more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wigan Athletic have gone into Administration, because of Covid

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, July 01, 2020, 12:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Cravenette

Quote from: bobby01 on July 01, 2020, 03:52:37 PM
I have only been there once, to watch a dismal 0-0 draw with us on an afternoon when it was bucketing down. However they opened up a room for us with hot drinks as we had arrived early. Apart from the game they made us very welcome there as I remember.
Was just going to say me too then saw it was you! I believe I was with you that day Rob 🙂

The Cravenette

Quote from: The Rock on July 01, 2020, 02:03:54 PM
Of course, we play them the last day of the season at the JJB/DW where they will be in ~ 9th place, needing the 3 points to stay up.

Interesting last game if it becomes tight for either teams re relegation/playoffs

Statto

Justice for robbing us of the Div 3 title in 1997 by virtue of the brief goals scored/goal difference rule change

Asotosyios

Quote from: Carborundum on July 01, 2020, 05:55:26 PM
Quote from: mlangstrom on July 01, 2020, 03:44:43 PM
their LB is decent/good, not much else of value in the squad
Thought he was the best player I've seen all season.  Young American lad, Antonee Robinson.  If a rich American owner really felt the need to have a fellow countryman in his team, I'd imagine he might fit the bill.  Would certainly be an upgrade.
I was very impressed by Robinson at the game at Craven Cottage.

He was supposed to go to AC Milan for £10m in January, but there was a problem during his medical if I remember well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

bobby01

Quote from: The Cravenette on July 01, 2020, 06:04:44 PM
I have only been there once, to watch a dismal 0-0 draw with us on an afternoon when it was bucketing down. However they opened up a room for us with hot drinks as we had arrived early. Apart from the game they made us very welcome there as I remember.
Was just going to say me too then saw it was you! I believe I was with you that day Rob 🙂

You were what a miserable day it was, the fella on the coach going on and on about the rugby player he was meeting who never turned up, still makes me smile
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

alfie

Quote from: Statto on July 01, 2020, 06:15:09 PM
Justice for robbing us of the Div 3 title in 1997 by virtue of the brief goals scored/goal difference rule change
But they didn't change the rules
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Twig

As Sarnian says, the current owners took over the club in late May this year so cannot blame Covid. They bought the club from a HK company (a PE company I think). It all looks suspiciously like money laundering or asset stripping to me.

Twig

I wonder what sort of fit and proper test these owners faced who have put the club into administration after less then 2 months!

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: mlangstrom on July 01, 2020, 03:44:43 PM
their LB is decent/good, not much else of value in the squad

Antonee Robinson would be one of the first players I'd try to bring in to our squad.   He's Odoi with more size, more pace and he's under 23 (Dennis being the better leaper).

But I'd want a better manager to continue to develop him.  I don't think Scott's coaching staff are good at developing young talent.   

Do it TK!!!   oh, and he's American.

Penfold

Quote from: alfie on July 01, 2020, 07:42:05 PM
Quote from: Statto on July 01, 2020, 06:15:09 PM
But they didn't change the rules

Indeed. One of the people who encouraged the football league to sort teams equal on points by way of goals scored instead of goal difference was none other than out own chairman, Jimmy Hill!

Bill2

I feel quite sad about this. Always liked Wigan a good club well run by a passionate owner in Dave Whelan. A true footballing gent.

The Cravenette

Quote from: bobby01 on July 01, 2020, 06:57:15 PM
Quote from: The Cravenette on July 01, 2020, 06:04:44 PM

You were what a miserable day it was, the fella on the coach going on and on about the rugby player he was meeting who never turned up, still makes me smile

Ha ha, yes, that was Cliffy Dean!

I seem to remember one dismal away trip where there was a streaker, which was the highlight of the match.  Dunno if that was Wigan?

RaySmith

A lot friendlier there than Bolton,  with its very heavy stewarding - to Fulham fans anyway.

Sad to hear this news.

Riversider

Heartbreaking really that a proud community club like Wigan can go to the wall and at the same time we ready ourselves to spend £10.5 million on Knockaert after already wasting tens of millions on Cav and Bobby Reid, I love football but so much of it is wrong.

bigalffc

As always the big losers are the clubs loyal supporters, great shame.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

domprague

You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: bigalffc on July 02, 2020, 02:51:21 PM

You have to feel sorry for the owners of these clubs too. These owners build 25,000 seater stadiums and 24 months out of the premier league they getting average attendance of 9,000 fans.

If an owner has no TV money, no players to sell, only 9,000 loyal supporters per game, and FFP rules limiting the amount he can invest, then how can he possibly afford championship players.

Bill2

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 03, 2020, 05:27:39 AM
Quote from: bigalffc on July 02, 2020, 02:51:21 PM

You have to feel sorry for the owners of these clubs too. These owners build 25,000 seater stadiums and 24 months out of the premier league they getting average attendance of 9,000 fans.

If an owner has no TV money, no players to sell, only 9,000 loyal supporters per game, and FFP rules limiting the amount he can invest, then how can he possibly afford championship players.
The paper today said that they had new owners last month who are refusing to put any money into the Club. All sounds a bit fishy to me.

Wolf

seems to me "because of Covid" could be removed from the subject header
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

Stoneleigh Loyalist

An interesting point is that it is being said that due to non payment of wages Wigan may not be able to complete their final seven matches. I do not think that will happen as someone will find the money but if it was to happen what would happen about the points for their remaining games?