watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tim Ream

Started by ByTheRiver, June 30, 2020, 06:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaySmith

We shouldn't single out players for  individual mistakes that lea to goals.
Goals conceded are  rarely the fault of one person, but the defenders and keeper are obviously  the most vulnerable to criticism, since  the  mistakes they make can lead directly to conceding a goal, andl are visible to  everyone.

If no player  ever made a mistake, then no goals would be ever conceded ever, but , of course, in a fast moving elite level match , with a lot of pressure, even the  best players make mistakes.
The top players are those who make the least mistakes.

But as pointed out, the defenders involved in the disastrous early goal conceded went on to play very well, and  be instrumental in the team pulling the game back, and going on to win.

Yes, we  came back from being down, again,  which could have really caused heads to drop, to win this tough local derby.
Yet, all we seem to mostly get on here, is saying how rubbish we were, and how useless and decrepit some our players  are, and should be replaced, along with the clueless manager.
Another manager would inspire those players left, to storm the league, with a record number of goals.

Yes, you could say we were lucky to win because the  opposition keeper was at fault to some extent for our  goals, but you could turn that round and say that QPR, or any team we  recently played, were lucky to win , because they only scored  because of our defensive mistakes.

Surely, we all know that luck, or the rub of the  green or whatever you call it, and human error play a big part in all results.
It's all if's and but's, but that's life, and football, and you can't replay the past.

rebel

Quote from: Twig on July 01, 2020, 09:37:26 PM
Quote from: rebel on July 01, 2020, 10:53:11 AM
That's what a 'managers, manager' does, stick by players even though their present form is well below par. Ream's confidence seems low. He's having to think about what to do. This is similar to before he became a 'hero'.

Lol, don't miss an opportunity to have a dig at Parker will you.

I don't know what you mean!! Addressing tactics isn't his thing, he's like the 'speaking clock', very repetitive in everything, even when everyone can see it's wrong.

Sting of the North

Quote from: rebel on July 02, 2020, 08:07:52 AM
That's what a 'managers, manager' does, stick by players even though their present form is well below par. Ream's confidence seems low. He's having to think about what to do. This is similar to before he became a 'hero'.

I don't know what you mean!! Addressing tactics isn't his thing, he's like the 'speaking clock', very repetitive in everything, even when everyone can see it's wrong.

Maybe you don't know what everyone thinks?

Woolly Mammoth

I dread to think what the tone and atmosphere and dissecting of every moment of the match and player and manager would have on here if we had lost on Tuesday. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

rebel

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 02, 2020, 08:09:46 AM

Example, if he plays Rodek upfront, everyone can see that isn't going to work, everyone can see that is wrong, there are examples of him playing players out of position, not utilizing players in their best positions and much, much more. You'll probably still miss it, might have to draw a picture or two.   

rebel

Quote from: RaySmith on July 02, 2020, 08:07:36 AM
Goals conceded are  rarely the fault of one person, but the defenders and keeper are obviously  the most vulnerable to criticism, since  the  mistakes they make can lead directly to conceding a goal, andl are visible to  everyone.

If no player  ever made a mistake, then no goals would be ever conceded ever, but , of course, in a fast moving elite level match , with a lot of pressure, even the  best players make mistakes.

But as pointed out, the defenders involved in the disastrous early goal conceded went on to play very well, and  be instrumental in the team pulling the game back, and going on to win.

Yes, we  came back from being down, again,  which could have really caused heads to drop, to win this tough local derby.
Yet, all we seem to mostly get on here, is saying how rubbish we were, and how useless and decrepit some our players  are, and should be replaced, along with the clueless manager.
Another manager would inspire those players left, to storm the league, with a record number of goals.

Yes, you could say we were lucky to win because the  opposition keeper was at fault to some extent for our  goals, but you could turn that round and say that QPR, or any team we  recently played, were lucky to win , because they only scored  because of our defensive mistakes.

Surely, we all know that luck, or the rub of the  green or whatever you call it, and human error play a big part in all results.
It's all if's and but's, but that's life, and football, and you can't replay the past.

Well, the first person to criticize his own performance would be Ream himself. Their are very few people who don't criticize themselves (like Trump for example). Self criticism leads to improvement, others criticizing constructively leads to self improvement i.e. 'maybe be if you try doing that' etc. When we were in the Prem last season, Ream spoke up, criticizing his teammates that lead to improvements.   

Sting of the North

Quote from: rebel on July 02, 2020, 08:59:47 AM

Example, if he plays Rodek upfront, everyone can see that isn't going to work, everyone can see that is wrong, there are examples of him playing players out of position, not utilizing players in their best positions and much, much more. You'll probably still miss it, might have to draw a picture or two.

Sorry, but your example of playing Rodak up front is just such an exaggaration that it doesn't support the point that you are trying to make. Such a thing is not close to being representative of anything Parker has done, but of course even you know this. And you don't have to draw me pictures thanks, because that still wouldn't change the subjectivity of the matter (meaning not everyone thinks the same), which was my point that went right over your head obviously. Why can't you just present your own opinion as being just your own, without trying to imply that it is supported by everyone else? Do you really need that validation to support your own subjective opinion?

If you would like to draw pictures about what you believe is wrong as a way of explaining, then please feel free to do so because that might actually invite actual discussions. If you are just looking for companions to regurgitate the same opinions then pictures are probably not needed however.

TonyM

Quote from: Fulham33 on June 30, 2020, 09:35:00 PM
I am not defending Ream as I think he was at least 33% responsible for the goal.

But would any one else like a goalkeeper to come out to the edge of the 6 yard box and claim a looping cross?
(also 33% to blame in my book)

I used to play in goal to a reasonable standard (county league) and I would have been hammered by me defence if i hadn't come to claim that cross. Even if he doesn't catch it he had plenty of time to get a decent punch on it. I think that is why Ream was angry and waving his arms about. I think he was expecting Rodak to claim the cross, and by the time he realised that wasn't happening it was too late and Hugill had the jump on him.

I am a great fan of Rodak, but for me the responsibility for the goal is 75% keeper 25% defender

WokingFFC

Quote from: TonyM on July 02, 2020, 09:36:26 AM
Quote from: Fulham33 on June 30, 2020, 09:35:00 PM
I am not defending Ream as I think he was at least 33% responsible for the goal.

But would any one else like a goalkeeper to come out to the edge of the 6 yard box and claim a looping cross?
(also 33% to blame in my book)

I used to play in goal to a reasonable standard (county league) and I would have been hammered by me defence if i hadn't come to claim that cross. Even if he doesn't catch it he had plenty of time to get a decent punch on it. I think that is why Ream was angry and waving his arms about. I think he was expecting Rodak to claim the cross, and by the time he realised that wasn't happening it was too late and Hugill had the jump on him.

I am a great fan of Rodak, but for me the responsibility for the goal is 75% keeper 25% defender

Could not agree more. Rodak should dominate that apart of the pitch but he rarely does and this is an area he needs to improve and train on. There were others who made mistakes before the ball crossed the line, the poor pass, us not blocking the cross etc. It is a team game and all are accountable, so I will not single out a player, I will support them to get better.

RaySmith

Quote from: rebel on July 02, 2020, 09:08:27 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on July 02, 2020, 08:07:36 AM

Well, the first person to criticize his own performance would be Ream himself. Their are very few people who don't criticize themselves (like Trump for example). Self criticism leads to improvement, others criticizing constructively leads to self improvement i.e. 'maybe be if you try doing that' etc. When we were in the Prem last season, Ream spoke up, criticizing his teammates that lead to improvements.   

None was saying he wasn't at fault - however much Rodak should share the blame, only that after that he played really well in our fightback and ultimate victory, yet people can only slag him off for the goal and say he's past it.

rebel

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 02, 2020, 09:29:07 AM
Quote from: rebel on July 02, 2020, 08:59:47 AM

Sorry, but your example of playing Rodak up front is just such an exaggaration that it doesn't support the point that you are trying to make. Such a thing is not close to being representative of anything Parker has done, but of course even you know this. And you don't have to draw me pictures thanks, because that still wouldn't change the subjectivity of the matter (meaning not everyone thinks the same), which was my point that went right over your head obviously. Why can't you just present your own opinion as being just your own, without trying to imply that it is supported by everyone else? Do you really need that validation to support your own subjective opinion?

If you would like to draw pictures about what you believe is wrong as a way of explaining, then please feel free to do so because that might actually invite actual discussions. If you are just looking for companions to regurgitate the same opinions then pictures are probably not needed however.

It's an extreme example, but you clearly understood it. I don't need to be backed up by others nor do I think everyone thinks alike, that's just ridiculous. But there are quite a few whose thoughts are similar on Ream. I see your tinkering with 'semantics' (the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning), nice.   

Sting of the North

Quote from: rebel on July 02, 2020, 12:34:35 PM

It's an extreme example, but you clearly understood it. I don't need to be backed up by others nor do I think everyone thinks alike, that's just ridiculous. But there are quite a few whose thoughts are similar on Ream. I see your tinkering with 'semantics' (the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning), nice.

I think everyone could understand the example. The problem is that the example was completely pointless in the context of the discussion. I agree that it is ridiculous to believe that everyone thinks the same, which is the reason that I believe that some more respect could be shown towards those that disagree. My comments had nothing to do with semantics (I didn't believe you meant that literally everyone thought the same), but with the way of arguing like there was a huge consensus that Parker (you mention Ream, but our discussion was not about him even though the same applies) is doing a lot of stuff wrong. Maybe there is, but you cannot possibly know that. So you portraying Parker as someone that is widely acknowledged to have no clue what he's doing and keep repeating mistakes is arrogant at best. In my opinion.

ByTheRiver

Can believe we are now digging out one of the best young keepers in the country and one of the few players to come out of this season with any pride, to carry on finding ways to defend Ream.

The fan club continues then... On to this Saturday when, no doubt, we'll have another display from him, and see if the penny drops then for those few left in is corner.

rebel

Maybe the timing of the incident confused both Rodek and Ream, each thinking the other would deal with it, but neither did. If it had been the 20th minute, maybe they would have handled it differently.     

rebel

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 02, 2020, 01:09:48 PM
Quote from: rebel on July 02, 2020, 12:34:35 PM

I think everyone could understand the example. The problem is that the example was completely pointless in the context of the discussion. I agree that it is ridiculous to believe that everyone thinks the same, which is the reason that I believe that some more respect could be shown towards those that disagree. My comments had nothing to do with semantics (I didn't believe you meant that literally everyone thought the same), but with the way of arguing like there was a huge consensus that Parker (you mention Ream, but our discussion was not about him even though the same applies) is doing a lot of stuff wrong. Maybe there is, but you cannot possibly know that. So you portraying Parker as someone that is widely acknowledged to have no clue what he's doing and keep repeating mistakes is arrogant at best. In my opinion.

Cool, happy to be called 'arrogant', adds to my other virtues. Many thanks.

YankeeJim

Its true that few people criticize their own mistakes or  mistaken ideas (Rebel for example) but inserting MLM in place of Ream is certainly a mistake. Ream does seem to be a step slow these days and for that matter, has never been a good man in the air but MLM is not the answer. If you want him to sit then use Odai in his place (where and what is the issue with Mawson?) and either bring Bryan back in or even give Sess another shot. Course you could ask what was Hector doing 25 yards up the pitch while not contesting the cross? Reim was the man in the spotlight but he wasn't the only poor player at that moment.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

alfie

Quote from: YankeeJim on July 02, 2020, 06:58:54 PM
Its true that few people criticize their own mistakes or  mistaken ideas (Rebel for example) but inserting MLM in place of Ream is certainly a mistake. Ream does seem to be a step slow these days and for that matter, has never been a good man in the air but MLM is not the answer. If you want him to sit then use Odai in his place (where and what is the issue with Mawson?) and either bring Bryan back in or even give Sess another shot. Course you could ask what was Hector doing 25 yards up the pitch while not contesting the cross? Reim was the man in the spotlight but he wasn't the only poor player at that moment.
We have not seen MLM for a while, maybe he has improved, you never know.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Twig

I think you mean, when you can see it's wrong.

Don't misunderstand me, there are specific occasions when I am critical of our Manager's decisions. However you have taken it to a level where he is cr4p, can never do anything right, can never even say anything right or remotely interesting.  Frankly I find your constant carping tedious and blinkered.

So now you know what I mean!

Arthur

Quote from: ByTheRiver on July 02, 2020, 02:39:52 PM
Can believe we are now digging out one of the best young keepers in the country and one of the few players to come out of this season with any pride, to carry on finding ways to defend Ream.

Rodak has had a good season. But the two posts that apportion some of the responsibility to him may be correct. I don't think it's enough to imply that it's nothing other than bias in favour of Ream - especially when one of those opinions comes from someone who has kept goal (unless you think he's made that up). And as far as absolving Rodak of any part in our shortcomings for Rangers' goal, I can't imagine your 'how-can-anyone-dare-to-criticise-him?' line of argument convincing anyone.

rebel

Quote from: Twig on July 02, 2020, 07:12:34 PM

I think you mean, when you can see it's wrong.

Don't misunderstand me, there are specific occasions when I am critical of our Manager's decisions. However you have taken it to a level where he is cr4p, can never do anything right, can never even say anything right or remotely interesting.  Frankly I find your constant carping tedious and blinkered.

So now you know what I mean!

No, I mean 'when everyone can see it's wrong'. As for you post, meaningless 'drivel'. If your not happy with my comments don't read them. If you read his post match comments over the last 40 matches, there isn't much substance at all.