News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fascinating stats on our last relegation season...

Started by General, August 13, 2020, 02:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Anyone want to pick them apart with me and decipher where things went wrong?  Obviously we didn't score enough and conceded too many, but beyond that obvious statement why?

In a lot of metrics we were in the middle, or clear from the relegation places in terms of overall performance compared to a lot of teams... so what happened?

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/1889/2018-2019-Premier-League-Stats

General

Hugh Gentry

Quote from: General on August 13, 2020, 02:36:22 AM

top in defensive touches in the penalty area.
Most of those defensive touches weren't very good! That demonstrates how we need to concentrate on recruitment in that area

The Rational Fan

The statistics show that our defenders lost 255 aerial duels, which is around 7 per game. We need to both reduce the number of aerial attacks and be better at winning them. Football statistics show that the two most important football statistics are "can your team win the ball before they score" and "can you keep it in a way that can score".

rebel

When we lost the ball, we had players 'jogging' back to defend. You would thing they would get back, 'PDF'. Like some 'division of labour' thing going on.

rebel

Mitrovic was top goal scorer upto the first 6/7 matches.

rebel

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 13, 2020, 06:53:39 AM
I noticed Allison had the second-highest save percentage in the league saving 77% of shots, while Fabri saved 78% of shots (i.e. best in the premier league). He also saved a shot every 8 minutes which is probably some kind of record. Fabri also had an xG exceeding that of goals scored by 1.1 goals, only goalkeepers from Big Six Clubs and Łukasz Fabiański, Jordan Pickford and Martin Dúbravka did better. 

How many matches did Fabri play? the figures are distorted by that and the opposition faced.

Woolly Mammoth

Do not need stats to tell us how poor we were.
We had a soft underbelly that was so fragile that it was almost made of glass. No leaders on or off the pitch, a team that had a fractured dressing room and was bankrupt of any confidence. Do not need stats to tell me that.
Even a hermit living in a cave on Mars could see that. We had a defence that couldn't head a bus queue , lack of height and physical presence made us easy pickings, at set pieces we were a nightmare, do not need stats to know that.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 13, 2020, 11:41:35 PM
We had a soft underbelly that was so fragile that it was almost made of glass. No leaders on or off the pitch, a team that had a fractured dressing room and was bankrupt of any confidence. Do not need stats to tell me that.
Even a hermit living in a cave on Mars could see that. We had a defence that couldn't head a bus queue , lack of height and physical presence made us easy pickings, at set pieces we were a nightmare, do not need stats to know that.

Sometimes statistics help to show what some people cannot see. I remember a former scout telling me that statistics now tend to show that ball winners, like Roger Brown, are more useful than he realized, while show ponies are only useful at winning games if they are constantly dazzling the viewer every half they play. Some people know this already, but statistics show that pretty football and winning games are not so correlated as many think.

Statistics show that we received too many aerial balls and were not winning enough of them, obvious to some watching the match but obvious to everyone looking at the statistics. The statistics also show we may not need to improve as much as we think, if we do a better in the air, a few more inceptions, a few more tackles, better goalkeeper on crosses, a more consistent lineup and a few less injuries then we should finish 17th next time.

rebel

Well NASA has sent a probe to Mars to ask him / her, we await the result in 2055.

rebel

Well NASA has sent a probe to Mars to ask him / her, we await the result in 2055.
Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 14, 2020, 03:21:03 AM

Sometimes statistics help to show what some people cannot see. I remember a former scout telling me that statistics now tend to show that ball winners, like Roger Brown, are more useful than he realized, while show ponies are only useful at winning games if they are constantly dazzling the viewer every half they play. Some people know this already, but statistics show that pretty football and winning games are not so correlated as many think.

Statistics show that we received too many aerial balls and were not winning enough of them, obvious to some watching the match but obvious to everyone looking at the statistics. The statistics also show we may not need to improve as much as we think, if we do a better in the air, a few more inceptions, a few more tackles, better goalkeeper on crosses, a more consistent lineup and a few less injuries then we should finish 17th next time.

Dan Burn holds the record from memory, for the most aerial clearances from the box 20/22, that was for us against Man United in the Prem. Relegation season. I think it finished 2 - 2.

toshes mate

Without human observation there is no human statistic to record.

Without consistency and competencey, observation is useless.

Many things we see take a lot more understanding than we think ...

Sometime between two and three thousand years ago a Chinese observer, believed to be a quite elderly apprentice sage (a mix of alchemy, astronomy, and fortune telling), made an ink on paper record of the movement of a planet against the stars over a series of months whereby 'he' discovered retrograde motion and accurately recorded it on paper as a line first moving to the right and then left, back on itself, before turning to the right again on a zig-zag with dates of these changes in Chinese form.   It is absolutely possible that in 'his' time this sage realised that the Earth was  orbiting the Sun and space and not the other way around although it took humanity, as a species, a lot longer than that to realise the immensity of 'his' discovery (i.e. when Galileo made the discovery his own much to the annoyance of his Church). 

Understanding what you are observing and accurately recording it is everything.

rebel

Quote from: toshes mate on August 14, 2020, 09:08:13 AM

Sometime between two and three thousand years ago a Chinese observer, believed to be a quite elderly apprentice sage (a mix of alchemy, astronomy, and fortune telling), made an ink on paper record of the movement of a planet against the stars over a series of months whereby 'he' discovered retrograde motion and accurately recorded it on paper as a line first moving to the right and then left, back on itself, before turning to the right again on a zig-zag with dates of these changes in Chinese form.   It is absolutely possible that in 'his' time this sage realised that the Earth was  orbiting the Sun and space and not the other way around although it took humanity, as a species, a lot longer than that to realise the immensity of 'his' discovery (i.e. when Galileo made the discovery his own much to the annoyance of his Church). 

During Galileo's time, they (the people / state) held that he 'observed and recorded' too much, they held him accountable.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: rebel on August 14, 2020, 06:59:16 AM

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 14, 2020, 03:21:03 AM

Dan Burn holds the record from memory, for the most aerial clearances from the box 20/22, that was for us against Man United in the Prem. Relegation season. I think it finished 2 - 2.

That is affirmative, by the way which team does NASA play for.

Never forget your Roots.

Southcoastffc

While I would not agree with the last sentence here, ("everything"??)I fully agree with the thrust of this post.   Put more simply, numbers tell a story.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: rebel on August 14, 2020, 09:36:44 AM

During Galileo's time, they (the people / state) held that he 'observed and recorded' too much, they held him accountable.

By the Beard of ZEUS, I remember David Ike saying something similar. But what worries me is how come the majority of Liverpool supporters still think the earth is flat.

Never forget your Roots.

Bassey the warrior

I'd like to see the stats on defensive errors leading to goals as I bet we topped that table.

ALG01

Quote from: rebel on August 13, 2020, 06:14:38 AM
When we lost the ball, we had players 'jogging' back to defend. You would thing they would get back, 'PDF'. Like some 'division of labour' thing going on.

I think this is at the heart of it. We didn't have a proper team that worked hard enough. too many imports were not chasing back for any reason let alone lost causes, they were simply not putting in theeffort required. The number of times when anguissa played he would simply give up..I recall on one MOTD them tearing him to shreds for his lazy attitude and that persisted to the end. I am not picking on him because he was not the only oine but he was the worst. Chambers in contrast hurled himself into the games.

This season has been a revalation because whatever else, I do not think anyine has been critical of the worlk ethic, i do think all the players have put their back into it. That is why allowing the anguissa's and seri back will be a mega step backwards.

I do not need stats to tell me that much.

Nero

Having checked the stats the main problems was the opposition  scored more then us on most occasions

sunburywhite

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 14, 2020, 11:17:32 AM
Quote from: rebel on August 14, 2020, 09:36:44 AM

By the Beard of ZEUS, I remember David Ike saying something similar. But what worries me is how come the majority of Liverpool supporters still think the earth is flat.

Because when they are lying flat out on the pavemnet pi55ed out of their head it is very difficult to see the curvature of the Earth
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me