https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why are transfers so drawn out.

Started by MaidenheadMick, August 17, 2020, 01:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Quote from: Sting of the North on August 17, 2020, 05:20:20 PM
Quote from: filham on August 17, 2020, 05:06:20 PM
Really expected the signing of Reed to be straightforward and completed before the players returned from the break but it now looks like even that is likely to drag on until the season starts.

What has happened to make it likely to drag on for another month?
The fact that he hasn't signed already and rumours that Southampton may consider other offers.

rebel

Quote from: filham on August 17, 2020, 06:48:01 PM
Really expected the signing of Reed to be straightforward and completed before the players returned from the break but it now looks like even that is likely to drag on until the season starts.

The fact that he hasn't signed already and rumours that Southampton may consider other offers.

There was a lot of bad blood, Mark Hughes and the potential Matt Targett transfer.

Deeping_white

Quote from: filham on August 17, 2020, 06:48:01 PM

We have an option to buy, until we decide we aren't taking it up then it doesn't matter what Southampton want. A lot of reputable journalists have said they expect us to complete a deal, TK says he's trying to complete a deal, Reed is on holiday - this isn't a video game where you can magic transfers up instantly.

Southcoastffc

In answer to the original question, because transfers aren't necessarily that straightforward.  They can be like a house of cards with the move of player a being dependent on what happens to players B, C , D  and E with a myriad of agents, clubs tracking several players for one spot.  Many many variables.  To illustrate the point a little, there was an article recently which referred to Fulham being reasonably close to getting these players.

Robert Lewandowski, 2009
Mario Gomez, 2008   
Nacer Chadli, 2012
Jordan Henderson, 2012
Aaron Ramsey, 2012
Jesse Lingard, 2014
Gareth Bale, 2009
Antoine Griezmann, 2014
Jamie Vardy, 2012
Romelu Lukaku, 2012
John Stones, 2013
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

rebel

Quote from: Southcoastffc on August 17, 2020, 08:01:33 PM
In answer to the original question, because transfers aren't necessarily that straightforward.  They can be like a house of cards with the move of player a being dependent on what happens to players B, C , D  and E with a myriad of agents, clubs tracking several players for one spot.  Many many variables.  To illustrate the point a little, there was an article recently which referred to Fulham being reasonably close to getting these players.

Robert Lewandowski, 2009
Mario Gomez, 2008   
Nacer Chadli, 2012
Jordan Henderson, 2012
Aaron Ramsey, 2012
Jesse Lingard, 2014
Gareth Bale, 2009
Antoine Griezmann, 2014
Jamie Vardy, 2012
Romelu Lukaku, 2012
John Stones, 2013

Jamie Vardy was available for £1m.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Sting of the North on August 17, 2020, 06:13:57 PM
Quote from: alfie on August 17, 2020, 06:05:09 PM

Reed away on holiday, everything can be agreed but until he walks through the door and puts his signature on the contract, there is no transfer. As Gordon Davies said, after the Slav Wembley playoff the club was on the phone trying to set up transfers, but clubs did not want to know, they were holding out for as long as possible, this applied to players and agents.
Myself having work at a professional football club for many years as a coach and administrator, I would rather rely on my knowledge, and the knowledge of a professional player who has spent all his working like in football, rather than a lot of guess work.

I'm with you on that. My question was more aimed at the remark about it "now being likely". To my mind, it has been equally likely or unlikely all the time, since as far as I know nothing has even been reported other than it being confirmed by TK that we did indeed have an option. Transfers are likely most often not simple, not because the actual transfer is inherently complex but for the simple fact that there are many aprties involved that all want to do as well as possible.

His transfer saga reminds me of Mitro's. I think he wants to be here and the club want to sign him. Once everyone is back from holiday I would expect the contract details to be hammered out. He will probably miss the first week or two of training due to it, but with the short offseason, I don't see it as much of an issue.

The Rational Fan

The Top Six Clubs normally have an extra player in every position during the preseason, then when they each release four players around deadline day that is an extra twenty-four players on the market, other clubs snap them up and release more players.

Clubs like Crystal Palace are trying to sign Harrison Reed, but if Rufus Loftus Creek becomes available, they will suddenly loss interest having Reed in the starting XI and Harrison Reed will sign whatever deal TK wants as long as he is likely to start. 

Once, Harrison Reed is signed then we might release KMac or Stefjo to team that hasn't signed anyone of their quality.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: bog on August 17, 2020, 03:32:06 PM
Agents hawking their players about for the best offer.

092.gif

This.   There is a reason they pay agents.   To look after the interest of the player, not the interest of the club.

I'm also sure we're letting our existing players see what their current market is from other teams.   We know we want Harrison Reed.   Other teams know we want Harrison Reed.  Harrison knows we want him.

All for a specific price, and I'm sure that all three parties don't agree on that price.   

Unless we're overpaying ...say, 40 million for Harrison Reed, the process will take time.

I'm ok waiting.

Sting of the North

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 18, 2020, 02:31:34 AM
Quote from: bog on August 17, 2020, 03:32:06 PM
Agents hawking their players about for the best offer.

092.gif

This.   There is a reason they pay agents.   To look after the interest of the player, not the interest of the club.

I'm also sure we're letting our existing players see what their current market is from other teams.   We know we want Harrison Reed.   Other teams know we want Harrison Reed.  Harrison knows we want him.

All for a specific price, and I'm sure that all three parties don't agree on that price.   

Unless we're overpaying ...say, 40 million for Harrison Reed, the process will take time.

I'm ok waiting.

Where is 40 million coming from? Surely that is not wages, but since we have already agreed a transfer fee I am not sure what else it could be.

toshes mate

One of the quirks of the loan system that tends to make permanent signing frustrating at times is that when a player does well for you on loan then you must expect them to be a little more persuasive about what they are worth on personal terms on a longer term basis with both sides knowing a lot more about each other.   I am sure discussions will take place with Harrison Reed if they haven't already and we will know the outcome soon enough.  It is surely a good sign that he has attracted new admirers elsewhere since he came here even if it does push our costs up.  At least we know what we are getting for our bucks if we get him.