watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I'd be tempted to play with three Cb's and a slightly deeper line in final

Started by General, July 31, 2020, 02:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

I've been writing a bit of a piece on research on an unpublished post similar to the Cardiff analysis I did, but, if truth be told, there's a lot less in it than people may think in a head to head/general performance over the season.

Away Brentford lose more, over the course of the season, 60 odd percent of their games see 1 goal, 0 goal

On their form away - they have drawn or been in a losing position in 16 of their 23 games (70%), whilst being in a winning position 7 times (30%) by half time.

There are also four players who score 85% of their goals.

It seems most teams have identified Bryan in particular as our weak side as was mentioned during commentary yesterday. That being said, it makes us A) vulnerable and B) less likely to play our game.

Rodak

Mawson   Hector   Ream

Christie                                Bryan

Reed          Onomah

Cairney

Kamara                 Mitrovic

Appreciate it's a novel idea, if people can explain it away then by all means do and obviously requires players to be fit and adjust to newish format, but I think it could play to our strengths and also Brentfords weaknesses/strengths. I'm just putting this out there as a potential alternative solution.

We need pace - Pontus Jansson isn't pacey. We need strength. We need to be defensively sound. Having three at the back who are all experienced and have quality, whilst also giving more confidence to Bryan and Christie to be attacking outlets (bryan has 8 assists to date). Putting Hector in the middle as he has pace out of the three.

Feel free to scrap if you think a stupid idea.

Would require disciplined back three admittedly.. have seen Ream get pulled out of position a couple of times to date.

Fulham33

I have given serious consideration to the same scenario but with Odoi for Mawson and Knockaert for Kamara (to start).
For all Knockaert's faults - you can't fault his effort and willingness to do defensive duties.

It also gives formation/many attacking options on the bench for when Brentford tire.

Glad I am not the manager.

I do dream of AK47 scoring the winner and totally cementing his return to the fold.

FTID

General

Quote from: Fulham33 on July 31, 2020, 03:15:25 PM
I have given serious consideration to the same scenario but with Odoi for Mawson and Knockaert for Kamara (to start).
For all Knockaert's faults - you can't fault his effort and willingness to do defensive duties.

It also gives formation/many attacking options on the bench for when Brentford tire.

Glad I am not the manager.

I do dream of AK47 scoring the winner and totally cementing his return to the fold.

FTID

Kamara looked sharp yesterday and chomping at the bit. I also think he's been used sparingly so may have the energy to last the full 90.

I agree Knocky is a handful, but he's low on confidence at the moment and not producing the end result enough which means he's a bit more limited in terms of effectiveness and how opposition see him as a threat. He also hasn't scored since January and hasn't made an assist since February - so 10 games since any knowingly meaningful game changing contribution.. Weirdly enough Cavaleiro's last assist/goal contribution came in the same game 10 games ago against Preston, but he hasn't scored since November.

Apparently Kamara, before the Wigan game was out injured for 8 games, which before in the previous four games he had scored one and set up two. He also hit the post and hit a shot yesterday which had their GK smithies have to pull of a very good save to keep out.

Odoi is a good shout, although he's had a red card and been a red card liability he has only lost seven games this season and has pace and a maturity to his game (most of the time), which could be an added benefit on a bigger pitch and against a pacey attack. Plus he may have a point to prove having been sent off against Aston Villa. He's also good in the air and from set pieces - in both boxes.

[email protected]

lomotd

Quote from: Godalming White on July 31, 2020, 03:57:47 PM
I thought Swansea tried 3 at the back the other night?

I was just going to say the same, it didn't work. Centre backs always thought someone else would pick up any attacker, leaving Brentford lots of space to move into. Too risky for us, especially as untried.

General

Quote from: Godalming White on July 31, 2020, 03:57:47 PM
I thought Swansea tried 3 at the back the other night?

You're right they did, but they also did the same in the game they won 1-0.. Swansea also made a few changes for their second leg, which may have contributed to their undoing.. They played 3,4,1,2 in the match they lost and 3,4,3 in the game they won against Brentford's 4-3-3.

General

If not that, then perhaps a 3-4-3 - think our most potent attacking players would be Mitro, Kebano and Kamara as others have mentioned on a different thread. All have something different, whilst Kebano and Kamara also have pace.

fulhamben

Absolutely not. Brentford devastated  Swansea when they had 3 at the back. And why on gods earth would you switch to a relatively unknown system to us in the last most important game of the season.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

love4ffc

My humble opinion is that our back line just is not strong enough for only three at the back.  I understand that the wing backs of possibly Christie and Bryan or Odoi and Bryan, could at times make it 5 in the back.  My fear though as stated above, is that no one would pick up the player making the run out of the middle as the CB's would think someone else was always picking them up. 

For me it would be stick with the same back four of Christie, Hector, Ream and Bryan.  Have Reed sitting in front of them to keep pressure of the middle. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

filham

A Wembley final is not the place to try new tactics and bringing Mawson in with no post Lockdown match time is risky inthe extreme.
We have to continue with our usual tactics using the three most fit strikers from Mitro, Kebano, Kamara, Knock., and Reid.

Fulham33

I like the idea of holding them and having match winners on the bench. (possibly Mitro and/or AK47). Risky strategy I grant you.
We have had a tendency to start games slowly - not a luxury we can afford on Tuesday.

The first goal will be very important against the Bees.
If we have to chase they have the ability to crucify us on the break.
If we score first the stats say we rarely lose.

Last time we were blatantly nowhere near a match fit squad and tired badly - different story now.
Bookies have us a poor second and although Brentford may be favourite I don't think we are that far behind.
It's a pretty even 2 horse race (in my book) and I hope whichever formation/selection/strategy is chosen it proves successful.

Not being there is a huge downer for us all - I was there in 75 and again against Villa

COYW

Finnans Right Peg

Do not think its the time to mess around with the formation lets stick to what got us into the final .

COYW

Brawn

I suspect we may do what we have done for most of this season and play Odoi as a centre-back role, in a right/left back position.

GK 12 M Rodak

RB 4 D Odoi
RCB 3 M Hector
LCB 13 T Ream
LB 23 J Bryan

RCDM 21 H Reed
LCDM 18 H Arter

RAM 24 A Knockaert
CAM 25 J Onomah
LAM 7 N Kebano

ST 9 A Mitrovic

Subs:
1 M Bettinelli
6 K McDonald
8 S Johansen
10 T Cairney
14 B Decordova-Reid
19 I Cavaleiro
22 C Christie
43 S Sessegnon
47 A Kamara

Twig

Quote from: filham on July 31, 2020, 05:00:19 PM
A Wembley final is not the place to try new tactics and bringing Mawson in with no post Lockdown match time is risky inthe extreme.
We have to continue with our usual tactics using the three most fit strikers from Mitro, Kebano, Kamara, Knock., and Reid.

This

hongkongfulham

Quote from: Twig on July 31, 2020, 09:49:55 PM

This

Also tend to agree. Our best chance in this game will be keeping the ball and not allowing it to turn into a basketball match

AnOldBrownie

082.gif

The Rational Fan

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 01, 2020, 02:56:03 AM

082.gif

I rate Mawson, but hasn't played in half a year and cannot start today. We need to stick with our current tactics that probably give us about even money chance of going up, new tactics would be worse than even chance. Although, next season we should use three at the back more, and maybe get another CB and LWB to do so.

MikeCdawg

Whilst i somewhat agree with OP. i think we should just play our game. We've been there and done it at this stage 2 years ago and this is uncharted territory for brentford so the nerves will be greater on their side. Added to the nerves comes pressure of them being favourites. When they beat us at the cottage i think we just had an off day. Overall i think we're a better team than the bees. If, and it's a big if, all 11 of our players remain calm and focused, i think we will stroll to victory

My question is, do you all think this would be a better achievement than the 2018 success? Being that we're slight underdogs

toshes mate

As Jokanovic was a great pains to demonstrate during his time with us the whole strength of a flank depends upon the partnerships that make that flank work.  It is the same issue for either or both flanks and does not necessarily relate to the individual skill rating of the players concerned, but if either flank is weak then the whole becomes unbalanced.  In Jokanovic's time the irritants were the departures of Malone and Aluko (i.e. both flanks disrupted) and then the lack of a good partnership between Sessegnon R and A.N.Other until Targett came along.  During those period we struggled more than we did when the solutions were identified and consolidated. 

Parker has, IMO, failed to find long term solutions on either flank throughout the whole season.  The right side still fails to spark a variety of potential outcomes regardless of who plays but tends to defend better no matter who plays.  The left side is potent on the attack with Bryan but is much weaker defensively especially when opponents attack Ream at the same time.  And the problem with weak flanks is that the issues spill over into the the more central midfield areas when shape collapses.  Brentford have pace in abundance on both flanks and two good full backs, which allows their central attackers and midfielders to cause chaos from the openings created.  Like all teams Brentford's ups and downs are largely dictated by how many chances are converted, although I cannot five you a definitive stat to prove it but then again I wouldn't want to.  Eyes and mind are much better.