News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who would you sign? (be a DOF for the day)

Started by Deeping_white, August 15, 2020, 10:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tabby

Butland wouldn't start ahead of Rodak, would be insanity to spend £8 million for a backup goalkeeper.

KJS

Quote from: filham on August 16, 2020, 12:35:30 PM
Quote from: KJS on August 16, 2020, 12:27:34 PM
More to the point what Goal Keeper would you bring in?
I'd go for Butland with Rodak competing against him
We are alright for keepers , why rock the boat.

Betts is not good enough and Roadak is not yet premier quality so we need an experienced keeper

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: KJS on August 16, 2020, 12:48:28 PM

Betts is not good enough and Roadak is not yet premier quality so we need an experienced keeper

I like Rodak and he hasn't let Fulham down, however, if we are going to need an experienced Keeper who knows the English Premier League, and if Fulham are looking for another Goal Keeper then Butland is as good as any that would be available, and if that is the case, I would definitely sign Butland.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

We Are Premier League

Maitland-Niles 25
Kongolo (loan*)
Reed 8
Robinson 2
Arter 3
Toney 7
Watkins 20
Empadu (loan unfortunately without buy out clause)
Smalling (loan*)
Anguissa (keep)
EDIT: adding Babel as well (free)
EDIT: Etheridge (1m)

*Loans with buy out triggered if we stay up and players play 30 plus games.

Deeping_white

Why isn't Rodak PL quality? Plenty worse than him getting regular game time

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Deeping_white on August 16, 2020, 01:26:44 PM

If you compare the who scored statistics of Norwich 18/19 to Fulham 19/20, then we find we are only better in three positions GK. RB and LB than them; and worse in every other position. Joe Bryan was a lot better than Lewis, Rodak was significantly better than Krul, and Odoi/Christie were both marginally better than Aarons. Every other position we faired worse Mitro had awesome statistics but not as good as Pukki, Hector stats weren't as good as Klose,  Zimmerman was Ream, Godfrey was better than Mawson, T. Trybull had better stats than H. Reed, K. McLeanhad better stats than J.Onamah, Stiepermann had better stats than Cairney,  A. Tettey had better stats than H.Arter, E. Buendía had better stats than Knockaert and O. Hernándezhad better stats than Cav.

We are going into the premier league as underdogs that have to fight and overperform to stay-up. And, if we spend £100m, we are less of the underdog but we still are the underdog and have to fight our way into the premier league. Given, we aren't going to have the best team on paper, I think Rodak is at a point in his career that he is ready for the fight and to prove himself. We need to fill the squad with 5-6 proven premier league players (e.g. Mitro, Anguissa, Cairney and Knockaert) and 16-19 players ready to prove themselves at this level with hopefully half of them proving they belong in the premier league. Big Difference from the 19/20 season with 12-16 proven championship players in the squad and the rest proven somewhere equally hard.

hongkongfulham

CB -Kongolo (injury permitting) or Kumbulla, Ayala
RB - Clyne
LB - Robinson

CM - Reed, Arter + Some wiley character with experience. Like Cambiasso for Leicester or Karagounis/M.Diarra. Only one I saw for free was Steven Defour but that's a real stretch...

WG/FW - Deolofeu (injury premitting)

The Rational Fan

Quote from: hongkongfulham on August 17, 2020, 06:45:15 AM
RB - Clyne
LB - Robinson

CM - Reed, Arter + Some wiley character with experience. Like Cambiasso for Leicester or Karagounis/M.Diarra. Only one I saw for free was Steven Defour but that's a real stretch...

Injury permitting is a huge caveat that affects Clyne, Kongolo, Reed, Arter, and Deolofeu as these five players have been injured on average for a third to half the season each. Wolves and Sheffield United had the statistically two least injured squads in the premier league in the last decade and was a big reason they have done so well. We need to find injury-free additions otherwise instead of Clyne, Kongolo, Reed, Arter, and Deolofeu, you'll have Christie, Ream, KMac, Stefjo and Reid starting most games.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 17, 2020, 07:49:38 AM
RB - Clyne
LB - Robinson

Injury permitting is a huge caveat that affects Clyne, Kongolo, Reed, Arter, and Deolofeu as these five players have been injured on average for a third to half the season each. Wolves and Sheffield United had the statistically two least injured squads in the premier league in the last decade and was a big reason they have done so well. We need to find injury-free additions otherwise instead of Clyne, Kongolo, Reed, Arter, and Deolofeu, you'll have Christie, Ream, KMac, Stefjo and Reid starting most games.

If we should avoid all players that have at some point been injured for a couple of months, then I guess it will be easier to chose at least. If only we had medical professionals involved to assess the current status as well as likeliness of further injuries... As a non-professional, I would say that Reed looked fairly uninjured during the last few months at least, so there's that.

I agree though that currently injured players may not help us out immediately, but just like everything else that is just one of many factors to consider. If a player like Kongolo is close to being back in full training I wouldn't be too afraid. Wasn't his injury "just" a broken bone in his foot? If so, that should give little worry going forward I would assume. Given that Parker and the team at least got a glimpse of him, and that he has previously proven himself to be good enough for the PL I would say that it is a signing that makes sense from several perspectives. 

hongkongfulham

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 17, 2020, 07:49:38 AM
RB - Clyne
LB - Robinson

It's a fair point you make and Sting added an equally fair opinion.

My own thoughts on recruitment, as a newly promoted club, centre around needing to take a risk or two on players that have the quality to improve us but for whatever reason may be overlooked by other clubs.Yes we have spending power but it seems clearl TK and SP will look to be more shrewd this time. Regardless, there is no guarantees in football and signings can be a crap shoot. I seem to remember the majority  of us s being pretty comfortable with our signings last time we went up!

Also, I dont have a problem with Reid, Christie and StefJo seeing plenty of time on the pitch, in fact I hope we do see alot of them.

KJS

Because he doesn't command his area doesn't come for crosses with any authority and he has not played at that level. So we need experience to bring him on to the next level

Deeping_white

Quote from: KJS on August 17, 2020, 10:20:56 AM

Because he doesn't command his area doesn't come for crosses with any authority and he has not played at that level. So we need experience to bring him on to the next level

Just because someone hasn't played in the PL, doesn't mean they're not good enough to - by that logic you should never sign a championship player to a PL team if they've never played at that level before, something you could disprove with several transfers over the last few seasons. I must be imagining all the times he came and punched the ball under aerial bombardment against Cardiff over 180 minutes.

Why bring in another keeper to bench him because he's not going to get experience if he's not playing - the shirt is his to lose and after a season like he's just had, he deserves to start and show what he can do. Butland is a calamity anyway, there's a reason he got dropped in the championship and it's because he's so error prone

KJS

Quote from: Deeping_white on August 17, 2020, 10:33:47 AM

Just because someone hasn't played in the PL, doesn't mean they're not good enough to - by that logic you should never sign a championship player to a PL team if they've never played at that level before, something you could disprove with several transfers over the last few seasons. I must be imagining all the times he came and punched the ball under aerial bombardment against Cardiff over 180 minutes.

Why bring in another keeper to bench him because he's not going to get experience if he's not playing - the shirt is his to lose and after a season like he's just had, he deserves to start and show what he can do. Butland is a calamity anyway, there's a reason he got dropped in the championship and it's because he's so error prone

Very sorry I thought this was a post about who we would sign if we were DOF for a day?? I didn't realise we could only post things that you agreed with!!! 🙄🙄🙄🙄 I hopo I am wrong but give it 6 games with Rodak and see what you're saying then!!
And if you don't want differing opinions then don't ask a question

Sting of the North

Quote from: KJS on August 17, 2020, 11:01:12 AM
Quote from: Deeping_white on August 17, 2020, 10:33:47 AM

Very sorry I thought this was a post about who we would sign if we were DOF for a day?? I didn't realise we could only post things that you agreed with!!! 🙄🙄🙄🙄 I hopo I am wrong but give it 6 games with Rodak and see what you're saying then!!
And if you don't want differing opinions then don't ask a question

I fail to see anything from Deeping_white that says that you were not allowed to have a different opinion. He just seem to not agree with you, and offers his counter opinion, which presumably is the way it is supposed to work?

70sPimlico

good idea for thread. anything that clears up the rumour mill thread is good by me

Jim©

I'm keen not to overhaul the squad as happened last time around. On that basis I'd go for the first three that know the squad as priority:
MF-Reed £8m
CB- Kongolo- preferably loan with option, if not £12m he's a very good player that we're yet to see the best out of. If not Tomori for similar amount.
WF-Babel- swap with Seri OR WF-Sarr- Watford £25m
CF-Jorgensen (Feyenoord)  £7m- not unlike Mitro and will always score goals
LB- Willems (Eintract) £6m
RB- Cash £7m
Finally I'd get Anguissa back IF he wasn't part of the poison clique that helped ruin our last top flight season.

Lordedmundo

I don't think the net spend will be more than £50m and in fact may well be less than that.

So, the signings by order of priority must be:

Starters:
1. Harrison Reed (£8m?)
2. New right back (up to £20m?)
3. Kongolo (£12m)
4. Ryan Babel (free?)

Back-up
1. Antonee Robinson (£1.5m)
2. Ethan Ampadu (loan)

Plus (if Anguissa leaves or goes on loan):
1. Arter (£4m)

Then I would sell or loan the following (if possible):

1. Seri (£4m)
2. Le Marchand (£1m)
3. Mawson (£6m)
3. Fabri (£1m)

I would also loan (to get first team experience):
1. Steve Sessegnon
2. Marlon Fossey

It would be great if there were some spare funds to invest in a pacy winger - but I suspect the management feel we have enough options to complete the attacking three either side of Mitro, with Cavaleiro, Kamara, Knockaert, Reid and Kebano - if Babel is coming in as a starter (albeit, I don't think he would start every game even if he stays fit). My concern is there is not enough pace or quality there - although I'm hoping that Kamara will perform better this time around... 

Deeping_white

Quote from: Jim© on August 17, 2020, 11:21:04 AM
I'm keen not to overhaul the squad as happened last time around. On that basis I'd go for the first three that know the squad as priority:
MF-Reed £8m
CB- Kongolo- preferably loan with option, if not £12m he's a very good player that we're yet to see the best out of. If not Tomori for similar amount.
WF-Babel- swap with Seri OR WF-Sarr- Watford £25m
CF-Jorgensen (Feyenoord)  £7m- not unlike Mitro and will always score goals
LB- Willems (Eintract) £6m
RB- Cash £7m
Finally I'd get Anguissa back IF he wasn't part of the poison clique that helped ruin our last top flight season.

I like these picks but unfortunately Watford want £40m for Sarr so might have to find an alternative option, but I guess getting Robinson over Willems would help that too. Jorgensen is a good pick but he's not the quickest so think we'd be better off with a more mobile front 3 as a backup, like the playoff final as it allowed a better defensive press

smallfulhamman

Quote from: Lordedmundo on August 17, 2020, 12:07:27 PM
I don't think the net spend will be more than £50m and in fact may well be less than that.

So, the signings by order of priority must be:

Starters:
1. Harrison Reed (£8m?)
2. New right back (up to £20m?)
3. Kongolo (£12m)
4. Ryan Babel (free?)

Back-up
1. Antonee Robinson (£1.5m)
2. Ethan Ampadu (loan)

Plus (if Anguissa leaves or goes on loan):
1. Arter (£4m)

Then I would sell or loan the following (if possible):

1. Seri (£4m)
2. Le Marchand (£1m)
3. Mawson (£6m)
3. Fabri (£1m)

I would also loan (to get first team experience):
1. Steve Sessegnon
2. Marlon Fossey

It would be great if there were some spare funds to invest in a pacy winger - but I suspect the management feel we have enough options to complete the attacking three either side of Mitro, with Cavaleiro, Kamara, Knockaert, Reid and Kebano - if Babel is coming in as a starter (albeit, I don't think he would start every game even if he stays fit). My concern is there is not enough pace or quality there - although I'm hoping that Kamara will perform better this time around...

I agree with most of this to an extent.

I'd ideally hope that the 20m goes on a LCB and not on a RB. I'd love Kongolo back but think we need four fit CBs for a heavy campaign ahead. I'd agree we need a RB just not as desperately as we all think, Christie puts in a shift and is underrated IMO.

Also thought the last comment on Kamara doing better - He was only out due to mix up and injuries. So he's got his shot and I believe he'll be a mini Adama Traoré.

Statto

Butland was literally (and I do mean literally) the worst keeper in the Championship this season (and Rodak was the best)

Rodak > Betts > Butland