watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

SKY's programme on Mark Schwarzer

Started by SP, June 28, 2020, 10:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Really interesting summary of Mark's career. It's a shame we can't employ him in some capacity, he's intelligent, articulate & understands our club.  I expect the money SKY pay him makes that unlikely any time soon.

Was interesting hearing him describe that brilliant squad as a band of misfit brothers.  Really disappointing to hear him say Martin Jol manufactured a disagreement with him so Stekelenberg could be signed.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: SP on June 28, 2020, 10:54:09 PM
Really interesting summary of Mark's career. It's a shame we can't employ him in some capacity, he's intelligent, articulate & understands our club.  I expect the money SKY pay him makes that unlikely any time soon.

Was interesting hearing him describe that brilliant squad as a band of misfit brothers.  Really disappointing to hear him say Martin Jol manufactured a disagreement with him so Stekelenberg could be signed.
Although Schwartz was getting on, sounds like Jol
It was rumoured that he could have got Jack Butland much cheaper at the time, but went for his injuruy prone  countryman at a much bigger fee.

bog

Jol should also be fondly remembered for breaking up the Hangaland & Hughes partnership and bring in Senderos, he also wound up Zamora....and me.  :031: 

092.gif

alfie

Personally I never had a problem with Senderos, he came in my opinion with a over the top reputation, I never thought he caused us too many problems.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

bog

Quote from: alfie on June 29, 2020, 08:53:42 AM
Personally I never had a problem with Senderos, he came in my opinion with a over the top reputation, I never thought he caused us too many problems.

Hughes and Hangaland were one of our best ever defensive partnerships, why he had to spilt them up I have no idea. 

Jims Dentist

All about opinions, but for me Schwartz was the best overall keeper I have seen for us.

I always remember on the euro run we flew out east.
Not sure if it was Russia or The Ukraine, but our plane landed and the players filed from plane to "airport terminal"
There was a fair bunch of their supporters there carrying  (I think imitation) pith forks and sickles and the players had to walk past them.
As others looked concerned Swartz had a broad grin on his face and was not at all intimidated.

filham

Schwarzer, Van de Sar and Macedo are the three best keepers I have watched and I have seen them all since 1948. Difficult to know who to put top of the list but I think I will stick with Macededo.
Yes, of course Jim Stanard is not forgotten.

ALG01

Quote from: SP on June 28, 2020, 10:54:09 PM

Jol sent a dreadful shock wave through a happy and committed squad. IMO he was MAF's biggest error and I hate being critical of MAF after all he did for us.