watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Chris Smalling...would you take him?

Started by AnOldBrownie, August 10, 2020, 01:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnOldBrownie

He's a pretty good defending CB that has premier league experience.    He's 30, stays relatively healthy.    He's not great with the ball at his feet, but neither is Ream imo.   Chris is a much better defender than Ream.

Opinions?

Not sure why United wouldn't sell him to Roma.   It's not like he's going to get a lot of minutes with United this season, and they may end up bringing in another, younger CB.    Heck, they still have Axel Tuanzebe on the squad who was very good for Villa.

hongkongfulham

no transfer is a guaranteed success (or failure), but this has a lot of positives for me. Not too old for a CB, just had a great year, bags of top flight experience and been here before.

If United look to offload he seems a dead cert to go to someone like Everton though, or back to Italy

The Rational Fan

I really think we need to sign a centre back that has at least five seasons left in their career and is prepared to play with us in the championship and premier league as required. Chris Smalling could be such a player, but I doubt it. Phil Jones might be more interesting depending on his expected career longevity. Although if we pick up one young center-back for a future possible championship runs and get Chris Smalling for this season as well that would be very wise.

Deuce

Smalldini was Romas best defender this season, so him even considering moving to Fulham would be huge.

Would take him in a heartbeat. Buy him, loan him, whatever.

cmg

Top class international defender of great experience but with a few miles still left on the clock.
Not only Roma's best defender last season, but  Whoscored's highest rated Serie A centre back.

We should be so lucky.

[In looking up the Whoscored ratings, I notice that Jesse Joronen was their highest rated Serie A goalkeeper. (They rated Rodak top in the Championship.)]

blingo

Not for Blingo. It wouldn't work because his heart wouldn't be in it.

WhiteJC

I'm not convinced that Smalling would want to come back as he doesn't appear to have taken much interest in Fulham since leaving unlike some of our previous players.
I think he saw us as a stepping stone on his way up

General

Of course, think we'd all have him back if he wanted to come. He's a top premier league and international CB. We could do with his pace, composure and experience 100%. I'd be surprised if he did come and it'd represent quite a coup as I think he's probably outgrown his Fulham experience (he wasn't with us very long).

SuffolkWhite

Don't see why not, but with all new signings we have to make sure the player actually wants to come! No more Seri's please.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Deeping_white

I'd love to have him back but I'm not sure we'd be able to get him. Reckon we'd have a better shout at Phil Jones, although he's not been at his best and playing regularly for some time so that's a bit of a risk in itself

filham

Smalling would be a great signing, bu essential we ask the question  "do you want to play for Fulham again"
Afraid he may look upon us as his first downhill step.

Twig

If Smalling wanted to come back to us then I'd snap him up (subject to wage expectations).

Bassey the warrior

grandad

He has had a few Senderos moments. Not nearly as good as Hector. Only marginally better than Ream.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Sting of the North

Quote from: grandad on August 10, 2020, 12:31:32 PM
He has had a few Senderos moments. Not nearly as good as Hector. Only marginally better than Ream.

I disagree as strongly as possible. I believe a motivated Smalling would be our best defender by a huge distance. Unfortunately I don't think we will ever find out.

FFC1987

Quote from: Sting of the North on August 10, 2020, 12:33:25 PM
Quote from: grandad on August 10, 2020, 12:31:32 PM

I disagree as strongly as possible. I believe a motivated Smalling would be our best defender by a huge distance. Unfortunately I don't think we will ever find out.

I think on the surface I agree, but I'm looking forward to finding out how Hector fares in the EPL. Could be a revelation...could be found out so fingers crossed for him. I'd have Smalling back in a heart beat. Always thought he was a good defender albeit just not for a top 4 team.

alfie

Quote from: blingo on August 10, 2020, 08:49:32 AM
Not for Blingo. It wouldn't work because his heart wouldn't be in it.
Hi Blingo, why would you say that? Surely that's something that equates to all transfers.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Mullers OG

Smalling to Fulham would be one of the great signings - a top class international defender with bags of experience at a peak age.

Sadly it isn't likely to happen.  Both Juventus and Inter Milan, as well as Roma, are said to be interested in his signature.  Any sensible player would of course prefer Fulham to any of those clubs (as we are the best club in the world) but the opportunity to play in the Champions League might prevail.

ByTheRiver

I hate to be a party pooper, but Smalling isn't coming to Fulham in this window. Not after starring in Serie A and being one of the top players. So I fear all opinions are a little irrelevant sadly.

KingofCheese

Not for me as we had a player with the same name years ago but got rid - this is like the John Collins, Collins John things or the two Moussa Dembeles - great joke but it wears thin...lets find a player whose name we haven't already had in the team.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas