more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 29/07/20...

Started by WhiteJC, July 28, 2020, 11:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Tottenham in talks over loan exits for Oliver Skipp and Troy Parrott

Fulham are leading the race to sign Tottenham midfielder Oliver Skipp on a season-long loan – but a deal may hinge on whether they are promoted.

Spurs manager Jose Mourinho has reluctantly agreed to let Skipp leave on loan and the 19-year-old is also attracting interest from Premier League duo Southampton and Burnley, as well as Reading and Nottingham Forest.

Fulham boss Scott Parker knows Skipp from his time as a youth coach at Spurs and the Cottagers are currently frontrunners, although the move is less likely if they win the play-offs.

Skipp, who signed a new four-year Spurs contract last week, wants to play regular first-team football at holding midfield and knows he is more likely to do so at a leading Championship club than in the top flight.

The England Under-21 international, who has played just 105 minutes this season, has been encouraged by the success of Chelsea pair Mason Mount and Tammy Abraham, who spent a season on loan in the second tier before becoming Premier League and England regulars this term.

Fulham lead Cardiff 2-0 in the play-off semi-final ahead of Thursday's second leg at Craven Cottage, with Brentford or Swansea awaiting the winners at Wembley.

Mourinho is hugely impressed by Skipp and last week said he has the "character and personality" to be a future Spurs captain.

"He is one of these kids that I have no doubt he will be an important player for Tottenham," Mourinho said. "I never told him I want him to go on loan, I always told him I wanted him to stay here, because that's the selfish perspective of a coach who wants the best possible squad. [But] in his mind he wants to go on loan."

Young Spurs forward Troy Parrott is also set to spend next season on loan, with Millwall leading a host of clubs interested in the Republic of Ireland international.

Parrott has been given a glowing reference from compatriot Jason Molumby, who spent last season on loan at the Den, and Spurs would prefer the 18-year-old to remain in the capital.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-oliver-skipp-troy-parrott-transfer-latest-a4510676.html

WhiteJC

Talking Points: Cardiff First Leg

Josh Onomah's transformation into Maradonomah is just one of the things we're talking about following Monday night's excellent win.

1. Big Hec's big tackle

Despite Fulham's dominance, Cardiff actually started the brighter of the two sides, and came close to going ahead inside the opening quarter of an hour. Robert Glatzel's eyes would have lit up when he saw the ball spinning his way after Marek Rodák had saved from Leandro Bacuna. It should have been a simple tap-in, but Michael Hector made a quick remarkable tackle, spinning his body and raking a leg around the ball practically on the line, before managing to scoop it away to Joe Bryan and safety.

2. Half-time in the tie

As fantastic a result as it was in the Welsh capital, it would be foolish to think that the job is done. Scott Parker reiterated in his post-match interviews that we are only halfway there and that another big performance will be needed at the Cottage on Thursday. The Whites are certainly in the driving seat, but that doesn't mean there will be any room for complacency in the Second Leg.

3. Kebano in the history books?

It's not an easy fact to check, but we're pretty confident that Neeskens Kebano is the first Fulham player ever to score a direct free-kick in three consecutive matches. To even find the back of the net with a set-piece three times in a season would be a pretty decent feat, so to manage it in little over a week is nothing short of spectacular!

4. Tek like Onomah

We apologise to whomever we've plagiarised this from, but the new nickname of Maradonomah could not be more apt. Josh's technique for his wonder strike drew plenty of comparisons to the Argentine legend, as well as his compatriot Lionel Messi, something which we're fully endorsing here at Fulham HQ.

5. Managing without Mitro

Monday was the seventh league game that Aleksandar Mitrović has missed this season, but Fulham have coped admirably in his absence on each occasion. A draw away to Charlton Athletic was the only match we didn't win when Mitro has been unavailable, which is credit to how the team adapt when a change of shape and style is needed. That said, we are all of course praying for a speedy return to action for the Golden Boot winner!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/july/28/talking-points-cardiff-city-first-leg

WhiteJC

Fulham will sign Tottenham midfielder if they fail to win promotion

Fulham are the most likely team to sign Tottenham Hotspur's Oliver Skipp but only if they do not get promoted according to a report from the London Evening Standard.

The 19-year-old midfielder is one of the best youngsters on the books at Tottenham and is expected to be a star player for them in future. Even head coach Jose Mourinho, someone who is known for not trusting young players or giving them a chance, has praised him, saying he is a future captain of the club.

Unfortunately for Skipp, who has recently committed to Tottenham by signing a four-year contract with the club, this hasn't translated into first-team football for him. He has only played 105 minutes for Spurs this season and if he wants to become the Tottenham club captain like Mourinho expects of him in future, he needs to play regularly.

This is why he is set to be loaned out next season and Fulham are the side leading the race for him. Its an ideal move for Skipp as Cottagers head coach Scott Parker knows him well from when he was the youth coach at Tottenham. This is alongside the short distance between Tottenham and Fulham.

The only thing which could stop this move is whether Fulham get promoted or not. They are competing in the Sky Bet Championship play-offs and have got off to a good start by beating Cardiff City 2-0 in the opening leg of the semi-finals. But if they get promoted, Tottenham fear Skipp won't get the first-team football he needs. This means that the young midfielder would be a consolation prize if Fulham fail to get promoted.

https://the72.co.uk/183281/fulham-will-sign-tottenham-midfielder-if-they-fail-to-win-promotion/

WhiteJC

Fulham eye loan move for Skipp

Fulham are in discussions with Tottenham over a possible loan move for teenage midfielder Oliver Skipp – but a deal will only be completed if the Whites fail to secure promotion to the Premier League.

Tonight's Evening Standard reveals that Scott Parker, who coached Skipp during his spell in charge of Tottenham's under-18 side, is keen to bring the England under-21 international to Craven Cottage and that Fulham lead a queue of several Championship sides, including Reading and Nottingham Forest, in the race for his services.

The nineteen year-old, who signed a new four year contract with Spurs last week, has been told that he can leave Tottenham on loan next season to further his development. Skipp has been encouraged to seek more first team football following the success enjoyed by Tammy Abraham and Mason Mount, whose loan spells in the Championship were followed by breaking into the Chelsea first team and Parker is a known admirer of his talent.

Skipp, tipped to a future Tottenham captain last week by Jose Mourinho, got just 105 minutes of senior football under his belt this season, but the picture would be complicated should Fulham earn promotion via the play-offs. The Standard suggests that both Burnley and Southampton are interested in taking the defensive midfielder on loan.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/07/fulham-eye-loan-move-for-skipp/

WhiteJC

Harrison Reed: I'd struggle with a minor role

HARRISON Reed admits he'll find it tough if he's not playing regularly next season.

The Saints midfielder was sent out on loan to Fulham last year after it became clear he wouldn't be a first-choice midfielder at St Mary's.

Reed's impressed at Craven Cottage and realises this summer will be an important step in his career.

Reflecting on his time in the capital, the 25-year-old told the Independent: "As soon as I heard about Fulham's interest, I was keen to go.

"I didn't expect to walk into the team straight away, it took me a few weeks to learn the style of play and what the manager wanted from me.

"It's been a long journey full of ups and downs.

"There have been lots of good times at Southampton and a lot of bad ones too. You learn to accept that as a player.

"James Ward-Prowse was in my first ever training session at the club and now he's the captain.

"Everyone's journey is different. Some people's pathway will be very smooth, but that doesn't just get handed to them. That comes from hard work.

"My loans have all been really positive, I've learnt from three great managers, and I feel like I'm at the stage now where I've established myself in a very good side.

"At the end of the day, I'm a Southampton player, but after becoming a major part of the team I'm in, if those opportunities were suddenly to be reduced or taken away from me, I'd probably really struggle with it.

"You're prepared for that whenever you go out on loan. If there's talk about me signing for a club I've joined on loan, it's because I've made an impression and had a successful season."

Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl admitted he's been tracking the midfielder's progress and wants to take another look at him during pre-season.

Reed's chances of featuring for Saints could be boosted by the expected departure of Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg.

And the loanee made it clear he'll do what's best for his own career and development.

He added: "I really enjoy turning up at a new club and having to show what you've got, and the person you are off the pitch as well as on it.

"Yes, I don't know what the future holds. But I'm focused on the play-offs and getting Fulham back into the Premier League. It would be an unbelievable achievement. Whatever decisions come afterwards will be the right ones for my career."

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/18610651.harrison-reed-struggle-minor-role/?ref=rss

WhiteJC

Fulham get upper hand after playoff win at Cardiff

• The Cottagers, who finished fourth in the Championship table, were without their Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, the division's top scorer with 26 goals who was ruled out with injury.

• In the other semi-final, Swansea City will defend a 1-0 lead at Brentford heading into their second-leg on Wednesday.

Wonderfully taken goals from Josh Onomah and Neeskens Kebano gave Fulham a 2-0 win at Cardiff City in the first leg of their Championship playoff semi-final on Monday.

The London side, relegated from the Premier League last season, will look to complete the job in the return leg at Craven Cottage on Thursday to earn a place in the final at Wembley.

Onomah collected the ball on the edge of the box with his back to goal and sharply turned before jinking past two Cardiff defenders and calmly slotting home in the 49th minute.

Fulham grabbed firm control of the tie in stoppage time when Kebano superbly curled a free-kick from the edge of the box into the top corner.

The Cottagers, who finished fourth in the Championship table, were without their Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, the division's top scorer with 26 goals who was ruled out with injury.

But they are now strong favourites to make it to Wembley on August 4 for what is often-called the most lucrative game in football.

"I'm pleased with the result (but) we need to stay level and there is still a lot of football to be played," said Fulham manager Scott Parker. "Overall we were outstanding, after a fast start where we were a little fortunate we fixed things a little bit. We had real control about us, caused them a lot of problems and Onomah's skill has come through," he said.

Cardiff manager Neil Harris said his team can still turn the tie around.

"I told the players I have been in play-off finals where I have been behind, the first goal at Craven Cottage will be key," he said.

In the other semi-final, Swansea City will defend a 1-0 lead at Brentford heading into their second-leg on Wednesday.

https://www.the-star.co.ke/sports/football/2020-07-29-fulham-get-upper-hand-after-playoff-win-at-cardiff/

WhiteJC

Five Thoughts: Cardiff City 0-2 Fulham

Cardiff City and Fulham are basically the same team. Relegated together, promoted together, vying for a return to the Premier League against one another. It's not a geographical rivalry, it's circumstantial year after year and we never like to disappoint. Andre Schurrle fizzed home a banger last term and so did Ryan Babel – blasting the target with peachy wonder strikes is simply following tradition.

Well, that statement about us being equal may be slightly unjust because the Whites actually play proper football rather than a rugby/lacrosse hybrid version of the beautiful game and on Tuesday evening, at the Cardiff City Stadium, the Whites dispatched the Bluebirds in the Play-Off semi-final first leg with a newfangled strategical prototype called 'giving it a ruddy good go because we have to actually win.'

Post-match, Scott Parker spoke of self-confidence, belief and solidarity during these testing times and his mature, measured outlook was soothing to the mind and soul. Those doubts, insecurities surrounding his competency, they're gradually dissipating but I won't be satisfied until we reach the Play-Off final and whatever happens there, raw emotions without fans, will suffice.

Sense the Intent
Fulham scoffed down their Weetabix and firmed a double eye shot of Red Bull because each and every representative of ours played a game of which we'd never seen under Parker's burgeoning command. It was almost supernatural. Cardiff brandished tangible threats but the Whites held the hosts at ransom and to a man, we equalled and then eclipsed the Bluebirds' rigorous work-rate through grit, steel and perseverance.

A regular feature of Fulham's recent outings is a subtle lack of intent, the burning want and desire to press home our advantage but on Tuesday, all three departments shared the same insatiable hunger to succeed. Harmonised bravery, a unification of occasion and magnitude, that's what spurred the Whites onto victory away from home against a resurgent outfit. Even as we progressed with the ball, sequences were purposeful, not ponderous. When we shadowed Cardiff's counters we were assured, not shaken. Whilst we scoured for an opportunity we stopped at nothing, no deterrents, just unflagging tenacity in our approach.

We berate half-arsed outings, we scorn complacency and it's about damn time I, on behalf of those that share similar opinions, bestow some credit upon Parker's shrewd game management. Executed extraordinarily, Parker organised his side to retain, constrain and strangulate Cardiff and with 66% possession, we actually made things look fairly easy, carefree and above all else, cohesive. It may not have seemed so from our sofas, but looking back on our overall performance, I'd say it was our strongest of the season so far. That's just a glimpse, a sneak peak to what this team is genuinely capable of, running at full capacity, taking the initiative and moving forwards, instead of looking over our shoulder.

Onomah's Ice-Cold Sorcery
And to think, when he first joined the Whites I poked fun at Joshua Onomah, the spindly, unobservant rookie that simply couldn't hack it. Eating words with my bare hands is all I do nowadays, like the sorry mug I am for doubting his unparalleled abilities. Brawn, Championship know-how, Cardiff's midfield consists of both and more but Marlon Pack, Joe Ralls, Lee Tomlin, they couldn't quell 23-year-old's power and panache, Onomah was the higher-ranking contender and it really showed.

Chipping in with the nitty, the gritty and the pretty, Onomah made his physical presence known whilst upholding a shimmering standard with the ball under his supervision. Leandro Bacuna thought he had the minerals but I've never seen a grown man fold in such a way, Onomah had him on strings and that glare literally meant "don't f*ck with me". Onomah's earned his stripes at this level, he's weathered adversity but there's a natural-born leader in him.

Enough of the sentimental Mills and Boon blather, that goal was hardcore, adulterated debauchery. Was it one of the dirtiest solo efforts I've seen? You bet your bottom dollar it was. The audacity, the swivel, the tek, Onomah left Cardiff's entire back four for dead and I was very nearly on the phone to the police to report it. Turning Sean Morrison and co. to stone, the composure Onomah showcased before stroking beyond Alex Smithies was nothing short of superb. Thierry Henry would've blushed, it was ice cold sorcery and I've become fond of watching opponents get sold for pennies at the mercy of Onomah's gifted, unforgiving swagger.

Hector's Fine Margins
Take nothing away from our offensive ranks, not a sausage, but without Micheal Hector out there fighting our corner at the back, the tone of this article could've been mildly depressing, I'll say that much. The Jamaica international's found his form just when we need it, just after the return he appeared a slight shadow of himself but now he's that hard-hitting, full-blooded authoritarian and we are truly lucky to have his reliable services on tap.

Pitting himself against Robert Glatzel, Hector didn't give an inch. Aerially, Cardiff's 6'4 striker was second best under the centre-half's domineering shadow and if the German opened his stride, he was duly shut down within a flash, no search warrant. Matching Cardiff's muscle was key, they target physical weaknesses and pray upon them with barrages of long balls and rangy throw ins although Hector ain't no chump, he's a defensive bossman that sticks to his own rules in big moments and small instances.

There's nothing innocuous about his heroic last-ditch challenge to thwart Glatzel. Bacuna's wild strike offset Marek Rodak and the stopper's improvised save bobbled into the attacker path. Reaching the ball was paramount, it was either that or conceding a certain penalty and just before the ball bobbled over the line, Hector scooped danger away by a whisker and banished the opener from materialising for the Bluebirds. Hector built a springboard for the Whites to pounce from and our battle would have been uphill if it wasn't for our trusty enforcer's damage-limiting exploits. All hail that magic bloody hat of his.

Neeskens Nets Another
We've known this for some while now, Neeskens Kebano is a verified baller and after months, even seasons on the sidelines, waiting for his chance to rubber-stamp his credentials on a regular basis, the intricate winger's hitting his unique potential in the first-team proper and it comes with a heaped side portion of proficiency. Side chops, step overs, shoulder dips, but there's definitely more to his skill set than what meets the eye.

Kebano's direct nature causes utter havoc and for that poor, unfortunate guy Bacuna, again, his evening was ruined by the 28-year-old's untraceable movement. He didn't rest, not for a second, and his intelligence with possession is beneficial to our cause in the final-third. Interchanging with Tom Cairney, Onomah and Harrison Reed (who was also otherworldly), Kebano surged into advantageous areas, setting the cat amongst the pigeons with virtually very touch he administered.

Can we also talk about 3 successful free-kicks in a row? 4 goals in 3 outings? Okay, If we must. Kebano's been binge watching David Beckham's best set-piece bits and I'm delighted to say he's now got enough material to release his own. Where is this technique coming from? He treats free-kicks like penalties, his stance and posture guarantees fruition and Smithies must've blinked as Kebano arced it into his net, it was over so swiftly and it dipped so perfectly. This rich vein of form he finds himself in spells deep trouble for fullbacks, whether they're on Cardiff's, Brentford's or Swansea City's books, it doesn't matter to him, his impact will spread them across the deck like room temperature Lurpak. That's all I'm here for.

No Choking Permitted
Tuesday evening was enlightening. It's given us a renewed optimism for Thursday with a two-goal barrier between us and the Bluebirds and we're entitled to gloat, but we have to be sure of ourselves. We cannot let our guard down at the penultimate hurdle. The pressure was supposedly on us in South Wales but now, with a somewhat comfortable margin to protect, we can't allow the weight of expectation to take its devastating toll.

Cardiff will be reeling after falling to a defeat at home and Harris will have his men gunning for a fightback, so Parker will have to prepare his camp for another 90-minute slug fest. Mind games will surface, nerves will shatter and Fulham's fortitude will be examined, make no mistake of that. Cardiff can play nasty, they can grind teams down and there's venom in their strike force – they don't need a lot to retaliate, a sniff is all it takes to land a substantial bite so caution, as it was before the first leg, must be observed.

We also require key members to turn up, too. We're 1 meeting away from Wembley Way once again, 180 minutes (disregarding extra time) from reaching the Premier League after a season's vacation and I'm taking to Cairney, to Hector, to Aleksandar Mitrovic in fact, I'm talking to all that wear black and white and I'm imploring them to bring their best offerings to the table. Brentford are faltering, Swansea are penetrable and Cardiff, as we've discovered, hate chasing the ball and shipping worldies. No choking permitted.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2020-07-28-five-thoughts-cardiff-city-0-2-fulham/

WhiteJC

Championship play-off final date: When is the Championship play-off final this year?
The Championship play-off semi-finals will be decided this week - but when is the play-off final?

This week sees the Championship play-off semi-final second legs unfold as Brentford, Swansea, Fulham and Cardiff battle it out for a place in the Premier League next season. In the first semi-final, Andre Ayew ensured Swansea would take a 1-0 advantage into the second leg against Brentford.

Cardiff, though, have the tougher task of overturning a 2-0 deficit against Fulham in the other semi-final.

But Bluebirds boss Neil Harris insists they are not out of the tie.

He said: "The first goal (on Thursday) is going to be vital.

"If Fulham get it then it's going be really difficult for us.

"Fulham are huge favourites now but we are capable, with the players and the camaraderie we've got, of scoring goals.

"We are capable of clawing this back. We have the right character and mentality."

When is the Championship play-off final?

The Championship play-off final will take place on Tuesday, August 4.

The showpiece will kick-off at 7.45pm at Wembley Stadium, London.

Fans can watch the action live on Sky Sports in the UK.

The winner of the match will join Leeds and West Brom in the Premier League next season.

Leeds return top-flight after a 16-year absence but manager Marcelo Bielsa refused to take all the credit.

"I've worked in football for 30 years and one title doesn't change a lot, the percentage of trophies I have," said Bielsa.

"What makes me happy is the fact I did this project with this group of players across two years.

"I am recognised in Leeds for this job, but honestly I think more than the capacity or the skill of my leadership what makes the difference in the promotion was the capacity of our players."

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1315633/championship-play-off-final-2020-when-is-brentford-swansea-fulham-cardiff

WhiteJC

Griffin Park: Can Brentford give ground perfect send-off by winning promotion through the play-offs?

The turnstiles at Griffin Park have already rattled for a final time. The Ealing Road terrace, usually a swelling mass of bodies on match days, stands empty.

However, the ground, Brentford's home since 1904, will host one final game on Wednesday night before the west London club move into a new stadium this summer.

Griffin Park could have a send-off to remember, with the Bees hosting Swansea City in the second leg of their Championship play-off semi-final, aiming to overturn a first-leg deficit.

Yet it will be a curtain call like no other, as no fans will be allowed to attend because of social distancing regulations during the coronavirus pandemic.

'Modern football is almost military precision'
Brentford had a chance to give their old home the ultimate farewell last week, but the Bees had their hopes of automatic promotion to the Premier League ended by visiting Barnsley's injury-time winner.

Victory in the last game of the regular campaign would have seen Brentford end their 73-year exile from England's top flight.

Instead, they were forced to settle for third place and a spot in the play-offs. The Bees trail the Swans 1-0 following Sunday's first leg in south Wales.

Billy Grant, a fan for 40 years and co-editor of the Beesotted podcast, says it is "horrible" to be missing out on the final game at Griffin Park.

"The fact is there are bigger things going on in the world at the moment and everyone has got to be safe," he told BBC Sport.

"We totally understand that. But I can't put it into words how frustrating it really is to not be there."

Griffin Park is one of the few old-school grounds left in English football, hemmed in by housing and retaining terracing - a rarity in the Championship in the days of all-seater stadiums since the dawn of the Premier League era.

Clubs usually have three seasons to remove terracing following promotion to the second tier, but the Bees were given dispensation by the authorities with their move to the Brentford Community Stadium on the horizon.

"The great thing is, when the game comes you and your mates will all be standing together," Grant added.

"It is a really social thing. The problem with modern football is it is almost military precision.

"You have got your seat and if anyone else wants to come they can't sit next to you or near you."

'It feels like a home'
Supporting a club is about the here and now, but also the memories created along the way.

Griffin Park has only hosted five full seasons of top-flight football in its 116-year history, with all but one of those coming before World War Two.

Most of Brentford's existence since then has been in the third and fourth tiers.

Grant and fellow supporter Ian Westbrook, who attended his first game in 1971, recall both the high points and the heartbreak of trips to Griffin Park.

They remember an FA Cup giant-killing of Manchester City in 1989, a League Cup victory over Everton in 2010 and the win over Preston in 2014 which sealed promotion to the Championship.

On the other hand, both men point to a penalty shootout defeat by Huddersfield in the play-offs in 1995 and the dramatic finale to the 2012-13 campaign, when the Bees lost out on automatic promotion after missing a stoppage-time penalty against Doncaster.

"I sit in a group of about 10 people for every game," Westbrook said. "It is all about sharing the experience.

"It's the whole thing - seeing certain people, friends you meet after the game, the routine and the familiarity.

"I have watched games on all four sides of the ground. It feels like a home really."

Unable to experience Griffin Park's atmosphere one last time, Grant will watch the encounter against Swansea with friends in a nearby pub.

"The whole pub will be singing like we're in the stadium but we're gutted we can't be there in the stadium to give them that extra push," he said.

Pubs 'on a football supporter's bucket list'
A compact ground brimming with atmosphere despite its capacity being under 13,000, Griffin Park is also famous for a non-footballing reason.

It is the only ground in the English league system to have a pub on every corner, something Brentford will not be able to replicate at their new stadium, which is squeezed in between railway lines and the M4 motorway.

Gerhard Peleschka, the landlord of The Griffin, on the south-west corner of the current ground, is optimistic his business' trade will not suffer following the club's move to Lionel Road, little over half a mile away.

"I think the amount of people will be very similar because people are creatures of habit," the Austria-born Brentford fan said.

"Since Brentford have been in the Championship we get the same away supporters coming back time after time because they are so happy to come in here."

Peleschka still expects to be busy before matches, with regulars dropping in for a drink before a short walk to Kew Bridge, but being quieter post-match will allow his pub to serve food to customers - something which has not been previously possible because of the numbers at the bar.

Add in the fact Premiership rugby union club London Irish will share the stadium with the Bees, and he is upbeat about his pub's future.

"The new stadium will be 17,500 capacity," he added. "There will be 5,000 more people coming and they will all want to eat and drink. Some avenues close down but another revenue stream opens up.

"Brentford is famous for the four pubs on the corner. Lots of people will still come and do it next season. It is on a football supporter's bucket list."

'I don't want to go down Braemar Road and see the ground not being there'
Brentford's reasons for the move are the usual given by clubs who upsize - the need for a larger capacity, more hospitality areas and facilities to increase non-matchday revenue in order to make the club sustainable.

The Bees still hope to host an event for fans at Griffin Park, depending on the government guidelines on gatherings and how they can be managed.

Parts of the old ground may be added to the new, with a proposal to convert old turnstiles on the Braemar Road and New Road stands into bar units for the new stadium.

With planning permission for more than 70 town houses on the site, Griffin Park will resemble what has become of Arsenal's old home Highbury, with a communal garden space where the pitch once lay.

"I am just hoping the club lets everyone go back once more just to walk around the ground," Westbrook said.

"Once the season is over and we've maybe made that final visit, I can't go to Braemar Road any more.

"I don't want to go down there and see the ground not being there."

Councillor Steve Curran, leader of Hounslow Council, is a resident on Braemar Road and says the area will still have history.

"I am sure fans will still come to say 'This was where Griffin Park used to be'," he said.

"When I come out of the house during the day you often you see fans coming to take pictures of the ground and have a look around.

"It will be sad but the new development is absolutely fantastic."

An analytical approach
With a low playing budget, the fact Brentford are in contention for promotion to the top flight is a remarkable achievement in itself.

Owner Matthew Benham introduced an analytical-based approach off the field, overseen by two co-directors of football, to make the most of their meagre resources in comparison to the Championship's more established clubs.

Revenue from players sales, including those of Neal Maupay to Brighton (£20m), Ezri Konsa to Aston Villa (£12m) and Chris Mepham to Bournemouth (£12m), has allowed the Bees to reinvest and punch above their weight.

If they do not go up through the play-offs, Premier League clubs will be circling to pick off forwards Said Benrahma, Bryan Mbeumo and Ollie Watkins - who have scored 57 goals between them this season.

"Our owner has this model in which we are much cleverer in targeting the right type of people to come to our club," Grant said.

"He doesn't want to go and start throwing money around like your bigger teams, hoping they'll make the right decisions and go up. Some clubs are in a perilous state financially.

"Fans have got confidence in the fact the club knows how to do it."

The last time supporters saw a home match in the flesh, they witnessed a 5-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday in March.

Head coach Thomas Frank is hopeful of creating one final hurrah against Swansea.

"My players will leave everything out there," the 46-year-old Dane said.

"We will do everything we can to make it one last magical moment at Griffin Park that can stay with the fans forever."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53574544

WhiteJC

Jake Bidwell: Swansea City defender wants 'the job done' on Brentford return

Swansea City defender Jake Bidwell says there will be no emotion when he returns to former club Brentford.

The Everton Academy product will be looking to help Swansea protect their 1-0 lead in Wednesday's Championship play-off semi final second leg and reach the Wembley final.

Though it will be the final game at Griffin Park, former Brentford skipper Bidwell has only one focus.

"I will be going there to get the job done with Swansea," Bidwell said.

"Obviously it is a bit surreal playing in the last game at Griffin Park but for me I am there with Swansea.

"I am there to do a job with Swansea and that is all my focus will be to go and get a result."

Brentford will bid farewell to their home for 116 years ahead of their move to the nearby newly-built Community Stadium.

Bidwell made more than 200 appearances for the Bees having joined the club as an 18-year-old from the youth set-up at Everton.

"From a personal point of view hopefully it will be another good memory for me on that ground," Bidwell added.

"It's strange the way football turns out sometimes but as I say I am going to do my best. There will certainly be no emotion involved.

"Of course there are a lot of people there behind the scenes, the backroom staff I have a lot of respect for, Matthew Benham, the owner, people like that.

"But I am there as a Swansea player, I am there to help them get a result. That is all ‪Wednesday night‬ is going to be about."

Southport-born Bidwell, 27, joined the Swans last summer from Queens Park Rangers and has made the left back or wing back spot his own.

He has no regrets about linking up with England Under-17 World Cup winning coach Steve Cooper, who is in his first club managerial role.

"He has been brilliant for me. Obviously the three years at QPR were not the best, we were fighting at the bottom of the table," Bidwell said.

"He has given me a new lease of life. We share ideas on how the game should be played, it has been a good fit.

"It took me a little bit of time to get used to it early on but for the club he has been great and he has given me a new energy which I think I needed."

Bidwell was part of the Brentford team beaten in the League One play-off final by Yeovil in 2013.

But he also has happy memories of his time with the Bees and playing at the ground from which they will move after Wednesday's tie.

"The day we got promoted from League One (in 2014) we beat Preston on Easter weekend," he said.

"To get promoted into the Championship was obviously an amazing weekend and also the day we beat Wigan on the last game of the season to get in to the Championship play-offs (in 2015).

"That was not quite as dramatic as ours was the other night (when Swansea overturned a five goal difference swing to make the play-offs) but still a great memory.

"Hopefully I will have one more to take away ‪on Wednesday night‬."

Bidwell stresses the Swans are taking nothing for granted after Andre Ayew's strike gave them victory at the Liberty Stadium, on Sunday. He described the tie as "finely balanced".

But if Bidwell can make it to a Wembley final, he will move closer to his ultimate ambition.

"Obviously when you leave an academy, the idea is to work your way back up. Every player's dream is to get back to the Premier League," he said.

"These opportunities don't come around very often. I will be looking to make the most of that ‪on Wednesday night‬ and hopefully take a step closer to reaching that."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53558845