more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How Fulham masterminded their return

Started by millsy, August 10, 2020, 03:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Quote from: Statto on August 12, 2020, 08:11:24 AM
On reflection I wonder if the reason TK doesn't want to sign any/many new players this summer is his ego. Maybe he wants to prove his signings in summer 2018 weren't bad. As he says, most of them "are still with us" - Fabri, Mawson, MLM, Bryan, Seri, Anguissa, Mitrovic are 7 out of the 12 he signed. Maybe he thinks that if these players keep us up, he'll be vindicated.

How suffocating would that be. I was just thinking that in many ways we're equal or worse than when we last went up as we've essentially got many of the same squad as last time we went up (seri and Fabri did little for us, Mawson too), but less potency and less of an identity. Could be a long boring year of  parkerball if that is what he thinks. I really wish he'd listen to other people and take into consideration their thoughts. We need investment and premier league experience - even Cairney, Joe Bryan etc have acknowledged that. Arguably the players who did well for us were loan players - Babel and Chambers. You could argue we've kept the relative duds and the good players have moved on.

Fredericks and Targett from our promotion season he sold and they've been getting more and more time in the premiership whilst we've been messing around in the championship trying to make up for his hiring of the wrong people and disrupting what got us promoted last time round.

alfie

Quote from: General on August 12, 2020, 09:37:42 AM
Quote from: Statto on August 12, 2020, 08:11:24 AM
On reflection I wonder if the reason TK doesn't want to sign any/many new players this summer is his ego. Maybe he wants to prove his signings in summer 2018 weren't bad. As he says, most of them "are still with us" - Fabri, Mawson, MLM, Bryan, Seri, Anguissa, Mitrovic are 7 out of the 12 he signed. Maybe he thinks that if these players keep us up, he'll be vindicated.

How suffocating would that be. I was just thinking that in many ways we're equal or worse than when we last went up as we've essentially got many of the same squad as last time we went up (seri and Fabri did little for us, Mawson too), but less potency and less of an identity. Could be a long boring year of  parkerball if that is what he thinks. I really wish he'd listen to other people and take into consideration their thoughts. We need investment and premier league experience - even Cairney, Joe Bryan etc have acknowledged that. Arguably the players who did well for us were loan players - Babel and Chambers. You could argue we've kept the relative duds and the good players have moved on.

Fredericks and Targett from our promotion season he sold and they've been getting more and more time in the premiership whilst we've been messing around in the championship trying to make up for his hiring of the wrong people and disrupting what got us promoted last time round.
He didn't sell Targett, he was on loan, Soton wanted £20mill for a player worth about £5mill.
Fredericks decided to go to a West Ham before January and before we went on that amazing run, He wanted to be the highest earner, the club refused to give in to his demands.
And I believe the majority of supporters felt that a Norwood was not good enough.

The Khans have been at Fulham for 7 years now, and for people to keep saying TK knows nothing about football is a somewhat arrogant view, being the fact that he deals with players, does business with other clubs, probably means he knows a lot more than we think, and maybe now he does listen to what others say.
As usual we the supporters not being involved with transfer negotiations, attend club business meetings, seem to  know everything and yet know very little of what goes on behind closed doors.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

cmg

Quote from: alfie on August 12, 2020, 11:17:25 AM

...The Khans have been at Fulham for 7 years now, and for people to keep saying TK knows nothing about football is a somewhat arrogant view, being the fact that he deals with players, does business with other clubs, probably means he knows a lot more than we think, and maybe now he does listen to what others say.
As usual we the supporters not being involved with transfer negotiations, attend club business meetings, seem to  know everything and yet know very little of what goes on behind closed doors.

I pretty much agree with this. He is no genius, has made several palpable errors, and can sometimes come across as arrogant,  but he has also had some success, seems to be learning, has obvious enthusiasm for and attatchment too the club and, rather importantly, has ready access to his old man's dough.
People seem to need a punchbag to vent their agressions on. The tsunami of anti-Parker hysteria provided this amply until the punchbag struck back and knocked out the aggressors. (Temporarily, at least. A few bad results and they'll be up off the canvas.)
TK, young, rich, foreign, provides a good target at this time when nothing much else is happening.

Statto

Quote from: cmg on August 12, 2020, 01:54:17 PM

...The Khans have been at Fulham for 7 years now, and for people to keep saying TK knows nothing about football is a somewhat arrogant view, being the fact that he deals with players, does business with other clubs, probably means he knows a lot more than we think, and maybe now he does listen to what others say.

I pretty much agree with this. He is no genius, has made several palpable errors, and can sometimes come across as arrogant,  but he has also had some success, seems to be learning, has obvious enthusiasm for and attatchment too the club and, rather importantly, has ready access to his old man's dough.
People seem to need a punchbag to vent their agressions on. The tsunami of anti-Parker hysteria provided this amply until the punchbag struck back and knocked out the aggressors. (Temporarily, at least. A few bad results and they'll be up off the canvas.)
TK, young, rich, foreign, provides a good target at this time when nothing much else is happening.

I agree football does seem to provide an outlet for some people to vent frustration about other areas of their lives and I would, for example, attribute some particularly obsessive and viscious criticism of Cavaleiro from one poster on here to that sort of thing. But I think it mistaken and unfair to take reasonable, well-articulated and rationalised points about TK made by a large group of posters, and dismiss them in that way.

I also object to this idea that fans don't know enough about our transfer business to comment on it. As I've said before, multilateral negotiations between selling clubs, buying clubs, agents, players and sponsors aren't going to be simple, admittedly, but they're no more complex than, for example, buying a house. There's plenty of info in the public domain about the transfer process for those who can be bothered to read it, and obviously, given the context of all this is spectator sport, we've complete visibility of the outcomes (the players on the pitch). So IMO most fans are perfectly competent and entitled to judge and criticise TK.

Aside from a couple of ranting forum-polluters, most comments I've read about TK recently recognise the part he's played in a successful season, and the lessons he clearly learned this year. However, to say his latest interview contradicted that to some extent, and was concerning for a few other reasons, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

alfie

Quote from: Statto on August 12, 2020, 03:27:29 PM

I agree football does seem to provide an outlet for some people to vent frustration about other areas of their lives and I would, for example, attribute some particularly obsessive and viscious criticism of Cavaleiro from one poster on here to that sort of thing. But I think it mistaken and unfair to take reasonable, well-articulated and rationalised points about TK made by a large group of posters, and dismiss them in that way.

I also object to this idea that fans don't know enough about our transfer business to comment on it. As I've said before, multilateral negotiations between selling clubs, buying clubs, agents, players and sponsors aren't going to be simple, admittedly, but they're no more complex than, for example, buying a house. There's plenty of info in the public domain about the transfer process for those who can be bothered to read it, and obviously, given the context of all this is spectator sport, we've complete visibility of the outcomes (the players on the pitch). So IMO most fans are perfectly competent and entitled to judge and criticise TK.

Aside from a couple of ranting forum-polluters, most comments I've read about TK recently recognise the part he's played in a successful season, and the lessons he clearly learned this year. However, to say his latest interview contradicted that to some extent, and was concerning for a few other reasons, seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Statto has spoken, that's the end of the conversation.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

WindyCity

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 12, 2020, 07:55:56 AM
Quote from: WindyCity on August 11, 2020, 07:21:45 PM
Somewhat concerning around his chinwag with SP regards AK.  That just doesn't seem to ring true or make sense.  Not sure what to make of that.
I am also concerned when a declaration is made that the team does NOT have to bring in new players.  Sure, we don't want to see wholesale changes and mistakes made as we saw on the last promotion.  BUT, there are some obvious holes in this squad if we want to stay up in this league, and several key acquisitions need to be made.
Also concerned about Seri and Anguissa and Ryan Sess being considered back to CC.  I'd pass on all three.

My point is we only need a few of the right acquisitions to transform this team. We have a better squad than 2018, we just need a couple more pieces.

Agreed.  But those pieces better be very good, hopefully better than what we currently have.  Fans here are putting a lot of faith in Hector and Reed (assuming he's back) and Rodak and these players have virtually no EPL experience.  Mitro rates as EPL quality, but even he was no world beater our last time up.  FFC really banking on a bunch of Champ level players to 'come good' in EPL, and that just doesn't happen too often.

General

Quote from: alfie on August 12, 2020, 03:56:22 PM

You're making it sound like you're both part of a far right cabal.

cmg

Quote from: General on August 12, 2020, 05:17:27 PM

You're making it sound like you're both part of a far right cabal.

I went to see a Lazio match once. Does that count?

Statto

Assuming this is an indirect way of saying Statto has, as usual, contributed a complete, balanced and intelligent summary of the debate such that there's nothing else to add, I entirely agree with you.

alfie

Quote from: Statto on August 12, 2020, 06:03:42 PM

Assuming this is an indirect way of saying Statto has, as usual, contributed a complete, balanced and intelligent summary of the debate such that there's nothing else to add, I entirely agree with you.
No purely means that Statto considers everything he says is correct, I'm happy with what I said so there is no point in going any further.
Story of my life
Sadly she wasn't

Statto

Quote from: alfie on August 12, 2020, 06:51:11 PM
No purely means that Statto considers everything he says is correct, I'm happy with what I said so there is no point in going any further.

Don't you consider everything you say to be correct? Or do you just say a lot of things knowing them to be rubbish? The latter would explain a lot to be honest...

alfie

Quote from: Statto on August 12, 2020, 07:28:49 PM
Quote from: alfie on August 12, 2020, 06:51:11 PM

Don't you consider everything you say to be correct? Or do you just say a lot of things knowing them to be rubbish? The latter would explain a lot to be honest...
Well Mr Statto, this why I didn't want to continue, because you start to get personal, I was happy with what I said, but I am always ready to listen to others, and I don't want to make rude or insulting comments to win a point, so I won't be responding on this particular topic anymore, so I sincerely wish you a very good evening.
Story of my life
Sadly she wasn't