more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 01/08/20...

Started by WhiteJC, August 01, 2020, 09:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Members News: Cyrus Is Now Wembley Bound With Fulham

The Association sends its congratulations to our member, 'Cov.Kid' former Sky Blue defender Cyrus Christie for earning a Wembley date with current club Fulham in the Championship Play Off Semi Finals. Last night the Cottagers, with Cyrus on the pitch for the Bluebirds the whole ninety minute, lost their their second leg game with Cardiff City 2-1 at Craven Cottage to go through 3-2 on aggregate having won the first leg in Wales 2-0. Fulham's aggregate victory sets up an all-west London final at Wembley next Tuesday against Brentford (who also beat south Wales opposition in Swansea City). If Fulham make it all the way it will be deja vu for Cyrus as he went up to the Premier League with the Lillywhites the season he joined them from Midlesbrough for an undisclosed fee in January 2018.

Cyrus started his professional career at CCFC coming up through our youth set up and debuting for the Sky Blues in August 2010. By the time he left for Derby County in July 2014 he had scored four goals in 119 appearances for City. Staing eith the Rams for three seasons Cyrus moved to Middlesbro for the 2017-18 season. Since 2014 the 27 year old has also won 24 caps (2) goals for the Republic of Ireland.

Good luck Cyrus in the Wembley Final – remember, if things don't go Fulham's way we will likely see you next season in Championship fixtures against the Sky Blues!

http://www.ccfpa.co.uk/?p=59179

WhiteJC

Derby County old boy closes in on Premier League return

Fulham will take on West London rivals Brentford in the Sky Bet Championship play-off final at Wembley

Former Derby County defender Cyrus Christie is 90 minutes away from a return to the Premier League with Fulham.

Christie helped Scott Parker's side book a place in the Sky Bet Championship play-off final last night, as they edged past Cardiff City.

Fulham lost the second leg of their semi-final tie 2-1 at Craven Cottage but went through 3-2 on aggregate.

That sets up a final showdown against West London rivals Brentford at Wembley on Tuesday.

Neeskens Kebano's fifth goal in four games ultimately proved enough for Fulham, with Curtis Nelson and Lee Tomlin on target for Cardiff.

And after a nerve-wracking and gritty finale on Thursday, manager Parker admitted Fulham will need plenty more steel to beat Brentford.

"We'll need the ingredient I saw at times tonight, and that ingredient is a real mentality about you, that when the going gets tough; technical ability, what qualities you have, go right out the window," said Parker.

"There's always points in football matches that have nothing to do with tactics, nothing to do with technique, and are all a mindset and an understanding of the moment.

"It becomes an understanding that 'I need something to fall back on', and tonight was a prime example of that in the second half.

"In the first half our technical ability, our shape, our precision and tactics all had us in a good position. But the second half had nothing to do with that.

"And it was that moment that was not about quality or technique or ability, it was about just doing what you've got to do to win a football match, get through this game, and we did that.

"That's constantly my message to this team. And that's what we'll need again in the final.

"Overall we've got ourselves to the final, which is an incredible achievement in terms of a long drawn out season, the 48th game that was tonight.

"The goal was to get to the final and we have done that. The performance and where we were was tough. Cardiff made it very difficult for us, come here like a wounded animal after the first leg and had nothing to lose, in that sense.

"You see the difference between the two teams, a bit of an edginess to us, while goals change that equation.

"They had nothing to lose. We sensed that, the way they play they constantly put you under pressure from all over the pitch.

"Brentford are a very good side, we're playing against a very good side and we understand that."

Christie has made 29 appearances in all competitions for Fulham this season.

The Cottagers are looking to clinch an immediate return to the top flight, having been relegated last term.

Cardiff boss Neil Harris admitted his dejection that his side had not turned the tide from their 2-0 first-leg deficit and inched through to the final themselves.

"I'm disappointed we haven't got through, I've got to be honest," said Harris.

"I had the belief still coming here tonight that we could get the win and go through. Most people didn't but I know the capabilities of the group.

"If we'd got one more goal we would have gone on and won it. We were written off the other night, which I wasn't happy with, but we've bounced back again.

"I wanted us to chase the game, in our own manner. And the players deserve the credit for how far we've come."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-brentford-play-off-final-4381575

WhiteJC

Scott Parker urges Fulham to show more steel against Brentford in play-off final

Scott Parker believes Fulham will need to repeat the hard-nosed mental "ingredient" that saw them past Cardiff to beat Brentford and reach the Premier League.

Fulham lost 2-1 in the Championship play-off semi-final second leg at Craven Cottage on Thursday night, but still reached the final 3-2 on aggregate.

Neeskens Kebano's fifth goal in four games was enough for Fulham to seal their place in the play-off final, with Curtis Nelson and Lee Tomlin on target for luckless Cardiff.

And after a nerve-wracking and gritty finale on Thursday, manager Parker admitted Fulham will need plenty more steel to beat local rivals Brentford at Wembley on Tuesday.

"We'll need the ingredient I saw at times tonight, and that ingredient is a real mentality about you, that when the going gets tough; technical ability, what qualities you have, go right out the window," said Parker.

"There's always points in football matches that have nothing to do with tactics, nothing to do with technique, and are all a mindset and an understanding of the moment.

"It becomes an understanding that 'I need something to fall back on', and tonight was a prime example of that in the second half.

"In the first half our technical ability, our shape, our precision and tactics all had us in a good position. But the second half had nothing to do with that.

"And it was that moment that was not about quality or technique or ability, it was about just doing what you've got to do to win a football match, get through this game, and we did that.

"That's constantly my message to this team. And that's what we'll need again in the final.

"Overall we've got ourselves to the final, which is an incredible achievement in terms of a long drawn out season, the 48th game that was tonight.

"The goal was to get to the final and we have done that. The performance and where we were was tough. Cardiff made it very difficult for us, come here like a wounded animal after the first leg and had nothing to lose, in that sense.

"You see the difference between the two teams, a bit of an edginess to us, while goals change that equation.

"They had nothing to lose. We sensed that, the way they play they constantly put you under pressure from all over the pitch.

"Brentford are a very good side, we're playing against a very good side and we understand that."

Cardiff boss Neil Harris admitted his dejection that his side had not turned the tide from their 2-0 first-leg deficit and inched through to the final themselves.

"I'm disappointed we haven't got through, I've got to be honest," said Harris.

"I had the belief still coming here tonight that we could get the win and go through. Most people didn't but I know the capabilities of the group.

"If we'd got one more goal we would have gone on and won it. We were written off the other night, which I wasn't happy with, but we've bounced back again.

"I wanted us to chase the game, in our own manner. And the players deserve the credit for how far we've come."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/scott-parker-urges-fulham-to-show-more-steel-against-brentford-in-play-off-final-1596146369000

WhiteJC

Rovers connections as Fulham join Brentford in the final

Scott Parker believes Fulham will need to repeat the hard-nosed mental "ingredient" that saw them past Cardiff to beat Brentford and reach the Premier League.

Fulham lost 2-1 in the Championship play-off semi-final second leg at Craven Cottage on Thursday night, but still reached the final 3-2 on aggregate.

Neeskens Kebano's fifth goal in four games was enough for Fulham to seal their place in the play-off final, with Curtis Nelson and Lee Tomlin on target for Cardiff.

And after a nerve-wracking and gritty finale on Thursday, manager Parker admitted Fulham will need plenty more steel to beat local rivals Brentford at Wembley on Tuesday.

"We'll need the ingredient I saw at times, and that ingredient is a real mentality about you, that when the going gets tough; technical ability, what qualities you have, go right out the window," said Parker.

"It becomes an understanding that 'I need something to fall back on', and this was a prime example of that in the second half.

Meanwhile, Frank vowed to celebrate Brentford reaching the Championship play-off final, but insisted the job is not done yet.

The Bees beat Swansea 3-1 in the final game at Griffin Park to move a step closer to the Premier League. Brentford overturned Swansea's one-goal lead from the first leg within the first 15 minutes through goals from Ollie Watkins and Emiliano Marcondes.

Bryan Mbeumo added the third just after half-time before Rhian Brewster to make it a nervous last 15 minutes the hosts.

Rovers would be due a promotion bonus should the Bees clinch promotion in the deal that took goalkeeper David Raya to Brentford last summer. The Spaniard will come up against former Rovers team-mates Harrison Reed and Tom Cairney who were both part of the Cottagers side who made it to Wembley.

Frank said: "We were very irritated after the game over there. My adrenaline never stopped until after this game.

"We talked about not coming off the pitch without reaching the final. The message was we needed to start faster than we ever had before and we did that.

"It was nervy. At 3-0 we should just ease through, or potentially score the fourth goal. We made a mistake we shouldn't make.

"Of course I'm extremely pleased and happy. It's a very nice moment. I will celebrate with a glass of red because we have achieved something good. But we will go to the final to win it.

"We have had a very good season, the best in modern times at Brentford. I'm proud of the players. We will go into the final with momentum and massive belief, and leave everything out there."

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18619658.rovers-connections-fulham-join-brentford-final/

WhiteJC

Championship play-off final 2020: How much money the winner of Brentford vs Fulham could earn with promotion
Each Premier League club gets a healthy slice of a revenue pie worth £9.3bn – not to mention increased sponsorship opportunities

Brentford are looking to achieve promotion to the Premier League for the first time (Photo: PA)

The Championship play-off final is known as "the richest game of football" – and with good reason.

Not only does the winner guarantee themselves a place in the Premier League, but they also stand to make an absolute fortune too, even in an economy bludgeoned by Covid-19.

Brentford were in possession of two golden tickets granting entry to the Premier League but allowed each to slip through their fingers by losing to struggling Stoke and Barnsley. They now have a third after a thrilling 3-2 aggregate victory over Swansea booked their place in the final.

It could have been a south Wales derby, but instead, it is an all-London affair as Fulham reached their second play-off final in three years by the same aggregate scoreline over Cardiff City. A twinkle-toed run from Josh Onomah and inch-perfect free-kick from Neeskens Kebano in the first leg all but secured the Cottagers' passage, although it was not without a few nerves as the Welsh side won 2-1 at Craven Cottage, not quite enough to see them through.

For Brentford, victory at Wembley would see them start life in their new Community Stadium as a top-flight side for the first time in 73 years, while Fulham will be desperate to show that lessons have been learned from their disastrous one-season stay in the Premier League in 2018-19.

How much is the Championship play-off final worth?
The Premier League earned approximately £9.3bn from domestic and overseas broadcasting revenue for the three-year cycle starting in 2019-20 and ending in 2021-22.

Each Premier League club gets a healthy slice of that revenue pie worth approximately £100m per club, significantly more than what is on offer in the Championship.

"To be part of that [the Premier League broadcast deal] compared to the EFL deal which is worth around about £7m per year for a non-parachute club is critical," football finance expert and lecturer at the University of Liverpool Kieran Maguire tells i. "We're looking at about £100m for a club that is going to be bottom three or four in terms of televised matches."

On top of broadcast revenue, promoted clubs are also guaranteed a minimum of two years worth of parachute payments which equates to around £70m, hence the "£170m match" tag for the play-off final. Promotion would be even more lucrative for Brentford as they have not been in receipt of parachute payments having never been in the Premier League.

Fulham banked a parachute payment of around £41m for 2019-20 after succumbing to relegation and are entitled to a second year should they fail to beat Brentford. For promoted clubs who survive their first campaign in the Premier League like Sheffield United and Aston Villa this term, there is a further safety net in place.

By staying in the Premier League, it automatically gives you a third year of parachute payments should you come down next season, so there's that benefit," says Maguire. "For Villa to maintain their position they get the Premier League deal, they get the sponsorship deals and the chance to keep Jack Grealish."

No wonder Dean Smith looked so pleased after Sunday's 1-1 draw with West Ham sealed a 17th-place finish.

Promoted clubs also see a hike in sponsorship income, either through bonuses from existing sponsors or through lucrative deals with new investors. Leeds United announced a "record-breaking" five-year deal with Adidas last week shortly after being confirmed as Championship champions.

This week the government set out a target date of 1 October for supporters to be allowed back in stadiums at a vastly reduced capacity. Clubs have and will continue to suffer from a loss of matchday revenue with limited or no attendance in the stands, but as Maguire explains to i, that will barely impact those in the top-flight.

"TV and sponsorship money will, to some extent, more than mitigate for the loss of matchday income which for many clubs in the Premier League is their smallest revenue earner overall," he says.

"If you look at the Championship, there are clubs such as Sheffield Wednesday where matchday income is 40 per cent of their total so, therefore, they're going to be hit more."

Getting into the Premier League is one thing but staying there and maximising earning potential is another. As Maguire tells i: "If you drop out of the Premier League into the Championship, you're jumping off a cliff financially."

All things considered then, even in these potentially bleak financial times, the Championship play-off final remains the most lucrative in the game.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/championship-play-off-final-prize-money-premier-league-2020-565622

WhiteJC

Scott Parker determined to get Aleksandar Mitrovic fit for Fulham promotion decider

Scott Parker says he will do all he can to ensure top scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic is fit to help fire Fulham to the Premier League in next week's Championship play-off final.

Fulham had to battle to set up an all-London showdown with Brentford at Wembley on Tuesday, with their classy display on Monday ensuring that last night's second-leg defeat by Cardiff did not stop them from reaching their goal.

Mitrovic, who won the Championship Golden Boot with 26 goals, has been nursing a slight hamstring problem which ruled him out of both legs of the semi-final but Parker is optimistic his talisman will be back for the final.

"I'm hopeful," said Parker. "He was close last night but not good enough. It would have been a massive risk.

"We pushed and pushed, and the medical team did everything they could but he wasn't ready. So it would have been too great a risk to involve him.

"He'll be working now over the next few days and we'll just do everything we can to try to have him ready."

An early Curtis Nelson goal for the visitors set the tone for the night as Fulham's aggregate lead was halved after eight minutes. Neeskens Kebano scored just 24 seconds after play had resumed to pull Fulham level but they could not kick on as Neil Harris's side bombarded and frustrated them.

Lee Tomlin scored two minutes after coming on at the start of the second half to cut Fulham's aggregate lead to just one goal but despite near constant

pressure and some significant scares, Parker's side survived to move within 90 minutes of a return to the Premier League at the first time of asking.

Parker has built a side who are at their best playing an attractive, free-flowing brand of football, but they had to cast that aside in the second half last night as they rolled up their sleeves and battled to the finish. Parker said: "We'll need the ingredient I saw at times last night, and that ingredient is a real mentality about you that when the going gets tough, technical ability goes out the window.

[img width-500]https://static.standard.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2020/07/30/22/fulhamcardiff300720-4.jpg?w530[/img]
Marching on: Fulham booked their place in the Play-Off Final on Thursday night (Getty Images)

"There are points in matches that are about an understanding of the moment. It becomes an understanding that 'I need something to fall back on', and last night was a prime example of that. That's what we'll need again in the final."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/scott-parker-aleksandar-mitrovic-fit-fulham-promotion-decider-a4513391.html

WhiteJC

Championship play-off final: Scott Parker calls on Fulham to show mental strength against Brentford

Neeskens Kebano's fifth goal in four games was enough for Fulham to seal their place in the play-off final

Fulham manager Scott Parker on the touchline ( Reuters )

Scott Parker believes Fulham will need to repeat the hard-nosed mental "ingredient" that saw them past Cardiff to beat Brentford and reach the Premier League. Fulham lost 2-1 in the Championship play-off semi-final second leg at Craven Cottage on Thursday night, but still reached the final 3-2 on aggregate.

Neeskens Kebano's fifth goal in four games was enough for Fulham to seal their place in the play-off final, with Curtis Nelson and Lee Tomlin on target for luckless Cardiff. And after a nerve-wracking and gritty finale on Thursday, manager Parker admitted Fulham will need plenty more steel to beat local rivals Brentford at Wembley on Tuesday.

"We'll need the ingredient I saw at times tonight, and that ingredient is a real mentality about you, that when the going gets tough; technical ability, what qualities you have, go right out the window," said Parker. "There's always points in football matches that have nothing to do with tactics, nothing to do with technique, and are all a mindset and an understanding of the moment.

"It becomes an understanding that 'I need something to fall back on', and tonight was a prime example of that in the second half. In the first half our technical ability, our shape, our precision and tactics all had us in a good position. But the second half had nothing to do with that. And it was that moment that was not about quality or technique or ability, it was about just doing what you've got to do to win a football match, get through this game, and we did that.

"That's constantly my message to this team. And that's what we'll need again in the final. Overall we've got ourselves to the final, which is an incredible achievement in terms of a long drawn out season, the 48th game that was tonight. The goal was to get to the final and we have done that. The performance and where we were was tough. Cardiff made it very difficult for us, come here like a wounded animal after the first leg and had nothing to lose, in that sense.

"You see the difference between the two teams, a bit of an edginess to us, while goals change that equation. They had nothing to lose. We sensed that, the way they play they constantly put you under pressure from all over the pitch. Brentford are a very good side, we're playing against a very good side and we understand that."

"I'm disappointed we haven't got through, I've got to be honest," said Harris. "I had the belief still coming here tonight that we could get the win and go through. Most people didn't but I know the capabilities of the group. If we'd got one more goal we would have gone on and won it. We were written off the other night, which I wasn't happy with, but we've bounced back again.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/championship-playoff-fulham-brentford-scott-parker-latest-news-a9647596.html

WhiteJC

Talking Points: Cardiff Second Leg

Mitro playing the role of chief cheerleader is our favourite Talking Point from Thursday's Second Leg clash with Cardiff City.

1. Head cheerleader

Aleksandar Mitrović was again not risked for the game, but he was there in the Johnny Haynes Stand – along with Harry Arter – to cheer his teammates on. Literally. The big man did not stop barking encouragement from the first whistle to the last, whether it was "Come on boys!" or trying to pick someone up, i.e. "Next time Anthony, next time!" after Knockaert saw an effort saved. Just when you thought you couldn't love Mitro anymore...

2. Peak Abou

We've seen glimpses of classic Aboubakar Kamara since his return from injury, but a half-time introduction gave him more time to show what he's all about. Thursday was the closest he's gone to scoring since getting fit, with Alex Smithies pulling off two fantastic saves to deny him. Both were thunderbolts from distance, with the Cardiff stopper getting a strong hand to the first, before getting down brilliantly to push the next one onto the post a minute later.

3. Critical from Christie

Much was made of Marek Rodák's fine double save in the 72nd minute, and rightly so, but in between there was an absolutely crucial block from Cyrus Christie. Curtis Nelson had looked set to tuck the ball in after Rodák had denied Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, but Christie put his body on the line to repel the danger and keep Fulham ahead on aggregate.

4. Kebano's misfortune

Neeskens Kebano is the form player in the division, having netted five times in three-and-a-half games. He's peaking at just the right time, so it was a blow to see him depart the action at the midway point. Everyone associated with Fulham will be hoping it was precautionary and that he's fighting fit for the Play-Off Final on Tuesday.

5. Consecutive Wembley appearances

It's always a special occasion to walk out at Wembley Stadium, with Scott Parker describing reaching the Final as "an incredible achievement." Fulham fans know better than most how difficult it is to bounce back from Premier League relegation at the first time of asking, and so seeing us compete in the Championship showpiece event for the second consecutive year that we've been in the division, is certainly something to applaud.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/july/31/talking-points-cardiff-city-second-leg

WhiteJC

Parker praises grit shown by Fulham to get over the line to land a slot at Wembley

Scott Parker hailed his side's resilience after they came through a searching examination to book a place in the Championship play-off final.

They had to endure a torrid second half against a robust Cardiff who threw the kitchen sink at them in an attempt to force extra time.

In the end, the Whites were just happy to hold on to a 2-1 defeat to progress 3-2 on aggregate – setting up a Wembley final against Brentford on Tuesday in a west London derby.

"When the going gets tough, there are some points in football matches when technical ability, the sort of player you are, what qualities you have, the skills, whatever they are, go right out of the window," said Fulham's head coach.

"There's always points in matches which are nothing to do with tactics, nothing to do with technique...it's to do with a mindset and that was a prime example tonight.

"They [Cardiff City] constantly put you under pressure because they can put the ball in the box from all over the pitch and at times we didn't deal with that well enough. I think we recognise that. 

"In the end, though, it was about mentality. It was roll-your-sleeves-up, you need to do all you can because at the end of it is a massive prize.

"It's the final we all wanted - to have an opportunity to try and get into the big league and in those moments you've got to have a desperation to do all you can. Big players have to step up. Marek Rodak made some very good saves to keep us in it."

He added: "To get to the final is an incredible achievement. The goal was just to get to the final and we've done that. I think the performance tonight and where we were was tough. Cardiff made it very difficult for us.

"They came here with nothing to lose and you could see that difference between the two teams. There was a bit of an edginess to us and their goals changed the complexity in terms of when they were scored.

Parker was proud but relieved more than euphoric – in stark contrast to the elation demonstrated by celebrating Brentford players the night before in their semi-final.

He is mindful that nothing has been won and that the toughest test awaits against a side who beat the Whites twice in the regular season.

"Brentford are a very good side," he said. "In this league, you always need to step up. You need to produce performances. We're playing a very good side, we understand that. 

"It was a good result for them last night coming off the back of three defeats. But a final's a final. Form goes out of the window. We'll go into this game fully prepared. We'll dust ourselves off, regroup and go from there."

Aleksandar Mitrovic was missed last night. It will be touch and go whether he is fit enough to play a part in Tuesday's final but Parker is optimistic.

"We're hopeful. He was close tonight," he said. "The medical team did all they could, we pushed and pushed but tonight he just wasn't ready. We have a few days and we'll do all we can to get him out there."

https://www.capitalfootball.co.uk/single-post/2020/07/31/Parker-praises-grit-shown-by-Fulham-to-get-over-the-line-to-land-a-slot-at-Wembley

WhiteJC

Next Up: Fulham

West London derby confirmed for Play-Off Final

Brentford's 2019/20 Sky Bet Championship season will finally end on Tuesday evening, 367 days after it started. The Bees kicked off the campaign on 3 August 2019 with a defeat to Birmingham City. On Tuesday, 4 August, the final game of the campaign will be the Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Final at Wembley Stadium and Brentford will face Fulham with the winner taking a place in the Premier League.

Brentford beat Swansea City in their Play-Off Semi-Final, winning 3-1 at Griffin Park in the final game at the historic stadium and overturning a 1-0 first leg loss. Fulham were beaten 2-1 by Cardiff City at Craven Cottage last night but still made it through. A 2-0 win in South Wales got them to the final 3-2 on aggregate.

The match will kick-off at 7.45pm and will be behind closed doors, but will be live on Sky Sports. The game will not be available on iFollow video for any supporters. Sky Sports is the only place to watch the fixture. Season Ticket Holders are reminded that their iFollow package only included regular season games and not Play-Off fixtures.

Brentford completed a league double over Fulham this season, winning at Griffin Park and Craven Cottage. Bryan Mbeumo scored the only goal at Griffin Park in December while it was a 2-0 victory for The Bees. Emiliano Marcondes came on late on and set up the opening goal for Saïd Benrahma before scoring the second himself in the first game back after the long pause in football due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Fulham do, however, have far better memories of Play-Offs and Wembley. In 2018 they beat Aston Villa to win the Championship Play-Off Final and promption to the Premier League. That is their only Play-Off Final appearance after losing three previous Semi-Finals. This is Brentford's ninth Play-Off appearance and fourth final. The Bees have never won promotion through the Play-Offs.

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2020/july/next-up-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham set for major boost ahead of play-off final clash with Brentford

Fulham boss Scott Parker has revealed that he expects star striker Aleksander Mitrovic to be fit for their play-off final clash against Brentford on Tuesday.

The Serbian striker was the Championship's joint-top scorer in the 2019/20 campaign, having found the net 26 times in the division, but missed both legs of the play-off semi-final against Cardiff City.

Fulham won the tie 3-2 on aggregate after holding off the Bluebirds in a 2-1 second-leg defeat at Craven Cottage last night.

The London club won the first leg 2-0 through goals from Josh Onomah and Neeskens Kebano but conceded inside the first 10 minutes of the return fixture.

Kebano grabbed an equaliser moments later and despite Lee Tomlin's goal shortly after half-time, Fulham were able to hold on and secure a place at Wembley.

They'll face west London rivals Brentford with a place in the Premier League on the line and, speaking to West London Sport, Parker has indicated he expects Mitrovic to be fit.

He said: "I'm hopeful.

"He was close tonight, but not good enough. It would have been a massive risk.

"We pushed and pushed, the medical team had done everything they could, but he just wasn't ready.

"Now we have some time, so we're going to do what we can to get him out there. He'll be working now, get treatment, and be out on the grass."

It looks set to be a difficult test for Fulham, with Brentford coming off the back of a 3-1 win against Swansea City in midweek.

The Bees have won both of the meetings between the two sides this season, Parker will be hoping that pattern is broken on Tuesday.

The Verdict

This looks a huge boost for Fulham.

Mitrovic has been fantastic for them this season – not only is he the Championship's top scorer but his hold-up play could prove vital against a Brentford side that conceded the second-fewest goals in the division last season.

Big games like this can so often be settled by the tightest margins and Mitrovic is a player capable of producing the spectacular when his side need it – they'll be hoping he can do just that at Wembley.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-set-for-major-boost-ahead-of-play-off-final-clash-with-brentford/

WhiteJC

Attacker admits he 'didn't have to work hard' despite struggling & being sold by Spurs

Josh Onomah has shared that he struggled to make a breakthrough a Tottenham because the game 'caught up' with him, as he told Sky Sports Football (30/07/20 at 7:20 pm).

The now-Fulham player, who left Spurs for Craven Cottage last summer, admitted that he 'didn't have to work hard' during his youth days because he was 'naturally blessed'.

As Onomah moved up to the senior ranks, despite being highly-rated in North London, he struggled to make the breakthrough and didn't exactly light it up during his loan spells at Aston Villa and Sheffield Wednesday.

Onomah was asked why he struggled to make that breakthrough, as the versatile attacker was pretty honest in what went wrong.

"I would say mentality, really," Onomah told Sky Sports. "I was someone who didn't have to work hard as a youth. I was naturally blessed and I trusted my ability.

"It sort of caught up with me and when I was out on loan. I had a few injuries. I thought that played a part aswell.

"But I believe everything happens for a reason and I am thankful for everything that has happened and I have just got to take my chance now."

Onomah is now shining at Fulham, who reached the Championship play-off finals yesterday following their win against Cardiff.

The Spurs man netted a brilliant solo goal in the first leg, as it seems Scott Parker, who coached him when he was a teenager in Tottenham's youth ranks, is now getting the best out of him.

If Fulham can beat their London rivals Brentford at Wembley then Onomah will be coming up against his former club next season.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/07/31/attacker-critical-of-his-mentality-after-struggling-being-sold-by-tottenham/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker "hopeful" over Aleksandar Mitrovic fitness for playoff final

Scott Parker remains hopeful that talisman striker Aleksandar Mitrovic will be fit for Tuesday's Championship play-off final clash with London rivals Brentford.

Mitrovic was forced to sit out both legs of Fulham's 3-2 aggregate semi-final victory over Cardiff, watching from the stands on Thursday night as the Whites secured safe passage to the Wembley showpiece.

Neeskens Kebano's fifth goal in four games proved enough to edge Fulham into the final despite a 2-1 home loss in the second leg, with the 2-0 lead from Monday's win in Cardiff providing just enough cushion for the Whites.

Serbia hitman Mitrovic is not only Fulham's sole recognised striker but also boasts 26 league goals this term, and Parker admitted the 25-year-old still faces some hard graft to be fit in time for Tuesday.

Asked if Mitrovic will be ready to take on Brentford, Parker said: "I'm hopeful, I'm hopeful, he was close tonight but not quite close enough.

"It would have been a massive risk.

"We pushed and pushed, and the medical team did everything they could but he just wasn't ready.

"So it would have been too great a risk to involve him.

"He'll be working now, working over the next few days. And we'll just do everything we can to try to have him ready."

Curtis Nelson and Lee Tomlin found the net for Cardiff to push Fulham right to the brink in a nervy night at Craven Cottage.

The Bluebirds had several late chances that could have altered the outcome, but Fulham held out – in no small part thanks to a string of smart saves from goalkeeper Marek Rodak.

"He was fantastic, he put in a big performance tonight when he was called upon," said Parker, of Rodak.

"He needed to keep us in the game and he did that.

"He's done that throughout the season. You need players to step up, and he did that."

Cardiff boss Neil Harris vowed the Bluebirds will come back stronger for next season, insisting the south Wales men cannot afford to dwell on the defeat.

"Fulham scored in the key moments, that's ultimately what's cost us the tie," said Harris.

"Credit to Fulham for getting through, it's just disappointment and a tinge of sadness that we weren't quite good enough over the two games.

"There's so much more to come from us, I honestly believe that.

"We're disappointed now, but every player comes home proud of what they've achieved.

"And we drag that forward next season. No disappointment, no ifs and buts, just straight back into it for next year."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/championship-promotion-race/news/scott-parker-hopeful-over-aleksandar-mitrovic-fitness-for-playoff-final_408588.html

WhiteJC

These Fulham fans are all saying the same thing about Southampton midfielder Harrison Reed

Harrison Reed continues to impress on loan at Fulham from Southampton, with Scott Parker's side now preparing for the Championship play-off final against Brentford

Harrison Reed has impressed on loan at Fulham this season from Southampton. (Photo by Naomi Baker/Getty Images)

It has been an impressive season so far for Southampton midfielder Harrison Reed at Fulham - and it is not over yet.

The 25-year-old is on loan at Fulham from Saints and has been a key player for Scott Parker's side, featuring 27 times for the west London side in the Championship and end of season play-offs.

He has been a vital player for Fulham in their push for promotion back to the Premier League, with Reed establishing himself in the centre of midfield in Parker's side.

Reed featured again last night as Fulham made it through to the Championship play-off final, despite losing 2-1 at home against Cardiff in the second leg at Craven Cottage.

And Fulham have got fans talking on social media this afternoon after posting a tweet of Reed's heat map in the play-off semi-final clash.

In response, Fulham fans have been making their feelings clear on his future ahead of the play-off final against Brentford, in what could be his last game for the club ahead of returning to Southampton.

This is Reed's third loan in the Championship in recent seasons, having also had time on loan at Norwich City and Blackburn Rovers.

But Reed has recently said that he will struggle if he does not play regular first-team football next season.

The 25-year-old recently told the Independent that he has thrived under Parker's tutelage and would find it difficult to go back to a part-time role.

Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl has not committed to a decision over Reed's future, but has said that he is keeping an eye on his progress.

"In general we always have a look on every loan player, how he does, what we need, what we do on what positions," he Hasenhuttl said, when asked about what the future holds for Reed.

"It's fantastic that he makes a good job in the Championship and we will discuss this personality internally and we will see what we do.

"There's still a few ways to go and I think they [Fulham] have a chance to be promoted, I don't know. I wish him all the best and good games."

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/fulham-fans-saying-southampton-reed-4384582

WhiteJC

Exclusive: Fulham, Bournemouth & Stoke plot raid to sign attacker from recently-relegated club

Fulham have been joined by Bournemouth and Stoke City in the hunt to sign Hull City striker Mallik Wilks this summer, Football Insider understands.

The 21-year-old joined the Tigers on a permanent basis earlier this month after a six-month loan spell from Barnsley.

However, a recruitment source has told Football Insider that Hull could be forced to sell the striker after their relegation to League One and that Fulham, Bournemouth and Stoke are among his suitors.

The former Leeds United striker joined Barnsley back in the summer of 2019 after an impressive loan spell at Doncaster Rovers.

He scored 16 times and contributed a further 12 assists at the Keepmoat Stadium but was unable to replicate his form with the Tykes.

After just one goal in 16 appearances, he was shipped off to Hull on a temporary basis until the end of the season.

Despite six goals and a series of standout performances, Wilks was unable to stop the Tigers from being relegated, although the club did sign him permanently at the start of July.

Hull's predicament means that they could be forced to cash in on the striker this summer and Fulham, Bournemouth and Stoke are all keeping close tabs on his situation.

he Cottagers currently do not know whether they will be making signings for the Premier League or Championship next season as they prepare for the play-off final against Brentford.

Bournemouth are set for their first season outside the top flight since 2015, while Stoke are heading into their third-successive Championship campaign.

In other Fulham news, it can be REVEALED West Brom have set their sights on signing a Cottager for £5million.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-fulham-bournemouth-stoke-plot-raid-to-sign-attacker-from-recently-relegated-club/

WhiteJC

Exclusive: West Brom set sights on signing Fulham player, £5m will seal deal

West Brom have set their sights on a move for Fulham defender Joe Bryan this summer, Football Insider can reveal.

The Championship high flyers are in the market for a left-back and are targeting a move for the 26-year-old.

A West Brom source has told Football Insider the club are weighing up a move for Bryan after learning he may be available for transfer.

Fulham value Bryan at around £5million after previously setting a £7m asking price for him.

He was the subject of interest from Southampton in January while Italian club Atalanta were keen to sign him on loan.

Bryan was also wanted by Newcastle United last summer.

The left-back has been a mainstay at Fulham since signing in 2018 from Bristol City for around £6million.

He was the regular left-back during their season in the Premier League that ended in relegation and has started 35 of their 40 Championship matches this season.

Bryan moved to the west Londoners after proving himself to be one of the best full-backs in the Football League during his time at Bristol City.

At the south-west club, he made 230 appearances after graduating from their youth team.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-west-brom-set-sights-on-signing-fulham-player-5m-will-seal-deal/

WhiteJC

Fulham set up west London play-off final

FULHAM will play west London rivals Brentford in the play-off final at Wembley next Tuesday. That was despite the remarkable efforts of Cardiff City to overturn a two-goal deficit and pull off an unlikely comeback at Craven Cottage in a pulsating second leg.

Not many people gave Cardiff City a chance going into the game. They had been soundly beaten by Fulham on their own patch and manager Neil Harris had lost all six games where he has managed sides playing the Londoners. But Cardiff were fired up.

Cardiff opened the scoring on eight minutes through Curtis Nelson from a set-play.

But Fulham responded like quicksilver, Neeskens Kebano levelling 24 seconds later after a smart move.

The Fulham goal seemed to settle the home side's nerves and they were comfortable for the rest of the first half.

The second half was a Cardiff barrage, starting with a goal from substitute Lee Tomlin.

Fulham goalkeeper Marek Rodak made a series of fine saves to keep Fulham ahead.

It was a pulsating affair and one that left Cardiff manager Neil Harris stating: "I couldn't be prouder."

And looking forward to next season, having taken the side from 14th in the league when he was appointed in November to the verge of the play-off final, he said: "Our fan base should be proud of how far we come. Let's use that pride."

Fulham manager Scott Parker cut a relieved figure as he said: "Overall we have got ourselves to the final and that is an incredible achievement.

"The performance was tough. Cardiff were a wounded animal and had nothing to lose."

But soon he was looking forward to next Tuesday's play off-final against a Brentford side who have defeated his charges twice this season.

"It's a coin toss. We are playing a good side and it's a final, so form goes out of the window."

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/s/fulham-set-west-london-play-final

WhiteJC

Brentford v Fulham: how the Championship playoff final will be decided

Brentford go into the Championship playoff final as clear favourites, but there is enough from Fulham to suggest that, despite the odd atmosphere, it could be a game for the ages....

The Championship playoff final is going to be pretty weird this year.

Even though we've had time to get used to empty grounds, there's a different sort of noise at the playoff final which is partly why it's such a remarkable occasion. Without that, it's going to be...different, to say the least.

But the game itself should be a cracker. Brentford and Fulham finished in third and fourth place respectively, and while the Bees have been the far superior team over the season, Fulham have shown some more life recently.

"I think Brentford are the better team," said Adrian Clarke on this week's edition of the Totally Football League Show. "I feel they have more penetration in forward areas, they've got more drive and dynamism from back-to-front. Their back four is solid enough to cope with Fulham.

"Brentford are more comfortable in their manager's style than Fulham, who are a good possession side but I don't know if they've got the same gear changes as the Bees.

"It will be a fascinating game though, it really will. There will be some great duels: Christian Norgaard against Josh Onomah – Onomah has the potential to destroy anyone in that position, and the goal he scored in the first leg of the semi-final was sensational, although he was quiet in the second leg, so it depends which Onomah turns up at Wembley."

Sam Parkin added: "Ollie Watkins against Michael Hector: Hector is in that side to sweep up behind Ream who goes and attacks things, so you'd like to think it will be difficult for Watkins to get in behind. Mitrovic against Pontus Jansson: Jansson out-battled him in the two games, Mitrovic has been very quiet, so that's one to look for. I'd also look at Fulham's left-hand side too, whether it's Kebano or Aboubakar Kamara against Henrik Dalsgaard, who is very good on the ball but lacks a bit of mobility."

Brentford are favourites with most people, not least because of some fitness concerns in the Fulham camp. "I'd be worried about Fulham's injuries," said Sam Parkin. "If Mitrovic and Kebano don't recover, they looked a bit leggy, lacking in ideas against Cardiff, whereas Brentford will be coming off that pitch full of beans."

However, it's perhaps not that cut and dried.

"I think a point raising," said Sam Parkin, "although I wouldn't read so much into it: nine players remain from the Fulham team that went up a couple of seasons ago, ten if you include Onomah who was playing for Aston Villa that day. So they've got the experience of the occasion. I felt the inexperience of Brentford going into it was a concern, although they did alleviate a lot of my fears with the performance [in the second leg against Swansea]."

And there is that resurgence from Fulham, who have got the results to reach the playoffs but have generally been quite underwhelming this season. However, in recent weeks something else has sparked.

"A lot of it is down to a couple of individuals, who have really stepped up and given them another dimension: Neeskens Kebano, who has been really exciting on the left, and Josh Onomah, whose ability to get forwards beyond the striker, to be positive with his first touch, on the half-turn.

"Scott Parker knows how to set a team up defensively, and we saw that against a Cardiff side who did brilliantly [to come back from 2-0 down in the first-leg and make a game of it]."

https://www.thetotallyfootballshow.com/from-the-podcasts/brentford-v-fulham-how-the-championship-playoff-final-will-be-decided/

WhiteJC

Fulham captain Tom Cairney happy with scrappy Wembley display against Brentford if it leads to promotion

Fulham skipper Tom Cairney knows Brentford will pose a very different test to Cardiff at Wembley on Tuesday ( Getty Images )

Fulham captain Tom Cairney is prepared to fight his way to the Premier League after surviving a semi-final second-leg bombardment from Cardiff City.

Despite a 2-1 defeat at Craven Cottage on Thursday night, Fulham will face Brentford in an all-London Championship play-off final on Tuesday, with their fine first-leg display ensuring they moved a step closer to a first-time return to the top-flight.

Cardiff came to London with a point to prove and nothing to lose, and played like it too - relentlessly firing balls into the Fulham box, which left the hosts clinging on at points.

And while Brentford will pose an entirely different threat, Cairney is happy to shun the stylish approach if it means earning promotion once more.

"Yeah it was edgy, it was nervous. 2-0 leads are weird," he said. "You want to be the team 2-0 up, but you never play like that - it's strange. But it was just about getting over the line.

"No one remembers the performance to be fair at the end of it, they just see that Fulham have got to Wembley. I would take another one of those performances if it would mean winning next Tuesday."

Not that Cairney is expecting the Bees to drag them into another scrap.

Both sides have played magnificent football at times this season and, while Thomas Frank's side did the double over their west London rivals during the regular campaign, the Fulham midfielder - who scored the winning goal in the play-off final two years ago - is anticipating quite the spectacle.

"It will be totally different," he said. "They will play a lot more football. Cardiff are a physical team, they play a lot of long balls and get second balls, but Brentford play it out from the back, so it will be totally different.

"They deserve to be there. They have been a top side all season, create a lot of chances, score a lot of goals. I watched them on Wednesday night and it was a terrific performance, especially the first 20 minutes. They blew Swansea away.

"We kind of know what to expect, but then we have got our own things that they will be wary of, so I think it will be a good final. I think a lot of people will want to watch Fulham vs Brentford.

"It's an all-London final, a derby. It could have been an all-Wales final, but its turned out to be all-London, so it's a big day, a special day.

"That's why I feel for the fans again, because a play-off final, a local derby - it could have been a special occasion."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-brentford-championship-play-off-final-tom-cairney-a4514056.html

WhiteJC

Brentford captain Pontus Jansson jokes 'I'm running out of motivational speeches' after using them all up to rally the troops to reach the play-off final against Fulham

Brentford will play Fulham at Wembley in Tuesday's Championship play-off final
    Pontus Jansson jokes that he has used up all of his motivational speeches
    He says Bryan Mbeumo is more talented than Ollie Watkins and Said Benrahma

Brentford captain Pontus Jansson has joked that he no longer knows how to rally his team-mates after using up all his motivational speeches ahead of their Championship play-off final against Fulham.

Jansson revealed young French winger Bryan Mbeumo rallied the troops before their semi-final second-leg victory over Swansea, which brought the curtain down on Griffin Park - and kept Brentford on course for the Premier League.

That was the latest in a string of defining matches for Thomas Frank's side and ahead of Tuesday's trip to Wembley, Jansson said: 'I think I'm running out of speeches because I've had so many the last couple of weeks so I don't know what to say anymore.

Pontus Jansson has joked he doesn't know what to say anymore to rally Brentford's troops

Jansson said he used up all his motivational speeches to help Brentford reach play-off final

'Bryan Mbeumo had a really, really good speech before the game against Swansea in the warm-up. It was really emotional and that gave us a lot of energy so hopefully someone else can come up with a good speech on Tuesday.'

Mbeumo is part of Frank's 'BMW' forward line alongside Ollie Watkins and Said Benrahma. Between them, they have amassed 59 goals and 19 assists to fire Brentford towards promotion.

'All of them will play for big, big clubs, hopefully with us in the Premier League,' said Jansson, who believes Mbeumo, only 20, could prove the pick of the bunch.

They will face Scott Parker's Fulham in the final after they defeated Cardiff over the two legs

'Bryan is probably going to be better than both of them... he has such talent,' he added.

Tom Cairney, meanwhile, says he would happily sacrifice Fulham's pretty playing style to secure a return to the Premier League.

Fulham scrapped past Cardiff in a tense semi-final and their captain said: 'It was just about getting over the line. No one remembers the performance.... they just see that Fulham have got to Wembley. I would take another one of those performances if it would mean winning next Tuesday.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8582827/Brentfords-Pontus-Jansson-jokes-hes-used-motivational-speeches-ahead-play-final.html