watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Antonee Robinson

Started by FulhamStu, August 28, 2020, 09:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamStu

I watched the full 90 minutes of our recent game at Wigan, not as bad a game as I was led to believe and was very impressed with Wigan generally.  A few interesting observations, one being Mitro did not look at  all fit, Cairney passed the ball backwards 90% of the time, Ream looked in top form and Bryan and Kebano both impressed.

The one thing that really stood out however was how good Robinson was for Wigan.  This lad has serious pace, very rarely gave the ball away and defended well. He gave Odoi all sorts of problems going forward and was a real threat attacking down their left side.   I think it's going to be very difficult to chose between him and Bryan.   He is an excellent player right now and should only improve.   If he could play right back, which I don't think he can as he is quite left footed, that is exactly what we need on the right side.   I understand that Bryan can play further forward but we have choices already at left sided attack without needing to push Bryan further up.

Anyway, a great buy and really looking forward to seeing Robinson this coming season.

rebel

A nice problem to have. For me Bryan wasn't consistent going forward and getting crosses in. But Parker will start with Bryan if he is still at the club. He deserves too, my player of the season.

General

Don't rule out Bryan playing on the wing. Seven assists from defence is not bad going and if he's in those positions more often then I imagine he could do a job there.

shepperton white

One problem I see is that a queue is beginning form of people wanting to buy Joe - really hope we keep them both of the because we will need to add strength in depth which means two good players in some positions - defense being one

S.F.Sorrow

Antonee Robinson looks very impressive but only one assist last season is slightly worrying (I believe Bryan had seven?). If we were in the Championship with Mitro up front I'm sure he would get more assists, but in the Premier League?

Wigan was actually on promotion form post lockdown when Robinson was a regular starter. He did miss 8 games when he had his heart surgery but still... Only one assist in 38 games isn't very impressive for an attacking full back.

Like I said in another thread he seems a bit like the LB version of Knockaert: Very impressive skills and solid defensively but he often seems to be holding on to the ball for too long. His passing stats are surprisingly poor (but could be very misleading of course).

Hopefully he will turn out great. He looks very impressive but I still hope we keep Bryan. We need competition/cover in all positions. They also seem like completely different types of players and it might be a good idea to have different options available.

alfie

I'm going to take my usual position and judge players on what they do in a Fulham shirt.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

filham

I think left back was about the only position we didn't have cover for, now we have two players for each position providing we sign Reed soon.
Time to get a couple of top class proven players who will come in and take over a position.

bencher

Quote from: filham on August 28, 2020, 12:26:28 PM
I think left back was about the only position we didn't have cover for, now we have two players for each position providing we sign Reed soon.
Time to get a couple of top class proven players who will come in and take over a position.

The tricky thing about "proven" players is they have to start all over again when they join a new club. Mawson was a proven PL player. Seri was "proven" and wanted by bigger clubs. Stekelenburg had played in a WC final. The list goes on. I get more satisfaction from unproven players proving themselves, like how Onomah seized a starting place. I don't mind whether we bring in big-time Charlies or up and comers, I just want them to reach their potential in a Fulham shirt and improve the team.

rebel

Quote from: General on August 28, 2020, 10:49:55 AM
Don't rule out Bryan playing on the wing. Seven assists from defence is not bad going and if he's in those positions more often then I imagine he could do a job there.

He should have had more assists, his runs forward, taking on players, kind of petered out, that's after he came back from injury.

Carborundum

He was even better at the Cottage earlier in the season, causing one or two of us to intermittently  bang on about him ever since.  Looking forward to seeing him in a Fulham shirt.  He may take a little while to fit in with our patterns, so patience required. 

Statto

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on August 28, 2020, 11:40:53 AM
Antonee Robinson looks very impressive but only one assist last season is slightly worrying (I believe Bryan had seven?). If we were in the Championship with Mitro up front I'm sure he would get more assists, but in the Premier League?

Wigan was actually on promotion form post lockdown when Robinson was a regular starter. He did miss 8 games when he had his heart surgery but still... Only one assist in 38 games isn't very impressive for an attacking full back.

Like I said in another thread he seems a bit like the LB version of Knockaert: Very impressive skills and solid defensively but he often seems to be holding on to the ball for too long. His passing stats are surprisingly poor (but could be very misleading of course).

Hopefully he will turn out great. He looks very impressive but I still hope we keep Bryan. We need competition/cover in all positions. They also seem like completely different types of players and it might be a good idea to have different options available.

I share your concerns

In the lengthy YouTube montage of his highlights shared on here recently, there wasn't a single cross

Then again, Fredericks couldn't cross a ball to save his life but is generally perceived to be a PL quality full back that we'd love to return

General

as long as he's good enough at tackling and defending, I won't care too much about his attacking exploits. He does look weak going forward in terms of his pass completion being only in the 60-65% catergory, but he's got pace to burn and hopefully he'll work on that.

Lyle from Hangeland

Antonee isn't a finished product. I think he is continuing to improve and that is why we've picked him up. Defensively, he hasn't looked that great with the US men's national team, but this goes back a year or so.

FulhamStu

Quote from: Carborundum on August 28, 2020, 01:36:27 PM
He was even better at the Cottage earlier in the season, causing one or two of us to intermittently  bang on about him ever since.  Looking forward to seeing him in a Fulham shirt.  He may take a little while to fit in with our patterns, so patience required. 

Just watched the Fulham v Wigan home game again and whilst Robinson showed some good signs, again strong going forward etc, he was nothing like as effective as the last game at Wigan.  Think he was more reserved and not able to get forward so much.   Turned out a pretty comfortable 2-0 win, esp once Super Bryan scored another right footer.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on August 28, 2020, 04:16:02 PM
Antonee isn't a finished product. I think he is continuing to improve and that is why we've picked him up. Defensively, he hasn't looked that great with the US men's national team, but this goes back a year or so.

This is 100% accurate. This board's expectations may be too high for him right out of the gate, but he has potential for sure. If Bryan isn't sold, there's no debate as to who the starting LB to open the season is.

YankeeJim

Memories are short around here.
I remember before the New World Order lockdown that Bryan was consistanly bashed for poor defensive skills. He had a great match at Wembley but was not and is not a consistent defender. I don't know if it is Scott's plan to move him forward or move him on but I welcome Robinson.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

FFC1987

Quote from: YankeeJim on August 28, 2020, 04:53:25 PM
Memories are short around here.
I remember before the New World Order lockdown that Bryan was consistanly bashed for poor defensive skills. He had a great match at Wembley but was not and is not a consistent defender. I don't know if it is Scott's plan to move him forward or move him on but I welcome Robinson.

I think everyone welcomes him to be fair. It's just a strange one as, after that final, its funny that the first player we sign, is a LB when he was out and out, a star in that game. I still hold rservations about Bryans defensive capabilities but he made comments that during lockdown etc he'd worked hard on that aspect of his game and it seems he's improving as games went on.

Cairney insta'ing that he was rapid was music to my ears. He brings a definite quality to his position and team that I think we sorely missed last season in pace, so, I'm excited for the lad. Can't wait to see what he can do!