https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tim Ream

Started by ByTheRiver, June 30, 2020, 06:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Arthur on July 02, 2020, 08:25:24 PM
Quote from: ByTheRiver on July 02, 2020, 02:39:52 PM
Can believe we are now digging out one of the best young keepers in the country and one of the few players to come out of this season with any pride, to carry on finding ways to defend Ream.

Rodak has had a good season. But the two posts that apportion some of the responsibility to him may be correct. I don't think it's enough to imply that it's nothing other than bias in favour of Ream - especially when one of those opinions comes from someone who has kept goal (unless you think he's made that up). And as far as absolving Rodak of any part in our shortcomings for Rangers' goal, I can't imagine your 'how-can-anyone-dare-to-criticise-him?' line of argument convincing anyone.

I don't really need to convince anyone, Ream does a good enough job of that himself most weeks. Some are just a little slower on the uptake.

Arthur

Quote from: ByTheRiver on July 02, 2020, 08:53:27 PM
Can believe we are now digging out one of the best young keepers in the country and one of the few players to come out of this season with any pride, to carry on finding ways to defend Ream.

Rodak has had a good season. But the two posts that apportion some of the responsibility to him may be correct. I don't think it's enough to imply that it's nothing other than bias in favour of Ream - especially when one of those opinions comes from someone who has kept goal (unless you think he's made that up). And as far as absolving Rodak of any part in our shortcomings for Rangers' goal, I can't imagine your 'how-can-anyone-dare-to-criticise-him?' line of argument convincing anyone.

I don't really need to convince anyone, Ream does a good enough job of that himself most weeks. Some are just a little slower on the uptake.

Firstly, your and my previous posts are discussing whether Rodak shoulders some of the responsibility for Rangers' goal. What Ream does 'most weeks' has absolutely no bearing on this.

And for someone who doesn't need to convince anyone how poor Ream is, you're usually one of the first (if not the first, as you were with this thread) on this forum telling us just that.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Arthur on July 02, 2020, 09:19:49 PM

Firstly, your and my previous posts are discussing whether Rodak shoulders some of the responsibility for Rangers' goal. What Ream does 'most weeks' has absolutely no bearing on this.

And for someone who doesn't need to convince anyone how poor Ream is, you're usually one of the first (if not the first, as you were with this thread) on this forum telling us just that.

Wrong on both counts sadly. Here, I'll help:

Rodak: I put one post expressing surprise that some were willing to throw a great young keeper under the bus in order to defend their crush. A player who has been one of few highlights this season and, in all probability, will end up too good for fulham and move on. So let's enjoy him whilst we can. Just responding to replies to my thread. That's okay, isn't it?

Ream: I simply express frustration at the continued selection of a player who is now harming our team and harming his own legacy within that. Yes, this thread was a rush of blood immediately as the incident occurred but I'm always on edge expecting the next glaring error, lack of strength, pace. I like the guy. He has in the past played wonderfully for us - admittedly when he didn't need to actually defend and could play solely the cultured CB stepping out - but that time has passed. It helps neither the team nor how he will be remembered to keep putting him in the firing line expecting him to perform differently. Sometimes we get away with it, often we don't.

Carborundum

I like centre backs who don't care whether the goalie is coming or not.  The personal battle is with the centre forward and it's not going to be lost without a fight.

Sting of the North

So implying that Rodak could have done better for the goal is throwing him under the bus? Because he is a young good player on the up he is above all criticism? And therefore the only possible reason to do so is to defend Ream? You should probably just consider whether it's possible that there are people that simply don't share your opinion on certain matters, without there having to be any hidden agendas.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 03, 2020, 12:34:33 AM
So implying that Rodak could have done better for the goal is throwing him under the bus? Because he is a young good player on the up he is above all criticism? And therefore the only possible reason to do so is to defend Ream? You should probably just consider whether it's possible that there are people that simply don't share your opinion on certain matters, without there having to be any hidden agendas.

Well said, frankly we should be saying Rodak is not the finished product as he needs to hear it. These days too many young players play a few good games believe the overly positive bullpoo we say about them, then these young players leave for Spurs and spend the next five years as a squad player. If Rodak keeps improving at this rate, he'll be a Big Six 1st choice Goalkeeper, but his mistakes prove he would be wise to spend at least another two seasons at Fulham before making any move.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 03, 2020, 02:16:52 AM
Quote from: Sting of the North on July 03, 2020, 12:34:33 AM

Well said, frankly we should be saying Rodak is not the finished product as he needs to hear it. These days too many young players play a few good games believe the overly positive bullpoo we say about them, then these young players leave for Spurs and spend the next five years as a squad player. If Rodak keeps improving at this rate, he'll be a Big Six 1st choice Goalkeeper, but his mistakes prove he would be wise to spend at least another two seasons at Fulham before making any move.

That's maybe not exactly what I meant. The players don't need to hear any of this from fans. I am sure Rodak is aware that he's not the fininshed product, and I am also sure that his progress is discussed continuously during the season by various people in the team and management. Regardless, most players will go to a bigger club when they get the chance anyway and the only thing we can do about it is to offer a better prospect of playing time (which most often doesn't help anyway when the big clubs come knocking) or improve our own football (like going to the PL, fighting for a place in Europe etc.).

rebel

Quote from: YankeeJim on July 02, 2020, 06:58:54 PM
Its true that few people criticize their own mistakes or  mistaken ideas (Rebel for example) but inserting MLM in place of Ream is certainly a mistake. Ream does seem to be a step slow these days and for that matter, has never been a good man in the air but MLM is not the answer. If you want him to sit then use Odai in his place (where and what is the issue with Mawson?) and either bring Bryan back in or even give Sess another shot. Course you could ask what was Hector doing 25 yards up the pitch while not contesting the cross? Reim was the man in the spotlight but he wasn't the only poor player at that moment.

I haven't mentioned MLM at all. I'm just saying Ream is lacking in some confidence, maybe it goes back to his FA Cup appearance against City when he got sent off. He just looks, lacking in confidence.     

The Rational Fan

If you play MLM against Birmingham and Ream against Forest/Cardiff, then Ream will perform better than if he plays all the games, plus MLM will be sharper if he plays now and is needed in the playoffs.

Twig

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 03, 2020, 08:36:26 AM
If you play MLM against Birmingham and Ream against Forest/Cardiff, then Ream will perform better than if he plays all the games, plus MLM will be sharper if he plays now and is needed in the playoffs.

Can't argue with that logic.

Twig

Quote from: rebel on July 02, 2020, 08:51:06 PM
Quote from: Twig on July 02, 2020, 07:12:34 PM
Quote from: rebel on July 02, 2020, 08:07:52 AM
Quote from: Twig on July 01, 2020, 09:37:26 PM
Quote from: rebel on July 01, 2020, 10:53:11 AM
That's what a 'managers, manager' does, stick by players even though their present form is well below par. Ream's confidence seems low. He's having to think about what to do. This is similar to before he became a 'hero'.

Lol, don't miss an opportunity to have a dig at Parker will you.

I don't know what you mean!! Addressing tactics isn't his thing, he's like the 'speaking clock', very repetitive in everything, even when everyone can see it's wrong.

I think you mean, when you can see it's wrong.

Don't misunderstand me, there are specific occasions when I am critical of our Manager's decisions. However you have taken it to a level where he is cr4p, can never do anything right, can never even say anything right or remotely interesting.  Frankly I find your constant carping tedious and blinkered.

So now you know what I mean!

No, I mean 'when everyone can see it's wrong'. As for you post, meaningless 'drivel'. If your not happy with my comments don't read them. If you read his post match comments over the last 40 matches, there isn't much substance at all.     

Your grammar is appalling, so apologies if I have misunderstood but I assume that by writing; "As for you post, meaningless 'drivel', what you are actually trying to say is that I post meaningless drivel.  So presumably you have been back through all my past posts and feel qualified to make such an assessment?  Otherwise your accusation is just a meaningless insult.  I will assume it is the latter.

As to our Manager's post match interviews; I agree that his delivery style is relatively flat but frankly I don't think that matters.  I would also agree that the content is often quite bland but if you compare it with other managers' interviews he is no worse and no better.  As a community we have already had this debate on other threads and the general conclusion tends to be; "What would you expect?" and "So what".

YankeeJim

Quote from: rebel on July 03, 2020, 07:49:08 AM
Its true that few people criticize their own mistakes or  mistaken ideas (Rebel for example) but inserting MLM in place of Ream is certainly a mistake. Ream does seem to be a step slow these days and for that matter, has never been a good man in the air but MLM is not the answer. If you want him to sit then use Odai in his place (where and what is the issue with Mawson?) and either bring Bryan back in or even give Sess another shot. Course you could ask what was Hector doing 25 yards up the pitch while not contesting the cross? Reim was the man in the spotlight but he wasn't the only poor player at that moment.

I haven't mentioned MLM at all. I'm just saying Ream is lacking in some confidence, maybe it goes back to his FA Cup appearance against City when he got sent off. He just looks, lacking in confidence.   

I would hope you are wrong. If he loses confidence to go with the obvious step he has lost than his career could be in jeopardy. Still, I prefer him to MLM who to me, hasn't shown anything since he has been here.
Ream always has MLS to go to and perhaps it is time.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

rebel

Quote from: Twig on July 03, 2020, 11:43:57 AM
Quote from: rebel on July 02, 2020, 08:51:06 PM
Quote from: Twig on July 02, 2020, 07:12:34 PM
Quote from: rebel on July 02, 2020, 08:07:52 AM
Quote from: Twig on July 01, 2020, 09:37:26 PM
Quote from: rebel on July 01, 2020, 10:53:11 AM
That's what a 'managers, manager' does, stick by players even though their present form is well below par. Ream's confidence seems low. He's having to think about what to do. This is similar to before he became a 'hero'.

Lol, don't miss an opportunity to have a dig at Parker will you.

I don't know what you mean!! Addressing tactics isn't his thing, he's like the 'speaking clock', very repetitive in everything, even when everyone can see it's wrong.

I think you mean, when you can see it's wrong.

Don't misunderstand me, there are specific occasions when I am critical of our Manager's decisions. However you have taken it to a level where he is cr4p, can never do anything right, can never even say anything right or remotely interesting.  Frankly I find your constant carping tedious and blinkered.

So now you know what I mean!

No, I mean 'when everyone can see it's wrong'. As for you post, meaningless 'drivel'. If your not happy with my comments don't read them. If you read his post match comments over the last 40 matches, there isn't much substance at all.     

Your grammar is appalling, so apologies if I have misunderstood but I assume that by writing; "As for you post, meaningless 'drivel', what you are actually trying to say is that I post meaningless drivel.  So presumably you have been back through all my past posts and feel qualified to make such an assessment?  Otherwise your accusation is just a meaningless insult.  I will assume it is the latter.

As to our Manager's post match interviews; I agree that his delivery style is relatively flat but frankly I don't think that matters.  I would also agree that the content is often quite bland but if you compare it with other managers' interviews he is no worse and no better.  As a community we have already had this debate on other threads and the general conclusion tends to be; "What would you expect?" and "So what".

There's nothing wrong with my grammar, it doesn't need correcting by you or anyone else. Instead of addressing the subject matter, you're using 'grammar' as a distraction. Lots of posters do that. Going by that, do I really need to go through your past posts? 'no' I don't. I really can't be bothered to address the rest of your post.   

rebel

Quote from: YankeeJim on July 03, 2020, 06:34:39 PM
Quote from: rebel on July 03, 2020, 07:49:08 AM

I would hope you are wrong. If he loses confidence to go with the obvious step he has lost than his career could be in jeopardy. Still, I prefer him to MLM who to me, hasn't shown anything since he has been here.
Ream always has MLS to go to and perhaps it is time.

Ream will always be a fans favourite, he took lots of flack, overcame that with amazing performances. Voted Player of the Season 2017 -2018.

Arthur

Quote from: ByTheRiver on July 02, 2020, 11:33:05 PM
Wrong on both counts sadly. Here, I'll help:

Rather than trying to discuss Tim Ream further, it is of more help, I think, to look at the cross purposes in our discussion thus far:

Earlier in the thread, I posted that I thought your defence of Rodak was unconvincing.

And as far as absolving Rodak of any part in our shortcomings for Rangers' goal, I can't imagine your 'how-can-anyone-dare-to-criticise-him?' line of argument convincing anyone.

To which you replied:

I don't really need to convince anyone, Ream does a good enough job of that himself most weeks.

Had my remark been: 'You haven't convinced anyone that Ream is a poor defender', your reply would make sense. But I didn't say that. Not at all. Albeit unwittingly, your response has 'jumped tracks', which is why I then posted this:

Quote from: Arthur on July 02, 2020, 09:19:49 PM

Then comes the 'help' that is meant to clarify why I'm wrong:

Rodak: I put one post expressing surprise that some were willing to throw a great young keeper under the bus in order to defend their crush. A player who has been one of few highlights this season and, in all probability, will end up too good for fulham and move on. So let's enjoy him whilst we can. Just responding to replies to my thread. That's okay, isn't it?

This might help others who haven't followed the thread up to now to get up to speed with your views, but it doesn't help to explain why I'm wrong - whether that's wrong about your argument being unconvincing, or wrong about your comment about Ream making no sense in its context.

I could go on but I expect you've read enough already to realise the difficulty we're having in having a coherent debate.

And so on to the next thing:

No one who has argued that Ream was not solely responsible for Rangers' goal is also arguing that Ream has been faultless this season - or is making any similar such outlandish claim. But your rhetoric is keen to portray me, and others, as if we have:

The fan club continues then...

...in order to defend their crush.

Worth noting, however, is this admission of yours:

Ream: ...I'm always on edge expecting the next glaring error...

This seems extreme to me - even of a player who would not be in my preferred line-up. Maybe what there is is not a Ream fan club but an anti-Ream spokesperson, and rather than my having a 'crush' on Ream, it is you who has a fixation.

ByTheRiver

Arthur, you have too much time on your hands. Grab a beer, hug your girlfriend, literally anything else. Honestly. Have a good weekend x

Logicalman

Ream is a good player and has served us well, though I will admit there are a couple of items in the way he plays that, sometimes, fill me with dread.

The basic item,I feel. is that he tends to hold the ball until the opponent is almost upon him prior to laying it off. Now, I am no trainer, coach or anything like that, just an interesting observer, and that kind of play might not have been a problem for a player like Gerard who did the same thing often, but with Tim, he all to often fluffs his lines in that aspect and is either rushed at the end, which leads to a poor pass (direction or speed), or he misjudges the speed of the approaching player and gets mugged, which for a back can have disastrous consequences to it.

As I said, I am not anti-Tim, I like the guy, just his style of play causes me a few heart rhythm issues at times.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Big T

MLM is a liability
Tim Ream should definitely start he's just rusty he's a form player, the better the team plays the better he gets,

Asotosyios

Quote from: Logicalman on July 04, 2020, 01:56:40 AM
Ream is a good player and has served us well, though I will admit there are a couple of items in the way he plays that, sometimes, fill me with dread.

The basic item,I feel. is that he tends to hold the ball until the opponent is almost upon him prior to laying it off. Now, I am no trainer, coach or anything like that, just an interesting observer, and that kind of play might not have been a problem for a player like Gerard who did the same thing often, but with Tim, he all to often fluffs his lines in that aspect and is either rushed at the end, which leads to a poor pass (direction or speed), or he misjudges the speed of the approaching player and gets mugged, which for a back can have disastrous consequences to it.

As I said, I am not anti-Tim, I like the guy, just his style of play causes me a few heart rhythm issues at times.

I get where you are coming from, but I think this has something to do with the way we play.

In our promotion season, McDonald would usually come all the way back to take the first pass from Ream or Odoi. This doesn't happen very often this year and as a result, Ream keeps the ball longer and is often forced to pass under considerably more pressure than he should be.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

alfie

Quote from: Big T on July 04, 2020, 02:02:16 AM
MLM is a liability
Tim Ream should definitely start he's just rusty he's a form player, the better the team plays the better he gets,
As we have not seen MLM for a while, he may not be a liability now.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't