watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our spine

Started by Twig, August 08, 2020, 10:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twig

Been thinking that with Rodak, Hector, Reed (if we can sign him), Onomah, Cairney and Mitro we are only one CB short of a terrific spine. Prem survival often depends on a solid spine, so come on TK sign Reed and an experienced CB and I will start to feel a spark of optimism.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Twig on August 08, 2020, 10:54:04 PM
Been thinking that with Rodak, Hector, Reed (if we can sign him), Onomah, Cairney and Mitro we are only one CB short of a terrific spine. Prem survival often depends on a solid spine, so come on TK sign Reed and an experienced CB and I will start to feel a spark of optimism.

Yep and yep!

Statto

Without meaning to be critical of players who've been heroes for us recently, IMO most of those names will need to be bang in form and/or up their game slightly just to get into the starting XI of a team that's going to finish higher than 18th in the PL

Rodak - OK, particularly given he should continue to improve this season

Hector - again OK, but he'll look bang average in the PL and needs a partner at least as good as he is

Onomah - not sure, at best he'll look bang average on a good day. Nowhere near good enough on a bad day. But his bad days do seem to be behind him now, and again, a relative youngster, so will hopefully continue to step up his game this season

Cairney - to say he looked bang average last time we were in the PL is probably being kind, hence the apparent lack of interest in him after we went down. If we can get some proper quality around him (eg Anguissa and a £30m winger) we may get by with Cairney but we can't rely on him to be our primary creative force at this level IMO

Motspur Park

I think that if we are to have any chance of staying up, we need 3 top signings in the positions of central defender and central midfield for the spine and a much better right back so that either Christie or Odoi plays as back-up.

The spine of the team needs strengthening.

b+w geezer

If Ollie Norwood can do OK in the Premier League, then so can all of our midfielders if the context is right, as it was for him last season and was in no shape or form for us last time.

Our greater need is finding more goal-threatening support for Mitro. The recruits from last summer had Championship scoring pedigree and largely failed to reproduce it. They lack much of one at Prem level.

Even without defence strengthening (no question desirable) we are set to be less spectacularly leaky this time around, but expecting a series of clean sheets is another matter. A 1-0 defeat earns no more points than a 3-0 one. At least two meaningful additions are needed in this area, the first of which I would make higher priority even  than any other mentioned so far above.

3-lions

Take a look at the fixture list ppl. even before the PL season begins there are 2 international matches the week before. So there is further disruption to pre-season preparations and new players gelling with existing players.

Of the Spine, Rodak, Mitro will be away. Hector could be away if Jamaica are playing. So, I of the mind to keep the spine as it is (Reed included) but add to the other parts RB, LCB, LB (maybe backup to Bryan) , backup GK, backup CF, AM. There is already 4-5-6 new players there, there simply isn't time to integrate more players this preseason.

Twig

Quote from: Statto on August 08, 2020, 11:56:13 PM
Without meaning to be critical of players who've been heroes for us recently, IMO most of those names will need to be bang in form and/or up their game slightly just to get into the starting XI of a team that's going to finish higher than 18th in the PL

Rodak - OK, particularly given he should continue to improve this season

Hector - again OK, but he'll look bang average in the PL and needs a partner at least as good as he is

Onomah - not sure, at best he'll look bang average on a good day. Nowhere near good enough on a bad day. But his bad days do seem to be behind him now, and again, a relative youngster, so will hopefully continue to step up his game this season

Cairney - to say he looked bang average last time we were in the PL is probably being kind, hence the apparent lack of interest in him after we went down. If we can get some proper quality around him (eg Anguissa and a £30m winger) we may get by with Cairney but we can't rely on him to be our primary creative force at this level IMO

Hmmm, I think it's a bit different this time around for TC. Last time our CB partnership was weak and we didn't have a strong defensive midfielder. With Hector +1 and Reed (I did say depending on signing Reed), then TC won't be in a team that is constantly under pressure of being overwhelmed. I'd expect to see a different TC in those circumstances but if not then fair enough, I'm over optimistic.

rebel

Quote from: b+w geezer on August 09, 2020, 08:30:41 AM
If Ollie Norwood can do OK in the Premier League, then so can all of our midfielders if the context is right, as it was for him last season and was in no shape or form for us last time.

Our greater need is finding more goal-threatening support for Mitro. The recruits from last summer had Championship scoring pedigree and largely failed to reproduce it. They lack much of one at Prem level.

Even without defence strengthening (no question desirable) we are set to be less spectacularly leaky this time around, but expecting a series of clean sheets is another matter. A 1-0 defeat earns no more points than a 3-0 one. At least two meaningful additions are needed in this area, the first of which I would make higher priority even  than any other mentioned so far above.

Good post. Not signing Norwood, a total blunder, so shortsighted. This is a bit like 'Lego' getting all the correct pieces to fit. You can fit the pieces any which way, you still get something, it works, but falls short.   

filham

Fully agree b+w geezer, our spine is good , to improve any of those positions would cost us a lot  of money that would be better spent on a goal scorer. Also we need continuity and Rodak, Hector, Reed, Cairney and Mitro are the obvious players to provide that.

Every one is writing off Ream, please look at his record for the season and remember his partnership with Hector is probably the best we have seen since Hangerland and Hughes.

Classic94

Quote from: filham on August 09, 2020, 09:49:58 AM

Fully agree b+w geezer, our spine is good , to improve any of those positions would cost us a lot  of money that would be better spent on a goal scorer. Also we need continuity and Rodak, Hector, Reed, Cairney and Mitro are the obvious players to provide that.

Every one is writing off Ream, please look at his record for the season and remember his partnership with Hector is probably the best we have seen since Hangerland and Hughes.

Ream can still be a dependable squad player in the PL, but there's no way he should be starting. He's too slow and will get caught out at the top level.

Statto

If our starting CBs and CMs are Ream, Hector, Onomah, Reed, Cairney, we go down. No question.

toshes mate

A really good post.  The comment about the midfield 'context' is particularly apposite since it is not just a link between defence and attack but also the engine room.  Getting the midfield right will also have a knock-on effect elsewhere including both defence and attack where Mitro really does need to be given at least a semblance of competition from within the squad.  There are still weaknesses on both flanks and there are a multitude of ways of fixing the problems but if we are going to do better than a fight for PL survival then some very deep thought needs to be applied.  The solutions do not necessarily have to be counted in very large sums of money as the Norwood scenario suggests.   

Tabby

I don't think Norwood would have solved as many problems for Fulham as people keep saying, he wasn't as a good a fit to the system as he is at Sheffield United.

But that doesn't mean that players are incapable of taking the step up. For example Dan Burn has managed to establish himself as a decent PL-level LB at the tender age of 28 after looking like an average Championship CB for years. I don't think anyone here saw that coming.

rebel

Quote from: Tabby on August 09, 2020, 11:11:24 AM
I don't think Norwood would have solved as many problems for Fulham as people keep saying, he wasn't as a good a fit to the system as he is at Sheffield United.

But that doesn't mean that players are incapable of taking the step up. For example Dan Burn has managed to establish himself as a decent PL-level LB at the tender age of 28 after looking like an average Championship CB for years. I don't think anyone here saw that coming.

Regarding Dan Burn, there was no question that he had the 'ability', decision making was the main issues. Had Roy Hodgson still been at Fulham when he arrived, it would have been a different story.

Tabby

Quote from: rebel on August 09, 2020, 11:16:44 AM

Regarding Dan Burn, there was no question that he had the 'ability', decision making was the main issues. Had Roy Hodgson still been at Fulham when he arrived, it would have been a different story.

The main point is that he is now a LB. The system that Potter has set up has let him perform better than players like Targett in a role I don't think anyone here was expecting.

Sone Aluko also looked like a top player in the Slavisa Jokanovic team, but he did dreadfully when put in Reading. The system is the most important part.

b+w geezer

But that doesn't mean that players are incapable of taking the step up. For example Dan Burn ...etc.

This is really what I intended to imply by my Norwood mention.

Tabby

Quote from: b+w geezer on August 09, 2020, 11:47:13 AM

It is nothing personally directed at you, I think Norwood is a good example of a player stepping up but I don't think he would have been able to do it in the same way at Fulham. And I have seen a lot of people arguing that he'd have been the missing piece of the puzzle, so it is more of a general observation.

rebel

Quote from: Tabby on August 09, 2020, 12:23:20 PM

It is nothing personally directed at you, I think Norwood is a good example of a player stepping up but I don't think he would have been able to do it in the same way at Fulham. And I have seen a lot of people arguing that he'd have been the missing piece of the puzzle, so it is more of a general observation.

Well that's 3 times Norwood has stepped up, 3 teams getting promoted to the Prem, playing different styles. I'm also fairly sure that he could adapt to out style of football, considering he played 36 times for us.   

Tabby

Quote from: rebel on August 09, 2020, 12:29:21 PM
Quote from: Tabby on August 09, 2020, 12:23:20 PM

Well that's 3 times Norwood has stepped up, 3 teams getting promoted to the Prem, playing different styles. I'm also fairly sure that he could adapt to out style of football, considering he played 36 times for us.   

He didn't play over 30 minutes in any of the last 20 games of the season when all the other midfielders were fit. A large reason that he got so many games was because Cairney injury problems, not because he outperformed them. He was a good team player, but he was a rotational option.

Compare that to Sheffield United where he started every game and was substituted twice. The team was built with him in mind.

WindyCity

Quote from: Twig on August 08, 2020, 10:54:04 PM
we are only one CB short of a terrific spine.

Methinks we need much more than that to rate terrific.  Much more needed for back four.  Absolutely one prem quality CB, if not two!  Still need some midfield help with prem quality.  As much as we all like TC, and I do, still not sold he is prem quality tbh.  And we need another attacker/striker/winger to bolster the offense.  Those are just minimum gets.  Probably need at least 4-6 new players, all prem or near prem quality.

Edit.....Speaking of spine strength, can anyone tell me what the status and outlook would be for Kongolo?  Does he rate as prem or near prem quality?  I assume he is still in the team.