more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our Previous two meetings with Brentford and why it's different now

Started by The Rock, July 31, 2020, 04:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock

I find myself noting some positive conclusions:

We've seen the best they've got and they were hitting on all cylinders when we played them. We lacked confidence in December, and started very slow after the Covid Break. We are now in form.

Both games we had Mitro. Nothing against Mitro, but more we were "predictable".   

Onomah and Christie weren't even on the pitch in our last meeting. Josh has been perhaps the best player on the pitch. Kebano if fit is a different player these last few games and grown into a starter. Kamara is fit. All these players are almost unrecognisable vs. the form they had been showing for our last meetings (if fit). Brentford hasn't yet faced this current side/set up. This can be an advantage.

I think we are better than either of the times we met during the season. We are more structured and look to have a different style and have adapted. While they've lost 3 of 4, I'd expect them to be sharp and consistent, but not improved from our league meetings.

If they can't sort out our new look side, we will win.

filham

Wish we had the extra days recovery that they have and wish we were scoring goals more freely, only one again last night at the Cottage.

Riversider

They had one of their best players,  Bryan Mbeumo, missing last time we played them.

WindyCity

OP raises some good points.  But, it still doesn't erase a season of inconsistent play from FFC.  The so-called 'on paper' roster should have had FFC top two and the bet line at seasons' start also had FFC top two.  I really want to see FFC go up here, but if they don't they only need look in the mirror to see why they remain in the Champ.  So many dropped points early in the campaign and just poor shows v weaker opponents. 

That said, I think FFC looks a bit more solid and offensively minded sans Mitro.  My belief is if he's fit, Parker will have him starting, so we're right back to the 'old' FFC which Brentford seemed to easily solve.  Slow build up, possession, you know the drill.  Not sure how we  compete even with the new and improved Onomah, Kebano, Christie et al. 

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Riversider on July 31, 2020, 05:10:02 PM
They had one of their best players,  Bryan Mbeumo, missing last time we played them.

Meh.   He's been average since the game he missed against us.   

The game they played against us is December, that game they looked good enough to win our league.   Good ball movement...kept running at us...  first goal scored when they bodied Mawson and he slipped...freeing up their attack... 

As long as we start Christie and not Odoi, I'm confident we have a 50-50 chance of walking away with a win.   They can be good...and they can also be average.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: WindyCity on July 31, 2020, 05:26:01 PM
OP raises some good points.  But, it still doesn't erase a season of inconsistent play from FFC.  The so-called 'on paper' roster should have had FFC top two and the bet line at seasons' start also had FFC top two.  I really want to see FFC go up here, but if they don't they only need look in the mirror to see why they remain in the Champ.  So many dropped points early in the campaign and just poor shows v weaker opponents. 

That said, I think FFC looks a bit more solid and offensively minded sans Mitro. My belief is if he's fit, Parker will have him starting, so we're right back to the 'old' FFC which Brentford seemed to easily solve.  Slow build up, possession, you know the drill.  Not sure how we  compete even with the new and improved Onomah, Kebano, Christie et al.

I don't get this glass half empty post.  It's a bloody one off game.    We're not playing Liverpool and Man City.   We're playing a team that recently lost to Barnesly, Stoke and Swansea.

So what if Mitro starts?    Hopefully, if he does he will have watched how unselfishly BDR played the #9 position and replicate it.    Hopefully we're not blindly crossing ball into a double marked Mitro and ignoring the fact that he's double marked.

Christie starting instead of Odoi is huge imo.    Ream and Hector being in form is also huge.   Reed being healthy...also huge.

F...  Brentford.   If we lose we lose.   They aren't some amazing side that the lowly likes of Fulham shouldn't be able to beat.

WindyCity

Haha, touched a nerve, eh AOB?  (I think my post was just to highlight the difference between the old and new FFC as put out by the OP.)  Lots of ifs in your proposal, and FFC has played the same way all season long with Mitro in the lineup.  I don't see how that changes much in this one-off match.  Brentford was the one team most in this forum did not want to face in the playoffs.  If FFC didn't grab the second spot, most here hoped Brentford would have.  Not saying FFC can't win this game.  We surely can.  Hopefully Kebano is fit.  He along with Onomah, Christie and Kamara have been really good in contributing to the offense.  Fingers crossed for a winning result.  COYW!

alfie

Quote from: filham on July 31, 2020, 04:52:08 PM
Wish we had the extra days recovery that they have and wish we were scoring goals more freely, only one again last night at the Cottage.
1 goal in last 30 seconds will do.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Arthur

Quote from: WindyCity on July 31, 2020, 05:54:18 PM
If FFC didn't grab the second spot, most here hoped Brentford would have.

I didn't hope it and my guess would be nor would most Whites fans. I'd rather take the chance of beating them next week and their not going up at all.

Fulham Joe

How the world has changed since Brexit and Covid 19.
Fulham fans saying they are the underdogs against Brentford.

rebel

I'd go for out and out attack, Kebano, Mitro and Kamara up front.

General

Quote from: Riversider on July 31, 2020, 05:10:02 PM

Not when we lost 1-0 in December. He's also been a bit off former recently.. not that he's not a risk.

Fernhurst

At 3/1 I'm having a £20 pound note on our team and there will 5 of us blokes in our family bubble roaring them home.

COME ON YOU LILLIES!!
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

S.F.Sorrow

I hate to say it but I've been very impressed with the way Brentford have been playing this season. They may have not have a better squad than us in theory but they play nicer football and simply look like a much better team. They are huge favourites for a reason. Of course we can beat them but I'm not very optimistic to be honest.

Penfold

Quote from: alfie on July 31, 2020, 06:05:48 PM
Quote from: filham on July 31, 2020, 04:52:08 PM
1 goal in last 30 seconds will do.

Sounds great. My blood pressure wouldn't agree 😂