News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

For those of us who can remember football in the 1960s...

Started by Arthur, August 05, 2020, 04:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur

I think that for anyone who follows their team from childhood, the memories are so special that one can't help but associate with the teams that were in the same league as us.

For those, like me, whose love of Fulham began in the latter part of the 1960s, next year's Premier League has a reassuring look about it: 16 of the other 19 clubs were also with us in the old First Division in the 1967-68 season. Only Brighton, Crystal Palace and Aston Villa were outside the top flight (with Villa having been relegated only the previous season). It takes me back to a time when, as a child, football had a magical aura about it.

For those who may not be aware, we finished bottom of the First Division that season, so obviously I'm hoping that the similarities with those never-to-be-forgotten early days do not extend to next season's league table.

kiwian

Coincidentally, that was the first season I started following FFC after reading a magazine article about Macedo saving a last minute shot the previous season to keep us up. What a ride it's been these last 50+ years. wouldn't have missed it for the world!
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

RaySmith

I remember, early 60's, Burnley being a top side, and we were defintiely the underdogs when we played them in the FA Cup semi-final in 1962, and were unlucky to be taken to a replay - Burnley keeper  Blacklaw's foul on  Maurice Cook missed by the ref!

Also remember going to watch Palace with Mum and Dad - it was their team, in the 4th division.
I began going to Fulham because i asked my dad to take me to see a top division side!
'You have to see Johnny Haynes play' he said.