more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 10/07/20...

Started by WhiteJC, July 09, 2020, 11:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Liverpool: Fans speculate as Fulham announce they want £7m for Harvey Elliott

After signing his first senior contract, Harvey Elliott's former club Fulham are demanding a fee of £7 million for the 17-year-old.

Along with youth teammate Curtis Jones, the playmaker recently penned his first senior contract with Liverpool (via BBC Sport). The teenager has committed himself to three years with the Merseyside outfit, but it doesn't come without complications from his former club.

According to Paul Joyce (relayed via @LFCTransferRoom), Fulham are calling for an independent tribunal in order to get the sum of £7m for Elliott's move to Liverpool.

Loads of Liverpool fans have responded to the news and are mocking owners Fenway Sports Group. One supporter has tweeted 'summer budget gone' whilst another has said 'no Thiago'. The comments are likely to be tongue-in-cheek jibes at FSG for letting transfer target Timo Werner slip through the net. The club reportedly didn't finalise a move due to the financial impacts of coronavirus.

Liverpool have been linked to a move for Thiago Alcantara (via Daily Mail), which Kopites are jokingly assuming is off the table if the club must pay £7m for Elliott.

Invalid Tweet ID

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/liverpool-fc-transfer-rumours/liverpool-fans-speculate-as-fulham-announce-they-want-7m-for-harvey-elliott/

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I don't understand how he can sign a new contract with Liverpool.
If they haven't paid anything yet isn't he still a Fulham player.
I understand a bit about pre-agreements etc, and that he didn't want
to stay with us, but shouldn't he still be a Fulham player until a trubunal
agrees a fee and it's paid(naive I know)
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

WhiteJC

David Prutton issues prediction as Cardiff City gear up for Fulham trip

Two top-six contenders in Fulham and Cardiff City meet at Craven Cottage this weekend, with both sides desperate for a win ahead of the final four games of the season.

Fulham boosted their hopes of a top-six finish with a 1-0 win over promotion rivals Nottingham Forest in midweek, with Harry Arter scoring the game's only goal at the City Ground.

That win, along with a late 1-0 victory over Birmingham City at the weekend, has seen them climb up to fourth in the Sky Bet Championship table, 10 points clear of sixth.

Cardiff, meanwhile, will be looking to bounce back as soon as possible, after losing 3-2 to Blackburn Rovers in South Wales on Tuesday evening.

Neil Harris' side still sit sixth in the league table, but they sit only one point clear of seventh, with Swansea, Preston and Derby all chasing them.

A win is massive for both sides, so what does David Prutton think? The Sky Sports pundit has predicted a 2-2 draw in London.

He said: "Three wins on the spin for Fulham, and they will have Aleksandar Mitrovic back after his ban to boost their attacking line. It may be a little late for the top two, but they are playing themselves into some form before the play-offs.

"Cardiff opened the door for the chasing pack by losing to Blackburn on Tuesday night. Maybe the nerves are starting to kick in? This is a good chance for them to put their stamp on sixth ahead of the rest of the sides this weekend, but I think it will be a draw at Craven Cottage."

The Verdict

This is a big game for both sides this weekend, but I'd argue that is bigger for Cardiff, whose place in the top-six is not yet confirmed.

They need to bounce back after losing to Blackburn in midweek – their first defeat since the season's restart – and a trip to Craven Cottage is a tough one.

With Aleksandar Mitrovic returning for Fulham, too, this could be a timely boost for Scott Parker and his side, and I can see them winning this weekend.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/david-prutton-issues-prediction-as-cardiff-city-prepare-for-fulham-trip/

WhiteJC

#CityAsOne | Support the Bluebirds against Fulham

The Bluebirds head to Craven Cottage for tonight's 8:15pm kick-off against Fulham.

Season Ticket Holders who selected refund options 1 & 2 can watch this match live on Cardiff City TV, while it also available to stream in certain overseas countries. Find out more here.

Get behind the Bluebirds!

While the match is behind closed doors, you can still show Neil Harris and his men your support...

Share a video message (or photo) of you watching and cheering on the boys from home on Twitter or Instagram.

Remember to use the hashtag #CityAsOne.

Alternatively, you can also email your video messages of support to [email protected].

Some of the best could feature in our matchday coverage!

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/cityasone-support-bluebirds-against-fulham

WhiteJC

Solidarity with Wigan Athletic fans

Trust board member Dan Crawford offers these thoughts on the current situation at Wigan and encourages all Fulham supporters who are able to make a donation to the Wigan Athletic Supporters' Club Fundraiser.

I became involved in the supporters' movement in the early 2000s when it became clear that Fulham's historic home, Craven Cottage, was under threat. I volunteered with the Back to the Cottage campaign that persuaded Mohamed Al-Fayed to scrap his plans to play elsewhere and have been a member of the Fulham Supporters' Trust ever since.

The fans' movement is important in helping to reset the course of modern football. Our clubs are the heart of our communities, delivering far more than just matches as we have seen with the exemplary work of so many football related schemes during the coronavirus pandemic. We'd all be at a loss if our club went under, which is why Bury's shocking demise and the alarming descent of Wigan Athletic into administration last week resonated with so many fans up and down the country.

Much of Fulham's recent history has been tied up with the Latics. We were promoted from the Third Division together when Micky Adams somehow sparked a miracle on a shoestring and, somewhat unbelievably, were playing Premier League football against each other a decade later. Two former Wigan players, Jimmy Bullard and Hugo Rodallega, made significant contributions in a Fulham shirt and I've got some great memories from our away trips up there. Just a couple of weeks ago I was lamenting the loss of a great final day at the DW Stadium behind closed doors. That seems trivial now.

Wigan's case is the latest example that regulatory reform in English football is long overdue. Questions have to be asked about how Wigan, once the textbook example of the local benefactor model under Dave Whelan, were sold to a Hong Kong based company eighteen months ago for £15m and then sold again in June at a profit to an apparent new owner, who promptly decided to stop funding the club. How the EFL applied its fit and proper persons' test and approved these two sales should come under scrutiny.

Administration, a points penalty and potential relegation are now in Wigan's immediate future. The collapse of the football club could prove devastating for the town and Wigan's Supporters Club have set up a Crowfunder to keep their club alive. I've contributed to countless phoenix funds and crisis club appeals over the years – and it is true that every penny makes a difference.

I'd urge all Fulham fans, if they can, to make a donation to the Wigan fund here.

https://www.fulhamsupporterstrust.com/news/2020/07/solidarity-with-wigan-athletic-fans/

WhiteJC

Exclusive: Charlton Athletic offer new contract to winger who attracted January interest from Fulham

Charlton Athletic have offered a new contract to Alfie Doughty.

The 20-year-old has another 12 months to run on his Valley terms after the Championship side activated a clause in his deal.

Fulham looked into a deal for Doughty in the January transfer window but Charlton would not cash in on their young prospect.

The pacey left-sided attacker, who has also played at wing-back under Lee Bowyer, has made 25 Championship appearances.

He went on loan to Bromley earlier in the season but was recalled due to Charlton's injury crisis and impressed to work his way into the first-team picture.

Doughty scored his first senior goal for the club in a 2-1 win at Bristol City in December and has also claimed two assists.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-charlton-athletic-offer-new-contract-to-winger-who-attracted-january-interest-from-fulham/

Bill2

Quote from: Asotosyios on July 10, 2020, 10:38:05 AM
Quote from: filham on July 10, 2020, 10:01:43 AM
Good to see four youngsters being given contracts but if any of them make it into the first team what will stop the likes of Liverpool or Spurs pouncing in the manner that Liverpool have done recently with Elliot.
Nothing really, but it's probably the same with Fulham getting that Scottish striker and the PSG left back.

Hopefully the youngsters will be given more time with the first team and we get to see if they are good enough or not.
Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

You will alway get the big clubs sniffing around clubs like Fulham to see if they can see any talent and then pinch it on the cheap. At least if it is an English club the fee should be something decent unlike the Dembele farce with Celtic. If Fulham don't get at leat £7 mill for Elliott it will be nothing short of robbery and result in clubs doing a Brentford and scrapping their academies. Let Liverpool et al have the trouble of finding young talent and developing them.

WhiteJC

Quote from: Bill2 on July 10, 2020, 05:43:25 PM
Quote from: Asotosyios on July 10, 2020, 10:38:05 AM
Quote from: filham on July 10, 2020, 10:01:43 AM
Good to see four youngsters being given contracts but if any of them make it into the first team what will stop the likes of Liverpool or Spurs pouncing in the manner that Liverpool have done recently with Elliot.
Nothing really, but it's probably the same with Fulham getting that Scottish striker and the PSG left back.

Hopefully the youngsters will be given more time with the first team and we get to see if they are good enough or not.
Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

You will alway get the big clubs sniffing around clubs like Fulham to see if they can see any talent and then pinch it on the cheap. At least if it is an English club the fee should be something decent unlike the Dembele farce with Celtic. If Fulham don't get at leat £7 mill for Elliott it will be nothing short of robbery and result in clubs doing a Brentford and scrapping their academies. Let Liverpool et al have the trouble of finding young talent and developing them.

the thing I find "funny" is the Liverpool fans saying that if they pay us £7 million then they'll have no transfer budget left! they've just won the Premiership for crying out loud, how can they have no money for transfers!?

WhiteJC

Liverpool and EFL side set for next step as they look to agree fee for signing

As per a report from the Liverpool Echo, both Liverpool and Fulham are set for a tribunal hearing over the fee needing to be paid for Harvey Elliott.

Liverpool signed the youngster from Fulham last year and have since seen him feature on a handful of occasions, mainly in the cups, with him impressing on more than one occasion.

Indeed, he recently signed a new contract with the Reds and looks a very exciting prospect, which is perhaps why the two sides have not managed to agree a fee for him after his move to Anfield.

Naturally, Fulham would like financial compensation that reflects his potential career trajectory but, at the same time, the Reds are going to try and pay as little as possible because that is what makes the most financial sense.

A tribunal, then, is set to go ahead as they look to sort things out.

The Verdict

This was perhaps always going to happen given what Elliott has shown this season when he has played for Liverpool.

Fulham are obviously going to suffer in not being able to bring him into their first-team and will want some decent money, but it remains to be seen what they can get.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/liverpool-and-efl-side-set-for-next-step-as-they-look-to-agree-fee-for-signing/

WhiteJC

Jims Dentist

Quote from: whitejc on July 10, 2020, 07:31:59 AM
Why did Fulham just sign Anthony Knockaert?

It's the transfer deal you weren't waiting for. Fulham have signed Anthony Knockaert on a permanent contract until 2023. The question is: Why? Marco De Novellis explores.

The score was 3-3. It was cold. Deep into added time, we won a corner.

Then came Tony Knockers. Blustering; arms waving; chest pumping; after a rallying call to the away fans, he steps up. The corner is cleared by the man at the front post. The game ends.

By some cruel twist of familial neglect, my busy Christmas schedule was interrupted by an hour-long commute to Luton last Boxing Day. There, in post-apocalyptic surroundings, 800 Fulham fans – unwittingly or not – witnessed a moment that defines Anthony Knockaert's Fulham career so far.

His permanent signing is a nonsensical arrangement; likely a forced move and an example of reputation trumping reality. Knockaert was a good player, but now he's not.

71 shots, 3 goals
In 38 Championship appearances for Fulham, Tony Knockers has scored three goals and made five assists. Perhaps, like with Tom Cairney, it is Parkerball – Scott Parker's miserable tactical system – that's stifling Tony's creative freedom and natural flair.

He has taken 71 shots in total this year (Cairney has had 43). 31 have been from outside the box. Imagine playing alongside that.

In a system reliant on either Mitrovic or long-range pop-shots from marquee players, he is failing. Lately, he has moved from his principal role as an ineffective winger to that of an inverted corner flag Raumdeuter.

Rather than finding space, he gets the ball into as tight a space as possible. His goal is to take the ball to the opposition corner; to jostle, joust, and guard it there for the maximum amount of time. This charade often starts well before extra time.

Another Fulhamish article correctly identified Tony as a 'passion merchant' earlier this season. He does try; he is keen and committed. You can't fault him there.

But his below-par performances make his overzealous style a bit embarrassing. When he gestured to rally the crowd at Luton, the effect is more Zippos Circus than Messi at the Camp Nou.

A risk gone wrong
Ultimately, whether Knockaert fits Parkerball is immaterial. He has played for a year and failed to adapt. And yet, after a season-long loan, we take the option to sign him on a permanent deal.

Why? There are unconfirmed reports that we had to; that the deal was agreed last summer.

By signing Knockaert first on loan before converting into a permanent contract later, we spread the cost of the deal over a longer period of time and thus navigated the murky backwaters of FFP. The option to extend is not really an option at all.

Whether this is true or not, the club has failed. Either the transfer is a risk gone wrong or, if the club have decided to sign him on a permanent deal based on this season's performances, the decision is even more baffling. Parker himself has said he hopes there's more to come from Tony – and you can understand why.

Reputation > Reality
The Knockaert signing strikes me as the decision of an out-of-touch director of football operations attuned more to the past reputation of players than the reality on the pitch. Like most Fulham fans, I was excited when we signed Tony on loan, but it's clear now that Brighton loaned him out for a reason.

Meanwhile, Parker's Fulham team is becoming centered around older, better-known, more expensive players. Arter, Cavaleiro, Knockaert; these are journeymen footballers; too war-torn and weary to fight back against Parker's tactical tyranny.

Track records are no bad thing, but an over-reliance on reputation is dangerous. When Fulham were first relegated from the Premier League we faced a more extreme version of the same problem; players who worked well for us in the short-term contributed to our long-term demise. It was Martin Jol and Berbatov who got us relegated; not Felix Magath and Lewis Holtby.

And while our current crop have strong Championship records, their experiences in the Premier League are defined more by relegation or the substitutes bench.

As for Tony, there is talent there. I've watched clips of his promotion seasons with Leicester and Brighton. I've seen him shouting and jumping on peoples' shoulders. The passion merchantry is more palatable from a distance than it is up close.

But it's not happening now for Knockaert. I hope things change and Tony returns to the player he once was, but it doesn't look likely to happen under Parker at Fulham.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2020-07-09-why-did-fulham-just-sign-anthony-knockaert/
What a great overall post. (IMHO).