watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jonathan Liew

Started by Carborundum, July 04, 2020, 12:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carborundum

I'll apologise in advance, what follows may make some on here rather cross, but it had me snorting porridge through my nose with laughter this morning.  So I thought I'd better share it.  Jonathan Liew is an award winning sports journalist writing for the Guardian who has just written a rather long article about Jordan Henderson, the gist of which is that Mr Henderson has achieved a level of serenity by realising he's only good enough to be a water carrier.  Since I like a man who knows his limitations and he's rather better at football than me, all fine.  Winning trophies has probably helped him a bit too.   But the article also contains a couple of lines that may very accurately and rather cruelly expose what the wider world feels about our club.  They go like this:

"Meanwhile, Henderson himself has overcome more than most to get there: disillusionment, heartbreak, the very real prospect of being sold to Fulham in a swap deal with Clint Dempsey. On some level, you feel, he's still trying to process what it all means."

I should probably feel outraged, but I don't.  Full article can be found at:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/03/jordan-henderson-liverpool-interview-pressing-politics-klopp-mentality

filham

Sold to Fulham. - He should be so lucky.

Jem

The Grauniad as accurate as ever.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Southcoastffc

If you google Jonathan Liew you'll see he is a serial sneerer at Fulham.  The only decent piece I've found by him was when he interviewed Brede Hangeland.  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/10622939/Fulham-defender-Brede-Hangeland-Im-just-an-ordinary-guy-who-happens-to-play-football.html
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Skatzoffc

imo, he is only good enough to be  water carrier.

How he gets into the England team is baffling to me.
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

domprague

Quote from: Skatzoffc on July 04, 2020, 02:40:54 PM
imo, he is only good enough to be  water carrier.

How he gets into the England team is baffling to me.

Because every team needs a water carrier.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Statto

If he's a Guardian journalist then I should imagine that like most of their staff and readership, he'd fit right in with the posh actors and American bankers that make their way to West London to watch Fulham on a Saturday, but aches to be seen as a salt-of-the-earth Palace, West Ham or Burnley type