watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 25/07/20...

Started by WhiteJC, July 25, 2020, 08:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

'I'm backing Fulham,' 'I'll go with Cardiff' – We predict who will win the Championship play-offs: The verdict

This article is part of Football League World's 'The Verdict' series, which provides personal opinions from the FLW writers regarding the latest breaking news, teams, players, managers, potential signings and more...

The four teams in the Sky Bet Championship play-offs have now been confirmed with Brentford, Fulham, Cardiff and Swansea all set to battle it out.

The semi-finals kick off this weekend as Swansea play host to Brentford on Sunday evening, whilst Cardiff play Fulham at the Cardiff City Stadium on Monday night.

So, who is going to win the play-offs this season in the second tier?

The team here at FLW offer up their predictions.....

George Harbey

First of all, I just can't see it being Brentford. They have crumbled in their last two games, and you have to wonder how much that run of eight wins on the spin has taken out of them both physically and mentally, and it will take a lot to bounce back now.

Fulham certainly have the players and the experience to do well in the play-offs – it's essentially the same group of players that helped them go up in 2017/18, and the likes of Tom Cairney, Kevin McDonald and Aleksandar Mitrovic will be so key in helping them achieve their goals, but Cardiff are a tough team to beat.

You can't forget about Swansea, either. They will be full of confidence and belief after clawing a top-six place away from Nottingham Forest, and they will play with freedom and energy after thinking their play-off dreams had diminished.

I think whoever wins out of Fulham and Cardiff, though, will go on to win at Wembley. Something just says to me that they will be hard to beat and have the players who can produce that bit of quality out of nowhere, and whilst Brentford are an exceptional team to watch, I just think it'll take some picking up after missing out after automatic promotion.

I'll go with Cardiff.

George Dagless

I'm backing Fulham.

Brentford have been the form team since the start of the restart but two losses in their last two games has shown what pressure can do to them.

I think we're going to see experience tell here, and Fulham are the side that have most recently been through the play-off mill.

Cardiff obviously won promotion but that was via the top two and it takes a certain mentality to get through the next three games and deal with the pressure.

I just think Fulham's experience will tell here and they're also coming into the games on a decent unbeaten run so I'll go for them – but all four have cases to make it.

Ned Holmes

For me, it'll be the winner of the Swansea City v Brentford play-off semi-final.

Despite their recent wobble, Brentford have been fantastic since the restart and are in my eyes the best side in the play-offs.

If they can get back to winning ways against the Swans I think they'll beat either Fulham or Cardiff City in the final.

I can't say I've been wholly convinced by the Bluebirds and Fulham's hopes look to lie on whether Mitrovic can grab hold of the play-offs by the scruff of the neck.

We've seen so many times before that sides that sneak into the play-offs late often do well and I think Swansea could be a dark horse here.

Steve Cooper has got his side firing at the right time and I think if they get past the Bees, they'll go all the way.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/im-backing-fulham-ill-go-with-cardiff-we-predict-who-will-win-the-championship-play-offs-the-verdict/

WhiteJC

Get ready for Cardiff City v Swansea City at Wembley - how Bluebirds will squeeze past Fulham and Swans beat Brentford on penalties

Our star columnist Nathan Blake gazes into his crystal ball to predict the outcome of the Championship play-offs

What a crazy end to the Championship season - and what a mouthwatering few days we have in store with Cardiff City versus Fulham and Swansea against Brentford in the play-offs.

Wow, the prospect of a Bluebirds versus Swans Wembley final is suddenly very real.

I have a sneaky feeling it will actually happen too - the two Welsh arch-rivals locking horns at the home of English football for a place in the Premier League.

What odds would you have been given on that during lockdown, let alone the start of the season?

In fact, what odds before kick-off on Wednesday night, would you have got for the Nottingham implosion that suddenly let Swansea in through the back door at the last minute.

Crazy, crazy, crazy how everything has turned out, but I'm anticipating another gigantic twist which enthralls us with that Welsh shootout at Wembley.

How do I see the two semi-finals going?

I think if Fulham could have handpicked opponents out of the three other sides in the play-offs, they'd have actually chosen Cardiff.

Why? Because they know they have a good record against us, only one Bluebirds triumph in 11 games, comfortably won the recent encounter 2-0 and know they are better at playing football.

Brentford, on their day, can thrash any team in the division; Swansea have always had the reputation of being a good footballing side.

Fulham might not have fancied those, but will feel they have the edge on Cardiff in that department.

But, of course, that doesn't mean they'll win. No way.

I've watched lots of these Cardiff v Fulham games down the years, in the Championship and the Premier League, and I feel pretty much every time we approach it wrongly.

Under Neil Warnock we'd go man for man and Fulham's clever rotation would drag the Cardiff defenders around the pitch, leaving gaps for others to exploit. Under Neil Harris more recently I felt we were trying to play them at their own footballing game - and they're better at that than we are.

So don't make those mistakes again, whether at Cardiff City Stadium in the first leg on Monday or in the Craven Cottage return next Thursday.

Cardiff need pack the midfield, defend deep and utilise the blinding pace of Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Josh Murphy on the counter. Keep it tight, deny space - then hit Fulham on the break. That's the way to beat them. Let's see what they're made of then.

Yes Fulham have an abundance of talent in their side. Mitrovic up top, Cairney and Arter in the midfield, Knockaert and Reid out wide. They're a top side at this level.

But they don't have the speed demons Harris possesses in his Cardiff armoury and they'll be extremely wary of that.

Mendez-Laing can give defenders a four to five yards start and still beat them over 30. Same with Murphy.

Cardiff need to sit back, have their dogs of war win the ball back in midfield when they have lost possession, and keep feeding those wingers on the break. Get Lee Tomlin and Robert Glatzel, who'll be further advanced anyway, in the danger areas to back them up.

Don't go toe to toe. Instead, adopt a cautious, conservative game and then use those wide strengths we have to break out at blinding speed. And I say that for the first leg at home, too, something I wouldn't normally advocate when we're at Cardiff City Stadium.

Don't get impatient, just because we're at home first up. Remember that it's a two-legged tie. You can't win it in the first match, but you can pretty much lose it if you go too gung-ho, suddenly see Fulham pick you off and race into a two or three goal lead.

Cardiff have more than enough about them to win this tie.

As such, don't be too worried by the fact we were outplayed just a few weeks up at Fulham. I was at that game, it wasn't our finest hour. But I also know Cardiff have so much more in the tank than that and, set up correctly by the manager, they have it in them to snatch the first game 1-0 and then draw the return leg.

There won't be many goals, I can guarantee you that. Never are in the play-offs, with so much at stake.

What happens in the other semi? If I were a betting man, given how things panned out on Wednesday night, I'd say Swansea will overcome Brentford.

Why? Because sometimes you have to take the football out of the equation and just go on human emotion.

Brentford blew a chance to go up automatically, losing at home to Barnsley after also crashing at Stoke in their final two games.

They will have been seeking the top two, instead they're in the play-offs.

Swansea are delighted to just get in there, having hit Reading for four and seen Forest unexpectedly capitulate by the same scoreline. at home to Stoke.

Swansea suddenly soared into the top six, have momentum - whose position would you rather be in?

Brentford play lovely stuff, but I'm not sure, judging by the last couple of results, that they can handle pressure.

It'll be another tight two-legged affair. I'm going 1-1 at the Liberty, 1-1 at Griffin Park - and Swansea on penalties because I just think things are going for them at the moment.

So that would set up the Welsh showdown at Wembley. Wow. I can't wait - and it least we wouldn't have to worry about crowd trouble.

Look, it's not great playing football without fans. Watching Liverpool lift the Premier League trophy the other night was fabulous, but think of what the atmosphere would have been like inside Anfield with their supporters there.

The fans are the ones who create the atmosphere at football matches, but it'd still be Cardiff v Swansea, with everything at stake that goes with that unique fixture.

I've had a few Cardiff fans tell me they don't want Swansea in the final, couldn't bear losing to them were that to happen.

I reply 'The winning outweighs the losing'. Very much so, for me.

You can get over the losing when next season starts - but beating Swansea at Wembley would be the greatest feeling in the world for Cardiff fans and they'd never forget it.

Give me Swansea ahead of any other team in a final. Every day.. I'd love it.

And I think it's going to happen, too..

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/ready-cardiff-city-v-swansea-18651217

WhiteJC

Report: Tottenham interested in Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli

Tottenham are reportedly interested in goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli from Championship outfit Fulham, who has also previously been linked with Scottish club Celtic.

According to the Daily Mail, Spurs are looking at signing a new shot-stopper in the upcoming transfer window.

The report claims that that Fulham's goalkeeper is on their radar as a potential target.

The Daily Mail also recently reported that Celtic are interested in the 6ft 4in colossus and that he could be available for just £1million this summer, as he enters the final year of his contract.

Bettinelli has lost his starting position this season in a Fulham XI fighting for promotion from the Championship and they are now entering the play-offs.

The 26-year-old was previously drafted into the senior England squad back in 2018 without earning a cap.

TBR's View- Bettinelli a £1m bargain, but not Lloris competition
Bettinelli would be a bargain signing for most clubs at just £1million and provide good back-up cover at Spurs, but it's unlikely he can get near to challenging number one Hugo Lloris and would have his work cut out replacing Paulo Gazzaniga as the number two option.

He is a commanding goalkeeper that is a real presence in his penalty area and it shows a lot that he was drafted into a Gareth Southgate squad.

The north London club could be making a shrewd piece of business for Bettinelli at £1million and he would surely earn a profit in the future if sold.

https://tbrfootball.com/report-tottenham-interested-in-fulham-goalkeeper-marcus-bettinelli/

WhiteJC

Mitro Wins The Golden Boot

Aleksandar Mitrović has won the Sky Bet Championship Golden Boot after hitting 26 goals in the regular 2019/20 season.

Mitro faced stiff competition from Ollie Watkins throughout the campaign, but leapfrogged the Brentford forward in the rankings with a brace in the penultimate match against Sheffield Wednesday.

The feat is all the more impressive considering that Mitrović played 540 fewer minutes than Watkins, owing to injury and suspension.

It is the first time a Fulham player has claimed the Golden Boot in almost 20 years, when Louis Saha scored 27 times in our Division One winning campaign.

"It's a nice honour," Mitrović told fulhamfc.com. "It means I did my job well this season, so I'm happy with this.

"Of course I want to thank my teammates and Manager, everyone at the Club who helped me to win this. I want say a big thank you because without them I wouldn't have won.

"It's a nice award and I'm happy to win it. Now hopefully we can finish the job and get promoted.

"It would be nice to follow this award with one more Play-Off winner's medal. That's what we're working towards and hopefully we can do it."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/july/24/aleksandar-mitrovic-golden-boot

WhiteJC

Play-Off Programme

The Sky Bet Championship Play-Offs are almost here, with the home leg of our Semi-Final against Cardiff City taking place on Thursday 30th July.

Our friends at Press Box Publishing Ltd are producing a limited number of Official Matchday Programmes for the second leg, which will be delivered to your door if you pre-order them before 11am on Monday 27th July.

Each of these exclusive programmes will comprise the usual jam-packed 100 pages, full of great features, including notes from Scott Parker, opposition previews and the latest news from Fulham FC.

Should you wish to pre-order a copy of the Official Matchday Programme for the Sky Bet EFL Play-Off Semi-Final second-leg against Cardiff City and have it posted to you, simply click here.

We will also have a limited number of copies of the Matchday Programme on sale at the Club Shop on Wednesday 29th July, from 2pm.

However, if you can't get to the Club Shop, you can download the programme online for just £1.99 from our friends at Pocketmags on gameday.

Don't miss out – pre-order your exclusive Sky Bet EFL Playoff Official Matchday Programme today to avoid disappointment.

You can follow Press Box Publishing Ltd on Twitter (@pressboxpublish) or on Facebook (facebook.com/pressboxpublishing).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/july/24/play-off-programme

WhiteJC

'The pressure's on Fulham', says Cardiff boss

Neil Harris believes his Cardiff City team enter the Play-Offs as "the form side" and says the pressure is on their opponents, Fulham, ahead of the first leg of their Semi-Final.

The Bluebirds head into Monday's clash in South Wales on the back of a three-game winning run, and having picked up six victories since the Championship restarted.

Harris says that having come this far, his players are in it to win it, but that objective won't stop them enjoying the experience against their fourth-placed opponents.

"We are the form side in the Play-Offs, but the league table doesn't lie," he told BBC Sport Wales.

"The message is clear now. We get into the Play-Offs and extend our season when everyone else is on holiday and you do that for one reason only and that's to win. No other reason.

"There is a little bit of pressure on us but there is huge pressure on Fulham, a team that should be in the Premier League with the money that they have spent and even now are spending. We will go and enjoy it."

Cardiff were joined in the Play-Offs on the final day of the season by rivals Swansea City, who pipped Nottingham Forest to sixth spot in dramatic fashion.

Harris admits he didn't expect the Swans to book their place in the Semi-Finals, but added that Cardiff have the "most passionate fanbase in the Play-Offs."

"I didn't see that happening, that we would both get in the Play-Offs, I just couldn't see us both getting there. I just couldn't see it. But both Welsh clubs deserve it," he added.

"I would have liked our fans to have been there. We would have had a sell-out and they would have carried us through. They deserve a special mention. We might feel the loss of fans more in the Play-Offs.

"We do now lose something not having the fans. No disrespect to the other teams, but we have the most passionate fanbase of the teams in the Play-Offs. Teams would fear coming here and maybe we wouldn't feel the same way going away."

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/july/the-pressures-on-fulham-and-not-us-says-cardiff-boss/

WhiteJC

Championship: WhoScored.com's Team of the Season 2019/20
WhoScored.com run through their 2019/20 Championship Team of the Season...

The final day of the Championship season provided entertainment and then some as West Brom confirmed their automatic promotion spot alongside Leeds, while Swansea snuck into the playoffs at the death.

Here, WhoScored.com run through their team of the season using their unique rating system...

Goalkeeper: Marek Rodak (Fulham) - 6.77 rating
The first of three Fulham representatives features between the sticks. Marek Rodak was solid for the Whites in goal as Scott Parker's side earned a playoff spot. The Slovakian youngster kept 13 clean sheets in his 33 outings and ranked among the top 10 goalkeepers for saves per 90 (3) this season.

What's more, of the goalkeepers to make more than 10 league outings, Rodak's save success rate (75 per cent) was better than any other shotstopper to yield a WhoScored.com rating of 6.77.

Right-back: Luke Ayling (Leeds) - 7.26 rating
The sole representative for champions Leeds, which says more about the impressive team performances from Marcelo Bielsa's side rather than the reliance in individual quality. Luke Ayling was solid at the back as his WhoScored.com rating (7.26) suggests. To go with his four goals and four assists, the 28-year-old chipped in with averages of 1.9 tackles and 1.7 interceptions per 90 to help make the WhoScored.com team of the season.

Centre-back: Shaun Hutchinson (Millwall) - 7.29 rating
Millwall's only player in the best XI is centre-back Shaun Hutchinson. The defender was a towering presence at both ends of the pitch for the Lions, as he bagged six league goals, five of which were headers, and won an impressive 208 aerial duels, both enough to rank among the top 10 players in the Championship to help reinforce a statistically calculated WhoScored.com strength of 'aerial duels' and contribute towards a rating of 7.29.

Centre-back: Sean Morrison (Cardiff) - 7.26 rating
Partnering Hutchinson at the back is Cardiff's Sean Morrison. Only Preston's Patrick Bauer (249) won more aerial duels than Morrison (243) in the Championship this season. The 29-year-old scored four and assisted two for the Bluebirds, while no player won more WhoScored.com man of the match awards than Morrison (10) to contribute towards his inclusion in this team with a rating of 7.26.

Left-back: Joe Bryan (Fulham) - 7.13 rating
No defender registered more assists than Joe Bryan (7) in the Championship this season, with the left-back the final defender in the best XI. Bryan was a regular attacking threat down the Fulham left as he averaged 1.3 key passes per 90, while off the ball; he made more tackles (117) than any other player in England's second tier this term to reinforce statistically calculated WhoScored.com strengths of 'key passes' and 'tackling'.

Right midfield: Andre Ayew (Swansea) - 7.35 rating
The first and only Swansea player to make the WhoScored.com Championship team of the season, Andre Ayew played a key role in securing the Swans' spot in the playoffs. Indeed, the Ghanaian scored 15 times and provided an additional seven assists for Steve Cooper's side and was the third most fouled player (99) in the Championship this season to help garner a WhoScored.com rating of 7.35.

Central midfield: Matheus Pereira (West Brom) - 7.41 rating
Matheus Pereira proved to be an inspired signing for West Brom, with the Baggies lucky to be making his loan move permanent this summer. Indeed, the Brazilian ranked first for key passes (116), clear-cut chances created (20) and assists (16) in the Championship this season to return a WhoScored.com rating of 7.41.

Central midfield: Eberechi Eze (QPR) - 7.36 rating
QPR may have disappointed this season, but the same can't be said for Eberechi Eze. The young midfielder is likely to be plying his trade in the Premier League next season and deservedly so as Eze partners Pereira in midfield having garnered a WhoScored.com rating of 7.36.

The 22-year-old was one of three players to return 10 WhoScored.com man of the match awards with his 14 goals, eight assists and 136 successful dribbles - more than any other player - to help nail down a place in this XI.

Left midfield: Said Benrahma (Brentford) - 7.51 rating
The first of two Brentford players, Said Benrahma ended the campaign as the WhoScored.com player of the season in the Championship as he returned a rating of 7.51. Like Eze, Benrahma picked up 10 WhoScored.com man of the match awards and was in fine form post-lockdown to help push him to top spot. The Algerian scored 17 and provided eight assists for the league's top scorers as he ranked highly for successful dribbles (132) and key passes (91) to cap a fine campaign.

Striker: Ollie Watkins (Brentford) - 7.28 rating
The second Brentford player to make the cut, Ollie Watkins narrowly missed out on the Championship's Golden Boot as he bagged 25 league goals for the Bees, more than his previous two seasons combined. No player scored more clear-cut chances than Watkins (18) to reinforce a statistically calculated WhoScored.com strength of 'finishing' and earn a rating of 7.28.

Striker: Aleksandar Mitrovic (Fulham) - 7.24 rating
Rounding off the WhoScored.com Championship team of the season is the league's top scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic. The Serb hit the back of the net 26 times for Fulham this season, one more than Watkins, while only Benrahma (166) had more shots than Mitrovic (151) to help the 25-year-old to a WhoScored.com rating of 7.24.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12035271/championship-whoscored-coms-team-of-the-season-2019-20

WhiteJC

Why Celtic is a much better move than Tottenham for £1m bargain – TBR View

Tottenham Hotspur have reportedly joined Celtic in the race to sign Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli and the stopper could be allowed to leave for a bargain figure of just £1million – but which is his best move?

Called up by England in 2018, Bettinelli's career has gone somewhat downhill. The 28-year-old has entered the final 12 months of his Fulham contract and has lost his place in the west London side's starting line-up.

The Daily Mail claimed Celtic had identified Bettinelli as an option, after talks to re-sign Fraser Forster for a third time had fallen flat on their face. It is believed Fulham are willing to accept offers of just £1million for Bettinelli.

The Hoops could need more than just the one goalkeeper with both Forster and Craig Gordon departing, leaving Neil Lennon with just Scott Bain between the sticks. However, they face competition in the race for Bettinelli.

The Mail have now claimed in a more recent report that Tottenham are now interested in Bettinelli, as they look to bring in adequate back-up for Hugo Lloris despite the presence of Argentina international Paulo Gazzaniga.

So, which move is best for Bettinelli? The chance to become heir to Lloris' number-one Spurs throne and remain in London, or to go and win trophies with Lennon's all-conquering Celtic as the club's immediate first choice?

Spurs would be an excellent move for 6ft 3in Bettinelli. He would not have to relocate, but realistically, is Bettinelli going to be Tottenham's number one goalkeeper? He will have a job ousting Gazzaniga as the club's number two.

Spurs are likely to want Bettinelli as a replacement for the outgoing Michel Vorm. But at Celtic, Bettinelli would be first choice and with the promise of regular game time, trophies and the Parkhead atmosphere, it is a no-brainer.

Celtic is a much better move for London-born Bettinelli.

https://tbrfootball.com/why-celtic-is-a-much-better-move-than-tottenham-for-1m-bargain-tbr-view/

WhiteJC

Report: Fulham want £4.7m star from London rivals; also make £9m striker bid

Fulham are interested in raiding West London rivals Queens Park Rangers for the £4.7 million-rated winger Bright Osayi-Samuel, according to Het Laaste Nieuws.

Try as they might, Club Brugge have still not tied up a deal to sign one of the quickest players in the English second tier.

The reigning Belgian champions have had a bid accepted by QPR but, according to West London Sport, Osayi-Samuel is still mulling over whether a move to mainland Europe would be the right move at such a key juncture of his career.

Yet he is not exactly short of alternative offers.

"Every player in the world has got a price," Rangers boss Mark Warburton admitted on Thursday.

"Whatever happens happens. But if any player leaves QPR – and this is the key point – they leave on QPR's terms. That's what people have to realise."

The Loftus Road outfit may have no choice but to sell a rocket-fuelled 22-year-old who, thanks to such explosive performances since the turn of the year, has challenged the outstanding Eberechi Eze for the title of QPR's talisman.

Osayi-Samuel has less than 12 months on his contract after all.

But the prospect of the former Blackpool speedster flying past full-backs down the road at Craven Cottage is the stuff of nightmares for QPR fans.

Reports in Belgium claim that Fulham are trying to muscle in on Brugge's deal and, even if Scott Parker's side fail to secure promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs, that £4.7 million fee should not prove prohibitive.

A Bola also claim that Fulham have had a £9 million bid rejected by Sporting Lisbon for another talented young forward – the Cape Verde international Jovane Cabral.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/07/24/report-fulham-want-4-7m-star-from-london-rivals-also-make-9m-striker-bid/

WhiteJC

Play-off semi-finals 1st leg...
Sunday and Monday see's the first games of the play-off semi-finals.
The first of the play-off semi's is Swansea v Brentford, Swansea gatecrashed the top six replacing Forest on the final day so they've got to be full of confidence especially as Brentford lost their last game?
Monday evening we get to travel to South Wales and take on Cardiff.
Our two previous games against Cardiff earlier this season were 1-1 at their place last August and a 2-0 win at the Cottage earlier this month.

COYWs

Play-off Semi-finals 1st leg...
Sunday 26th

Swansea v Brentford

Monday 27th
Cardiff v Fulham

come on over to the forum and join in the discussion...
https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=1233

WhiteJC

EFL confirm 2020/21 season start date for Charlton, QPR, Fulham, Brentford & Millwall

With the 2019/20 Championship season finishing more than two months later than planned, the start of the 2020/21 campaign has been pushed back

EFL clubs have this afternoon agreed on a date to begin the 2020/21 season.

The latest shareholders meeting took place via video link today and it has been revealed that the new season will start on September 12.

With the 2019/20 season finishing more than two months later than planned, the start of the 2020/21 campaign has been pushed back.

The news comes just an hour after the Premier League confirmed its 2020/21 campaign will start on the same day.

Two dates had long been identified as potential start dates - Saturday, August 29 or Saturday, September 12.

However, the September start date was always thought to be the one favoured by most clubs as it gives them more time to prepare for next season.

The EFL has also confirmed that the 2020/21 season will conclude on May 8 and 9, and work is underway in respect of fixture scheduling.

"The EFL can confirm that the 2020/21 Season will get underway across the Sky Bet Championship, League One and League Two on the weekend of 12 September," a statement from the EFL read on Rotherham's website.

"The 2020/21 season will conclude on the 8 and 9 May 2021, with the Sky Bet Play-Off

"Finals reverting back to the Spring Bank Holiday weekend at the end of May.

"Work is currently underway in respect of fixture scheduling and details will be announced in due course as to when full fixture lists for 2020/21."

https://www.football.london/championship/breaking-efl-season-date-confirmed-18657451

WhiteJC

Neil Harris disproved the doubters and delivered on promises as Cardiff City boss prepares for biggest week of his career

The Bluebirds manager has taken Cardiff City from 14th to fifth in eight months and is now preparing for a huge test against Fulham in the play-offs

Back in November, Neil Harris took his seat in Hensol Castle as the new manager of Cardiff City.

Following his announcement, there appeared to be widespread apathy among the fan base, having gone from the effervescent raconteur Neil Warnock, who dragged Cardiff City to the Premier League by the scruff of the neck and earned legendary status in doing so.

Who wants to follow that? How do you follow that?

Harris sat and spoke with gusto about where he wanted his side to be at the end of the season. He addressed the club's ailing academy and delivered a passionate speech about overhauling it and making it the lifeblood of the club once again.

He got the fan base, too. He shone the light on the club and understood its importance and magnitude in this corner of the world.

He stoked up the rivalry with Swansea City, too, when other managers before him had attempted to pour cold water over it, much to the annoyance of the fans.

It was a positive start, but the fans would need far more convincing than that.

Harris tentatively said his aim was to finish in the top six and on that he never wavered, even when results stagnated at Christmas time.

Following an impressive run of results and a visible improvement in style and confidence on the pitch, Harris now finds himself three games away from becoming a Premier League manager.

"Sitting in my first press conferences, I made some promises about the team Cardiff fans would see - they would be passionate, have work rate and never let the team down," Harris said ahead of the clash against Fulham on Monday.

"I said they will see a Neil Harris team that is filled with passion, a desire to do well, with structure and organisation. I made some comments about how I would like to see the team play and where I would like to see the team finish, ideally.

"I could be wrong, but I think we have delivered as a group on what I had hoped in the short-term and mid-term, long-term is probably from next season onwards.

"I knew all along that the group was getting questioned, individuals during my first few months in charge were massively under scrutiny, a lot of the players when they hadn't performed very well.

"Some maybe slid under the radar a little bit, me included.

"To change people's perception is not always easy in football, so I'm really pleased about where I am at the moment."

It certainly looks as though he has started to win over the fan base, although it took some convincing.

He has the small task of beating Fulham looming over his head, which of course will be no easy feat. But the situation is familiar to him.

He has experienced the play-offs both as a player and as Millwall manager, but this next week, Harris said, is the biggest of his 24-year career in the game.

"I would say it is," he said.

"I was fortunate to have good times as a player and was fortunate to have three top-six finishes as a manager and eighth place two years ago with Millwall.

"I've been in cup quarter-finals as a manager, I've been fortunate enough to have some good times, but to get into the play-offs, as we stand, is right up there. A great achievement for the group.

"I just don't want to get too far ahead, because it's all hypothetical at the moment."

He knows the threat Scott Parker's Fulham will pose. They have an imposing striker in Aleksandar Mitrovic, who has scored 26 goals so far this season, and play slick football which has the potential to carve open opposition defences.

But Harris' Bluebirds' are brimming with confidence. The manager said he watched the game back from a fortnight ago and was heartened that his team were so poor, relative to how brilliant they have been, and there still wasn't much between the two sides.

Harris is clearly excited about the double header with Fulham, he believes the pressure is off them slightly as they come into the tie as underdogs, a position you sense he enjoys.

"The players are enjoying training every day," Harris added. "They're in fine form, there's camaraderie in the group. You just have to enjoy it."

So, is Harris enjoying it? He is always so focused and hellbent on the task ahead, there appears to be very little room for enjoying the great strides this team has made.

"I wanted to challenge myself, the next step," he said, thinking back on his decision to accept the Cardiff job. "Coming to the Welsh capital, a big club like Cardiff, I knew the passion here.

"I knew the demand of the fan base. The squad, I wanted to work with them, some good players. I thought there was a potential to be successful, to come here, win games.

"It was a good fit for me. Have I found what I wanted? I'm finding it. It's a work in progress. I'm enjoying it, thoroughly enjoying it.

"Successful over the next three games or not successful over the next three games, I'm still massively looking forward to next season, whatever division we are in."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-harris-disproved-doubters-delivered-18657230

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

I was sitting indoors watching everything unfold on Wednesday, and it was an eventful night to say the least. It turns out there was no way we were going up automatically, because West Brom got the point they needed to stay ahead of us. I was glad Brentford didn't go up, because I think we'd have a better chance against them, should we get to the Final, than we would against West Brom. In my opinion, they were slightly better than us when we played them at the Hawthorns, but when we had Brentford at the Cottage, although we lost the game I thought we were better than them. So I've taken a bit of spirit from that, but of course we have to get over the line against Cardiff first in the Semi-Final.

Neil Harris has done a wonderful job with Cardiff. I've met Neil quite a few times, and he's a nice lad. He did a great job at Millwall on a supressed budget, and he's got the best out of the Cardiff players. That wasn't an easy job that he took on from Neil Warnock, and at that time I don't think anyone would have expected them to finish the season fifth in the table.

It's only a couple of weeks since we beat Cardiff relatively comfortably, so that will definitely work in our favour from a psychological standpoint. I can remember Neil coming to the Cottage with his Millwall teams, and they'd always sit back against us and let us have possession. It will be interesting to see how he approaches things now that it's a higher stakes game. I've got a feeling he might set his team up to have more of a go at us than he usually does. He's come unstuck with every team he's had against us before, so don't be surprised if he mixes it up.

The bookies have got Brentford as the favourites overall, but it's going to be an interesting one because I think conceding that late goal might have knocked the stuffing out of Brentford. I was texting [Fulham Director] Dave Daly saying I thought they might slip up against Barnsley, and that's exactly what they ended up doing. It's a strange one with them, because they were absolutely flying, but then lost both games when they actually got to the point where they could go second.

They say form goes out the window in the Play-Offs but, for me, the fact that we're on a bit of a high with our form is a huge positive. The Play-Offs is all about results. You don't worry so much about the pretty football, you do what you've got to do to win the game. And if that means we've got to be as ugly as sin, then that's what we've got to do. Since lockdown there's been a few games where that's the case, so Scott will have been pleased to see the boys grind three points out when they've had to. I think Scott has done a good job to get us in this position. Yes we would have liked automatics, but to finish on 81 points in your first job as a manager is something that should be applauded.

A lot of people will be hoping for an all Welsh or all West London Final, but my prediction is that it's going to be Fulham versus Swansea at Wembley, with Fulham to come out on top. We've just got to go and do the business now.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/july/24/the-tony-gale-column

WhiteJC

Fulham plan audacious raid on QPR for star winger

Fulham are planning an audacious raid on West London rivals QPR as they look to sign Bright Osayi-Samuel according to a report from the Belgian publication HLN.

For a while, it seemed like Osayi-Samuel's future was set. He was going to be leaving QPR but instead of heading elsewhere in the Sky Bet Championship, he'd be heading over to Belgium. Reports suggested that he had agreed to a deal to join the Belgian giants Club Brugge. They were usual competitors in the Champions League but have struggled in recent years.

But that deal ended up falling through and while Brugge are looking to complete that move, things have opened up for other teams to make their move. Allegedly, Osayi-Samuel is unsure about whether he should be heading abroad at this point in his career. Premier League Burnley are looking to add the pacy winger to their side but the headline-grabbing move is that QPR's West London rivals Fulham are trying to persuade Osayi-Samuel to make the very short move to them.

Fulham do not know what league they will be playing in next season as they are in the Sky Bet Championship play-offs but it appears that no matter if they get promoted or not, they will remain interested in Osayi-Samuel. The fee QPR are said to be asking for is £4.7m and that shouldn't be too much trouble for Fulham to pay, promotion or no promotion. With this interest and with him only having a year left on his deal, the R's will struggle to keep one of their star men.

https://the72.co.uk/182413/fulham-plan-audacious-raid-on-qpr-for-star-winger/

WhiteJC

Parker feeling positive ahead of Cardiff City test

After narrowly missing out on automatic promotion, Fulham prepare to take on Cardiff City in the Sky Bet Championship Play-Offs.

Fulham were within touching distance of the final automatic promotion spot heading into the final day of the Championship season, but Scott Parker knew his side needed a helping hand from those above if they were to go up via the automatic promotion places.

Following a draw against Wigan Athletic it wasn't to be however, and following a fourth-placed finish, Parker's side must now prepare for the possibility of a further three games if they wish to return to the Premier League.

The Fulham manager has revealed that he and his side are feeling positive about the Play-Offs, despite missing out on automatic promotion.

"We knew the challenge that was ahead of us," Parker says speaking ahead of Monday's Semi-Final first leg against Cardiff City. 

"We knew there might be some last minute twists and turns in the league table, but we also knew on the final day that it wasn't really in our hands to get automatic promotion.

"I said to the lads to focus on ourselves and to put ourselves in a position where if the automatic promotion spot became available, we could take it, but if not we were safely in the Play-Offs.

"That's been the message throughout, and as great as it would have been to get automatic promotion, there are two ways to get promoted out of this division and if it's via the Play-Offs, we just have to be prepared for three more games.

"Because of that I don't feel not making second place has been any sort of psychological blow to me or the team."

After losing consecutive matches to Brentford and Leeds United after the restart, Fulham go into the two-legged Play-Off Semi-Finals against Cardiff unbeaten in seven matches - their longest run without a defeat this season.

Neil Harris' side however, arguably go into the game with greater momentum, having recorded three wins out of three in their most recent outings, scoring eight goals in the process.

Harris insists though, that the pressure is on Fulham.

"I think there's pressure on both sides," Parker responds.

"Cardiff were in the Premier League with us last year, and I think they - like us - are a team that are expected to be up and around where they are and a team that were expected to make the Play-Offs. 

"It's a massive game for both of us, and we look forward to the challenge that lies ahead. It's two games against a very good side, there's no doubt about that.

"There's a certain ingredient you need to bring to a football match to win a football match, and if you can bring that, then I have no doubt that we will win more than we lose, I've thought that all season. At times we have fallen short, but I think the main focus now has to be us and what we can do, how we can influence the game and how we play. We need to show up when we step over that line and if we do, we'll be fine."

Like Cardiff, Fulham were playing their football in the Premier League as recently as last season, and having reached the top flight via the Play-Offs in 2018, it's an occasion they're no stranger to.

"Of course having played in Play-Off games before helps," Parker admits.

"We've got some players who were in this position just a couple of seasons ago and that definitely helps understand what you need to bring to the game to win it, as well as advance to the Final. Experience is important.

"There's no underestimating the teams that are in the Play-Offs, I wouldn't expect anything less from the Championship. We've got to show up on the day."

After winning just seven Premier League games last season, Fulham were relegated back to the Championship, and Parker was quick to work with the players to ensure success this season.

"For us to have won 23 games in this division, which is a really tough division, after losing most weeks in the Premier League last season is really impressive.

"The players have responded really well psychologically and if you look at where we are now compared to where we were, you have to say fair play to the squad.

"We've worked hard on the mental side of the game this season. We've given players a good understanding of what's needed to win football matches along with how important momentum can be. But I've also tried to create a positive culture and environment here.

"There were times last year when losing games brought doubt amongst the squad and there was often some uncertainty, but this season we've just tried to break it down and make things more simple for the players and with that we've really developed as a team.

"We have a psychologist that works with the team and I have someone I work with personally as well, it's something that I whole heartedly believe in. Everyone works differently, everyone thinks differently and we have players that come from a range of different cultures. You have to manage that appropriately and I think the psychological side of the game is really important."

The Fulham manager will of course be hoping that his top scorer - and Championship golden boot winner - Aleksandar Mitrovic continues his run of form, having scored 26 goals in 40 appearances this season.

"He's been a real focal point of everything we've done and of played a huge part in where we are now.

"It's no secret that we've probably needed goals from elsewhere on the pitch at times, but recently those goals have come and that's really pleasing to see."

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/july/parker-positive-ahead-of-cardiff-city-test/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker denies Neil Harris claims that pressure is on Fulham for playoffs

Fulham manager Scott Parker dismissed comments made by Cardiff boss Neil Harris that the pressure was on the London club ahead of Monday's Sky Bet Championship play-off clash between the two sides.

Parker's Fulham have gone unbeaten in their last seven Championship matches, winning five of them, including a 2-0 victory over the Bluebirds at Craven Cottage on July 10.

Harris had previously told BBC Wales that Fulham would be under the weight of expectation while the Bluebirds could go and enjoy it, something the Fulham boss denied.

"I think there's been pressure on both," Parker said when asked about his opposite number's remarks.

"Cardiff were in the Premier League with us last year and they were eight points better off than us to be honest with you. They finished above us in the Premier League, they're in the same position as I understand."

The Fulham boss added: "Look, it's a massive game for both of us, expectations on both clubs are huge, so I think we understand the expectation from the outside and the expectation from the inside is always going to be great.

"Two games against a very, very good Cardiff team, you have no doubt about that, we understand what we face. But like I say, we'll embrace that and we look forward to it."

Fulham also have the division's top-scorer for the 2019-20 season in Aleksandar Mitrovic, who scored 26 goals during the regular season, and Parker hailed his "vitally important" contribution.

When asked about the striker, the Fulham boss added: "Obviously Mitrovic has scored a large part of the goals this year, and has been a focal point to what we've done and where we are.

"We said we needed goals from elsewhere in the pitch, we probably lacked that a little bit this year and it's certainly an area we need to improve on because there's certainly been a lot of attention on Mitrovic and his goals have been vitally important."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/championship-promotion-race/news/scott-parker-denies-neil-harris-claims-that-pressure-is-on-fulham-for-playoffs_407822.html

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Post Match Show: Wigan vs. Fulham

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

In this episode, we looked back at Fulham's 1-1 draw with Wigan. After that, we talked about the upcoming playoff matches with Cardiff City.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2020/7/24/21337431/cottage-talk-post-match-show-wigan-vs-fulham