https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Starting 11 for the Prem——-

Started by FulhamStu, August 09, 2020, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on August 10, 2020, 01:05:15 AM
Quote from: Matt10 on August 10, 2020, 12:03:33 AM
New RB - first choice for me, even though we're not linked, is Deandre Yedlin. Has the pace, good passing and experience in the PL is significant.
-----

I choose Ream because Hector-Ream combo has been untouched for a while. Why break what doesn't need fixing?

Why sign a new RB then? If alternating between Odoi and Christie was good enough it get us promoted, it's obviously working well.

We need a number of reinforcements, but the upgrade we need before pre-season is left-center back. For me, Tim Ream is not even good enough to be our first choice LCB for automatic promotion in the championship, Alfie Mawson is basically still coming back from injury and other center-backs (MLM and Odoi) may only have another season at premier league squad standard left in them. 

We need to start creating a great central defensive partnership for the next few seasons that can both keep us up or help us get back up if we go down. Other positions like wingers, strikers, and full-backs can be parachuted in closer to the start of the season (or just before deadline day around game five) as required more easily.

Matt10

New RB - first choice for me, even though we're not linked, is Deandre Yedlin. Has the pace, good passing and experience in the PL is significant.
-----

I choose Ream because Hector-Ream combo has been untouched for a while. Why break what doesn't need fixing?

Why sign a new RB then? If alternating between Odoi and Christie was good enough it get us promoted, it's obviously working well.

I'd be fine with Christie. Odoi still has moments that leave me shaking my head, but he's been good overall. I personally like Yedlin a lot. Have followed his career since he played for Seattle with Dempsey. His pace is still very good, and can cross a ball in. He's been a bit too injury prone over the years, and his size isn't the best, but I think it would be an interesting fold to the RB competition.

Mullers OG

Assuming the premier league rules allow only 25 players over a certain age to be registered then the first priority should be making some space for new players. 

There are one or two who may wish to leave such as Bettinelli and Johanson (possibly McDonald and Mawson) to get first team football elsewhere and there are one or two who are not good enough to stay such as MLM, Opoku and Kamara.

That would allow room for a new CB, a new RB, a CDM and a striker.  A top class CB is in my opinion necessary.  Odoi and Christie (and Sess and Fossey) can cover if need be at RB so a new RB would be nice but is not essential.  Odoi can cover Bryan at LB.  Reed and/or Anguissa at CDM and, most important of all, a back up is needed for Mitrovic up front.  The lack of a decent striker to play when Mitro is injured or suspended, or to come on if we need to go with 2 up front, has been obvious all season. 

Cav, Knockhaert and Kebano are alright without being great, although sometimes it takes time to really settle into a new club and new tactics.  A top class addition there would not go amiss.

With Norman having left the club may need a new GK if Bettinelli leaves.

Above all quality rather than quantity.

The Cravenette

Quote from: Whitestone on August 09, 2020, 05:59:46 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 09, 2020, 05:44:04 PM
:005:

Well, we can all at least agree that we need a starting RB instead of Odoi or Christie no?

I'm ok with sending out the squad that recently lost to Leeds and see where we stand, then we go from there. (except the RB spot)

Bring in players to challenge existing starters...but see how the starters do. 

We 100% can't start a Premier League season with Tim Ream. He was out of his depth last time. It would be so wrong to go down that route again. The club must act fast and secure a quality partner for Hector. The position is critical to Premier League survival even at this early stage of preparation.

I do agree but I thought he played brilliantly in the final.  And he did ping a beautiful pass out to Knockhaert.  He will be back up for sure.  Where does that leave Mawson and MLM?

Statto

Quote from: The Cravenette on August 10, 2020, 01:10:34 PM

Well, we can all at least agree that we need a starting RB instead of Odoi or Christie no?

I'm ok with sending out the squad that recently lost to Leeds and see where we stand, then we go from there. (except the RB spot)

We 100% can't start a Premier League season with Tim Ream. He was out of his depth last time. It would be so wrong to go down that route again. The club must act fast and secure a quality partner for Hector. The position is critical to Premier League survival even at this early stage of preparation.

I do agree but I thought he played brilliantly in the final.  And he did ping a beautiful pass out to Knockhaert.  He will be back up for sure.  Where does that leave Mawson and MLM?

He also pinged about five passes straight to Brentford players

Maidstone Lee

Rodak

New RB--Hector--New CB--Bryan (for now)

Reed

Anguissa   Onomah

New RW                              Babel

Mitrovic
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

S.F.Sorrow

Agreed. A new LCB must be our main priority.

bobby01

I actually think a new lcb is the priority, ream has done really well for us in his time here, but he was badly shown up in our last pl visit and he is 2 years older now. Also a good quality lcb will I think be able to cover for Bryan more and in turn give him more confidence.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Bassey the warrior

Rodak

Aarons--Hector--Kongolo/Tomori--Bryan

Reed

Anguissa   Onomah

Buendia                            Babel

Mitrovic

General

Quote from: Maidstone Lee on August 10, 2020, 01:24:13 PM
                   Rodak

New RB--Hector--New CB--Bryan (for now)

Reed

Anguissa   Onomah

New RW                              Babel

Mitrovic

It's clear everyone thinks we need at least 5 players with three key being LCB, RB, CM and RW. And that doesn't necessarily include buying Reed and maybe Arter.

I'd say Babel and Anguissa are two obvious bring backs from our last season. Babel was class whilst Anguissa towards the end and after Parker became our manager really showed his class, he's done even better at Villareal and I'd be suprised if he came back under contract and didn't want to either give a good showing of himself or make amends.

Seri - lesser league, less interested in keeping.

Lordedmundo

I believe that there is a danger of going too far the other way here - too much loyalty to the team that got us promoted.  I think we agree that there were too many changes last time out, but provided we can get Reed signed up - essential are two signings in defence at RB and CB (Kongolo) to go straight into the starting line-up.  They should immediately replace Ream and Christie, who just don't have the pace for the Premier League.  Both of these players are fine however as back-up.

In terms of other signings - then I believe that another 1-2 players up front (Babel would be a cheap but fairly reliable signing) and possibly another centre half like Ampadu to be third choice will be enough. This is bearing in mind that Kongolo can cover at left back and Ampadu apparently at defensive midfield.

My view on Anguissa and Seri is that we should sell them if possible (ditto Mawson, MLM and Knockaert), with loan as a fall back option.  I agree that Anguissa has potential, but don't think he deserves to just walk back into the team.  I do hope that Steve Sess or Fossey can make the RB slot their own in 1-2 seasons, but for now they need regular playing time on loan...

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Mullers OG on August 10, 2020, 10:17:37 AM
Assuming the premier league rules allow only 25 players over a certain age to be registered then the first priority should be making some space for new players. 

No space is required to be made for additions, we currently have four spots available in the squad, which is enough to get us an RB, CB, LB and CF, plus we can additionally bring youth centre-back Ethan Ampadu for extra defensive cover.

Probable Start of Season Squad (25 adults and 3 youth)
GK: Rodak, Betts, Fabri
FB: New RB, New LB, Christie, Bryan, S.Sess
CB: Hector, New LCB, Mawson, Ream, MLM
MF: Anguissa, Cairney, Onamah, Seri, Stefjo, KMac
WF: Cav, Knockaert, Kebano, Kamara
CF: Mitro, New FW, Stansfield
Utility: Ethan Ampadu (CB/DM) and Reid (AM/LW/CF)

Further Additions have natural players to send on loan (or sell)
buying another goalkeeper would probably mean Betts or Fabri would ask to move on.
buying another defensive midfielder (e.g. Reed) would probably mean KMac or Seri would ask to move on.
buying another central midfielder (e.g. Arter) would probably mean Stefjo or Seri would ask to move on.
buying another winger (eg. Babel) would probably mean Kamara or Kebano would go on loan to get game time.

In conclusion, we have enough space for a GK, RB, RCB, LCB, LB, DM, CM, RW and CF without telling anyone to leave.

3-lions

Rad Fan, funny you have Ampatu named, but leave out Arter and Reed?
Also a bit puzzled you seem to rate Cav, Knocky and D-Reid over and above Kamara and freekick taker Kebano. Read recently only 2 players had scored more than Kebano from Direct Freekicks in PL and EPL in 2019 season. So would be very useful to keep about. :wow:

The Rational Fan

Quote from: 3-lions on August 11, 2020, 01:07:09 PM
Also a bit puzzled you seem to rate Cav, Knocky and D-Reid over and above Kamara and freekick taker Kebano. Read recently only 2 players had scored more than Kebano from Direct Freekicks in PL and EPL in 2019 season. So would be very useful to keep about. :wow:

It's hard to judge Kebano and Kamara, they definitely need more chances to prove or disprove people's belief in them. Kebano and Kamara need to play preseason, because if their current form continues with Mitro on Fire (plus Knock, Cav, Reid and Stansfield as backups) then we have one of the strongest front-lines ever to be promoted from the championship. Before we get too excited, Kebano from we know now is not yet a premier league player and would need at least a half dozen more games of recent quality to convince me, especially as Parker has seen him all season and mostly didn't pick him.

I think Cav, Knocky, Reid, Kamara, and Kebano are all excellent premier league squad players, but all would struggle to start in other teams. If we bring in additional wingers, then it is because Kamara and Kebano aren't good enough to be premier league starters and both of them need game time to improve as they have both spent a lot of time training and not much time playing. Kebano or Kamara could improve significantly if on loan for half a season, which would help us long term especially if they play the second half of the season or if they play for us next season.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 11, 2020, 01:19:08 PM

I think Cav, Knocky, Reid, Kamara, and Kebano are all excellent premier league squad players, but all would struggle to start in other teams. If we bring in additional wingers, then it is because Kamara and Kebano aren't good enough to be premier league starters and both of them need game time to improve as they have both spent a lot of time training and not much time playing. Kebano or Kamara could improve significantly if on loan for half a season, which would help us long term especially if they play the second half of the season or if they play for us next season.

I would select Kamara and Kebano over and above the likes of Knockaert Cav and Reid, Kebano and Kamara have both made an impact now that they have been given an opportunity whereas Cav and Knockaert are not team players and have had their chance. Reid has been ok cannot really fault but Knock and Cav flatter to deceive.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 11, 2020, 01:38:35 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 11, 2020, 01:19:08 PM

I would select Kamara and Kebano over and above the likes of Knockaert Cav and Reid, Kebano and Kamara have both made an impact now that they have been given an opportunity whereas Cav and Knockaert are not team players and have had their chance. Reid has been ok cannot really fault but Knock and Cav flatter to deceive.

I must say the two wingers are the most confusing position in the squad at the moment. I think the preseason priority must be adding to our defense and getting a backup striker, then seeing if any of our wingers start to shine. Lets hope Kebano's form continues and he can be a starter, because his attitude is second to none.

The Rational Fan

-----

The Ream-Odoi partnership conceded 13 goals in the last 23 games and then failed dismally in the Premier League. The Ream-Hector partnership conceded 21 goals in the last 23 games so I wouldn't expect it to go better in the premier league. Ream wouldn't start for any Premier League team, and if he plays attacks will target him. Hector is no way near good enough to cover for Ream in Premier League like he does in the Championship. We need at least one CB and possibly two CB's during the summer, once we have a settled centre back pairing other issues can resolve themselves.

We Are Premier League

Rodak

Ivanovic--Hector--Kongolo--Bryan

Reed

Anguissa   Onomah

Kamara                              Babel

Mitrovic

deadcowboys

Not sure i see the point in picking a line up & including players who have not signed for us. May of course just be the heat getting to me.

roberto w6

IMO, one of the most critical positions for us is going to be the midfield anchor man or CDM, as the role now seems to be called.

99% of people on here seem to think that Harrison Reed will do the job at PL level. I like him, he had a great end to the season but I've also seen him struggle. I think we should have some PL level alternatives here. KMcD has probably seen his best years and StefJo seems massively out of favour. I'd look for an alternative with PL proven experience who could fight for a place with Reed. Sadly, nobody springs to mind but I do think we are deluding ourselves if we think Reed is going to be the lynch-pin of staying up.