WhiteJC

Results

Friday
Charlton
0-1
Millwall

WhiteJC

Fulham beat competition from "Europe's biggest clubs" to sign PSG youngster

Fulham have confirmed on their official club website that young left-back Ziyad Larkeche has signed on a free transfer from French giants PSG.

Fulham have moved to bring a new young star into their academy set-up, bringing in young French left-back Ziyad Larkeche on a free transfer. The youngster has signed in a bargain deal after his departure from European titans PSG.

Fulham confirmed the deal on their official club website and claimed that they had fended off interest from "some of Europe's biggest clubs" to secure a deal for Larkeche.

Upon the announcement, Larkeche spoke to the club's official website to express his delight at the move. He said that he is looking forward to making the most of the "massive opportunity" that has been given to prove himself. He said:

"I am over the moon with this move. Joining a traditional and historic club like Fulham is a dream come true. From the first sight, the club really convinced me that it was the best option for me so I look forward to giving my best for the team.

"I would like to thank the club and my agents, Gold Kick, for this massive opportunity."

Larkeche will link up with the club's Under-23s side to start with and will be hoping to break into Scott Parker's senior side while continuing his development with the Cottagers.

Fulham's academy director, Huw Jennings, also spoke about the signing of Larkeche, saying that he feels the deal is a "major coup".

"We're absolutely delighted for Ziyad to be joining us," he said.

"We've been looking out for a talented attacking-minded left-back and feel this signing is a major coup. He will initially compete in our Under-23 team and hopefully,he can move forward from there."

https://the72.co.uk/177214/fulham-beat-competition-from-europes-biggest-clubs-to-sign-psg-youngster/

WhiteJC

"Exciting prospect" Fulham announce arrival of 10-goal Scottish starlet

Fulham have confirmed on their official club website that Scottish starlet Kieron Bowie has officially linked up with the club after agreeing on a deal in February.

Earlier this year, Fulham secured the signing of Raith Rovers starlet Kieron Bowie, as covered here on The72. Now, it has been confirmed that upon the beginning of his contract with the Craven Cottage club, Bowie's move has been made official.

Bowie remained with Raith until the end of the season to continue his development but with their season finished, he has now linked up with Scott Parker's side.

Upon the announcement, Huw Jennings – Fulham's academy director – commented on the signing of Bowie. He said that the youngster was being tracked by a "significant number of clubs" before Fulham secured a deal, saying:

"We are delighted that Kieron has joined Fulham. We were aware that a significant number of clubs were tracking him, and we moved very quickly to secure his services.

"Kieron is an exciting prospect, he is a commanding central striker for his age, he has an eye for goal and knows how to lead the line. He has an excellent temperament and is ideally suited to the Fulham way.

"We are indebted to Raith Rovers for their support in enabling Kieron and his family to visit our Motspur Park training ground to help confirm the deal."

Bowie has enjoyed a thoroughly successful season in the senior side with Raith Rovers, breaking into the club's first-team picture and going on to score 10 goals and lay on six assists in 36 appearances for the side.

With Bowie's arrival now completed, it will be interesting to see how he develops with Fulham. The Scottish starlet will be hoping to follow in the footsteps of the likes of Harvey Elliott, who burst onto the scene with Fulham.

https://the72.co.uk/177221/exciting-prospect-fulham-announce-arrival-of-10-goal-scottish-starlet/

WhiteJC

Birmingham Matchday Programmes

After getting back on track with a win over Queen's Park Rangers on Tuesday, Sky Bet Championship action continues at Craven Cottage on Saturday 4th July against Birmingham City.

So, don't forget to buy your Official Matchday Programme which is available both online and a limited print edition.

There are three home fixtures remaining in the regular season against Birmingham City, Cardiff City and Sheffield Wednesday.

Each of these programmes will comprise the usual jam-packed 100 pages, full of great features, including notes from Scott Parker, opposition previews and the latest news from Fulham FC.

We will have a limited number of copies of the Matchday Programme on sale at the Club Shop on Friday, July 3, from 2pm.

However, if you can't get to the Club Shop, you will be able to download the Fulham FC v Birmingham City programme from 6am on Saturday (https://pocketmags.com/fulham-fc-magazine) for just £1.99 now from our friends at Pocketmags.

Should you wish to pre-order a copy of the Official Matchday Programme for the games against Cardiff City and Sheffield Wednesday and have them posted to you before the games, you can pre-order now from www.pressboxpublishing.co.uk.

Please order before 11am on the Tuesday before each game – so if you want a programme for the Cardiff City clash, order before 11am on Tuesday, 7th July. Likewise, if you wish to pre-order a programme for the final home game of the regular season against Sheffield Wednesday, do this before 11am on Tuesday, July 14.

Please note that the Stadium Store remains closed on behind-closed-doors matchdays.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/july/03/birmingham-programme

WhiteJC

Teenage striker Kieron Bowie's move to English Championship side Fulham has landed Raith Rovers a six-figure windfall

Kieron Bowie has made life-changing move down south

Teenager Kieron Bowie has landed Raith Rovers a six-figure windfall after completing his move to Fulham.

The 17-year-old striker penned a pre-contract with the English Championship outfit back in February and has now sealed the switch after helping Rovers land the League One title.

The transfer will land the Stark's Park outfit an initial £150,000, with that figure set to rise further depending on first-team appearances and a percentage of any future sell-on fee.

The money will be crucial in helping to keep Raith afloat, according to manager John McGlynn, who gave the club further reason for celebration yesterday when he and assistant Paul Smith agreed contract extensions to tie them to the club for another two years.

And, as he completed his move south, the dugout duo were in thoughts of Bowie, who finished the campaign as Raith's top scorer with 10 goals in 35 appearances before the premature end in March.

He said: "The last year or so has been a whirlwind and dream to play and score in the first-team.

"To now get the chance to join a club the size of Fulham is really exciting and a great opportunity to help progress my career.

"I will be forever grateful for the chance the management team have given me, so it was really important for me to finish the season with Raith.

"I'm looking forward to joining Fulham and getting started."

McGlynn handed Bowie his debut aged just 16 in February last year and admits his departure could prove crucial off the pitch for Raith.

He said: "The supporters have been fantastic with the way they have backed the club financially, it's been truly humbling, and the money coming in for Kieron will also help the board of directors keep the club afloat and keep the club going. That is the most important thing, because they club's got to be there in future for the fans, and Kieron's money will help that as well.

"It has been a pleasure working and seeing Kieron develop so quickly – he has improved beyond all recognition in the last 12 months.

"We feel it's a great opportunity for Kieron to join a club such as Fulham who have a great history, and think it will be a good fit for him."

Meanwhile, McGlynn, who was out of contract at Rovers this summer, has expressed his delight at putting the finishing touches to a new two-year deal.

He said: "The negotiations have been on-going for some time but a lot of it stalled because of the coronavirus. It was always going to get done, it was just a matter of the right time.

"We were furloughed and I've only just come off furlough on July 1, so it was an appropriate time to get it sorted out.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my second term at the club and look forward to working with the players in the SPFL Championship.

"Hopefully we will get the chance to celebrate the league win when we can all be back at Stark's Park."

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-championship/1418909/raith-rovers-kieron-bowie-fulham-transfer-fee/

WhiteJC

David Prutton issues verdict on Birmingham City's trip to face Fulham

Sky Sports EFL pundit David Prutton has issued his verdict on Fulham's clash with Birmingham City on Saturday, suggesting that Scott Parker's side will edge it and claim all three points.

Fulham got back to winning ways on Tuesday night as they secured a 2-1 against QPR in the west London derby, a result that has kept them within reach of the top two.

The Cottagers sit fifth, seven points back from the automatic promotion, and will know that they'll need to put together an impressive run over the final six games of the season if they're to close that gap.

They will be without star striker Aleksander Mitrovic for this one, however, as the Serbian is still serving a suspension for his elbow on Leeds United defender Ben White.

Fulham welcome a Birmingham side at risk of being pulled down into the relegation battle if they don't find some form over the next few weeks.

Pep Clotet's side sit just six points above the bottom three and are winless since the return of the Championship.

Writing for the Sky Sports website, Prutton has indicated that their winless streak will continue and predicted Fulham will claim a 1-0 victory at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

The Verdict

It's hard to disagree with Prutton on this one. Fulham have looked far from convincing since the Championship got back underway in late June and are without their main attacking threat in Mitrovic.

That said, the Blues look a bit lost at present and were beaten 3-0 by Huddersfield Town in midweek.

The announcement that Clotet will leave the club at the end of the season appears to derailed the Blues slightly, which means Fulham are likely to claim all three points in this one.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/david-prutton-issues-verdict-on-birmingham-citys-trip-to-face-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham are set to sign Knockaert on permanent deal

Scott Parker has confirmed that Fulham are poised to sign Anthony Knockaert from Brighton on a permanent deal.

The Frenchman, 28, moved to Craven Cottage on a season-long loan last summer and has been a key player in Fulham's battle for promotion back to the Premier League.

"It's a deal we're looking to make permanent," Whites boss Parker said.

"He's done extremely well. I think Anthony would be the first to say as well that he can still bring even more.

"He's a pleasure to work with and I look forward to having him more long-term."

Parker believes buying Knockaert would be another sign of Fulham's ambition.

"I think it's been evident all along, since the owners first took over," he said.

"I don't think it could be said the owners haven't shown ambition and haven't put in every resource they can."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-wls-fulham-anthony-knockaert-brighton-permanent-deal-0207201

WhiteJC

Kieron Bowie completes Fulham move
Raith Rovers' teenage striker Kieron Bowie has completed his move to English Championship side Fulham having agreed a pre-contract with the London side back in February.

Bowie has completed his move to Fulham having signed a pre-contract back in February

The 17-year old signed on at Craven Cottage earlier this year but stayed in Kirkcaldy till the expiry of his deal this week.

A local lad, Bowie netted ten times last season for the League 1 champions which helped earn him the move down south.

Speaking back in February, Bowie said: "The last year or so has been a whirlwind and dream to play and score in the first team. To now get the chance to join a club the size of Fulham is really exciting and a great opportunity to help progress my career.

"I will be forever grateful for the chance the management team have given me, so it was really important for me to finish the season with Raith. I'm looking forward to joining Fulham and getting started."

Raith Rovers manager John McGlynn added: "Everyone at Raith Rovers FC are delighted for Kieron who has agreed to join Fulham FC on 1st July. It has been a pleasure working and seeing Kieron develop so quickly, he has improved beyond all recognition in the last 12 months.

"We feel it's a great opportunity for Kieron to join a club such as Fulham who have a great history and think it will be a good fit for him."

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/kieron-bowie-completes-fulham-move-2903146

WhiteJC

"I refused a lot of offers" – New signing explains why he chose Fulham move and sets his goals

New Fulham signing Ziyad Larkeche has revealed he chose a move to Craven Cottage despite offers from Italy and Spain.

Larkeche joined the Cottagers on a free transfer from PSG earlier this week, having found himself out of contract at the French giants this summer.

The move was a surprising one on several levels, with Fulham not exactly considered a prime destination for a 17-year-old looking to make his first steps in the game.

Larkeche, though, insists he made a considered choice in choosing Fulham as his next destination, turning down offers from elsewhere in Europe to do so.

"It was one of the first clubs to come forward," he told L'Equipe. 

"They showed a strong interest in me. I refused a lot of offers in Italy, in Spain. It is a position (left side) in great demand in Europe.

"The objective, at first, is to impose myself with the U23 and then to access the first team. It is a carefully considered choice.

"The attack side, box to box, that suits me. I like the impact, the intensity. It's a league that fits my game."

Leaving PSG came as something of a surprise for Larkeche, who, like many youngsters at the club, had dreamed of making it big with the Parisian giants.

Instead, the opposite have proven to be true, with him becoming the latest in a long line of young players developed at the club to head to pastures new in search of football.

Indeed, the subject of a lack of opportunities for young players at the club is a hot one at present, but Larkeche insists it's not really an issue.

"For my family and me, it was a surprise. Then you have to accept this choice. It's part of life. Today, I will devote myself 100% to my new club and my new goals," he added.

"I am an ambitious person. The objective is always to integrate the first team. It's a dream to be able to join the pro group and to be able to play with Neymar, Mbappé.

"There are young people who are given a chance. Today, in training, there is Arnaud (Kalimuendo), Timothée (Pembélé).

"At PSG, we can have a chance, but that was not my story."

http://sportwitness.co.uk/i-refused-lot-offers-new-signing-explains-chose-fulham-move-sets-goals/

WhiteJC

'Mathematically possible' - Fulham star wades in on Birmingham City's relegation worry

Birmingham City go to Fulham this weekend looking for their first win in nine Championship matches - and looking over their shoulder

Fulham captain Tom Cairney believes Birmingham City are 'kind of safe' despite stuttering in their last two home games.

The midfielder will leads his team against Blues at Craven Cottage on Saturday with the contestants coming into the match on the back of contrasting results.

While the Whites secured their first win since the restart with victory at QPR, Blues are still looking for theirs after draws with West Brom and Hull and a sobering 3-0 beating in midweek.

Speaking to Fulham TV the 29-year-old feels Blues will be looking to bounce back.

"There is no easy game in this league, they got beat by Huddersfield on Wednesday, so we have got to be at it," he said.

"They are going to look to pull off a bit of a scalp and make sure they secure safety.

"They are kind of safe but it's still mathematically possible to go down so we have got to be at it and look to get on a bit of a run to get some momentum going until the end of the season.

"There are still 21 points to play for, no-one expected Luton to get a point at Leeds the other night, it just shows you in this league anything can happen.

"We will concentrate on ourselves, I think we got the monkey off our back the other night with our first win hopefully that settles everyone's nerves and we can crack on with another win."

Blues are six points above the bottom three – with half a dozen matches remaining. Fulham are trying to keep pace with the automatic promotion places but now sit fifth, seven points adrift.

Blues lost 1-0 to Fulham earlier this season – the same scoreline as their last visit to Craven Cottage in December 2017, which saw Jeremie Boga miss a second half penalty.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mathematically-possible-fulham-star-wades-18536224

WhiteJC

Fulham boss looking for more from Anthony Knockaert

Anthony Knockaert in action for Fulham

Scott Parker says there is more to come from Anthony Knockaert when he makes his move to Fulham permanent.

The Craven Cottage boss has been speaking about the French winger, who signed from Albion initially on loan last summer.

As consistently reported by The Argus, the loan was a precursor to a permanent deal barring unforeseen circumstances.

Fulham have arguably under-achieved in the Championship this season but look set to contest Premier League promotion in the play-offs.

Parker said: "He's done extremely well. I think Anthony would be the first to say as well that he can still bring even more.

"He's a pleasure to work with and I look forward to having him more long-term."

Knockaert spoke in May about how tough it had been to leave Albion and Brighton behind as he settled into a new home in Wimbledon.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18560354.fulham-boss-looking-anthony-knockaert/

WhiteJC

Former Fulham youngster signs professional terms with Blackpool
Former Fulham youngster Cameron Antwi has signed professional terms with Blackpool.

Former Fulham youngster Cameron Antwi has signed professional terms with Blackpool.

The 18-year-old, who moved to Bloomfield Road from Craven Cottage last summer, was a regular starter for Pool's Under-18 side prior to the coronavirus outbreak.

The defensive midfielder, who has penned a one-year deal with the Seasiders, also featured in Pool's reserve squad.

The contract also involves the option to extend by a further year.

"I'm really pleased to have signed on the dotted line and I can't wait to get started," Antwi said.

"I've worked tirelessly since I joined the academy 12 months ago from Fulham.

It's been a big change, but football is so important to me and I'm over the moon to have signed a professional contract with Blackpool.

"This is just the start. It's important I now continue to work hard and try and work my way into the first-team plans, which is something I'm determined to do."

The Londoner, who was born to Ghanaian parents, will link up with Pool's first-team ahead of the 2020/21 season.

Academy manager Warren Green said: "When Cameron joined us, it was an early sign of intent from Simon Sadler on how important he views developing our own players.

"Cameron has seized his opportunity really well. He excelled in the Under-18's and went on to do exceptionally well in the Central Development League last season.

"Working under a head coach like Neil Critchley, who is renowned for supporting and nurturing players to achieve their potential, will be a great help to Cameron.

"We wish him all the very best and will watch how he progresses over the next few years with interest."

Blackpool teenager Bradley Holmes, a striker, has also signed a two-year professional contract with the club and will initially link-up with the Under-18 squad to continue his development.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/former-fulham-youngster-signs-professional-terms-blackpool-2903728

WhiteJC

FOF'cast with Tom Greatrex & Owen Smith

On this episode of FOF'cast, we are joined by Tom Greatrex, chair of the Fulham Supporters Trust, and Friends of Fulham member Owen Smith.

We discuss the following;

Thoughts on the QPR game
    Scott Parkers Tactics against QPR
    Did the QPR win buy Scott Parker a bit more time?
    How much did we miss Mitovic?
    The stand out performer v QPR
    Moving on to Birmingham
    Current situation at Wigan Athletic, and will it effect the rest of the Championship / EFL?
    Birmingham Score Predictions?

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=1192

WhiteJC

Fulham's Cyrus Christie insists now is the time for all footballers to be heard

EXCLUSIVE: The Republic of Ireland international is making a difference off the pitch, both in his own community and beyond

Christie has been acclaimed for his work away from the pitch (Image: PA)

Cyrus Christie believes there has never been a more important time for footballers to make their voice heard.

Fulham defender ­Christie, 27, is an ­example of how players can make a difference on and off the pitch.

He was named PFA Community Player of the Year for the Championship this year and has taken lessons from his own tough upbringing and put them to good use.

His work with the ­Football Beyond Borders project has helped educate youngsters, and he also works with the Fulham Foundation and made calls to ­vulnerable ­people during lockdown.

But it is his award that gives him most pride because it is recognition for ­making a difference.

"This means the most ­because I look at how I can impact other people's lives," he said.

"I'm privileged as a ­footballer, living my dream job and, for me, it's creating opportunities for other ­people who might not feel they get those chances.

"I want to leave a legacy. I don't think people realise the impact sports people can have on others.

"You look at Marcus Rashford and what he has done.

"There's more of us wanting to make a ­difference.

"As a footballer, your voice is a lot more powerful than you think. A lot come from under-­privileged ­backgrounds, they can use their platform to affect things in a positive way."

Christie grew up in ­Coventry and suffered racist abuse as a kid and during his career.

Those ­experiences include his early days when friends would get into trouble and using his uncle Errol, the former boxer, as an inspiration.

"I take a lot of inspiration from my uncle, my mum, my dad and you also have to learn from others as well," he said.

Errol Christie during his fight career (Image: PA Archive/PA Images)

"I've got a friend who has just been released from prison and you have to learn from their mistakes while also ­passing on your knowledge and wisdom.

I've found myself in certain ­situations like when my friend was stabbed in the face from the corner of his eye to the corner of his mouth over a five-a-side game.

"They went out for revenge and my friend got stabbed 12 times and luckily I didn't go, my Nan made me stay in the house when it could have been me.

"Maybe those are the defining moments in your life.

"This generation struggles to relate to people in power, which is maybe why a footballer's voice can be more powerful. The main thing is people need to educate themselves on the Black Lives Matter campaign."

Christie also believes Fulham are still ­capable of going up ­automatically as he scored the winner in midweek at QPR and he believes they can chase down Leeds and West Brom.

He added: "The top two is still in sight because when you get that one result things can swing back round. That is what ­everyone wants because the play-offs are such a lottery."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulhams-cyrus-christie-insists-now-22299352

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Preview: Fulham vs. Birmingham City With Emily Drakeley From Birmingham Fan TV

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

In this episode, we spoke to Emily Drakeley from Birmingham Fan TV. She was on the show to give us the Birmingham City perspective of this match against Fulham.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2020/7/3/21312927/cottage-talk-preview-fulham-vs-birmingham-city-with-emily-drakeley-from-birmingham-fan-tv

WhiteJC

Fulham Welcome Birmingham City to Craven Cottage

Promotion chasing Fulham welcome Birmingham City to Craven Cottage. Scott Parker's team are looking to build on their excellent West London derby win over Queen's Park Rangers.

In contrast, Pep Clotet will be looking for a response from his team after their crushing home loss to Huddersfield Town. A game with high stakes for both sides.

Fulham Welcome Birmingham City to Craven Cottage
It's a Case of Building on Success for Fulham

Fulham head into this game full of confidence after seeing off QPR in the latest West London derby. Scott Parker's team came from behind to secure victory – a much-needed win after a string of defeats to promotion rivals.

However, if Fulham are to keep their automatic promotion hopes alive, they must continue winning football matches. They head into this game seven points adrift of second-place West Bromwich Albion. Anything other than a win against Birmingham could see them consigned to the play-offs.

Scott Parker remains without top scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic who serves the second of a three-match ban. Scott Parker may opt to name the same eleven meaning Bobby Decordova-Reid will lead the line.

Birmingham City Hoping to End Their Winless Streak

Birmingham travel to West London hoping to ensure their Championship status. The Blues are six points clear of the relegation zone but are winless in eight Championship games.

Pep Clotet will demand a response after an abject performance against Huddersfield last time out. Defeat at Craven Cottage could plunge Birmingham into deep trouble with the sides below slowly finding some late-season form.

Clotet is likely to make changes after Wednesday's horror show. Harlee Dean and Ivan Sunjic could be recalled. Aston Villa loanee Scott Hogan could be dropped with Clotet likely to play a five-man midfield.

Victory at Craven Cottage will edge Birmingham closer to securing another season in the Championship. The Blues are hoping releasing the news regarding Pep Clotet's future will not come back to haunt them.

Previous Meeting

It was a tight contest at St Andrews which Fulham edged. The only goal of the game came from Fulham's main man Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Prediction

Both sides are targeting the win for different causes. Fulham need the win to keep their automatic promotion hopes alive. The Blues need the points to ensure they aren't embroiled in the relegation battle. It was a tight game at St Andrews and we expect a similar pattern here.

Fulham 1-0 Birmingham City

https://lastwordonfootball.com/2020/07/04/fulham-welcome-birmingham-city-to-craven-cottage/

WhiteJC

Knockaert's Fulham Future – Who else should Khan be considering?

The Background
Fulham fans were excited when the announcement came through last summer that they had secured French winger Anthony Knockaert on a season-long loan from Brighton for their return to the Championship. The 27-year-old had appeared in 30 Premier League games the previous season and had been an important player for the Seagulls since he'd arrived from Standard Liège midway through the 2015/16 season.

He also had proven track record at Championship level, recording 15 goals and 8 assists in Brighton's promotion campaign in 2016/17, although he had struggled to be as effective the Premier League.

News is now emerging that the right winger is expected to join Fulham on a permanent basis in the coming days, with manager Scott Parker stating, "He's done extremely well. I think Anthony would be the first to say as well that he can still bring even more." In this piece, we'll be looking at just how well Knockaert has done this campaign, and whether bringing him in on a permanent basis is the right course of action for the Whites.

Last season, Chris Hughton's Brighton struggled and Knockaert was in and out of the team. Hughton's squad had a variety of options available to play in midfield and when they were fit, Davy Propper, Solly March, Dale Stephens and Pascal Gross were all considered essential by Hughton. This meant Knockaert was competing for a final spot in the starting XI with Alireza Jahanbakhsh – whose season was affected by injury – Jurgen Locadia, Beram Kayal and Jose Izquierdo. The signing of Leandro Trossard last summer created even more selection headaches for new manager Graham Potter, especially with the emergence of utlility man Steven Alzate.

For all these reasons, Fulham were then given the opportunity to take the Frenchman on loan, and alongside the new signings of Ivan Cavaleiro and Bobby Decordova-Reid, Fulham had a new offensive line in place to support Aleksandar Mitrović.

Fulham's tactical set up under Scott Parker this season has been either a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 depending on the personnel selected to play behind Mitrović. Their build up play has been slow, measured and very possession heavy, with an emphasis on building from the back through centre backs Tim Ream and Michael Hector.

Fulham's full backs, especially Joe Bryan on the left, are instructed to overlap and support Fulham's wide players, although there's been no obvious tactical instruction on how best to get the ball to natural goalscorer Mitrović. The Serbian striker is playing well below himself in England's second tier with 23 goals from 36 games, however, his most impressive skills – being dominant in the air and able to hold up the ball well – are sometimes under-utilised in Fulham's set up.

A supporting winger for Mitrović needs to have several key attributes. They need to be able to create a number of chances from the wide areas, producing accurate crosses for Mitrović. They need to be comfortable dribbling at defenders in order to do this, however, raw speed isn't a necessity. Due to Fulham's patient build-up play, mainly due to the Serb's lack of pace, Fulham very rarely hit teams on the counter.

The player in question also needs to be able to keep the ball well and have good decision making. Recognizing when there may be a better option than attempting to cross or shoot is important in a team that rely so heavily on being in possession.

The Player
The majority of Fulham fans would have expected more from Knockaert during his time at Craven Cottage so far. The winger has played in all but four of Fulham's league games this season, starting 27 out of 40 matches thus far. Three goals and four assists so far mean Knockaert is involved in a goal once every four games for Fulham, a disappointing output from a player so heavily involved.

To solely blame Knockaert for this though would be very unfair. A predominantly left-footed player, Knockaert has never been a winger who looks to beat a full-back down the line and put a cross in with his weaker foot and has instead been encouraged to pick up the ball in advanced areas, cut inside and either shoot or lay off a pass to a teammate.

Knockaert does average more key passes via crosses than any other player in Fulham's squad, but this number is just over one per 90 minutes (via WhoScored), a criminally low output considering Mitrović's prowess in the air, and only two of his assists have come via this method.

Knockaert has also attempted more than 40 fewer dribbles this season than his counterpart Cavaleiro on the opposite wing, and only has a 52% success rate when running with the ball at his feet which is marginally worse than Cavaleiro's 54%. Too often both wingers are dispossessed in key creative areas, although once again the blame doesn't lie solely with the players, as Parker too often instructs his wingers to start high up the pitch on the touchline, leaving them isolated and unable to easily link up with Mitrović in front of them or Tom Cairnery and Decordova-Reid laterally.

Only Mitrović has attempted more shots this season than Knockaert for Fulham, however, nearly half of these shots have come from outside the box. The result is sometimes spectacular, goals against Aston Villa in the FA Cup and West Brom in the league look good in the highlights reel, however, too often the result of Knockaert cutting inside and shooting is a turnover in possession.

The Alternatives
The likelihood that Aleksandar Mitrović will still be at Fulham next season is entirely dependent on promotion. It would be a waste of talent if the Serb spent another season in the Championship, however, to find alternatives to Knockaert we'll assume that Fulham bring in a striker with a similar skill set.

This means we're looking for a player with good dribbling and crossing stats, and good short-to-medium range passing. Accurate shooting and pressing in the attacking and middle thirds are useful skills but not essential attributes with such a productive striker in the side.

https://fromthehalfwayline.com/2020/07/04/knockaerts-fulham-future-who-else-should-khan-be-considering/

WhiteJC

John McGlynn reveals farewell hopes after 'Roy of the Rovers' Kieron Bowie sealed switch to Fulham

John McGlynn is hopeful Kieron Bowie will get the chance to complete his 'Roy of the Rovers' year by saying an emotional goodbye to the Raith fans.

The 17-year-old has now completed his glamour move to Fulham in the English Championship after catching the eye with the League One champions since his debut in February last year.

The move is expected to earn Rovers at least £150,000, which McGlynn has confessed will help keep the club going during difficult financial times.

And the Stark's Park boss admits he is thrilled to have played a role in developing one of the brightest young talents to have emerged in Scottish football in recent times.

McGlynn said: "When Kieron started last season, he was 16 and he went on to score 10 goals. Over the course of the season, in all games, he was our top goalscorer.

"What a season for a 16, 17-year-old boy. He is a Raith Rovers fan and he'll go down in the history books as the club's top goalscorer in that season.

"It's Roy of the Rovers, dream-come-true kind of stuff, for that to happen.

"I'm delighted for him, it's a great opportunity for him to move to a club like Fulham.

"Obviously, we wish him well. He's hopefully got a big future ahead of him, but it's going to be a massive change for him as well.

"It's a huge chance for a Kirkcaldy lad to go and hit the big lights of London, and everything that goes with joining a team like Fulham, who are still pushing their way to try to get into the Premier League.

"It's very exciting times for him and we can only wish him well," he added.

Bowie began training with Raith when still at school and his performances also caught the eye of a number of other clubs, including Hearts.

CHEERIO

But, with the teenager having committed himself to Fulham in a precontract in February, McGlynn is disappointed his expected send-off from his hometown team was frustrated by Covid-19.

McGlynn added: "It's been a little bit strange that his last game was the last game against Forfar and, of course, no-one knew then what was going to happen.

"It's a shame he's not had that chance and hopefully something can be done to allow him to maybe say cheerio to the fans in some way."

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2020/07/04/john-mcglynn-reveals-farewell-hopes-after-roy-of-the-rovers-kieron-bowie-sealed-switch-to-fulham-championship-fulham-transfer-news/

WhiteJC