watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cairney

Started by FulhamKC, July 10, 2020, 11:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamKC

I know he is very talented and has been an amazing servant to the club, but I like our team better without him (generally). We have more bite, move the ball faster, defend better and have someone wearing the armband who is more captain material. Not a bad guy to bring off the bench if needed.

ALG01

that's so strange. all game I was thinking our midfield was clueless with no craft or guile. we looked like third rate hacks huffing and puffing and creating so little.
TC remains a thoroughbred and we miss him. he remmains our best player by 100 miles and it showed, even though it was a good win, we surely miss him.

Lighthouse

I have said that Cairney hasn't looked good for some time and been shouted down for saying such a thing. But there is no doubt he is a luxury player that could do with the rest while the workhorses in midfield can do the job that is needed.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

sunburywhite

I think our midfield has grafted without him and looked good

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Matt10

Quote from: ALG01 on July 10, 2020, 11:11:13 PM
that's so strange. all game I was thinking our midfield was clueless with no craft or guile. we looked like third rate hacks huffing and puffing and creating so little.
TC remains a thoroughbred and we miss him. he remmains our best player by 100 miles and it showed, even though it was a good win, we surely miss him.

Pace of play was at a standstill. Surprised that some aren't complaining about how much Hector and Ream played back and forth. Granted, it was the product of a high press from Cardiff's midfielders, but still. This is why when we missed simple, square, passes, it looked like amateur hour. Arter twice, Ream once for example.

StefJo made the biggest difference for me. He just bypasses the high press with beautiful passes. Very direct, even when going backwards. Arter was 2-3 seconds ahead of everyone, but playing in his own world at times.

The Cairney debate will be just that until he can actually defend himself by playing again. The 90 minutes are on FFCTV, replays on ESPN+ for those of in the US, so feel free to look through it - then come back and say whether or not Cairney doesn't make a huge difference, and please provide examples.

Whitestone

Quality player. Can be a game changer. Agree we've been excellent without him but would be better with him.

FulhamKC

As I said in the OP, Cairney is really talented and can produce at times. The problem for me is that he is often too slow and deliberate. I also think that he does not have the right personality to be captain. When he is not playing, I think the players who wear the armband do a much better job of playing the captain's role. And I think that is just as important to a team's success as having really talented players on the pitch.

Tempest

He needs legs around him, someone to do the hard dirty work for him, I see him as a luxury player, not as lazy as Ozil at Arsenal but feel they are similar.  With the right players Tom should play week in week out but I think he along with a few others is very replaceable

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

Matt10

Quote from: FulhamKC on July 10, 2020, 11:28:37 PM
As I said in the OP, Cairney is really talented and can produce at times. The problem for me is that he is often too slow and deliberate. I also think that he does not have the right personality to be captain. When he is not playing, I think the players who wear the armband do a much better job of playing the captain's role. And I think that is just as important to a team's success as having really talented players on the pitch.

Have to agree to disagree unfortunately, but I can see how those two points you make are a common finding. Unfortunately, I turn on the match replays, and the only part about him not being a traditional captain is true. Whether that's a positive or negative thing, it only matters to his teammates and manager. He's a player who can keep the ball moving, and can keep possession. He's a grinder as well, considering he was cramping badly against Birmingham City - but still passed the ball about in the final attack that led to our winning goal.

Big T

Reed alongside Onomah and Cairney for me ,,,

Saying that Stef Jo looked pure quality when he came on the pitch

Matt10

To me, it'd be a joy to watch:

Rodak

Christie   Hector   Ream   Bryan

StefJo    Reed    Cairney

Onomah

Mitro          BDR

Having two points of creativity with StefJo and Cairney could do wonders for both BDR or Cav. Unfortunately, I feel Knock's game is too predictable, if not comical at times.

ChesterTheTabby

Surely Cairney gets his place back. The Skipper is pure quality. With Reed and Onomah/StefJo/Arter near him he is the anchor of that midfield. Maybe he just needs to send a wordly into the net with his left beg to remind us all how quality he is and how lucky we are to have him. He walks into the starting 11 of  ANY team in the Champ and the lower half of the Prem.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Twig

To suggest that TC is a luxury player is wrong to me. He creates more than any other of our midfielders, picks more destructive passes and has an eye for goal.  Maybe been played slightly out of position by SP and perhaps not been at his very best this season but still a nailed on starter for me.

filham

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 10, 2020, 11:11:42 PM
I have said that Cairney hasn't looked good for some time and been shouted down for saying such a thing. But there is no doubt he is a luxury player that could do with the rest while the workhorses in midfield can do the job that is needed.
Yes I agree, don't expect him to start against West Brom , best leave the midfield to the fighters and destroyers, Arter, Reed , Onomah and Johanson will be competing for the three starting positions but expect Cairney, if fit, to come on after 60 minutes if we are losing.

Holders

Cairney's a class player, no doubt about that, but it seems to me that the midfield has been better balanced, and the side more of a team, these last few matches when it's been necessary to grind out fairly ugly results.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Bill2

TC adds a different dimension to our midfield when playing, especially in the forward position. He moves the ball quickly and very rarely gets caught in possession, he is more aware of what is happening around him than Harry Arter and can pick a pass.
Also he is our second highest scorer so why would you leave him out.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Bill2 on July 11, 2020, 03:03:45 PM
TC adds a different dimension to our midfield when playing, especially in the forward position. He moves the ball quickly and very rarely gets caught in possession, he is more aware of what is happening around him than Harry Arter and can pick a pass.
Also he is our second highest scorer so why would you leave him out.
So are people saying we need to play with 4 midfielders? Are you guys sitting Onomah or Reed?

It's great being the most creative player...but if the best scoring opportunities are made by crossing into the box, what else does Tom provide?

I'd sit Tom and Arter...but that is just me.

And Tom is one of my favorite players.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

YankeeJim

Would that give and go interaction between Stefjo & Onomah have occurred with Carney on the field?
Carney almost never gets into the box. I think that Carney sometimes has the same effect on the team that Mitro sometimes does and that is both can stifle the rest of the team. It's not that these two need to sit but that they need to involve others more. Of late both Carney and Mitro seem to be phoning it in.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Twig

Can i just point out that players don't "sit" they are benched or they are used as subs.

Matt10

Quote from: YankeeJim on July 11, 2020, 05:47:14 PM
Would that give and go interaction between Stefjo & Onomah have occurred with Carney on the field?
Carney almost never gets into the box. I think that Carney sometimes has the same effect on the team that Mitro sometimes does and that is both can stifle the rest of the team. It's not that these two need to sit but that they need to involve others more. Of late both Carney and Mitro seem to be phoning it in.

No-one can answer that. For one, it was from a throw in, which means we were completely overloaded to the far right side. So disregard base positioning.

The main benefit to that run by Onomah is that he's right footed, and was able to quickly get the shot off. If Cairney was in that position, he'd probably have to take just another touch or two - and chances are he may not shoot, instead set someone up. That's all assumption though - and again, I'll let him defend himself by his play first.