more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff - 28/07/20...

Started by WhiteJC, July 23, 2020, 01:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Full Time: Fulham Lead 2-0 After First Leg

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

n this episode, Emilo and Russ shared their initial reactions to Fulham taking a 2-0 lead after the first leg in the play-off semi- final against Cardiff City.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2020/7/27/21340999/cottage-talk-full-time-fulham-lead-2-0-after-first-leg

WhiteJC

Scott Parker: 'Fulham worthy of two-goal lead in playoff semi-final'

Scott Parker said Fulham are determined to finish the job after seizing a 2-0 first-leg lead over Cardiff in their Sky Bet Championship play-off semi-final.

Superb strikes from Josh Onomah and Neeskens Kebano put Fulham in a commanding position ahead of the return game at Craven Cottage on Thursday.

"Overall it was a good performance," said Fulham head coach Parker. "We weathered the storm early on and got a foothold in the game. I think we're well worthy of the two-goal lead at this stage.

"We worked our socks off and our foundation was built on concrete, but it will be another huge battle on Thursday.

"This is only halfway through and we'll stand up to the challenge."

Kebano's free-kick in stoppage time sparked huge celebrations on the Fulham bench.

Cardiff manager Neil Harris suggested the celebrations were excessive – "it looked like they had won the tie" he told Sky – but Parker rejected that claim with 90 minutes to come in west London.

"Neil has said a lot over the last week and few weeks, I just see a group of players," said Parker, who lost 26-goal top scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic before kick-off with a slight hamstring injury.

"I didn't see anything that was over the top, I just see a professional team that understood that there is only half of this tie done.

"The players were pleased, and rightly so, to score two away from home, but at the end of the game I see a real professionalism from us."

Cardiff counterpart Harris described the second Fulham goal as a "right kick in the nuts", but insisted the Bluebirds are not out of the tie.

"The first 25 minutes we were excellent, but we have to take one of our chances then and get on top," Harris said.

"After the drinks break Fulham were better, but at half-time we were relatively happy. Second half, we never really got going.

"They pressed much better and made it more difficult to build attacks."

Harris was unhappy with the award of the late free-kick, which Kebano curled home to double Fulham's advantage.

But he said Cardiff had shown their resilience enough times this season, including when they fought back from a three-goal deficit to draw 3-3 away to champions Leeds in December, to ensure that the tie was not over.

"The first goal (on Thursday) is going to be vital," Harris said. "If Fulham get it then it's going be really difficult for us.

"Fulham are huge favourites now but we are capable, with the players and the camaraderie we've got, of scoring goals.

"We are capable of clawing this back. We have the right character and mentality."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/cardiff-city/championship-promotion-race/news/scott-parker-fulham-worthy-of-two-goal-lead-in-playoff-semi-final_408180.html

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Scott Parker insists 'only half the tie done' after first leg win

Neeskens Kebano scored in second half stoppage time to seal Fulham's win

Scott Parker brushed aside Neil Harris' suggestion that Fulham celebrated their play-off semi-final first leg win at Cardiff City as if they were already at Wembley.

Bluebirds manager Harris felt Fulham went too far after their 2-0 win at the Cardiff City Stadium.

But opposite number Parker was surprised by Harris' view.

"Neil's obviously said a lot over the last week and few weeks," said the Fulham boss.

"I didn't see anything that was over the top. Certainly at the end of the game I just see a professional team that understood there's only half this tie done to be honest with you.

"Regarding the goals and the celebrations, yeah of course I see players who were pleased, and rightly so, to score two goals away from home.

"I think at the end of the game I see a real professionalism about us. We understand this is only halfway through this tie and we know there will be a challenge on Thursday. We will brace ourselves for that.

"If Neil felt like that, I don't really know why."

Having weathered an early Cardiff storm, Fulham took control of the second Championship play-off semi-final thanks to memorable second-half goals from Josh Onomah and Neeskens Kabano.

Harris, who had insisted in the build-up to the game that the pressure was on Fulham, felt the visitors over-celebrated after what was an impressive performance.

"We have to dust ourselves down and go again on Thursday," Harris told Sky Sports.

"I said to the players that the play-off finals I've made, we've been losing and we're at half-time and we're losing the game.

"Fulham are celebrating like they've won the tie. We have to go to Craven Cottage and we have to be positive and that first goal is going to be key in that game."

No team has ever come back from a two-goal first-leg deficit to win a Championship play-off tie, but Harris insisted his team are not finished yet.

He pointed to the fact that, in June, Northampton lost 2-0 to Cheltenham in the home leg of their League Two play-off semi-final, recovered to win the away leg 3-0 and went on to gain promotion.

"It's an uphill battle now, but we have been written off time and time again this season and come back," he added.

"Fulham are now huge favourites, but they have everything to lose and we have everything to gain.

"There was a 2-0 deficit in the League Two play-offs. That does not mean it will happen for us but ultimately we need to be positive."

The second leg takes place at Craven Cottage on Thursday, while Swansea City take a 1-0 lead to Brentford in the other semi-final on Wednesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53562505

WhiteJC

Scott Parker defends Fulham celebrations in Play-off win vs Cardiff after Neil Harris criticism

Scott Parker has hit back at Cardiff City manager Neil Harris after he accused Fulham's players of "celebrating like they'd won the tie" after a 2-0 win in the Championship Play-off semi-final first leg.

Two wonderful goals from Josh Onomah and Neeskens Kebano have put Parker's side in the driving seat ahead of the second leg at Craven Cottage on Thursday night.

The goals were celebrated wildly in South Wales, something which didn't sit well with Harris, who had tried to pile the pressure on Fulham before the first leg.

Parker, however, insists his side know the task ahead is still a difficult one.

"Neil has said a lot over the last week and few weeks," Parker said.

"I just see a group of players. I didn't see anything that was over the top, I just see a professional team that understood that there is only half of this tie done.

"Regarding the goals and the celebrations, of course, they were pleased and rightly so to score two away from home but at the end of the game I see a real professionalism from us.

"We understand the job that is to be done here, this is only halfway through this tie and we know there will be a challenge coming on Thursday. [If] Neil felt like that then I don't know why but that is it from my point."

Fulham managed the win without golden boot winner Aleksandar Mitrovic, who missed the game following a slight hamstring problem, though Parker is hopeful he will be back for the second leg.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-scott-parker-defends-celebrations-play-off-win-vs-cardiff-neil-harris-criticism-a4509986.html

WhiteJC

'Poch destroyed his confidence': Some Spurs fans laud 23-year-old's display yesterday

Tottenham fans on Twitter raved about Josh Onomah's goal for Fulham yesterday during their 2-0 win against Cardiff in the Championship play-off semi-final first leg encounter.

Early in the second half, Onomah, with his back to goal, made a mazy run inside the penalty area, beating a couple of players before putting the ball into the back of the net.

The 23-year-old moved to Craven Cottage from Spurs last summer and he will be hoping to make a return to England's top-flight in these coming weeks.

His side have a good chance of making that return because if they can avoid defeat in the second leg then they are into the play-off finals at Wembley – and Fulham are well aware of what it takes to win at the home of football.

Onomah was a highly-regarded player at Tottenham, but it just didn't work out for the player in North London.

During his time at the club, he tried to break into the senior side, but to no avail. He was sent out on-loan on a number of occasions to the likes of Aston Villa and Sheffield Wednesday, but he didn't exactly pull up trees.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/07/28/poch-destroyed-his-confidence-some-spurs-fans-laud-23-year-olds-display-yesterday/

WhiteJC

Classy finishes put Fulham in pole position for play-off final
Championship play-off semi-final, first leg: Cardiff City 0-2 Fulham

Wonderful goals from Josh Onomah and Neeskens Kebano gave Fulham a 2-0 win at Cardiff City in the first leg of their Championship play-off semi-final last night.

The London side, managed by former Chelsea midfielder Scott Parker, were relegated from the Premier League last season, and will look to complete the job in the return leg at Craven Cottage on Thursday to earn a place in the final at Wembley.

Onomah collected the ball on the edge of the box with his back to goal and sharply turned before jinking past two Cardiff defenders and calmly slotting home in the 49th minute.

Fulham, who had Ireland international Cyrus Christie playing at right-back, then grabbed firm control of the tie in stoppage time when Kebano superbly curled a free-kick from the edge of the box into the top corner.

In the other semi-final, Swansea City will defend a 1-0 lead at Brentford heading into their second-leg tomorrow night.

"Second half we came out sharp. After the first 10 minutes we knew we were going to score, and thankfully I got the goal," Onomah said afterwards.

"Credit to Cardiff, once I scored I think that lifted our spirits and I think that gave us a bit of composure then.

"We believe we can go all the way. Morale is high and we just have to keep going until the next game on Thursday. We just have to keep thinking about the next game and getting the win there to take us through to the final."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/classy-finishes-put-fulham-in-pole-position-for-play-off-final-39403127.html

WhiteJC

Josh Onomah feels right at home as Fulham take giant stride towards Wembley play-off final

Scott Parker hailed Josh Onomah's resilience after the midfielder played a starring role as Fulham put one foot in the Championship play-off final in Cardiff on Monday night.

Onomah's delightful opener, clipped past goalkeeper Alex Smithies after a weaving run through the penalty box, ensured Fulham did not miss the presence of Championship Golden Boot winner, Aleksander Mitrovic, who was absent with a hamstring problem.

Parker, who worked with Onomah during his time as a coach in the Tottenham academy, brought the midfielder to Craven Cottage at the start of this season and has been delighted with his recent upturn in form. Tuesday's solo effort was his third goal since the restart and came before Neeskens Kebano's late free-kick gave the Cottagers a two-goal cushion to take back to the capital.

Onomah suffered a sluggish start to the season before a knee operation stunted him further in February, however, with lockdown allowing him the chance to get back to fitness, he has now settled at Fulham.

"He has scored some big goals," said Parker. "Josh is a young player who needed an arm around him, needed developing. He has had a few who recognised his talent like I did, I had him as a baby. I often say to players, when you are developing players a lot of it is a mentality as well."

After breaking through at Tottenham, Onomah was sent out on loan to Aston Villa and Sheffield Wednesday before Ryan Sessegnon's move to north London saw the midfielder go the other way on a permanent deal.

"He needed a bit of love and a home," said the Fulham boss. "I feel like he feels like this is his home. Sometimes you have loans and you do not really feel that it is your home. When he has needed an arm around him, which he did early on... and I keep going on about that in terms of how he struggled. Because it is that struggle is why he is here now.

"It makes me so happy for him, I am so proud of him in that sense. He really deserves what he has done. Because he could have folded at times to be honest. But he stood up and I know he will become even better than what we are seeing."

Fulham are firmly in the driving seat ahead of Thursday's second leg at Craven Cottage, when Parker hopes to welcome back Mitrovic.

Cardiff boss Neil Harris, who had spent the build-up to the first leg tagging Fulham as favourites, hit out at Parker's side, accusing them of over celebrating "as if they'd won the tie". Parker, however, insisted his players won't rest on their laurels despite a 2-0 advantage.

"Neil has said a lot over the last week and few weeks," said Parker. "I didn't see anything that was over the top, I just see a professional team that understood that there is only half of this tie done.

"Regarding the goals and the celebrations, of course, they were pleased and rightly so to score two away from home but at the end of the game I see a real professionalism from us. We understand the job that is to be done here. If Neil felt like that then I don't know why but that is it from my point."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/josh-onomah-fulham-giant-stride-wembley-playoff-final-a4510076.html

WhiteJC

Fulham take control of play-off semi-final with 2-0 win at Cardiff City

Cardiff City manager Neil Harris admits his side's failure to take their chances proved costly their Championship play-off semi-final first leg.

The Bluebirds lost 2-0 to Fulham on Monday after strikes from Josh Onomah and Neeskens Kebano put the Londoners in a commanding position ahead of the return game at Craven Cottage on Thursday.

There appeared to be no danger to Cardiff four minutes after the restart with Onomah 18 yards out and his back to goal.

But the former Tottenham midfielder turned Marlon Pack and rounded both Sean Morrison and Curtis Nelson before slotting past goalkeeper Alex Smithies.

It was no more than Fulham deserved as Scott Parker's men underlined their reputation as the best passing side in the Championship and Cardiff - who finished one place and eight points worse off than the visitors in the regular season - struggled to lay a glove on them.

Fulham were weakened by the absence of Aleksandar Mitrovic, the Championship's top scorer, and Parker explained pre-match that he had to make a "calculated decision" to keep the 26-goal Serbia international in contention for the rest of the play-offs.

Cardiff were unchanged from the side that secured a play-off spot by beating Hull - a third successive victory that meant the Bluebirds were the form team heading into the play-offs.

Manager Neil Harris would also have been buoyed by his play-off record as a manager: two appearances and two finals during his time at Millwall.

It was a lively start from both sides, but Cardiff carried the greater attacking intent in what was an open contest.

Leandro Bacuna's swerving shot proved too hot for Marek Rodak to handle, but the Fulham goalkeeper was saved by brilliant defending from Michael Hector.

Robert Glatzel looked as if he would prod in the rebound, but Hector got there first with an outstretched leg and somehow managed to scoop the ball away in the same movement.

Glatzel would hit the target twice in the first half, but the German's efforts lacked the power to ruffle Rodak.

Fulham slowly settled into their rhythm and Cardiff switched off at the far post to leave Onomah unmarked from Kebano's cross.

But Smithies came to Cardiff's rescue by flying off his line and spreading himself to save.

There was another escape for Cardiff in first-half stoppage time when Tom Cairney found space 20 yards out and shaved a post with a curled effort.

Fulham started the second half as they finished the first and, buoyed by Onomah's marvellous solo effort, went close again when Decordova-Reid rifled just over from 20 yards.

Bluebirds boss Harris responded with a triple substitution at the second drinks break in an attempt to prevent being completely overrun.

Danny Ward, Josh Murphy and Will Vaulks were sent on and Cardiff responded to fashion a golden chance before Morrison's control let him down.

That was to prove costly as Morrison body-checked Cairney and Kebano curled home the resulting free-kick from 20 yards, handing Fulham a significant advantage before the return leg at Craven Cottage on Thursday.

Cardiff boss Harris described the second Fulham goal as a "right kick in the nuts", but insisted the Bluebirds are not out of the tie.

"The first 25 minutes we were excellent, but we have to take one of our chances then and get on top," Harris said.

"After the drinks break Fulham were better, but at half-time we were relatively happy. Second half, we never really got going.

"They pressed much better and made it more difficult to build attacks."

Harris was unhappy with the award of the late free-kick, which Kebano curled home to double Fulham's advantage.

But he said Cardiff had shown their resilience enough times this season, including when they fought back from a three-goal deficit to draw 3-3 away to champions Leeds in December, to ensure that the tie was not over.

"The first goal (on Thursday) is going to be vital," Harris said. "If Fulham get it then it's going be really difficult for us."

"Fulham are huge favourites now but we are capable, with the players and the camaraderie we've got, of scoring goals."

"We are capable of clawing this back. We have the right character and mentality."

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2020-07-28/fulham-take-control-of-play-off-semi-final-with-2-0-win-at-cardiff-city