more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Otamendi Available for £8 Million

Started by fulhamfever, August 10, 2020, 10:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roberto w6

I'd re-sign Smalling in a heartbeat.
His experience since leaving us could really make a positive difference at PL level. Just looked and he is 30 which means he could have another 2-3 years left at the top level.
What I saw of him in his last 2 years in the PL (admittedly on MOTD) he looked better than Jones, McGuire, Lindelorf and Bailly. Not sure how he has done last year in Italy but I'd take a punt

ByTheRiver

Quote from: roberto w6 on August 10, 2020, 08:56:24 PM
Not sure how he has done last year in Italy but I'd take a punt

He did very well last year in Italy, and therein lies the problem...

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on August 10, 2020, 01:14:49 PM
Another grandad. No over 28s please.

The Khan's took over this club to do things differently that is better than MAF financially. Financially according to the FFC accounts, MAF reign was a disaster as he constantly refreshing squad every few seasons, and now with FFP such spending is not allowed. Fulham need to build a squad that can get  17th this season and not need a huge revamp if we stay up or go down. For me, the most important partnership is this team are the those between the centre backs, we need to buy a young centre back (under 25 yo) before preseason that will stay at his peak for with us for five years.

Any older player should be short-term, with the objective of keeping us up, but we must move away gradually from short-term solutions. We need to stop selling players as new players cost much too much, renew existing players is much better value. For example, we could add three season to Seri's contract (ie £9.3m) for less money than it cost to get Knockaert for the next three seasons (ie £16.4m), even though either are probably premier league starters and both are useful bench players.

wheelerdeeler

Otamendi's 8m in the same way that Alexis Sanchez went to Inter for "Free". Ridiculous wages.

Disagree with a blanket "nobody over 28" rule though, Generally speaking I do want us to get our Average Age down this summer with the buying power/Premier League factor we have but there is a place for over 28 signings as shown by signings like Joao Moutinho to Wolves when they went up with us two years ago. And even closer to home, Babel was probably our best player when we signed him. They just have to be the "right" signings, but we don't know that without letting the season unfold of course.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on August 11, 2020, 01:28:55 AM
Babel was probably our best player when we signed him.

While I agree that Babel was a small investment that got us a significant number of extra points, we still went down so the money was 100% wasted no differently to Schurrle. We need to invest money this season into players that can achieve three objectives: i) keep us up next season, ii) get us back up if we go down, and iii) keep us up if we get promoted into premier league another time. Older players are good at the first objective, weaker at the second objective, and probably useless at the third objective. I would prefer to buy players that are excellent at the second and third objectives.

A good reality check would tell us that Fulham's objective this season is to finish 17th or prepare for another Championship promotion campaign. Our current parachute payments finish on the playoff final on the 27th May 2023 and then we will only have 10 players between 23 and 30 yo (including Rodak, S.Sess, Bryan, Hector, Anguissa, Kamara, Onamah, Mitro, Reid and Cav). We need at least another CB, Mawson renewed too and several younger bench players.

Conclusion: If we want to build a future we need to be buying players that are good now but will peak around 27th May 2023 (so currently 23 yo to 25yo), because we will probably be either be in the premier league still fighting to avoid relegation or another in championship playoff fighting to get back in the premier league, so we need to start creating partnerships now. We also need to be investing in some good under 21-year-old talent to deepen the squad, and gradually integrate themselves into the team.

rebel

Quote from: ByTheRiver on August 10, 2020, 09:06:13 PM

The Italian league is different to the Prem, maybe it suits his football.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: rebel on August 11, 2020, 07:02:02 AM

That may well be the case but my point was more: he has just shone for a side that finished 5th (a side with huge history too) in one of Europe's top leagues, he is being chased by Conte and Inter (so Champions League football), his star has probably never shone brighter. Why would he give all of that up to come and battle relegation?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ByTheRiver on August 11, 2020, 07:44:44 AM

That may well be the case but my point was more: he has just shone for a side that finished 5th (a side with huge history too) in one of Europe's top leagues, he is being chased by Conte and Inter (so Champions League football), his star has probably never shone brighter. Why would he give all of that up to come and battle relegation?

Smalling will only come if he either injuries his knee or we offer him a longer contract than any other team. Both are bad ideas.

fulhamfever

Just thought an experience CB in the Prem would be worth a punt. Mixed opinions if you want to cement a place in the PL you need youth and experience. I think he just turned 32 in Feb he would be a good acquisition.

Hoppus

Quote from: fulhamfever on August 11, 2020, 10:00:25 AM
Just thought an experience CB in the Prem would be worth a punt. Mixed opinions if you want to cement a place in the PL you need youth and experience. I think he just turned 32 in Feb he would be a good acquisition.

I agree with you, I would love that kind of player in our squad.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 11, 2020, 07:48:39 AM
Quote from: ByTheRiver on August 11, 2020, 07:44:44 AM

Smalling will only come if he either injuries his knee or we offer him a longer contract than any other team. Both are bad ideas.

Smalling is being linked with Inter Milan, Roma and a bunch of other good teams, so we should forget about him. He's not coming here.