watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ethan Pinnock...LCB for Brentford.

Started by AnOldBrownie, August 11, 2020, 07:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnOldBrownie

What do people think about him?   He had a really good season...good size, good pace...probably affordable.

The Rational Fan

I like him but would prefer someone more than three years younger than MLM or with premier league experience already. We need to buy players that are improving up to premier league standard or can do a job now, but I think he'll have to integrate with the team and then adjust to the premier league by which time he is 30 years old.

We should be looking at CBs like Tosin Adarabioyo, Dael Fry, Joe Worrall, and Matthew Clarke that are 22 to 23 years old that are proven in the Championship and ready to try the next level to replace squad players like MLM and Ream in the next 12 months. Most importantly, such players may deepen the squad now, then if needed help us fight our way out of the championship again and gradually become genuine PL players.

Motspur Park

Not a bad call. Was quite impressed with his aggression against us and could make a decent partner with Hector but is he good enough with the ball at his feet. We need a central defender to come out of defence with the ball at his feet like Ream did but with better defensive capabilities. Haven't seen enough of Pinnock to make that judgement.

Woolly Mammoth

He is a good size and age and has pace, depends how much Brentford would want and whether they would be prepared to sell him to their favourite neighbours.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fernhurst

It wasn't long ago Pinnock was non league, the Prem, I'm afraid would really show him up.

IShane Duffy and Otimende with Hector sweeping behind would stop all comers.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Jamie88

Untried in a top league so would be a bit of a gamble.

roberto w6

He looked good from what I saw and could be effective in the top flight but I think we'd be taking a punt.
Overall, I agree fully with the approach to buy younger players although I would suggest that there is a lot to be said for having an experienced head with proven PL experience operating next to Hector. I believe that this could be the difference between staying up or not. The same could also be said for a deep central midfielder with experience and goalkeeper (although I could see Rodak doing well so this is less critical to my mind).
What do we want in our wildest dreams... to come up like Clough's Forest (ok different times etc I know) and look what he did. He propped up his largely inexperienced and youthful team with Peter Shilton and Larry Lloyd because he knew those were positions where youth and inexperience could be found out. I think he did the same at Derby with an ageing Dave Mackay.
I really would throw the kitchen sink at trying to persuade someone with the experience of Smalling for example. And so what if they only stay 2 years? If we could find a player who would keep us up for 2 years then we should buy him. The team and squad will develop in that time and hopefully our top flight position would be more secure.
I'm not saying go for older heads in all positions at all. Young wingers, forwards, attacking midfielders and even full backs could provide us with dynamism. But at CB, DCM and GK, I would say go for the PL proven older heads

General

I think we need premiership quality and experience this window. I think that's of paramount importance.

roberto w6

JimOG

Quote from: Jamie88 on August 11, 2020, 09:37:33 AM

If we were to take 1 player from the Bees for me it would be Rico Henry - a really good defensive L/B. If we follow Scott's logic about not changing things too much Kongolo who was already with us would be a better bet at L/C/B

filham

Quote from: JimOG on August 11, 2020, 10:34:18 AM
Quote from: Jamie88 on August 11, 2020, 09:37:33 AM

If we were to take 1 player from the Bees for me it would be Rico Henry - a really good defensive L/B. If we follow Scott's logic about not changing things too much Kongolo who was already with us would be a better bet at L/C/B
If I could have just one Brentford player I would be taking a look  those strikers that have scored 60 goals among the three of them. Kebano scored some good goals late in the season and hopefully that will continue but Cav., Knock and Reid have failed to score over the season, we are in need of a goal scorer to take pressure of Mitro.

FFC1987

As it's kind of a one player from Brentford, I'd like Mbeumo. Appreciate he didn't have a good end to the season and was quite poor in the final, I think he could add something to our team.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 11, 2020, 02:10:48 PM
As it's kind of a one player from Brentford, I'd like Mbeumo. Appreciate he didn't have a good end to the season and was quite poor in the final, I think he could add something to our team.

Bryan Mbeumo would classify as youth next season so doesn't count in the squad count of 25 players, an extra right-winger in the squad would be really good. He would be a huge help to us if we go back down into the championship and otherwise a premier league player long-term.