watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wigan Athletic have gone into Administration, because of Covid

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, July 01, 2020, 12:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfie

And they will be deducted 10 points, through no fault of their own.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ALG01

Quote from: alfie on July 01, 2020, 01:05:14 PM

Do you think the authorities would be that crule as to deduct the points under these exceptional circumstances? That is a genuine question because I for one hope they do not as this is not what the rule was designed to mitigate against.

Whitestone

Until this becomes a bit clearer I think it's fair to say that they are the first club to go into administration since the beginning of the Covid crisis. It's a big leap to say it's because of the Covid crisis, although I've no doubt that's had a negative effect on all football clubs at all levels of the pyramid.

The Rock

Of course, we play them the last day of the season at the JJB/DW where they will be in ~ 9th place, needing the 3 points to stay up.

fulhamben

CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

sarnian

Wigan only changed ownership on 29 May so the new owners can't blame Covid.

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

We Are Premier League

their LB is decent/good, not much else of value in the squad

bog

Cannot the relative decision makers on the points deduction allow a little bit of slack given the current goings on?

092.gif

alfie

Quote from: ALG01 on July 01, 2020, 01:07:43 PM
Quote from: alfie on July 01, 2020, 01:05:14 PM

Do you think the authorities would be that crule as to deduct the points under these exceptional circumstances? That is a genuine question because I for o
ne hope they do not as this is not what the rule was designed to mitigate against.
I believe it's already been announced.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Stoneleigh Loyalist

They are the form team of the league with 21 points out of 27 so if they continue a 12 point deduction will make little difference.

bobby01

I have only been there once, to watch a dismal 0-0 draw with us on an afternoon when it was bucketing down. However they opened up a room for us with hot drinks as we had arrived early. Apart from the game they made us very welcome there as I remember.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

cottage expat

N_O_W_S

The report on the BBC says the deduction of 12 points is only applied once the season is completed and if they avoid relegation which makes sense.

I agree though that given the circumstances it does seem pretty harsh. I suppose that maybe it is delayed to see if other teams end up in similar situations before deducting the points.

Jonnoj

This is what happens when you lose a rich benefactor and have to survive without the cheques being paid automatically, see Bolton for a similar story. I know our owners are not perfect but we are lucky to have had two very wealthy benefactors prepared to fund endless losses.

Carborundum

Quote from: mlangstrom on July 01, 2020, 03:44:43 PM
their LB is decent/good, not much else of value in the squad
Thought he was the best player I've seen all season.  Young American lad, Antonee Robinson.  If a rich American owner really felt the need to have a fellow countryman in his team, I'd imagine he might fit the bill.  Would certainly be an upgrade.

sunburywhite

Quote from: cottage expat on July 01, 2020, 05:07:09 PM
Quote from: sunburywhite on July 01, 2020, 04:01:02 PM
Have they still got a road that goes to the pier?

No, I think they closed it in 1984.

Could be worse, I might have been Down and Out in Paris

fulhamben

Quote from: Ols_S on July 01, 2020, 05:16:40 PM
The report on the BBC says the deduction of 12 points is only applied once the season is completed and if they avoid relegation which makes sense.

I agree though that given the circumstances it does seem pretty harsh. I suppose that maybe it is delayed to see if other teams end up in similar situations before deducting the points.
what you havent mentioned, is if they get relegated this season ( which is looking unlikely) then the points would have been deducted next season.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.