Main Menu

Ryan Babel

Started by Mince n Tatties, August 08, 2020, 02:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebel

Quote from: alfie on August 08, 2020, 07:26:21 PM
Quote from: rebel on August 08, 2020, 05:02:34 PM
Quote from: RaySmith on August 08, 2020, 04:45:46 PM
An attacking midfielder, winger, whatever- but i thought him outstanding for us, his quality stood out,and he seemed   very fit, and able to fit straight into the side, make an impact, and develop an understanding with the others that  our  expensive pre-season signings seemed to find difficult to do.

Forget his age, he was only playing for us a season ago, and is still playing at a top level.
Should snap his up if we get the chance..

Agree 100%, some of the poster's have a short memory scored 6 goals in 15 games.
Yes but that wasn't last week was it, 2 seasons ago

Yes, but he's not going to lose any of the qualities he showed previously. He'll still have the same mindset, 'unfinished business' in the Prem.

Twig

Quote from: rebel on August 09, 2020, 08:38:11 AM
An attacking midfielder, winger, whatever- but i thought him outstanding for us, his quality stood out,and he seemed   very fit, and able to fit straight into the side, make an impact, and develop an understanding with the others that  our  expensive pre-season signings seemed to find difficult to do.

Forget his age, he was only playing for us a season ago, and is still playing at a top level.

Agree 100%, some of the poster's have a short memory scored 6 goals in 15 games.

Yes, but he's not going to lose any of the qualities he showed previously. He'll still have the same mindset, 'unfinished business' in the Prem.

Well one quality he will be rapidly losing is physical condition. He would be more than two years older and approaching 34. He simply won't be quite the player he was when we brought him in previously. I'm not knocking the guy, he was a light in a dark place last time around but time waits for no man sadly.

b+w geezer

If he were as good as last time, that would be a real coup. (My player of the season). If just a usable substitute, and positive presence around the place, that might still be attractive to Fulham for one campaign. They know all about him, including how he fared in the season just ended, so won't be flying blind if they do make that call.

rebel

Quote from: fulhamben on August 08, 2020, 05:09:14 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 08, 2020, 05:08:04 PM
Someone posted this right as he signed with us last time...

QuoteOh God where to start with this.

I currently live in Istanbul and whilst here my local team are Besiktas and I go to see them fairly frequently. For roughly 12 months or so I've wanted this useless waste of space to leave the Vodafone Arena. to say he is piss poor, or has been piss poor, is to talk up his abilities. The Tukish top division is as bad now as any time over the past 10 years or so and clubs are losing players due to FFP.

Over the past couple of months or so, as decent players go (Pepe had his contract cancelled in December from Besiktas), and lesser equipped Turkish players replace them in the team, Babel was fairly in unique in finding himself just dropped due to being fkin rubbish.

All I can say is Besiktas's loss is Fulham's loss. When he signed he was asked that after playing in both the premier league and la liga which one was best he cited the latter because his game was more suited to it than to the Premier league. He is slow, lazy, rarely likes to take a player on (because of the first two), always takes the easy option - rolls the ball back to someone else rather than doing what you want a winger to do and attack a player or space. he does and has chipped in with a goal or two but that is mainly due to playing for one of the better teams here where more chances are created.

I expect him to play well in the first few games - as many new signings do - but then for him to revert to type. Christ, he's awful. Thank feck (as a Besiktas fan) he's gone.

And then Ryan proved to be one of our better players on the pitch while he was here.

Sure, he's old...and sure...for whatever reason it's not working at Gala... for him.    Doesn't mean he wouldn't be a valuable piece to help us stay up.

Again, as long as he's not the only signed attacking option I'd bring him back.
how many people at his age regain there form though? I can't think of one.

What makes you think that he has lost his form? He's not settled in Turkey, it's bit like Mitro, didn't settle at Newcastle, but has been great with us since.

rebel

FFC1987

Quote from: fulhamben on August 09, 2020, 12:37:10 AM
Quote from: FFC1987 on August 09, 2020, 12:04:21 AM
Quote from: Twig on August 08, 2020, 10:49:01 PM
I might be in the minority but sadly it%u2019s a no from me. He was superb two years ago but he will be 34 in 4 months time. As Statto points out it%u2019s the sort of signing of the latter MAF days.

I don't think this is at all to be honest. He's still playing at the very top level, it would be a short term deal and a player who knows the set up, the team and would be relatively cheap. His experience alone would be great in a position we already have ample people in albeit, he'd still be an upgrade. Really surprised a short term loan like this has people saying no really.
i don%u2019t think I%u2019ve ever heard anyone class the Turkish league as a top level. And yes he might have been playing in it, but by all accounts he was playing very badly in it

Seems selective, what about champions league and playing international football for Holland? A quick look at the reception he received in said Turkish league and not really many criticising him personally so I'm not sure where this vendetta complex you seem to have with Babel is.

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on August 09, 2020, 01:09:14 AM
Quote from: FFC1987 on August 09, 2020, 12:04:21 AM
Quote from: Twig on August 08, 2020, 10:49:01 PM
I might be in the minority but sadly it's a no from me. He was superb two years ago but he will be 34 in 4 months time. As Statto points out it's the sort of signing of the latter MAF days.

I don't think this is at all to be honest. He's still playing at the very top level, it would be a short term deal and a player who knows the set up, the team and would be relatively cheap. His experience alone would be great in a position we already have ample people in albeit, he'd still be an upgrade. Really surprised a short term loan like this has people saying no really.

"short-term deal"
"relatively cheap"
"experience"

When Jol went to MAF to approve his signings circa 2012, I expect that most of the time those were the exact words he used

This is very different and needless to say, you already know that. We'd be adding experience and quality to a position we don't necessarily need to improve on. So the budget allocated could be better spent elsewhere on say a RB or CB, or current Reed situation pending, a DM. I really don't think the Khans are saying any of those things above and historically speaking, they've proven otherwise so the logic is a little flakey here. Particularly when we're talking about signing an experienced champions league player who still plays at the top levels.

bobbo

Of all the names mentioned on various posts right now he's probably the only one I would say yes to.

Just a simple question why should we be looking to take players ( even though big names ) that are no longer good enough at prem level , otherwise they'd be there.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

S.F.Sorrow

Too old IMO. Pace is(was?) a huge part of his game and I'm not convinced he will offer the same threat at age 34. Has anyone actually seen him play lately? Genuine question, I haven't seen him since he played for us.

Statto

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 09, 2020, 12:48:57 PM
We'd be adding experience and quality to a position we don't necessarily need to improve on. So the budget allocated could be better spent elsewhere on say a RB or CB, or current Reed situation pending, a DM.

We need to improve in that area. With all due respect to Kebano, Kamara, Knockaert and Cavaleiro, if the LW and RW spots are regularly taken by two from that list, then we're on for a disappointing season. They've plenty of experience between them but we need more pace and talent. Luckily we have ample budget for that. We could spend £25m on each of a CB, RB and DM and still sign a big money winger.

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on August 09, 2020, 04:01:37 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on August 09, 2020, 12:48:57 PM
We'd be adding experience and quality to a position we don't necessarily need to improve on. So the budget allocated could be better spent elsewhere on say a RB or CB, or current Reed situation pending, a DM.

We need to improve in that area. With all due respect to Kebano, Kamara, Knockaert and Cavaleiro, if the LW and RW spots are regularly taken by two from that list, then we're on for a disappointing season. They've plenty of experience between them but we need more pace and talent. Luckily we have ample budget for that. We could spend £25m on each of a CB, RB and DM and still sign a big money winger.

Interesting. Wouldn't of put it as a priority myself but I do agree we need more pace in this side!

Whitestone

Quote from: Twig on August 09, 2020, 09:03:44 AM

Well one quality he will be rapidly losing is physical condition. He would be more than two years older and approaching 34. He simply won't be quite the player he was when we brought him in previously. I'm not knocking the guy, he was a light in a dark place last time around but time waits for no man sadly.

I agree, it's possible age may be catching up with him. I don't know and would rely on the club to check that out. His stats must be available. What I will say though is that at 35 Christiano Ronaldo is still doing okay, not that I'm comparing the two other than their respective ages.

fulhamben

Quote from: Whitestone on August 09, 2020, 06:19:36 PM

I agree, it's possible age may be catching up with him. I don't know and would rely on the club to check that out. His stats must be available. What I will say though is that at 35 Christiano Ronaldo is still doing okay, not that I'm comparing the two other than their respective ages.
ronaldo is doing ok, but half the player he was a few years ago. Still good at half mind. Babel is starting from a much lower base than ronaldo
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

rebel

Quote from: fulhamben on August 09, 2020, 06:24:46 PM

ronaldo is doing ok, but half the player he was a few years ago. Still good at half mind. Babel is starting from a much lower base than ronaldo

Ronaldo, Previous season 21 goals in 31 matches, this season 31 goals in 33 matches, don't you hate stats.

Statto

Quote from: rebel on August 09, 2020, 07:17:17 PM

Ronaldo, Previous season 21 goals in 31 matches, this season 31 goals in 33 matches, don't you hate stats.
Ronaldo 5 years ago
48 goals in 35 matches

fulhamben

like I said he is still good at half his ability. Now look at his record in la Liga as to me sire a is a weaker league. For the last four years at Madrid he has slowly declined, it happens when you get old. But if we are seriously contemplating old players then let's go for Rooney. Far better than Babel has ever been and roughly the same age. Any takers for Rooney?

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on August 09, 2020, 07:36:41 PM

Ronaldo 5 years ago
48 goals in 35 matches
yep, and slowly declined every season after that till he left Madrid. It's quite insane to believe 34 year olds will be as good or better even than they were previously. So insane that the only one they can mention to make an arguement is arguably the world greatest player.

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

rebel

Quote from: Statto on August 09, 2020, 07:36:41 PM

Ronaldo 5 years ago
48 goals in 35 matches

So how do you explain his 31goals in 33 matches this season? A resurgence in form?

fulhamben

Quote from: sunburywhite on August 09, 2020, 08:00:35 PM
Lets get Ronaldo
that would make way more sense or like I said Rooney. Shearer looks like he keeps himself in shape too