watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ryan Babel

Started by Mince n Tatties, August 08, 2020, 02:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

According to radio just past,and a piece on the net,we are trying to bring him back.

AnOldBrownie

Would love a younger version of him...but even at 33 I still rate him higher than Cav or Knock.   

Robbie

Only for £20k a week or less.
Utility midfielder

fulhamben

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 08, 2020, 04:01:04 PM
Quote from: Robbie on August 08, 2020, 03:56:34 PM
Utility midfielder

He's not a midfielder.   He plays up top or on the wing.
on the wing is midfield
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

bog

He scored a few good goals  in a poor line up. 

bill taylors apprentice

I believe he's out of contract and this sounds like his agent is busy pushing his name forward.

fulhamben

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on August 08, 2020, 04:15:40 PM
I believe he's out of contract and this sounds like his agent is busy pushing his name forward.
hes not out of contract

filham

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 08, 2020, 03:35:35 PM
Would love a younger version of him...but even at 33 I still rate him higher than Cav or Knock. 

Well that has to be our benchmark, better than Cav. and Knock, yes unless we have someone better in mind, grab him.

fulhamben

Quote from: filham on August 08, 2020, 04:21:50 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 08, 2020, 03:35:35 PM

Well that has to be our benchmark, better than Cav. and Knock, yes unless we have someone better in mind, grab him.

if we don't have someone better in mind, it's gonna be a long hard season.

fulhamben

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 08, 2020, 04:28:30 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on August 08, 2020, 04:05:53 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 08, 2020, 04:01:04 PM
Quote from: Robbie on August 08, 2020, 03:56:34 PM
Utility midfielder

He's not a midfielder.   He plays up top or on the wing.
on the wing is midfield

I don't really consider the likes of Sadio Mane, Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Kebano, Hazard, Leroy Sane as midfielders...but I guess you're technically correct.

And yes, those are the types of players I equate Babel to.
most people wouldn't really class them as on the wing to be fair, they play wide of a front 3. But the wide men in a 3 front are normally taken up by midfield players.

RaySmith

An attacking midfielder, winger, whatever- but i thought him outstanding for us, his quality stood out,and he seemed   very fit, and able to fit straight into the side, make an impact, and develop an understanding with the others that  our  expensive pre-season signings seemed to find difficult to do.

Forget his age, he was only playing for us a season ago, and is still playing at a top level.
Should snap his up if we get the chance..

FFC1987

He's a very good player. Someone we absolutely should not turn our nose up at. Surprised by that attitude considering how good he was last time and speaks volumes that at his age he can still cut it at international level.

AnOldBrownie

As long as he's not the only attacking option we sign, I'm 100% behind bring him back.

fulhamben

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 08, 2020, 04:49:13 PM
He's a very good player. Someone we absolutely should not turn our nose up at. Surprised by that attitude considering how good he was last time and speaks volumes that at his age he can still cut it at international level.
hes had a poor season for Galatassari, plus he's really old. Why should what he did two years ago trump his current ability

rebel

He's in a three year contract with a Turkish club, he was loaned Ajax for 6 months. So could be loaned to us.

rebel

Quote from: RaySmith on August 08, 2020, 04:45:46 PM
An attacking midfielder, winger, whatever- but i thought him outstanding for us, his quality stood out,and he seemed   very fit, and able to fit straight into the side, make an impact, and develop an understanding with the others that  our  expensive pre-season signings seemed to find difficult to do.

Forget his age, he was only playing for us a season ago, and is still playing at a top level.

Agree 100%, some of the poster's have a short memory scored 6 goals in 15 games.   

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: fulhamben on August 08, 2020, 04:18:03 PM
hes not out of contract

Your right but it sounds as if Gala and Babel are not compatible.
A good player to have around if there's no other options.

fulhamben

Quote from: rebel on August 08, 2020, 05:02:34 PM
Quote from: RaySmith on August 08, 2020, 04:45:46 PM

Agree 100%, some of the poster's have a short memory scored 6 goals in 15 games.   
so are we gonna get the Babel from two seasons ago or the older one who didn't have a great season this year. If you can guarantee the former then I'm all for it, but if you can't then it's too big a gamble for me. Oldies freebies and loans got us relegated in our first season under khan, need slightly more than a short memory to recall that though

AnOldBrownie

Someone posted this right as he signed with us last time...

QuoteOh God where to start with this.

I currently live in Istanbul and whilst here my local team are Besiktas and I go to see them fairly frequently. For roughly 12 months or so I've wanted this useless waste of space to leave the Vodafone Arena. to say he is piss poor, or has been piss poor, is to talk up his abilities. The Tukish top division is as bad now as any time over the past 10 years or so and clubs are losing players due to FFP.

Over the past couple of months or so, as decent players go (Pepe had his contract cancelled in December from Besiktas), and lesser equipped Turkish players replace them in the team, Babel was fairly in unique in finding himself just dropped due to being fkin rubbish.

All I can say is Besiktas's loss is Fulham's loss. When he signed he was asked that after playing in both the premier league and la liga which one was best he cited the latter because his game was more suited to it than to the Premier league. He is slow, lazy, rarely likes to take a player on (because of the first two), always takes the easy option - rolls the ball back to someone else rather than doing what you want a winger to do and attack a player or space. he does and has chipped in with a goal or two but that is mainly due to playing for one of the better teams here where more chances are created.

I expect him to play well in the first few games - as many new signings do - but then for him to revert to type. Christ, he's awful. Thank feck (as a Besiktas fan) he's gone.

And then Ryan proved to be one of our better players on the pitch while he was here.

Sure, he's old...and sure...for whatever reason it's not working at Gala... for him.    Doesn't mean he wouldn't be a valuable piece to help us stay up.

Again, as long as he's not the only signed attacking option I'd bring him back.

fulhamben

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 08, 2020, 05:08:04 PM
Someone posted this right as he signed with us last time...

QuoteOh God where to start with this.

I currently live in Istanbul and whilst here my local team are Besiktas and I go to see them fairly frequently. For roughly 12 months or so I've wanted this useless waste of space to leave the Vodafone Arena. to say he is piss poor, or has been piss poor, is to talk up his abilities. The Tukish top division is as bad now as any time over the past 10 years or so and clubs are losing players due to FFP.

Over the past couple of months or so, as decent players go (Pepe had his contract cancelled in December from Besiktas), and lesser equipped Turkish players replace them in the team, Babel was fairly in unique in finding himself just dropped due to being fkin rubbish.

All I can say is Besiktas's loss is Fulham's loss. When he signed he was asked that after playing in both the premier league and la liga which one was best he cited the latter because his game was more suited to it than to the Premier league. He is slow, lazy, rarely likes to take a player on (because of the first two), always takes the easy option - rolls the ball back to someone else rather than doing what you want a winger to do and attack a player or space. he does and has chipped in with a goal or two but that is mainly due to playing for one of the better teams here where more chances are created.

I expect him to play well in the first few games - as many new signings do - but then for him to revert to type. Christ, he's awful. Thank feck (as a Besiktas fan) he's gone.

And then Ryan proved to be one of our better players on the pitch while he was here.

Sure, he's old...and sure...for whatever reason it's not working at Gala... for him.    Doesn't mean he wouldn't be a valuable piece to help us stay up.

Again, as long as he's not the only signed attacking option I'd bring him back.
how many people at his age regain there form though? I can't think of one.