Started by howitis, July 01, 2020, 10:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

Crumb's.... that's a figure...or is he paying us that

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: @jolslover on July 02, 2020, 08:45:58 AM
Quote from: Jims Dentist on July 02, 2020, 02:24:11 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 02, 2020, 12:13:29 AM
I like players with great statistics like Jed Wallace whose stats are amazing. The statistics say Knockaert moves  brilliantly with the ball but then misses the target repeatedly, while watching that is great, the statistics say that a player like that is a valueless in a team looking to win.
Hi TRF.
So reading the above what logic is there for TK (who you defend as if you life depends on it) signing him in the first place.

It's not hard to understand - everyone said we had to get Championship experienced players and when Brighton went up he was the best player in the whole league. That is why we signed him and why it was a good signing at the time.

He may have been the best player in the Championship FOR BRIGHTON but we needed players suitable for OUR squad and OUR style of football and he clearly isn't. But of course, if our head of recruitment has limited experience with football and mostly looks at computer stats I'm sure he must have looked like the perfect player for us...

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on July 02, 2020, 11:21:11 AM
If we fail to get promoted we will need to rebuild and his wages alone would be better spent.

If we go up, I don't see how he will be worth a place.

And, if we fail to go up, we also need a settled team/squad, so we can hit the ground running again, without having to replace half of it, or wait ages for players to come in.

I agree, 10.5M is very steep for a 29 year old, however, I can categorically tell you now, we are not paying that, it's made up media bull, just to give them something to talk about. The figure is nearer 5.5M, and based on Knockhaert, we were going to wait and see what division we were in before taking the option.

If we remain down, and retain the likes of Cav, Reid, Knock, Hector, Cairney and miraculously Mitro and Reed, then add a few, we'll be looking quite healthy.

Makes a change of having to replace 9 odd loanee's every season.

Southcoastffc

Hindsight eh? Isn't it wonderful.  Who, at the beginning of the season wasn't salivating at the prospect of a front 3 of Cav, Mitro and Knocky?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

@jolslover

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on July 02, 2020, 03:59:39 PM
Quote from: @jolslover on July 02, 2020, 08:45:58 AM
Quote from: Jims Dentist on July 02, 2020, 02:24:11 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 02, 2020, 12:13:29 AM
I like players with great statistics like Jed Wallace whose stats are amazing. The statistics say Knockaert moves  brilliantly with the ball but then misses the target repeatedly, while watching that is great, the statistics say that a player like that is a valueless in a team looking to win.
Hi TRF.
So reading the above what logic is there for TK (who you defend as if you life depends on it) signing him in the first place.

It's not hard to understand - everyone said we had to get Championship experienced players and when Brighton went up he was the best player in the whole league. That is why we signed him and why it was a good signing at the time.

He may have been the best player in the Championship FOR BRIGHTON but we needed players suitable for OUR squad and OUR style of football and he clearly isn't. But of course, if our head of recruitment has limited experience with football and mostly looks at computer stats I'm sure he must have looked like the perfect player for us...

What is our style of football? because it's meant to be possession but we spent half the game lumping it to Reid on Tuesday. Come off it everyone was saying what a good signing Knockaert was at the time.
STH H3

@jolslover

Quote from: Southcoastffc on July 02, 2020, 04:14:09 PM
Hindsight eh? Isn't it wonderful.  Who, at the beginning of the season wasn't salivating at the prospect of a front 3 of Cav, Mitro and Knocky?

Exactly
STH H3

F.luke

Good player ruined by Parker ? Ask any Brighton supporter

Twig

Quote from: F.luke on July 02, 2020, 06:41:45 PM

Why because any Brighton supporter would know about Parker's coaching and tactics?

ByTheRiver

The thing is, this was almost certainly agreed at the time. Even the announcement said with a view to buy. I would hazard a guess that there was a commitment to buy in the deal (probably similar to Reid and Cav). So the decision would have been made before the season as a calculated risk that we'd be in a auto promotion position and the fee would seem small (and he'd have been more productive).

Which, you know, I would have wholeheartedly agreed with and I suspect many here too would if they are honest. So no criticism here.

Statto

Quote from: Twig on July 02, 2020, 07:19:16 PM

Why because any Brighton supporter would know about Parker's coaching and tactics?

When Mitrovic was getting slagged off by McClaren during the Leeds commentary at the weekend, there were lots on here (happy to admit they included me) saying McClaren was just a crap manager who couldn't get the best out of Mitrovic.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on July 02, 2020, 09:03:43 PM
Quote from: Twig on July 02, 2020, 07:19:16 PM

When Mitrovic was getting slagged off by McClaren during the Leeds commentary at the weekend, there were lots on here (happy to admit they included me) saying McClaren was just a crap manager who couldn't get the best out of Mitrovic.

Tony Khan habit of somewhat randomly building a squad of good players, requires a good manager to turn into a team. Many England Managers like Steve McClaren have failed, but it is surely not that hard to turn a squad like below into a championship-winning team.

Here is a random team from the last three season PFA team of the year players. It seems to be the way Tony Khan acquires players, he doesn't make the mangers job easy, but still not that hard.

1. Darren Randolph
2. Ryan Fredericks
3. Jamal Lewis
4. Pontus Jansson
5. Sol Bamba
6. Oliver Norwood
7. Anthony Knockaert
8. Tom Cairney
9. Teemu Pukki    
10. Bobby Reid
11. Ryan Sessegnon

Alternatively, if the Manager was Steve McClaren, he'd blame recruitment.

Motspur Park

Knock has seen plenty of the ball all season. It is not Parker's fault that Knock has been guilty of poor execution. That is down to poor technique and lack of confidence. A player hitting the back of the net regularly would place the ball better rather than trying to take the back of the net out.

FulhamStu

If we have already shelled our in excess of £4M then it makes sense to cough up the rest as he is definitely worth £5.5.   The issue then is getting the best out of him next season.   He was a great player for both Leicester and Brighton in the Championship so there is no reason why he could not come good for us.

Southdowns White

I live down here surrounded by Brighton season ticket holders, They have a lot of respect for him still but the general consensus was, He had been a really passionate player who gave everything for Brighton, even then he had problems with releasing the ball at the right time, his last season with them was patchy and Brighton supporters were split between, let him go he's not good enough and keep him he's been a great servant who loves the club. As we now see the first group were probably correct in respect of the benefits he could no longer bring to their club. Personally I like his passion but do not see him as the future of our club. The only thing that may help is playing a system which would suit his style of play, under Parker that is not going to happen anytime soon.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on July 02, 2020, 04:00:43 PM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on July 02, 2020, 11:21:11 AM
If we fail to get promoted we will need to rebuild and his wages alone would be better spent.

If we go up, I don't see how he will be worth a place.

And, if we fail to go up, we also need a settled team/squad, so we can hit the ground running again, without having to replace half of it, or wait ages for players to come in.

I agree, 10.5M is very steep for a 29 year old, however, I can categorically tell you now, we are not paying that, it's made up media bull, just to give them something to talk about. The figure is nearer 5.5M, and based on Knockhaert, we were going to wait and see what division we were in before taking the option.

If we remain down, and retain the likes of Cav, Reid, Knock, Hector, Cairney and miraculously Mitro and Reed, then add a few, we'll be looking quite healthy.

Makes a change of having to replace 9 odd loanee's every season.

If the fee is around £5 Million in total and we have already paid a chunk of it in the loan fee I would go along with signing him up if we are promoted.
But as we have already signed Cav who has also been disappointing I wouldn't want to see the pair of them in the team next season in the EFL.

spikey norman

According to today's West London Sport  Parker confirms Fulham's intention to sign Knochaert
Parker is quoted as saying "Anthony has done extremely well and is a pleasure to work with"

Jimsbeerbelly

Once again, and before everyone jumps on the attack when this happens, the fee is NOT 10.5M, it's around 5.5M, which I also believe includes the original 1 or 2M loan fee we paid Brighton.

Based on that, and for a player of his quality (when he shows it) is not a bad deal.

Yes, he's 28, nearly 29, but established here, and ready to go next season if we stay down. If we go up, we deal with that then, but it'll look like pocket change.

Onward and upwards.