter and Reid behind him and Reid was again our best player.
Said it last week but Kebano is nowhere near good enough, Knockaert wasteful and Cav lazy.

Parker. Is what he is, a novice manager learning his trade, should never be our man in charge.
Quite a fair summary.

filham

No real positives today other than at half time I thought we were doing alright.
Parker now has problems both in defence and attack.
Today our left flank was badly exposed for all three goals and Odoi may have to be switched to left back to solve that problem with Christie coming in at right back.
No goals in the last two games and again we were seen to have no real bite in our attack, can't really see how this is going to be overcome, it would be nice to have Kamara available but as he was not even on the bench today it seems unlikely he will be fit by Tuesday.

Arthur

Quote from: filham on June 27, 2020, 05:42:18 PM
Parker now has problems both in defence and attack.

Much more so with the attack than the defence, I'd say. The last goal in each game has primarily come about because of the scoreline at the time. We rely too heavily on scoring first to win a match. And for a team that relies so heavily on one player for its goals, I often think that Mitrovic is too ready to stop trying his hardest when we're behind. It's a tough criticism to make with certainty because it becomes more difficult for the whole team when we're losing, this I recognise. But it is a strong suspicion of mine.

bill taylors apprentice

Basic football stuff.
Don't let in to many silly goals and score a few yourself.
We can't do either and there's no sign of it changing any time soon!

alfulham

Having listened to all the comments on this forum and watching the last two defeats it appears to me that our players are not fit. The Leeds and Brentford players had pace when they attacked or when they defended. We seemed to lose the ball too often. What we had in Slav's team was not much quality but we had fitness and that produced positive attacking football. SP needs to get the players firstly fit and then look at himself over the tactics.

Sgt Fulham

Parker can go learn his trade at Aldershot, not Fulham.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

What exactly has Parker "learned?"

Sadly Fulham are not the exception

All teams have experienced 3 months lay off, a lack of match fitness & regular individual & team training, coaching, tactics etc

Some teams have managed to hit the ground running, quicker, with more desire, better attitude, whatever

We clearly rely on one forward for regular goals who other teams know how to wind up. Mitro has little or no direct support, others unable to score sufficiently to take the pressure off him
Midfield & defence also suffering.
We are tumbling down the table @ the very time we need to challenge those 2 above us
Even if we manage to stay in the top 6 & make the play offs what realistic hope is there for promotion & even if we did manage it how can we hope to survive

The building blocks aren't in place to move up. We do not want another repeat of last time

I'd take a gamble, offer Howe the Bournemouth manager a package he can't refuse & give him the funds he needs to build a team fit & able to do more than survive in the Premiership.
A new stand, increased support & build sensibly

I personally like Parker but don't think he is the man to take us forward

It's just my view...

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Bill2 on June 27, 2020, 05:21:35 PM

Quite a fair summary.

Indeed with regard to the summary and without wishing to start hostilities some of the player assessments quoted have been repeated on here several times over the last two games but drops in performance had been noted in a few players before lockdown. Added today is TC having another sulk on, Hector having his own personal mare and Mitro throwing his toys out early. That's basically a very poor team then? The bench is not that strong with Mawson and AK out so depleting the depth and strength of the squad, (Leeds and Brentford could bring on playmakers), and I suspect, like Parker, some of us daydream about what a fit Mawson, Hector and Kongolo could have achieved from Christmas. That best squad statement hangs over us like a deadweight and I sometimes wonder if Parker feels it to. It seems to be accepted that tactically we started better than we did against Brentford so perhaps Parker is not such a plank and maybe it's the tools he has to work with that are at fault? Even fewer 'top squad' members available for Tuesday now so it will be interesting to see how the team selection thread matches up with what Parker puts out. BDR and Stansfield in a 4.4.2?
It seems an age ago now but we were talking on how the club hires and fires. At the time Ranieri was sacked what 'acceptable', employable, no baggage big name was available for an immediate start?

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: AnotherVicHalomLoveChild on June 27, 2020, 10:09:54 PM

What exactly has Parker "learned?"

Sadly Fulham are not the exception

All teams have experienced 3 months lay off, a lack of match fitness & regular individual & team training, coaching, tactics etc

Some teams have managed to hit the ground running, quicker, with more desire, better attitude, whatever

We clearly rely on one forward for regular goals who other teams know how to wind up. Mitro has little or no direct support, others unable to score sufficiently to take the pressure off him
Midfield & defence also suffering.
We are tumbling down the table @ the very time we need to challenge those 2 above us
Even if we manage to stay in the top 6 & make the play offs what realistic hope is there for promotion & even if we did manage it how can we hope to survive

The building blocks aren't in place to move up. We do not want another repeat of last time

I'd take a gamble, offer Howe the Bournemouth manager a package he can't refuse & give him the funds he needs to build a team fit & able to do more than survive in the Premiership.
A new stand, increased support & build sensibly

I personally like Parker but don't think he is the man to take us forward

It's just my view...

Unfortunately this is where I'm at.   

Fortunately Fulham has owners that care about sports, and have money in things other than their English football club.   Time to finish out the year the best we can and hope for improvement next year.   

It's not like Leeds has some great offensive scheme.  They just knew what our weaknesses were (FB playing too high...open space behind them) and attacked them.   

We don't even consistently have a back line

Odoi            Hector      Ream     Bryan

Because our FBs are trying to help with our offense by playing a lot like this...

Hector
                                                   Ream

Odoi                                                               Bryan

...thinking that holding possession will allow our FBs to get back (or our CBs if they bomb forward).

It can sometimes work...against teams with poor defenses.   

Matt10

Players are not pulling their weight. We have wingers who aren't scoring goals. BDr has 5 in something 2000 minutes; Cav has 6 in 2700mins, Knockaert only has 3 in 2300 mins, while AK47 has 4 in under 1000 minutes. If this was a sales team, they'd be fired while AK47 and Cav (6 goals, 7 assists) would be there with Mitro. Knock is a passion merchant try hard, while BDR needs a higher ratio to hit the back of the net - something we simply can't produce or afford.

People love to hate on Cairney, but he's our second in goal scoring with 8, along with 3 assists. The match vs Leeds was comprised of both BDR and Knockaert not able to score goals, despite the clear chances they had. I say drop them, bring in LeMarchand for Bryan and push him up to LW to send in crosses - while Cav occupies the right hand side because he's proven he can score with both feet.

grandad

Our left sided defence is dreadful. Bryan is woeful as a LB. Good going forward as a wing back. Ream is so slow in covering for Bryan. Parker has to sort this issue now. Either play Odoi or Sess as a defensive LB & play Christie as RB. There really are not any other options. I don´t think MLM is good or quick enough as a LB.
Mitro is constantly left isolated up front & it is no wonder he looks depressed. What is the point of lumping balls up to him to lay off or hold the ball up when no one is within 20 yards of him. He gets no service from the wings nor through the middle. We played a 4-2-3-1 formation yesterday which worked ok in the 1st half but did not work in the 2nd. I would like to see a 4-1- 3-2 with non inverted wingers & Cairney right behind the front 2. It may be too late to make drastic changes as it has taken the squad nearly a whole season to get the 4-3-3 to work which has failed. How we are in the top 6 is a wonder.
Changes must be made now just to secure a play off position.
Where there's a will there's a wife

F(f)CUK

Most goals are scored on the break or from set pieces. We are not good at either.

Bill2

Quote from: Matt10 on June 28, 2020, 06:45:29 AM
Players are not pulling their weight. We have wingers who aren't scoring goals. BDr has 5 in something 2000 minutes; Cav has 6 in 2700mins, Knockaert only has 3 in 2300 mins, while AK47 has 4 in under 1000 minutes. If this was a sales team, they'd be fired while AK47 and Cav (6 goals, 7 assists) would be there with Mitro. Knock is a passion merchant try hard, while BDR needs a higher ratio to hit the back of the net - something we simply can't produce or afford.

People love to hate on Cairney, but he's our second in goal scoring with 8, along with 3 assists. The match vs Leeds was comprised of both BDR and Knockaert not able to score goals, despite the clear chances they had. I say drop them, bring in LeMarchand for Bryan and push him up to LW to send in crosses - while Cav occupies the right hand side because he's proven he can score with both feet.
This is definitely the problem, look at Brentford goals from all over the place. Mitro has done magnificently but no one is chipping in with goals to help. From memory the back four have not scored all season. You need to have a threat from all over the park we only have Mitro although AK offers something and thought he had improved considerably this season.
While Cav and Knockeart have scored some great goals fro 30 yards why haven't they got any two yard tap ins. BDR doesn't seem to have a goal in him and as for Josh Onomah apart from the one against Leeds not even close. We need someone who will get 10+ goals to take some of the burden off Mitro and will also mean that the opposition will have to watch more than the one player.   

WindyCity

Scoring goals has been a problem all season long.  The problem/reason is that the FFC attack is a one-trick-pony.  Let one player (Mitro) score all the goals.  That's not gonna work over the course of a full season and a tight race to qualify for playoffs and possible promotion.  FFC has good players, such as Reid, Knock, Cav and others, they are good, can get themselves into scoring positions, but, sadly, can't finish. 

The defense was weak at the beginning of the season, but with the introduction of Hector, it did tighten up very well indeed and was playing at a high level prior to the Covid shutdown.  Since returning from the layoff, the defense has not shown up.

FFC still has a very good team, maybe not as good as some in this forum think, but pretty good nonetheless.  A team that can be in the promotion conversation.  The problem is that this is a good time and chance to gain promotion with this squad, but it must be done this year!  If not, top players will be lost and a sort of rebuilding will need to take place, including new players and possibly a new coach.  I can see FFC stuck in the Champ for the next several years if they don't go up this year.  The time is NOW!  Get RIGHT NOW!!!

FulhamStu

We may have a good squad, we may have good attacking players, most of who, are not great in front of goal, however our defence is just not good enough.  Leeds, WBA, Brentford and as I just watch Nottingham Forest, all have far better defences than us.  They defend properly, they don't get caught out position wise and only Rodak and Hector would have a chance to get into any of these teams.

WindyCity

Quote from: FulhamStu on June 28, 2020, 04:16:59 PM
We may have a good squad, we may have good attacking players, most of who, are not great in front of goal, however our defence is just not good enough.  Leeds, WBA, Brentford and as I just watch Nottingham Forest, all have far better defences than us.  They defend properly, they don't get caught out position wise and only Rodak and Hector would have a chance to get into any of these teams.

Some might argue your comments.  The last seven games before the Covid stoppage, save one game v Barnsley, FFC defense had shown up for work and performed quite well.  And that defense had FFC back up in the promotion conversation in spite of an offense that was struggling to score goals.  Ancient history now, I guess.  Don't know why things have started so poorly since the restart.