https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Otamendi Available for £8 Million

Started by fulhamfever, August 10, 2020, 10:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhamfever

Just saw this on SKY SPORTS

'CITY TO SLASH OTAMENDI PRICE'
Manchester City are ready to slash the asking price for Nicolas Otamendi after the £41m signing of defender Nathan Ake, according to The Sun.
City are willing to go from £15m to just £8m for the 32-year-old Argentine, who has 210 City appearances.

Bassey the warrior

I'd love him or Stones but wages would be too much. Same with Smalling.

Statto

Maidstone Lee

Quote from: Statto on August 10, 2020, 01:14:49 PM
Another grandad. No over 28s please.

So long as their fit enough and can do the job what does it matter how old they are? I get the sell on value argument but if they can do the job that keeps us up then surely experienced pro's are a must in the Prem?
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

ByTheRiver

Wages would be astronomical given where he is coming from. He would want a two or three year deal (minimum) as a last decent contract so when added together and coupled with the fact there would be zero resale value at the end of the contract, it is an expensive move with more potential cons than pros.

General

First season back and with the khan's backing I don't yet fear the trap we had under all fayed where money wasn't available and we ended up with a constantly old squad.

Like smelling, first season back with the experience he has I'd take him. Would add a lot to the squad, team and club I imagine through his experience and profile.

Sgt Fulham

Could be excellent, could be a liability that disrupts the changing room.

FFC1987

Now this is teh type of signing I'd agree with Statto and age on. Why would we spend 8m and have hefty wages on a 32 year old. Sure, he'd improve on Ream but we don't want to tie ourselves to retiring players on these sorts of contracts.

Twig

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 10, 2020, 02:42:45 PM
Now this is teh type of signing I'd agree with Statto and age on. Why would we spend 8m and have hefty wages on a 32 year old. Sure, he'd improve on Ream but we don't want to tie ourselves to retiring players on these sorts of contracts.

Agree with you and Statto. Just not financially viable.

Classic94

Yep, signing ageing players to lucrative contracts isn't sustainable. I'd much rather we target younger, hungrier players.

rebel

From what I remember, he does make mistakes. Also remember, If you're in a City team you could play badly and still look good. In essence if they had 'passengers' in the team, those 'passangers' would look good. 

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Statto on August 10, 2020, 01:14:49 PM
Another grandad. No over 28s please.
How much are you willing to spend for a quality EPL CB under the age of 28? I know, we can always get another MLM.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

Southcoastffc

Michael Hector born 19 July 1992 (age 28 years and 3 weeks)  :003:
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Classic94 on August 10, 2020, 03:49:37 PM

Yep, signing ageing players to lucrative contracts isn't sustainable. I'd much rather we target younger, hungrier players.
Like?

Mind it's going to be our most important signing...and Nathan Ake set the bar at 40 million.

Statto

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 10, 2020, 04:18:52 PM

Like?

Mind it's going to be our most important signing...and Nathan Ake set the bar at 40 million.

Well Hector set another bar at £8m. And that is probably the bar we should be looking at rather than expecting to compete with Manchester City.

IMO for £15-20m we should be able to find a solid LCB in his mid-twenties.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Statto on August 10, 2020, 04:21:30 PM

Like?

Well Hector set another bar at £8m. And that is probably the bar we should be looking at rather than expecting to compete with Manchester City.

In the CHAMPIONSHIP he was 8 million.  How much did MAWSON cost, and a player like Smalling is, even now, better and more reliable than Mawson.

Statto

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 10, 2020, 04:25:48 PM
Quote from: Statto on August 10, 2020, 04:21:30 PM

Like?

In the CHAMPIONSHIP he was 8 million.  How much did MAWSON cost, and a player like Smalling is, even now, better and more reliable than Mawson.

Mawson cost £15-20m and Smalling cost a box of tracksuits. So this doesn't change my view.

AnOldBrownie

Nothing is going to change your opinion apparently. Provide a viable alternative that meets your criteria for under 30 million. Someone that will partner well defensively with Joe Bryan on the left side?

Smalling can do it.

Mind...I don't want Otemendi. I rate old Smalling higher than him.

OldBrownShoe

Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

Pluto

No brainer of the wages are halfway reasonable (which I suspect they won't be unfortunately)