https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Eddie howe

Started by jeffc4golf, August 01, 2020, 09:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffc4golf

Just left bourmouth by mutual consent

Fernhurst

Surprised, thought he would be there for life.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

fulhamben

If the worst case scenario happens on Tuesday, if I were Tony, I'd be all over that
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

The Rational Fan

Once the offical accounts were released in March 2020, we found Eddie Howe's budget in 18/19 was more than Fulhams. He had a similar budget this season and got relegated, The media spent a season saying "we were doing a Fulham" when Bournmouth was a bigger budget team all along.

See for yourself
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06632170/filing-history

St Eve

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 01, 2020, 10:00:51 PM
Once the offical accounts were released in March 2020, we found Eddie Howe's budget in 18/19 was more than Fulhams. He had a similar budget this season and got relegated, The media spent a season saying "we were doing a Fulham" when Bournmouth was a bigger budget team all along.

See for yourself
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06632170/filing-history

I don't believe their net transfer spend in any single season has matched what we spent that year, so that's why it doesn't mike the headlines. But I agree that in the period Bournemouth were in the PL he did, overall, have a lot of time (5 years) and a lot of money (£200m-300m?) to build a solid PL side and evidently he failed. IMO that puts him in the same bracket as Hughton, Warnock et al, ie someone who might get you out of the Championship but isn't good enough for the PL.

Finnans Right Peg

Do not think that hughton had that kind of money with any club and he kept brighton up and when norwich sacked him the were outside the relegation places (I could be wrong on that )

shepperton white

When comparing Bournemouth and Eddie Howe's management remember one thing - no club in the top two leagues have had to manage on crowds of under 10k to survive on. Personally  I think he did a bloody good job.  Hope he gets another top job as soon as he's ready

toshes mate

Quote from: fulhamben on August 01, 2020, 09:58:49 PM
If the worst case scenario happens on Tuesday, if I were Tony, I'd be all over that
IMO, that's a rather good thought, Ben, regardless.

grandad

Hope he gets another job but not with us thankyou.
Where there's a will there's a wife

epsomraver

He was yet another manager let down by big money signings

A number of big-money signings have not worked out for the Cherries in the manner Howe - who played more than 250 times for the club - will have hoped for.

Winger Jordon Ibe, who cost £15m from Liverpool in 2016, played only two league games in 2019-20, and striker Dominic Solanke - who arrived in a £19m deal from the Anfield club in 2019 - managed three league goals in 32 games.

The south coast club also suffered with injuries, not least experienced defender Charlie Daniels being ruled out for the season in August 2019 and promising winger David Brooks requiring two operations that saw him miss the majority of the campaign.

If they were his signings and not foisted on him as with Slav then it is his head on the block, sure he won't be out of a job for long.

Statto

Quote from: shepperton white on August 02, 2020, 10:54:06 AM
When comparing Bournemouth and Eddie Howe's management remember one thing - no club in the top two leagues have had to manage on crowds of under 10k to survive on. Personally  I think he did a bloody good job.  Hope he gets another top job as soon as he's ready

But most of PL clubs' money comes from the TV money anyway. Bournemouth's annual revenue in the PL must have been something like £120m per year. If they'd been getting 40k fans every week perhaps it would have been £135m. Not a massive difference. They still spent a decent amount each year, as much as their peers on average, I suspect.

Slaphead in Qatar

Scratch below the surface and Bournemouth in the premier league is not the fairytale. They are backed by rich owners and have spent a lot of money. Eddie Howe is not necessarily the great young manager that people say he is.

FFC1987

The year they went down, you need to review the injury list. It was disastrous. It would be like Saints losing Ings, Ward-Prowse, Townsend among another 5 key players all missing for large sections of the season, they would be down there too. This isn't a Howe appreciation post but we really do need to look at the wider picture in this discussion.

Statto

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 02, 2020, 12:50:16 PM
The year they went down, you need to review the injury list. It was disastrous. It would be like Saints losing Ings, Ward-Prowse, Townsend among another 5 key players all missing for large sections of the season, they would be down there too. This isn't a Howe appreciation post but we really do need to look at the wider picture in this discussion.

You cannot blame injuries for failure over the course of a full season. Every team gets injuries. You have two transfer windows and a 25 man squad to deal with that. Every year there will be a few mid-table/bottom half PL clubs who are particularly unlucky with injuries but it isn't determinitive of who does down.

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on August 02, 2020, 01:21:32 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on August 02, 2020, 12:50:16 PM

You cannot blame injuries for failure over the course of a full season. Every team gets injuries. You have two transfer windows and a 25 man squad to deal with that. Every year there will be a few mid-table/bottom half PL clubs who are particularly unlucky with injuries but it isn't determinitive of who does down.

Someone posted a list of it in another thread, you absolutely can. On this occasion, I think it holds sufficient weight that it was a large contributing factor.

Deuce

Sacking Parker this season, regardless of we go up or not, would be utterly stupid. Hes done a good job in hos first season, now he'll only improve.

ScalleysDad

We met Eddie Howe once at Waterloo station where he was being mini mobbed by some ladies of a certain age for a group photo. He played along for a while, very politely. We just wished him luck for the upcoming season and he returned the same on spotting Scalleys top. Seemed a nice chap but.........
Parker loses key players at important stages of the season and despite getting to Wembley is still derided by some as useless, boring and inept. Howe loses key players at important stages of the season and those loses are quoted as a key reason he did not succeed this season. Funny old game.

FFC1987

Quote from: ScalleysDad on August 02, 2020, 06:25:15 PM
We met Eddie Howe once at Waterloo station where he was being mini mobbed by some ladies of a certain age for a group photo. He played along for a while, very politely. We just wished him luck for the upcoming season and he returned the same on spotting Scalleys top. Seemed a nice chap but.........
Parker loses key players at important stages of the season and despite getting to Wembley is still derided by some as useless, boring and inept. Howe loses key players at important stages of the season and those loses are quoted as a key reason he did not succeed this season. Funny old game.

I don't think the two are remotely comparable to be honest.

Whitesideup

Find the criticism of Howe very strange. What he did for Bournemouth over the time he was there was truly remarkable. And they were in the Premier league for 5 years .. Yes, a couple of big signings did not work out (remind you of any other clubs?) - they had a tough season, and fell short by a very small margin.

It is also strange that his critics suddenly think Bournemouth had as much money as bigger clubs. Yes, a fair percentage comes from tv money but bigger gates mean bigger deals all round, especially sponsorship. Even 10% less is a big amount.

It is always going to be difficult to sustain competitiveness at smaller clubs. What works for one or two seasons is not a guarantee of continued success.

I for one think Howe did a fantastic job. It's an opinion you don't have to share, but you cannot deny what he did for a club that went into administration twice and for years had no money. He knows his football.