watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 22/07/20...

Started by WhiteJC, July 22, 2020, 08:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Wigan Athletic: The 12th Man - 'We fans bicker, we hurl abuse at players and managers, we even threaten not to come any more...and yet, here we are, still alive, still kicking, still refusing to go away quietly...'
Our panel of Wigan Athletic experts preview one of the biggest days in the history of the club...as the fight for survival continues both on and off the pitch...

Paul Middleton: Forget whatever new ride Alton Towers might launch in the post-pandemic era, there isn't a rollercoaster in the world will beat Latics 2020. We were relegation certainties at New Year, and are now one of the form teams in all four divisions. We were a well run – if not exactly profitable – club, and now we're in administration. We looked like we were doomed again with a 12-point deduction, then won so many games that we looked like we might coast it, and then conceded a last-minute goal and things are now no longer in our own hands. Off the field, things are looking increasingly positive, with more than one prospective bidder being able to show proof of funding to the administrator. There's even talk about a deal being done by the end of July. However, before we get too excited, there's absolutely no doubt those bidders are waiting to see what division we'll be in next season. In League One, our value will almost certainly drop. It makes us more attractive to buyers looking for a cheap way into owning a football club, but much less attractive to anyone looking for a way into having an eye on the ultimate prize of PL riches. So, as it stands, we need to beat Fulham tomorrow, and hope either Charlton or Hull get beaten. It's actually not as tall an order as it may seem. Charlton are away at Leeds who, thankfully, don't seem to have taken their foot off the gas just yet, and Luton are at home to Blackburn who, mentally, may well have already gone on holiday with nothing to play for. Knowing our luck, and with the way results have been going, both will storm to victory where even beating Fulham won't help. Regardless, you simply cannot fault the way the club and team have responded. Led from the front by a gladiator-esque Samy Morsy, putting eight past an admittedly woeful Hull outfit would be an outstanding result for any side. To do it with a team during administration, and where players don't even know if they will be paid or not, is nothing short of miraculous. So, whatever happens tomorrow, just know this club, and this team, refused to take their fate lying down. It would have been so much easier for the EFL and Stanley Choi if we'd just slipped quietly under the waves and down into League One. But we haven't. Instead, to a man, the club, players and fans have stood up and offered them all out, tops off if necessary. League One or Championship next season, it doesn't matter. What matters is we still have a club. I'm too old to be jumping on another bandwagon at my age, so I'll take Latics back in the Cheshire League, if that's what it comes to. Latics is a club like no other. We fans bicker constantly at each other, we hurl abuse at players and managers alike, we even threaten not to come any more at the slightest hint of adversity. And yet, here we are, still alive, still kicking, and still refusing to go away quietly. Come tomorrow night, be positive, be hopeful, but be realistic. Relegation isn't the end, it's just a more difficult new beginning.

Martin Holden: All over social media, there are discussions about the point deductions and how that might affect us at the end of the season. The permutations are helping to create some of the greatest mathematicians Wigan has ever seen while, at the same time, causing anger and frustration. My biggest concern however this week can be summed up in two words...PREFERRED BIDDER...the most crucial two words in the history of Wigan Athletic Football Club. The administrators are obliged to market the football club for 21 days once they entered administration and that takes us through to tomorrow, which is also the last (ever?) game at the DW Stadium. At that time, all the serious bidders should have played their cards and the admins can then select the one they want to move forward with as the best option. The best option will almost certainly be the one that puts forward the most £££ to conclude the deal. I am not sure what effect all the efforts of those close to the club will have in influencing that decision, as the admins are there to realise as much as they can for the creditors. It really is as simple or complicated as that. On the pitch, we are left with a farcical situation of the matches ending otomorrow, players celebrating and commiserating, but all the while knowing it could all change once the EFL decide to act – whenever that might be. Then the fun begins, as there will surely be legal challenges all over the place, not only for Latics, but also for the Sheffield Wednesday and Derby Country situations which have rumbled on and on. Football is in a right mess now but, with the EFL controlled by the member clubs, there is little incentive for them to change. The time has come now for this structure to be changed and a more robust form of governance to be installed instead . What that is, I have no idea, but something needs to happen. The Wigan players and staff have been magnificent since all this started, we cannot fault any of them, heroes to a man . But if ever we needed a man-of-the-match performance then David Philips QC needs to come up with it now, working alongside the Preferred Bidder, to ensure firstly we have a place in the Championship, but more importantly that we have a club at the end of it all. Strap yourselves in, we are in for a rough one.

Statto: Well this squad and management have earned the right to be mentioned with the 2005 promotion-winning team, the 2013 FA Cup-winning squad, and all the other successful sides in the club's history. Grit, determination, professionalism in the face of what's going on off the pitch has made me never more proud to be a Latics fan. That first half against Hull was nothing short of outstanding – a complete football performance. The kick in the teeth against Charlton we will take on the chin, and come back stronger against Fulham. We probably still won't know the final table come 9.30pm tomorrow, because the Championship and the EFL are a mess. We can't worry about that, let's just go out with a bang and see what happens after that.

Mike Goodman: I felt pig sick when Charlton scored that stoppage-time equaliser on Saturday, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one to feel that way. It goes to show that one slip in concentration can mean you end up being punished but, in fairness I felt Charlton did deserve a point, even if the referee seemed a 'little' favourable to the home side. The players have been nothing short of magnificent since this whole debacle started three weeks ago, and it's so cruel that the draw, and other results over the weekend, leaves us still fighting for survival. I think you could see just how desperate the players were to get three points and that nerves were kicking in a little which, given the magnitude of the game, you can completely understand. They say the table doesn't lie at the end of the season, and we thoroughly deserve to be sat in 13th place after what's been an incredible run of results, especially after going into administration. I was wrong earlier in the season to ask for a change in management, and gladly hold my hands up to admit I was wrong. Performances since the turn of the year have absolutely shown patience is key in football. What Paul Cook, Leam Richardson, Anthony Barry and co. have got out of the players in the second half of the season has been remarkable, and we've seen some fantastic performances. Regardless of what happens in the coming days, everyone who has played a part this season will undoubtedly go down in Wigan Athletic history, they've been amazing. It's an absolute disgrace that, come 9:30pm tomorrow night, the season will be finished on the field, yet several clubs will still be waiting on news of our appeal of the pending 12-point deduction, as well as the potential points deduction Sheffield Wednesday may receive for breaching FFP. Both matters should have been resolved before the season ends and viewed as a matter of urgency, especially given the fact Wednesday were charged by the EFL for their FFP breach back in NOVEMBER. I imagine that as soon as the final whistle blows tomorrow, the 12 points will be deducted from our total, and we'll shoot down the table. I pray we can get the three points against Fulham and results go our way to avoid finishing in the bottom three. I'm sure the EFL are hoping for that, too, because if we do end up in the bottom three, and then win our appeal against the points deduction, things could get very messy, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the EFL having one or two legal cases being brought against them for their role in all this. For the last time this season, though, it's been a phenomenal effort by all involved at the club, and since July 1, there's been so much go on which has made me even more proud to be a fan of this club. Players, staff and supporters have come together in a massive way and long may it continue. Up the 'Tics!

Sean Livesey: How's everyone's nerves? Shot? Yeah, mine too. In the nearly three weeks since we entered administration I think I've encountered every emotion possible and, following Saturday's last-minute equaliser for Charlton, I felt as deflated as I have throughout this. As the clock ticked to 90+2 we were four minutes away from picking up an absolutely vital three points that, if not mathematically confirming, would have gone a huge way towards confirming our Championship status for another season (dependent on still having a Wigan Athletic next season). As it was, a momentary lapse was enough to turn everything on its head again, leaving our destiny out of our hands. We should have known it wasn't going to be a straightforward weekend on Friday evening. As many of us joined a zoom call with the Supporters Club, we found out West Brom had fallen to defeat against Huddersfield. Meaning Huddersfield, who looked dead and buried a couple of weeks ago, were safe. And after Brentford surprisingly lost to Stoke on Saturday, Fulham would once again have a sniff of automatic promotion. Gee...how much worse could it get? Well, if we didn't get a draw in the Hull v Luton game, a lot more. Oh, and it did, cheers Kazenga LuaLua. So the permutations are simple for tomorrow night. Not as simple as we would have liked, but simple all the same. First and foremost, Paul Cook's side must win. Not an easy task when their opponents are a Fulham side who score for fun and still have a slight chance of automatic promotion. Elsewhere, Latics need either Luton or Charlton to drop points as well. By no means impossible. Unlikely, maybe. But Latics deal in the unlikely. The lads tired visibly in the second half against Charlton, and it was a backs-to-the-wall effort for a lot of the match. How many of those lads will be ready for one last push tomorrow evening? Will we see some changes that may disrupt the flow of the partnerships across the pitch but could add some much needed fresh legs? Will Kieffer Moore – such a big part of all of the side's great work since the resumption of the league even feature, with a bid from QPR having been accepted yesterday? Or will Joe Garner, who scored some crucial goals last season, get a chance to become the hero? There are so many variables to tomorrow night, and I literally have no idea how it will go. We've been written off so many times this season, but have bounced back each time. Be that being bottom of the league in January, going in to administration, or drawing with Charlton on Saturday...we're still in there fighting. We're not dead yet. Not by a long way. My heart tells me we've a chance, and all the amazing goodwill and energy generated to save the club over the last three weeks will get us over the finishing line. My head is slightly more pessimistic, but then it would be a very dull world if head ruled heart. Of course, survival in the Championship is only one part of the current strange world of Wigan Athletic. Survival of our football club trumps that and, if it meant we would have a club to support next season, I would be happily looking forward to trips to Portman Road, Bloomfield Road and the Stadium of Light. Whatever shape next season takes, and whenever I can go and watch my club, I just want to be in the Springfield Stand at 3pm on a Saturday, being able to watch a team play league football in the blue and white stripes. That has to be our overriding focus and, on that score, we got more information on Friday night, as the aforementioned Supporters Club hosted their 'Night In' event with Jonathan Jackson, Paul Stanley, the increasingly impressive Lisa Nandy, and a whole host of former players discussed what was happening, what had happened, and what the next few weeks may look like. Stanley, who has been more visible than Gerald Krasner of late, gave an important update and clarified a few things, while also offering hope for the future. We've got until tomorrow until the official marketing period is over with, and we should then have someone who would move to preferred bidder status. Wednesday could well be one of the biggest days in the history of Wigan Athletic and, although there are a lot of reasons to be down now, as Paul Cook quite rightly said on the pitch isn't one of the reasons. Let's put all our focus in to supporting Paul and the rest of the lads (remotely) and see where they can take us. They've been written off before, as have Wigan Athletic but that's never stopped us. If we channel the spirit of the FA Cup win over Manchester City, with the heart of the Sheffield United relegation decider, and the guile of the side that sent down West Ham, we've a real chance. It's going to be a difficult few weeks if not months, and we've a very real battle on for the future of Wigan Athletic. But let's put all that to one side and get ourselves up for tomorrow night. We may not be in the stadium, but we're with the lads in heart and soul.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-12th-man-we-fans-bicker-we-hurl-abuse-players-and-managers-we-even-threaten-not-come-any-moreand-yet-here-we-are-still-alive-still-kicking-still-refusing-go-away-quietly-2920299

WhiteJC

Fulham Travel to Wigan Athletic in Pivotal Final Day of Championship Fixtures

There is still all to play for in the Championship as the 2019/20 season enters its final chapter. Wigan Athletic host Fulham, with both sides still having plenty to play for.

Wigan Athletic Host Fulham in Final Round of Championship Fixtures
What is at Stake?

It is the visitors who are likely to have their outcome of the season settled on the night.

A win for Fulham would see them jump to 83 points. Before the start of play, that would see them leapfrog West Bromwich Albion and into second place.

However, Scott Parker's side will be waiting to see how results go elsewhere. Nonetheless, it is a must-win game for the Cottagers.

Wigan's fate is likely to be decided after the culmination of the season. The Latics will be docked -12 points for entering administration following the culmination of their game against the Cottagers. However, they are set to appeal. Should they lose their case, then they would be relegated to League One.

Form
Two of the Championship's most in-form teams are meeting at the DW Stadium, making for an even more exhilarating finale.

Since the announcement of their administration on July 1, Paul Cook's Wigan have lost just one of their last five games. An 8-0 win over Hull City marked an impressive turnaround in fortunes for the Latics.

Wigan have been in excellent form for much of 2020. They have lost just one of their last 14 games, and have lost just four games in the Championship since the turn of the year.

Fulham are also in a similar vein of form. Scott Parker's men have won five of their last six games, following back-to-back defeats following the enforced break.

Team News
Both managers will have a near fully-fit squad ahead of the clash at the DW Stadium.

Scott Parker will be without midfielder Harrison Reed following his sending off against Sheffield Wednesday at the weekend.

It is unclear whether Michael Jacobs will be fit for Wigan after missing their trip to Charlton Atheltic. He may undergo a late fitness test before kick-off.

Prediction
Expect a fast-paced, end-to-end game, with both sides still having plenty to play for. The first goal could prove vital for either side.

Wigan Atheltic 3-2 Fulham

https://lastwordonfootball.com/2020/07/22/championship-final-day-sees-wigan-athletic-host-fulham/

WhiteJC

A Latics Insight

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that come 9.30pm on Wednesday, Fulham are promoted to the Premier League and Wigan Athletic are relegated to League One, despite the Latics having one of the best records in the division this calendar year.

Ahead of what could be a high stakes encounter between the sides at the DW Stadium, we spoke to Latics fan Luke – better known on Twitter as George Weah's Cousin – to get an insider's take on what it's been like for the club over the last few tumultuous weeks.

The news of a 12-point deduction seemed to come out of the blue, so we can only imagine how Wigan fans are feeling about the whole thing?

It was a real shock. To come back from lockdown, win three games on the spin without conceding a goal, and then be thrown into administration the next day was something nobody saw coming. Right now we're all still in shock as we try and figure out what exactly has gone on. As the administrators themselves said, it was a totally unnecessary act that should never have been allowed to happen.

It must be all the more frustrating after you appeared to have moved comfortably clear of relegation after some great form in 2020?

Pretty much since New Year's Day we've been brilliant. Earlier in the season we conceded a lot of late goals which was frustrating, we've dropped more points from winning positions than any other side, so we all knew we were better than our league position. It's very frustrating that it could still end up with us being relegated.

The character shown from the squad in recent games must be commended, though?

To a man they've been fantastic, they're on 20 per cent pay and yet none of them have taken their ball home or dropped a level. Like Fulham, we're a community club, and it's great to see the players buy into that, especially with none of them being local lads.

The Hull match was a pretty good example of that – what did you make of that game?

From the first minute you could tell it was going to be our day. We had two corners and two shots on target, including a goal, in the first 90 seconds. Their heads appeared to drop and for the next 45 minutes we were totally faultless. Being 7-0 up at half-time was truly surreal!

What do you think the immediate future looks like for Wigan Athletic?

We'd love to stay up, but the main hope and priority for the fans is having a club to support going forward. The administrators seem optimistic that a buyer will be found, so for now we just have to stay positive and hope for the best. It'd be nice to get the club back into the hands of people who care about the town and football.

There's always been plenty of respect between our sets of fans, so it's been nice to see some of the Fulham faithful contributing to the Wigan supporters' club's crowd funder...

We've always had a good relationship. I'm London based these days, but Wigan fans always look forward to a trip down to the Cottage, and it's great to see the support we've received from Fulham, which wasn't something we necessarily expected.

Do you think you can stay up?

We've had a habit of defying the odds; our trio of FA Cup wins over Manchester City, reaching the Premier League and Europe, so we'll always have the belief. It's disappointing for it not to be in our own hands, but the belief is there.

How do you see Wednesday's game going?

I'm expecting a fairly nervy affair given what's on the line, we've not rotated the squad much since lockdown and our players did look a bit tired on Saturday. That being said, we haven't conceded a goal at the DW for seven games now and we don't fear anyone, as shown by our wins over Leeds and West Brom.

What score prediction are you going for, and who do you see going down/up?

I'm going to be optimistic and predict a 1-0 win for Wigan, with Charlton going down alongside Hull and Barnsley. At the other end of the table, I can't see past a West Brom win against QPR, and then a Play-Off Final between Fulham and Brentford which could go either way!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/july/22/latics-insight

WhiteJC

The Championship: All to play for in tense climax

Given how last season ended, Leeds United fans might have been forgiven for thinking that they would have needed something from the final day of this campaign's Championship season to go up.

But with two games to spare, they ended an often tumultuous 16-year wait for a return to the promised land of the Premier League.

Marcelo Bielsa's side also do that as champions after the win over Derby County at the weekend confirmed that no side will usurp their place at the top of the division.

But there is plenty to play for below Leeds on today's final day of the coronavirus-affected season.

Automatic Promotion

With Leeds having secured the first automatic promotion place, attention turns to the battle for second position, current occupied by West Brom.

Despite Republic of Ireland Under-21 defender Dara O'Shea's recent contribution to the goals department, the Baggies have stuttered in the last three matches with two draws and a defeat seeing them slip into Leeds' rearview mirrors and almost into the clutches of the chasing Brentford and Fulham.

But thanks to Brentford's untimely defeat to Stoke off the back of an excellent run, West Brom know a home win over Queens Park Rangers will definitely secure second place and automatic promotion.

A West Brom slip-up would open the door for both Brentford and - in the case of a Baggies defeat given the goal difference factor -  even Fulham, with the two chasers facing Barnsley (H) and Wigan (A) respectively today.

Brentford have the best goal difference in the Championship, so even if they only draw against Barnsley, the Bees would go up if West Brom were to lose. However, a Fulham win in that exact scenario would see the Cottagers improbably leapfrog both clubs above them and into second place.

In terms of Irish interest, the aforementioned O'Shea is a promising player, while Callum Robinson is also on loan at West Brom until the end of the season.

Over at Fulham, two Irish internationals currently ply their trade at Craven Cottage in the shape of Harry Arter (on loan from Bournemouth) and Cyrus Christie.

And Brentford have former Ireland Under-21 cap and one-club man Kevin O'Connor on their staff as assistant first-team coach.

Play-off Picture

Depending on what happens in the games involving West Brom, Brentford and Fulham, there will be a knock-on effect on the play-off picture.

As things stand, Brentford and Fulham go into today's final day in the two leading play-off places with Nottingham Forest and Cardiff City occupying the two final spots.

Of teams below the top six, only Swansea City can mathematically get into the play-offs. They have to beat Reading away and hope Cardiff City lose to Hull City at home.

A defeat for Forest, who host Stoke, coupled with a huge goal difference swing in favour of Swansea, along with a Cardiff draw or win, would see the former European Cup winners slip out of the top six with the Welsh clubs taking advantage.

For the moment, Forest have a goal difference advantage of five over Swansea, knowing that a point will be enough to keep their hopes of following Leeds' achievement of ending a long Premier League absence alive.

If there are no changes of position after today's action, Cardiff would face Brentford in the play-off semi-finals and it would be Nottingham Forest against Fulham.

When it comes to Irish representation, Galway native and Ireland senior cap Greg Cunningham is on Cardiff's books, although he has not made any appearances for the club this season due to injury and also spent the first part of the season on loan at Blackburn Rovers.

Relegation... and Point Deductions

Further down in the lower reaches of the Championship, points deductions could impact the final placings regardless of how today's fixtures pan out.

As things stand heading into today's matches, no team has yet been automatically relegated which leaves for a fascinating afternoon.

Wigan, who are 10 points clear of the relegation zone, will have a 12-point deduction for entering administration applied after the Fulham game which makes a victory for the Latics imperative if they are to survive - an appeal notwithstanding.

A loss to Fulham coupled with the sanction would definitely relegate the club pending appeal, but a victory would mathematically keep Wigan out of the bottom three depending on the results of the four current lowest placed teams.

Sheffield Wednesday will also be nervously awaiting a decision on their own fate. The Owls are currently eight points above the relegation zone (10 with Wigan's deduction), but await an English Football League verdict on a misconduct charge over the sale of Hillsborough Stadium with a points deduction possible.

Depending on the scale of the potential points sanction if applied - ranging anywhere from nine or 12 to a maximum of 21 points - coupled with an adverse final day result at home to Middlesbrough, who are not yet safe themselves, Wednesday could be dragged into the bottom three.

Even Derby County, five points higher up the table than Wednesday, could end up being affected depending on the outcome of their own disciplinary case.

Points deduction possibilities aside, every team below Stoke could go down mathematically on paper, although Huddersfield's goal difference advantage is sizable and a point at Millwall would definitely ensure survival.

Meanwhile, if Middlesbrough and Birmingham City beat Sheffield Wednesday (A) and Derby County (H) respectively, the two clubs at the centre of separate cases, then safety is assured on the pitch.

Barnsley must beat Brentford to avoid the drop without the reprieve of off-field considerations and similarly Hull City cannot afford anything but victory at Cardiff.

The margin for error for Luton, who are in the bottom three at present, and Charlton is not as stark as for the two sides below them but in the latter's case, victory would ensure safety.

What's clear is the final day will be dramatic with even more intrigue potentially at play off the field.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0721/1154665-the-championship-all-to-play-for-on-the-final-day/

WhiteJC

Wigan Athletic supporters launch petition to trigger parliamentary debate

Wigan Athletic supporters have launched an online petition to try to trigger a parliamentary debate around the EFL's owners' and directors' test.

The petition, supported by the town's MP Lisa Nandy, has been set up before a significant day in club history.

Early on Wednesday, administrators will give an update on their attempts to find a buyer for the stricken club.

Then at 19:30 BST, Wigan host Fulham looking for a win to avoid relegation to League One.

Paul Cook's side need a victory at the DW Stadium - and for other results to go their way - to be certain of staying up even with a 12-point penalty imposed for going into administration. Wigan are appealing against that penalty, with the hearing set for 31 July.

The fans behind the petition argue that the EFL owners' and directors' test failed to protect Wigan, who were put into administration on 1 July, weeks after a change of ownership.

The EFL passed the change in ownership, a point that is likely to be used as a central component of Wigan's appeal against their points deduction.

Au Yeung Wai Kay, who heads Wigan's new owner Next Leader Fund, claims it had "invested more than £40m" in the club and blamed the coronavirus pandemic for the decision to put them into administration.

The EFL owners' and directors' test measures whether owners meet standards greater than those required by law in order to protect football's reputation and image. But the petition wants the government to consider introducing such a test in law.

The petition states: "The recent news that Wigan Athletic was being put into administration just weeks after new owners were approved by the EFL must lead to a review of the effectiveness of the owners' and directors' test and its use by the EFL.

"At present, the test does not seem to be fit for purpose to protect football clubs in the future. If English football isn't able to act, the government should review the need for a statutory owners' and directors' test to ensure it is fit for purpose and protects clubs in the future."

Wigan's fans need to generate 10,000 signatures to force the government to respond to their petition and 100,000 to stand a chance of a parliamentary debate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53494057

WhiteJC

Championship: The relegation battle that could be decided by lawyers

Sheffield Wednesday's Barry Bannan, Wigan's Kiefer Moore and Derby's Wayne Rooney

Another memorable 46-game Championship campaign reaches its conclusion on Wednesday, with 11 of the 12 games having something riding on them.

And while West Brom, Brentford and Fulham battle to join Leeds in the Premier League, it looks like lawyers will have an impact on relegation.

Hull, Barnsley and Luton are the bottom three, but Charlton, Middlesbrough and Birmingham are still not safe.

And above them, Wigan, Sheffield Wednesday and Derby are at risk of points deductions that could directly affect the lower half of the table.

On Monday, the English Football League (EFL) released a statement that tried to clarify the situation.

It has now become certain that long after the final whistle is blown on Wednesday, it will still not be known which clubs are going down.

Wigan
The one club the EFL did mention in Monday's statement was the Latics. It has now been confirmed - in line with regulations - Wigan will incur a 12-point deduction at the end of the season for entering administration. The sanction only comes into force after the campaign is over because, had Wigan finished in the bottom three anyway, it would be carried over to 2020-21.

This would move Wigan from 13th to 22nd, above Barnsley on goal difference. It would mean Luton are out of the bottom three and Birmingham and Middlesbrough are safe.

However, as the EFL made clear, this sanction is "subject to appeal", which is due to take place on 31 July, and Wigan have appointed leading barrister, David Phillips QC.

The Latics were placed in administration on 1 July, just weeks after the club changed Hong Kong-based owners. The argument is no-one - neither at Wigan nor the EFL - could have known what Au Yeung Wai Kay was going to do and therefore the punishment should be withdrawn.

If Wigan win their final game against Fulham and avoid finishing in the bottom three, even with a 12-point deduction, they could withdraw their appeal. However, if they remain in the relegation zone, the appeal will continue - and if they are successful, it would relegate whoever finishes fourth from bottom.

Sheffield Wednesday
On 14 November, Sheffield Wednesday were charged with misconduct by the EFL over the £60m sale of their Hillsborough stadium to owner Dejphon Chansiri. Without the sale, Wednesday would have made a pre-tax loss of £35.4m for the 2017-18 financial year.

The charges relate to "how and when" it was sold, and its inclusion in the 2018 accounts when it was sold a year later. Wednesday denied they had done anything wrong and vowed to defend themselves vigorously.

Wednesday's hearing in front of an independent panel was held in June. Though expected last week, a verdict is still to be announced.

If Wednesday are unsuccessful, punishments range from a financial penalty to a points deduction, which could be as high as 21. Depending whether Wigan's 12-point penalty is taken from their current total, Wednesday are either eight or 10 points above the relegation zone. They have a better goal difference than Luton, but a worse one than Wigan.

However, as with Wigan, either party would have 14 days to appeal against any decision, with a hearing required within 21 days. It effectively means the case could run for a further five weeks after a verdict is announced.

The actual end of the season from an administrative standpoint is the EFL annual general meeting, which is due to be held in the middle of August.

It means there is now no guarantee the sanction could be applied this season, even if Wednesday were deducted points.

Derby County
In January, Derby County were also charged with breaching spending rules. This also related to the sale of their stadium, Pride Park, to their owner, Mel Morris. As with Wednesday, Derby denied wrongdoing and said they were in contact with the EFL throughout the process.

It is understood the Rams' hearing began on 13 July. They are 13 or 15 points above the relegation zone depending upon whether Wigan's sanction is applied. They have a better goal difference than Luton but a worse one than Wigan.

EFL
As the EFL explained in its statement, the disciplinary cases around Sheffield Wednesday and Derby are being dealt with by an independent panel. Insiders accept the unsatisfactory nature of the situation but it is being stressed the cases must be heard "expeditiously and fairly".

Without knowing when the verdicts will be released, it is impossible to know what the speed and status of any appeals will be. Without that, even after Wednesday's final fixtures, no-one knows who is safe and who is relegated.

One other thing
It is not only in the Championship the EFL has a problem. On 3 July, the organisation appealed against the two-point penalty imposed on League Two side Macclesfield by an independent panel for failing to pay wages on time.

Macclesfield avoided relegation to the National League by less than one point on the points-per-game method, with Stevenage due to go down instead.

On 14 July, Macclesfield said they had been told a hearing would almost certainly not take place until the beginning of August.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53484188

WhiteJC

Championship final day: Promotion, play-offs and relegation still to be decided

"The prize is not that somebody's going to clap you or you're going to get a standing ovation. The prize is the Premier League."

That was West Bromwich Albion manager Slaven Bilic summing up Wednesday's crucial final round of Championship matches.

After 45 games and almost 12 months of a season interrupted by the coronavirus pandemic, almost everything in English football's second tier is still to be decided.

Who will finish second and claim the huge financial rewards of a place in the top flight? Who will grab the final couple of play-off places? And who will drop down into League One?

The fight for second

West Brom, Brentford and Fulham are fighting for one automatic promotion place

Leeds have already wrapped up the title and a place in the top flight for the first time since 2004.

Beneath them, there is an almighty fight between West Brom, Brentford and Fulham for that second automatic promotion place. Last season, it was estimated that promotion could result in a £170m increase in revenue.

The Baggies have had a rollercoaster ride since league fixtures resumed on 20 June. They were six points clear of third-placed Fulham and 10 ahead of fourth-placed Brentford when the season was put on hold because of the pandemic.

It looked like they had blown their chances of going up after losing at Huddersfield Town on Friday, but Brentford's amazing run of eight successive wins was halted at Stoke a day later to leave West Brom one point clear with a game to go, and Fulham only two points off second spot.

"The Championship is hard anyway," said Bilic, who is hoping to take Albion back to the top flight after two seasons in the second tier.

"This season is longer than ever and we should be proud of what we have done so far. Now is the time to finish it off, we've got to do it."

Can BMW drive Brentford?
Two sides from the capital, separated by just a few miles, are also hoping they can make it to the promised land.

Third-placed Brentford have played some of the best football of any side this season and, in their 'BMW' front three of Said Benrahma, Bryan Mbuemo and Ollie Watkins, they have an attacking force that would cause many a Premier League defence problems.

The three of them alone have combined for 57 of Brentford's 79 league goals - more than eight teams have scored all season.

"One more big game on Wednesday against Barnsley," said boss Thomas Frank after their loss at Stoke on Saturday.

"I promise you we're ready to fight and play and run on Wednesday night."

But five miles east along the north bank of the River Thames, Fulham can still have a say.

Having lost to Brentford and then Leeds in their first two games back after the resumption, it looked like Scott Parker's men had lost their chance.

But a run of six wins and a draw from their past seven matches has given the former England midfielder hope his side can take one more step.

"We had two negative results coming out of lockdown, but since then my team have been very good at grinding out results," said Parker.

"There are times we've been 10 to 13 points adrift. We've had to fight and battle with pressure that comes with that and the outside voices. We've not got the credit we deserve at times. To take this season, and the teams above us, like Brentford and West Brom who are fantastic teams, to the wire is fantastic."

Trio in the play-off hunt

The race for the final play-off places is also quite intriguing.

Two of West Brom, Fulham and Brentford are guaranteed to be in the play-offs, but the other two spots are still up for grabs between Nottingham Forest, Cardiff City and Swansea City.

"What I don't want is anything interfering with our performance and us winning our game," Swansea boss Steve Cooper told BBC Wales before his side's trip to Reading, which they must win to stand any chance of finishing in the top six.

"We've got to go and play well, be confident, be clinical in both boxes and do whatever it takes win any football match.

"We can't influence what happens elsewhere anyway, but if there's something that we need to know and we're in a position where we need to know I'm sure we'll get that info."

Battle to avoid the drop

Hull City dropped to the bottom after Saturday's home defeat by Luton

If the promotion and play-off races are tight, then the relegation battle is even more dramatic.

Of course, much depends on Wigan's appeal against a 12-point deduction for going into administration. That sanction will be applied after their game at the DW Stadium, so they go into their home match against Fulham unofficially occupying the final relegation place.

But their form has been excellent, losing only one of their past 14 games and thrashing Hull 8-0 in their most recent home fixture. That sequence has seen them earn a chance to survive and their positive goal difference could be the difference between staying up or going down on Wednesday.

"We could win the game and still it might not be enough and that's the real disappointment because these players don't deserve that," manager Paul Cook said after Saturday's draw with Charlton.

"I've got to pat them on the back for everything they've done for the people at the club, the town, and everyone who was made redundant that's for sure."

Cook added: "We always have a strong record at the DW Stadium. It's an absolute shame that the supporters will not be in the stadium, but we know where they are, we know they'll be sitting at home and we'll be getting all their support and their energy that will see us get over the line."

Wigan would drop into the relegation zone with a 12-point deduction

Meanwhile, Hull boss Grant McCann says his side need "a miracle" if they are to stay in the second tier.

Having been a point off the play-off places after winning 1-0 at Sheffield Wednesday on New Year's Day, the Tigers have won just one more league game since and are bottom of the table.

They travel to a Cardiff City side who need a point to secure a play-off place, but Hull have not scored in more than 300 minutes of action.

"We've been really, really poor in every single performance," McCann told BBC Radio Humberside.

"There's been probably only a handful of performances where I've been pleased, although we didn't get a result, but we've just been disappointing.

"But we still have a chance mathematically and going to Cardiff on Wednesday we'll see and we'll try to put a performance in."

'This is how we earn our money'
One place above the Tigers are Barnsley, who ended a four-game winless run on Sunday with a 1-0 victory over play-off-chasing Forest. It gives them an outside chance of survival, albeit they still need to beat Brentford at Griffin Park.

"Both teams have a lot of pressure, but especially Brentford, they can go directly to the Premier League so I think they have a lot of pressure," the Tykes' Austrian boss Gerhard Struber told BBC Radio Sheffield.

"But my energy and thoughts aren't so much on Brentford, they're on my team and we are working on a very good plan at the moment.

"It's a big task, but I like big tasks and challenges on this level."

Could Luton - fourth-from-bottom when factoring in Wigan's points deduction - be the ones to survive?

A 1-0 win at Hull City on Saturday gave them a significant boost, and a record of one loss in their past 11 games has seen the Hatters move outside of the provisional relegation places.

They host a mid-table Blackburn Rovers side and know that three points would be good enough to stay up.

"What a wonderful finish to the season," manager Nathan Jones told BBC Three Counties Radio.

"There's nothing that can prepare you for being a manager - and I've done every course under the sun, and coaching badges and stuff - and it's brilliant through the week but this is the nitty-gritty.

"I sat down with both Paul (Hart, assistant manager) and Mick (Harford, chief recruitment officer) just after half-time and I said 'this is how we earn our money', not the Monday to Friday, it's those decisions you make in the heat of the battle."

So who can make the right decisions in that battle - decisions that could have long-lasting ramifications for clubs at both ends of the table?

We will find out on Wednesday as one of the most exciting Championship seasons finally comes to an end.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53485035

WhiteJC

Will West Brom blow it? Which Welsh side will seal the final play-off spot? And which three from FIVE teams will end the evening in League One? It's all to play for on the Championship's final day

Leeds secured their place in the Premier League after 16 years away last week
    West Brom, Brentford and Fulham are all in a race for the second promotion spot
    Swansea and Cardiff are both in the hunt for final Championship play-off place 
    Hull are all but relegated but who could join them in League One next season?

Leeds United have already secured their return to the Premier League after 16 years away but there is plenty more fun and games to come in the Championship.

The final round of fixtures arrive tonight and there is still a lot to be decided.

Undoubtedly the most exciting tussle is for second place and who will follow Leeds straight up to the Premier League.

But along with that, the play-offs still need to take shape as do the final relegation places. Here, Sportsmail has a look at how the final day of the Championship could play out.

Leeds United secured their place back in the Premier League after 16 years away last week

Slaven Bilic's West Brom are in prime position to follow Leeds back up to the top flight

Who will follow Leeds up to the Premier League automatically?

Before the football season was suspended this seemed like a foregone conclusion. West Brom were in prime position to finish in second if not challenge Leeds for the Championship title.

But how different the situation started to look when the season resumed. An astonishing run of form by Brentford, seven wins on the bounce, allowed them to close the gap on West Brom whose performances and results had dropped off.

West Brom will be guaranteed to be automatically promoted if they beat QPR at home

Fast-forward to last Thursday night and Huddersfield's unlikely win over West Brom offered Brentford an advantage they failed to take by losing at Stoke on Saturday.

Enter Fulham. Scott Parker said in his press conference last Friday that he was preparing for the play-offs. There was simply no way, he thought, that Brentford would slip up against Stoke. But they did and Fulham's 5-3 win over Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday closed the gap to second to two points.

Fulham boss Scott Parker, as recent as Friday, said he was only making plans for the play-offs

Aleksandar Mitrovic scored twice in Fulham's 5-3 win over Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday

There can be no doubt that West Brom, by proxy, remain favourites to go up in second place.

Their last game of the season is against QPR at The Hawthorns, a fixture that perhaps provides the least amount of resistance than those Brentford and Fulham are involved in.

It is quite simple: West Brom win and they are up with Brentford and Fulham having to navigate their way through the play-offs to secure the third and last lucrative ticket into the big time for this year.

Should West Brom draw, though, Brentford would need to beat Barnsley, who pulled off a superb victory over Nottingham Forest on Sunday, to leapfrog them into second.

Brentford's Josh Dasilva was one of a number of players who failed to find the net against Stoke

The defeat away at Stoke took automatic promotion out of the hands of Thomas Frank's side

Another way Brentford could overtake West Brom would be if the Baggies lose at home to QPR and the Bees draw against Barnsley. Brentford have a nine-goal better goal difference than West Brom.

But we wouldn't in this position if the Championship behaved logically.

Parker has said it will be 'amazing' should Fulham do the unthinkable and finish Wednesday evening in second and back in the Premier League after relegation last season.

For that to happen a number of things must go their way. Firstly, and the only outcome they can control, is to win away at Wigan. Without that they will finish in the play-offs, plain and simple.

But if they win, West Brom lose (Fulham would be on level points with the Baggies if they draw against QPR but Slaven Bilic's side have a much better goal difference and Parker would need to hope his players can score well over 10 goals without return to come close to making a difference), and Brentford drop points then Fulham would finish in second place.

Beyond West Brom beating QPR, though, which if Charlie Austin and his attacking colleagues can perform better than they did at Huddersfield, it really is quite bonkers to contemplate what could possibly happen.

Charlie Austin, in tears on Friday, will be expected to deliver against QPR on Wednesday night

Which Welsh side will secure the last play-off spot?
So, we know the top two play-off spots are already taken. The last two are still very much up for grabs with Nottingham Forest, Cardiff and Swansea all in a battle for them.

Forest, in fifth, are in the most commanding position – on 70 points, level with sixth-placed Cardiff but with a four-goal better goal difference. Swansea, in seventh, are three points back but just one goal worse off than their Welsh rivals.

Forest play Stoke at the City Ground, Cardiff host Hull and Swansea travel to Reading.

Cardiff have the advantage over Welsh rivals Swansea for the last Championship play-off spot

Cardiff have the advantage over Welsh rivals Swansea going into the Championship final day

A win or a draw for both Forest and Cardiff would leave things essentially as they are unless, of course, Cardiff cut through Hull as easily as Wigan did last week, which would see both swap places due to goal difference. A win or draw for both would see them into the play-offs with Swansea unable to do anything about it.

Realistically, even if Forest do lose, it is unlikely Swansea will score enough goals against Reading to topple them. So, Swansea's best bet is to hope Cardiff slip up with the sides separated by three points but only a single strike in the goal difference column.

Swansea boss Steve Cooper knows his side must win and hope that Cardiff slip up against Hull

Hull have one foot in League One but who will join them?
What do you get if your owners get too comfortable and decide to sell their two best players in January? Easy. You get Hull City. How far and how quickly they have fallen to be bottom of the Championship, 90 minutes away from playing in the third tier of English football for the first time since 2005.

Nothing short of a mathematical miracle will save them. Other than Hull, the situation is far from simple. Directly above Hull are Barnsley. Even if they beat Brentford they could still be down should results go against them.

Luton are in the final relegation place but on level points – 48 – with Charlton who are ahead of them.

Luton's victory over Hull at the weekend has given them a huge chance of avoiding the drop

Grant McCann's Hull start the final day of the Championship season at the bottom of the table

Hull are all but relegated and only a mathematical miracle can save them from the drop

Luton host Blackburn while Charlton travel to Leeds. Charlton are only out of the bottom three because of their far superior goal difference – 18 better than Luton's.

You also have to throw into the mix Birmingham and Middlesbrough who are both on 50 points. They'd surely be safe with draws but anything less and either one could be clawed back.

Huddersfield mathematically could still be caught but it would take something quite disastrous on their part for that to happen.   

Indeed, this is all without the prospect of Wigan being handed a 12-point deduction, which Sportsmail understands shouldn't affect them until next season given their ability to appeal the penalty.

Lee Bowyer's Charlton are in a tough position and face Leeds in their last game of the season

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8544387/Will-West-Brom-blow-follow-Hull-play-Championship.html

WhiteJC

Leicester, Brighton, Fulham Handed Boost In Pursuit Of Queens Park Rangers Dazzler

Three English clubs have been handed a boost in their pursuit of Bright Osayi-Samuel after discovering that the Nigerian-born winger has put the brakes on a proposed move to Belgian champions Club Brugge.

Football Insider says the Queens Park Rangers dazzler's transfer to Club Brugge has collapsed amid interest from Leicester City, Brighton & Hove and Fulham.

The Hoops gave the green light to Osayi-Samuel to travel to Belgium to undergo a medical but the Nigerian opted against heading to Bruges.

The 22-year-old is expected to be named in Queens Park Rangers' matchday squad in their final match of the 2019-2020 season at West Brom this evening, and will make a decision on his future at the end of the season.

Osayi-Samuel was left out of Rangers squad against Millwall on Saturday because a transfer to Club Brugge was on the cards.

He won two accolades at QPR's end of season awards; the Kiyan Prince Goal of the Season for his brilliant strike against Birmingham City and Daphne Biggs Supporters' Young Player of the Year award, which he retained having won it last season.

Igho Kingsley

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=36819

WhiteJC

Reasons for Brentford fans to believe QPR can do them a favour

So. Tonight's the night.

Brentford must do their bit against Barnsley and hope QPR do them a favour at West Brom.

Now, there are so many reasons for Bees fans not to be optimistic about the chances of Rangers getting a point or more at The Hawthorns.

QPR are atrocious defensively, have nothing to play for, a history of rolling over in games like this, have been playing without a striker, have lost several players since the season resumed – most recently Bright Osayi-Samuel – and a set-piece against them is as good as a goal.

In fact, you might say that West Brom couldn't have chosen better opponents for them. And you might have a point.

But come on. There ARE some reasons for Brentford – and of course Fulham – fans to be hopeful. Honestly.

The pressure is on West Brom

It's a cliche, but it's true. Albion are under immense pressure – and we know from their recent results that they can slip up in big games.

Rangers on the other hand can play with a freedom that might just give rise to a decent performance tonight. It's not an absolute certainty that they just won't turn up. Not an absolute, total, complete and utter certainty by any means.

QPR have some good players

Rangers have been mostly terrible since the restart and have lost players along the way. But they've still got some talent. Ebere Eze, obviously, as well as the likes of Ilias Chair. Let's not pretend there's nothing for Albion to worry about.

Rangers looked good against Millwall

We've all seen the many subtitled versions of the scene from Downfall, where Hitler reacts angrily to the Nazis' impending defeat/Liverpool's title win/Sheffield Wednesday's latest loss/Lincoln selling their striker and so on. There are hundreds of them.

There could probably be a version made for the West Brom scout reporting back to HQ after attending QPR's game against Millwall on Saturday.

Yes, they were shocking at the back, but the feedback on Rangers going forward will definitely not have been what a stressed Slaven Bilic wanted or expected to hear at this stage.

Rangers looked pretty tasty at times and seemed to rediscover the verve which saw them flirt with the play-off places prior to their recent dreadful, truly dreadful, performances.

Those Albion jitters

QPR's strikeforce, or lack of one, might just be the worst thing Albion could encounter on such a nervy night for them.

It's by no means a certainty that Rangers will fail to register a single effort on goal until Jack Clarke drags a shot well wide in injury time. Not a certainty at all.

Either Rangers have Jordan Hugill back and a presence up front they've lacked, or they don't – and the second scenario might not be great for Albion either.

Centre-backs generally hate having to deal with players who drift around and pick up different positions. They like to go up against a proper striker.

And if you're nervous and frightened of making a mistake, perhaps the very last thing you want is an Eze or Chair buzzing around you, waiting to pounce on any miscontrol or bad decision.

The always enthusiastic Olamide Shodipo refusing to leave you alone is also something you could do without while trying not to make an error.

The shop window

While there's little at stake for QPR as a team, for some of their players it's a final chance this season to catch the eye and secure their future at the club or a move to bigger things. The game being televised adds to that.

Incidentally, there is no need for any Bees fan to research QPR's record in televised games. You don't need to know that information. Seriously. Don't.

Rivalry? What rivalry?

Notice that among the reasons I gave for Brentford fans to be downbeat about needing their neighbours to do them a favour, there was no mention of any local rivalry. And I just said neighbours, not rivals.

Bees fans might not usually like this – but may just be comforted by it right now – and some QPR supporters, particularly the younger generation, might disagree, but for many Rangers fans Brentford are just not considered a rival. Sorry.

Until relatively recently, the clubs have mostly been separated by at least two divisions and many QPR fans grew up with derbies against Chelsea being a staple. That's just how it is.

It's partly why Brentford tend to play Rangers off the park. That and the fact they're miles better than them.

So fear not, Bees fans. Those neighbours you're always slagging off might yet surprise you with the football equivalent of lending you some sugar.

And for those who didn't heed my advice about looking up QPR's record in televised matches, I've got two words of comfort for you at this difficult time: Dennis Bailey.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/brentford-qpr-west-brom-favour-promotion-220720

WhiteJC

Championship prize money: How much do Leeds, West Brom, Brentford, Fulham earn?
The Championship season comes to a conclusion tonight - but how much prize money is involved?

The final day of the Championship has arrived but there is still plenty to play for. Leeds have already the title and a place in the Premier League for the first time since 2004.

But beneath them there is a huge battle for the second automatic promotion spot.

West Brom, Brentford and Fulham are all in the running, with just two points separating the sides.

The Baggies host QPR on the final day, while Brentford entertain Barnsley and Fulham travel to Wigan.

"The prize is not that somebody's going to clap you or you're going to get a standing ovation. The prize is the Premier League," said West Brom boss Slaven Bilic.

While one of the trio will secure automatic promotion, the other two will enter the play-offs.

But the other two spots are still up for grabs between Nottingham Forest, Cardiff and Swansea.

Forest host Stoke on the final day, with Cardiff facing Hull and Swansea going to Reading.

The Championship relegation battle is also a tight affair.

Much of it could depend on Wigan's appeal against a 12-point deduction for going into administration.

The sanction will be applied handed out after tonight's matches, so Wigan head into their final game against Fulham unofficially in the relegation zone.

Hull are currently bottom of the Championship, with Barnsley, Luton and Charlton also at risk of the drop.

Championship clubs chosen to host games are awarded £100,000 per match, with Sunday fixtures worth £120,000 and Thursday games earning £140,000.

Clubs playing away from home for those television fixtures receive a fixed fee of £10,000.

As for prize money, each Championship side receives the same fixed Basic Award and Solidarity Payment.

These sums come as part of an agreement between the EFL and the Premier League.

The Basic Award stands at £2.3m and the Solidarity Payment is £4.5m.

Money paid out in the Championship pales in comparison to the Premier League.

Last season, each top-flight club received an Equal Share payment of £34m, £43m in International TV rights and £5m in Central Commercial revenue.

Premier League teams also earn a Merit Payment based on their finishing position.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1312742/championship-prize-money-2020-leeds-west-brom-brentford-fulham

WhiteJC

Villarreal make big-money offer for Fulham midfielder Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa

Fulham are considering Villarreal's big-money offer for Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa following an impressive loan spell with the LaLiga club, the PA news agency understands.

The 24-year-old made a deadline-day switch from Marseille to Craven Cottage in August 2018 but struggled to make an impact as the west London club were relegated from the Premier League.

Anguissa, who still has three years left on his Fulham contract, was shipped out on a season-long loan to Villarreal last July and the midfielder looked back to his best in Spain.

Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid have been linked with the impressive Cameroon international, who the Yellow Submarine are attempting to keep at the Estadio de la Ceramica.

Villarreal had the option of making the transfer permanent at the end of the season as part of their loan agreement. Fulham are understood to be considering an offer in the region of 25 million euros (£22.2million) that suggest the clause has not been triggered.

Scott Parker's side are fourth in the Sky Bet Championship and two points off the final automatic promotion spot ahead of Wednesday's season finale at Wigan.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/villarreal-make-big-money-offer-for-fulham-midfielder-andre-frank-zambo-anguissa-1595342614000

WhiteJC

How to watch Leeds, Brentford, Fulham and more: follow the Championship final day wherever you are in the world

How to follow all the action from the second-tier, as the curtain falls on another dramatic Championship campaign

Get a Championship final day live stream: Sky Sports and iFollow 7.30pm BST

It's the final game of another dramatic Championship season and there is still so much to play for. West Brom, Brentford and Fulham are scrapping it out to join champions Leeds in the Premier League next season, while as many as eight teams can still be relegated.

READ The Championship final day: what still needs to be resolved?

Kick-off for every game is at 7.30pm BST and the games are being shown on Sky Sports and iFollow in the UK, you can also watch every goal, as it happens, on Sky Sports News. See below for watching details where you are.

WATCH THIS GAME Get a Now TV Sky Sports pass week here

SEE THE FULL SCHEDULE Premier League live streams: How to watch every game on this weekend

Sky Sports will be showing the following matches (get your Sky pass here), plus every goal from every game, as it happens:

Brentford vs Barnsley
West Brom vs QPR

iFollow will show the following games (watch here):

Wigan Athletic vs Fulham
Luton vs Blackburn Rovers
Sheffield Wednesday vs Middlesbrough
Reading vs Swansea
Leeds vs Charlton
Cardiff vs Hull City
Millwall vs Huddersfield
Bristol City vs Preston North End
Nottingham Forest vs Stoke
Birmingham vs Derby
How to watch a Championship live stream in the UK

Sky Sports and BT Sport are the two main players once again, but iFollow is your best bet if these two aren't showing them.

If you don't want to commit to a monthly contract, then NOW TV are currently offering up their Sky Sports Monthly Pass for just £9.99 (usual price £16.99) – it'll get you access to all of their Premier League and Football League offerings, including this game. Hurry, though: this offer ends at 23:59 BST on September 30.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/how-to-watch-leeds-brentford-fulham-and-more-follow-the-championship-final-day-wherever-you-are-in-the-world

WhiteJC

Sky Sports pundit issues promotion prediction involving West Brom, Brentford and Fulham

The race for promotion into the Premier League reaches a conclusion on Wednesday evening, with three teams all battling it out for second-spot in the Championship.

West Brom are currently sat second in the table heading into the final match of the season, and they'll be hoping they can achieve promotion themselves with a win over QPR at The Hawthorns.

But if Slaven Bilic's side are to slip up in the race for promotion, then one side that are likely to be push them all the way for second-spot is Brentford.

The Bees are just a point adrift of the Baggies, and will fancy their chances of keeping the pressure on them and potentially forcing themselves into the top-two with a win over relegation-threatened Barnsley in the final match at Griffin Park.

Fulham are another team that are in contention to challenge for automatic promotion after a late run of impressive results, but will be relying on results from elsewhere if they're to finish in the top-two places, with Scott Parker's side two points adrift of West Brom in the table heading into their match against Wigan Athletic.

Sky Sports' EFL pundit David Prutton issued his thoughts ahead of the final day of the season, and labelled Brentford's recent slip-up as a let-off for West Brom, who dropped points against Huddersfield Town.

"What a let-off that was for West Brom. After slipping up at Huddersfield, they would have been fearing the worst, but then Brentford struggled under the pressure of it all the very next day at Stoke. It was an incredible weekend of drama."

Prutton went on to admit that he expects the Baggies to win automatic promotion with a positive result against Mark Warburton's QPR side.

"Pressure will play a big part again on Wednesday night, but West Brom could barely have handpicked a better fixture to finish their season. It really is the time where you would always rather be playing against a side with nothing to play for.

"Fulham will be hoping both slip up so they can sneak through the door, but I think West Brom and Brentford will both win – sealing promotion for the Baggies."

The Verdict:

I've got to stick to my guns and say West Brom will be promoted automatically.

Slaven Bilic's side have shown their quality at times this season, but haven't quite been at their best since competitive action got back under way.

They should have automatic promotion already wrapped up, and it could be a season-defining blow if they were to miss out on the top-two in the final match of the season.

Brentford have got a winnable match against relegation-threatened Barnsley at Griffin Park, and they'll be sure to keep the pressure on the Baggies right up until the full-time whistle.

But I think Slaven Bilic's men will come out on top against QPR, which will be enough to see them make a timely return to the Premier League.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/sky-sports-pundit-issues-promotion-prediction-involving-west-brom-brentford-and-fulham/

WhiteJC

'I think West Brom will be joining Leeds' – We predict what will happen as WBA, Brentford and Fulham eye second: The verdict

This article is part of Football League World's 'The Verdict' series, which provides personal opinions from the FLW writers regarding the latest breaking news, teams, players, managers, potential signings and more...

The 2019/20 Sky Bet Championship season finishes this evening, and amazingly, three clubs can still claim the second automatic promotion spot.

West Brom are in the driving seat and know a win will secure them second spot, but Brentford and Fulham are following closely and could leapfrog the Baggies if results go their way.

One thing is for certain though, the pressure is on Slaven Bilic's side to get the result.

So, who will get that second spot tonight?

The team here at FLW predict.....

George Dagless

West Brom.

They've been thrown a lifeline after Brentford couldn't beat Stoke and I think that will reset them in terms of their focus and they'll get it done.

They're against a QPR side who you wouldn't rule out from winning but, at the same time, the Hoops don't have anything to play for.

Brentford and Fulham are playing Barnsley and Wigan respectively, both of those sides are fighting for their lives and will be tough to beat.

For me, West Brom get this done this evening.

Alfie Burns

West Brom, they'll take their second chance.

Slaven Bilic and his men must have thought the chance had gone in the dressing room at the John Smith's Stadium on Friday night and the 12 hours ahead of Brentford's defeat to Stoke will have been gutting for them.

So, for that reason, I'm expecting to see the Baggies use that emotion to get the win required to get them over the line.

Second chances like this are rare and the Baggies can't let it pass them by.

Jacob Potter

I've got to stick to my guns and say West Brom will be promoted automatically.

Slaven Bilic's side have shown their quality at times this season, but haven't quite been at their best since competitive action got back under way.

They should have automatic promotion already wrapped up, and it could be a season-defining blow if they were to miss out on the top-two in the final match of the season.

They take on a QPR side that have nothing to play for though, and haven't looked good at all since returning to action.

However, they did pick up a surprising win against Millwall at the weekend, and will be eager to spoil the promotion party at The Hawthorns on Wednesday evening.

Brentford have got a winnable match against relegation-threatened Barnsley at Griffin Park, and they'll be sure to keep the pressure on the Baggies right up until the full-time whistle.

But I think Slaven Bilic's men will come out on top against QPR, which will be enough to see them make a timely return to the Premier League.

Ned Holmes

This is a tough one.

Prior to the restart I earmarked Brentford to make a late surge and claim the second automatic promotion spot but I think their chance may have come and gone on the weekend.

The Baggies haven't been in the best form in recent weeks but you feel the defeat to Huddersfield Town may shock them into action.

They handed the impetus to the Bees on the weekend and it's difficult to see them slipping up again with promotion now back in their hands.

West Brom need win against QPR at the Hawthorns and I think they're going to get it done.

Brentford will likely pick up all three points as well but it will be too little, too late for Thomas Frank's side.

George Harbey

I think West Brom will be joining Leeds United in the Premier League next season.

The Baggies have been really inconsistent since the season's restart and have been nowhere near their best, and they have come up against teams who have a lot to play for.

QPR, however, don't have anything to play for and have been on a poor run of form of late, and with a big three points needed, I think that Albion should face no problems in picking up a win tonight.

I don't think Brentford are nailed on to beat Barnsley, either. The Tykes are fighting for their lives at the bottom end of the table and have real character and belief in their squad, as shown in their late 1-0 victory over Nottingham Forest at the weekend.

Fulham will find it tough away at Wigan, too, but I don't think Brentford's or Fulham's results will matter, as I think Albion will ease past QPR.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/i-think-west-brom-will-be-joining-leeds-we-predict-what-will-happen-as-wba-brentford-and-fulham-eye-second-the-verdict/

WhiteJC

Brentford and Fulham chase £170m promotion pot as Championship season reaches climax

Brentford and Fulham are eyeing a £170million jackpot tonight, when the race for automatic promotion will be settled on the final day of the Championship season.

Going into the last round of an extraordinary campaign which has lasted 11 months, West Brom occupy second and will join Leeds in the Premier League if they beat QPR at home.

But should Albion slip up, then either Brentford or Fulham can leapfrog them on what is sure to be a dramatic night when relegation and play-off places will also be decided.

Third-place Brentford, a point behind West Brom, host Barnsley in what could prove to be their final game at Griffin Park. Their fate is out of their hands after their eight-game winning run came to an end with a 1-0 defeat by Stoke on Saturday and they are hoping for a favour from local rivals QPR.

Fulham, a further point back in fourth, visit crisis club Wigan and must hope Brentford fail to win and West Brom lose. Whoever misses out will have to settle for the play-offs.

Promotion is worth a minimum of £170m to the three clubs that come up. Teams next year are set to earn about £100m in television money and will bank £70m in parachute payments if they go straight back down next season. Avoid relegation but then go down and clubs then receive three years of parachute payments, instead of two, which adds a further £15m.

Few Brentford fans are expecting a favour from QPR, who sit 14th with nothing to play for and have lost five of their eight matches since the season restarted. However, Rangers manager Mark Warburton spent four years at Griffin Park as coach, sporting director and then manager, and Bees boss Thomas Frank has faith that he will help his former club.

"That would be a nice story, of course, a nice touch," said Frank. "I am 100 per cent sure they want to do everything to win that game. They are footballers, Mark is a football manager. All we want to do is win football matches. That does not change if you are first or last or in the middle of the league.

"We can talk about motivation and pressure, but I know, I have seen too many times, that when players cross that line, they want to do everything. They are playing live on Sky — I do not think they want to lose 5-0 live on Sky."

At the other end of the table, Charlton will stay up if they beat Leeds but the relegation battle is set to drag on long after the season ends tonight.

The EFL have admitted the relegation picture may not be clarified until August 4 because of outstanding disciplinary cases regarding Wigan, Sheffield Wednesday and Derby.

The three clubs are facing points deductions and their fate rests on the outcome of three independent hearings, none of which are expected before games kick off tonight. Barnsley co-chairman Paul Conway has said his club would consider legal action if they are relegated and the outstanding disciplinary cases are not completed. Other clubs could also do the same and there are fears that lawyers, not players, could decide the drop.

Wigan, 10 points above the relegation zone, face a 12-point deduction after going into administration. The points will be deducted once the season is over but they have appealed the punishment.

Sheffield Wednesday, eight points clear of the bottom three, and Derby, 13 points above the relegation zone, have already appeared before a panel in relation to alleged financial breaches and could also be docked points.

Charlton start the night outside the bottom three on goal difference.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/brentford-fulham-170m-promotion-pot-premier-league-a4505541.html

WhiteJC

EFL: Zero positive coronavirus tests in latest round of testing

There were no positive tests from the Championship, League One and League Two

The EFL has confirmed there have been no positive coronavirus tests from the latest round of testing.

A total of 3,555 players and club staff were tested over the past week from the Championship, League One and League Two.

In the Championship, 3,136 people were tested from 24 clubs, there were 381 tests in League One and in League Two, 38 people were tested.

Last week, there were two positive results from 3,141 tests after a fortnight of negative tests at the start of July.

EFL said in a statement: "The EFL will continue to make a central announcement of COVID-19 test results every Wednesday at midday to continue to support competition integrity and transparency.

"No specific details as to Clubs or individuals will be provided by the League."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/12033870/efl-zero-positive-coronavirus-tests-in-latest-round-of-testing

WhiteJC

talkSPORT producer & QPR fan makes bizarre prediction as WBA race Brentford for promotion

It is a three-horse race in the Championship for the second automatic promotion spot as West Brom, Brentford and Fulham all have a chance.

The Baggies welcome QPR to the Hawthorns on Wednesday, with Brentford set to face Barnsley at Griffin Park.

Fulham still have a slim chance of leapfrogging both of those and go to Wigan, who could still need a win to secure their survival.

In a bizarre turn of events, talkSPORT producer and QPR fan, @TheOnlyGSK on Twitter, has admitted that he hopes his own side is crushed by the Baggies.

"West Brom absolutely tank us," he said.

"I do not care how many you beat us by, I'll take a 7-1 again – I want Bilic to sub himself on and score the winner at the end.

"I want Charlie Austin, I want him to dive for a penalty and then score a panenka. I really, really, all jokes aside, our rivals are riding on us and our performance tonight and I'm desperate for QPR to lose tonight."

The prediction was made solely because if QPR do beat West Brom and Brentford go onto win against Barnsley, it would be them who have handed their nearest rivals promotion to the Premier League.

Wanting your own team to lose, though? We're not sure about that.

West Brom will know that all they need to do is better the results of both the Bees and Fulham to seal second spot.

Slaven Bilic will be desperate for his side to take all three points though, and make sure that they don't need to rely on results elsewhere once again in the Championship.

Mark Warburton has already confirmed he will be fielding his strongest side in order to collect three points though, much to the disappointment of West Brom, but also to this particular Hoops fan.

https://www.westbromnews.co.uk/2020/07/22/talksport-producer-qpr-fan-makes-bizarre-prediction-as-wba-race-brentford-for-promotion/

WhiteJC

Fulham won't get full transfer fee if they offload expensive mistake – Club has 'percentage of next sale'

If there was one deal that took everyone by surprise in France back during the summer of 2018, it was Fulham's decision to spend just over £22m on Marseille's André Zambo Anguissa.

The now 24-year-old was good, but there were doubts whether he was fully ready for such a move, which were blasted with a spotlight when he was unable to fully showcase his skills at Craven Cottage in a rather disastrous season for the club.

Relegated back to the Championship, Fulham then had to offload him temporarily as they sought to return to the elite, loaning him to Villarreal for the season, where he has done well.

Since then, rumours that the La Liga side were interested in making the move permanent have circled, and Marseille could benefit from it.

According to Le Phocéen, the Ligue 1 side 'included a percentage of the next sale' in their deal with Fulham for the defensive midfielder, meaning some of the money the club make from any future transfer will go directly in the French team's coffers.

This stemmed from Andoni Zubizarreta, the director of football at the time, truly believing in the player's potential and not wanting to miss out on money down the line.

It's not said what the percentage is, but either way, Fulham will have to take that into account if they do decide to accept a bid for the Cameroon international.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-wont-get-full-transfer-fee-offload-expensive-mistake-club-percentage-next-sale/

WhiteJC

The three key matches which Wigan Athletic fans need to look out for tonight

Here's how the final day at the bottom of the table looks

It's a huge night of action in the Championship with matters at the bottom of the table still yet to be decided.

A total of seven clubs at the foot of the second tier are still facing the prospect of playing League One football next season.

Huddersfield Town are not yet mathematically safe, but are unlikely to be playing in the third tier next season thanks to being three points above the drop zone and with a vastly superior goal difference.

Birmingham City and Middlesbrough are both on 50 points and are not yet safe, but victories for both this evening will confirm their Championship status.

Charlton Athletic and Luton Town are both on 48 points, with the Hatters currently in the drop zone on goal difference.

Barnsley are on 46 points while Hull City are the Championship's basement club on 45 points.

But Wigan Athletic will have 12 points deducted from their tally due to entering administration at the start of this month.

And the Latics know that only a victory this evening against Fulham will give them a chance of avoiding relegation to League One.

With matters at the bottom of the Championship so tight going into the final round of action this evening, here are three games in particular which will have a big say on the relegation battle and which teams will be playing in League One next season.

Wigan Athletic v Fulham
A glance at the Championship table shows the Latics comfortably in midtable ahead of a game which, in normal circumstances would have very little riding on it for the DW Stadium outfit.

But due to the club entering a shock administration at the start of July, Wigan are in a fight to preserve their Championship status.

The Latics know that only a victory against Fulham will do this evening as they fight to stay in the division, despite the deduction coming their way.

They will also need results involving Charlton and Luton to go their way.

But they face a Cottagers side in the play-offs who still have the chance of earning automatic promotion back to the Premier League.

Fulham are fourth going into the game, a point behind Brentford and two behind second-placed West Bromwich Albion.

A Cottagers victory over Wigan at the DW Stadium this evening, combined with defeats for Brentford and West Brom against Barnsley and QPR respectively, will see Scott Parker's men clinch automatic promotion back to the top flight along with Leeds United.

Defeat for West Brom and a draw for Brentford combined with a Fulham win would also be enough for Craven Cottage outfit to finish second.

Leeds United v Charlton Athletic
Leeds United will end the season as champions and get their hands on the Championship trophy this evening after their match against Charlton.

Marcelo Bielsa has led the Whites back to the Premier League for the first time in 16 years after the Elland Road outfit suffered relegation in 2004.

They have just one match left to go in their 2019/20 Championship campaign before departing for the Premier League.

And they face an Addicks side fighting to retain their second tier status.

Lee Bowyer's men are outside the relegation zone heading into the match on goal difference and have everything still to play for.

The Whites meanwhile now have nothing to play for after their promotion to the Premier League and status as Championship winners was confirmed, and they have little riding on the fixture based on the table.

On paper, Charlton face the toughest test of those sides seeking to stay in the Championship, taking on a Leeds side which have six wins in their last seven games.

But they could be aided by the fact Leeds have nothing to play for and may take their foot off their pedal compared to if the Whites still had something to play for.

Luton Town v Blackburn Rovers
Another key game at the bottom of the table will be taking place at Kenilworth Road.

Luton are unbeaten in their last four matches but sit in the drop zone ahead of kick-off against Blackburn on goal difference alone.

They have the same points as Charlton, but a vastly inferior goal difference compared to the Valley outfit.

Like Charlton, they will be targeting a victory this evening and hope that the Addicks are not able to secure three points against Leeds.

They take on a Rovers side sitting 10th in the table before the game and have no chance of getting in the play-offs and Tony Mowbray's men essentially have nothing to play for except for how high up the Championship they finish this season.

Like the situation at Elland Road, Luton could be helped by taking on a side which has little riding on the game.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/championship-relegation-wigan-luton-charlton-18643309