https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who is our Right back? the 'most' pressing position this off season to fill

Started by 3-lions, August 21, 2020, 05:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfie

Quote from: Classic94 on August 23, 2020, 12:15:14 PM
Quote from: FulhamStu on August 23, 2020, 10:52:41 AM
We were apparently one of 3 clubs with bids in for Kongolo, he has to decide.   I would be very happy to get him back but would think we need another centre back as his injury issues need to be covered.  If we kept Ream and MLM as cover, Parker must like MLM as he is normally a sub on 80 mins when we are holding a lead..., would that be enough ?

Would happily take Kongolo. Don't rate MLM at all - was a liability at PL level, and shaky even in the Championship.
Virtually everyone was a liability at our last PL venture.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

filham

Quote from: FulhamStu on August 21, 2020, 05:36:55 PM
What would you pay to get Fred back ?
I think there is a bit of a financial crisis at West Hamm and Fredericks didn't play a lot for them recently.
Be great to see him back at the Cottage.

filham

Quote from: Black, White and Fred on August 23, 2020, 12:42:35 PM
We were apparently one of 3 clubs with bids in for Kongolo, he has to decide.   I would be very happy to get him back but would think we need another centre back as his injury issues need to be covered.  If we kept Ream and MLM as cover, Parker must like MLM as he is normally a sub on 80 mins when we are holding a lead..., would that be enough ?
Huddersfield have tweeted that Kongolo is still not fit, would two and a bit weeks be enough for him to get to match fitness if we did sign him?
Kongolo has been out injured for a long time, sounds as if their is a problem there, lets not take the risk.
There must be options available to us.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Isn't Fredericks another one who is carrying an injury which would make him a risk?

AnOldBrownie

OMG...I contributed to this thread going completely off topic.

My RB suggestions.

1) Mbabu - under utilized RB for Wolfsburg. Love his physicality and pace.
2) Cyrus Christie - give him a go
3) DeAndre Yedlin - not a great defender...but fast, with EPL experience.
4) Thierry Correia - Valencia RB
5) Marlon Fossey - who knows where his health will take him.  Not enough lower level experience imo.   I also question his work rate.  Converted attacking midfielder, so not completely sold on his defense.

lol...two of the players on my list got Covid...but I don't care.    imo Mbabu or Correia would be improvements on what we currently have.  Yedlin as well.

filham

I thought Christie was looking good towards the end of last season and it is just possible that he could prove himself in the Premier League. That is a big risk though and Parker has a tough call to make. I think we should play safe and make a new signing of a player proven at this level.

Finnans Right Peg

I read on sky sports villa are after kieran trippier not sure hiw true that is but if he would go to villa surely we would have a a chance of signing him too

The Rational Fan

Quote from: filham on August 23, 2020, 06:13:19 PM
Quote from: Black, White and Fred on August 23, 2020, 12:42:35 PM
Huddersfield have tweeted that Kongolo is still not fit, would two and a bit weeks be enough for him to get to match fitness if we did sign him?
Kongolo has been out injured for a long time, sounds as if their is a problem there, lets not take the risk.
There must be options available to us.

Forget injured players especially if expensive and not homegrown, we need to build a center-back partnership for the next four years not play musical chairs between injured and recovering central defenders. 

RaySmith

Are  central defenders more likely to get long term injuries? - usually being big men, probably more  susceptible to knee problems.

Fulham have stuck with Mawson for so long,   paying for his  treatment, seems a shame to  jettison him now - the club must not only see his potential, well we bought him in the first place, but that he can return to full fitness.

What's Kongolo's long term injury record? he does seems potentially a good acquisition  for this problematic position, at this level.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: RaySmith on August 24, 2020, 04:23:52 AM
Are  central defenders more likely to get long term injuries? - usually being big men, probably more  susceptible to knee problems.

Fulham have stuck with Mawson for so long,   paying for his  treatment, seems a shame to  jettison him now - the club must not only see his potential, well we bought him in the first place, but that he can return to full fitness.

What's Kongolo's long term injury record? he does seems potentially a good acquisition  for this problematic position, at this level.

Fulham aren't going to jettison Mawson.  No DoF is going to take his contract without knowing he will stay healthy.  Which is why being a sub this season, and a player who plays in the FA Cup, would be best for him.

I'm good with Mawson being the second CB off the bench (Ream being the first).

The Rational Fan

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 24, 2020, 04:52:04 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on August 24, 2020, 04:23:52 AM

Fulham aren't going to jettison Mawson.  No DoF is going to take his contract without knowing he will stay healthy.  Which is why being a sub this season, and a player who plays in the FA Cup, would be best for him.

I'm good with Mawson being the second CB off the bench (Ream being the first).

I think it's better to have Ream as our first CB off the bench when we play a back five or as a second CB off the bench when we play a back four. With Mawson and MLM as squad players that get fit and cover for the bench.

We need to buy at least one center-back on a four-year contract prepared to play in the championship if required (another Hector) and bring in a quality premier league centre-back in short-term one to two years to keep us up.   

Mullers OG

Is RB really the most important position to fill?  We have Odoi, Christie, Sess and Fossey. 

The position where we only have 1 player is central striker.  If Mitro is injured or suspended then we have no competent back up.  Cav, Knockhaert and Kebano are all basically wide players.  Reid seems to be a second striker/winger/attacking midfield player.  Stansfield might fill the gap in
time. 

A second top class striker is to my mind the most important missing position together with a new centre back.

We Are Premier League

I haven't heard any recent links for Nathaniel Clyne or Jayden Bogle - both decent options in my mind.

PaulJ123

Lordedmundo

Quote from: Mullers OG on August 24, 2020, 10:17:30 AM
Is RB really the most important position to fill?  We have Odoi, Christie, Sess and Fossey. 

The position where we only have 1 player is central striker.  If Mitro is injured or suspended then we have no competent back up.  Cav, Knockhaert and Kebano are all basically wide players.  Reid seems to be a second striker/winger/attacking midfield player.  Stansfield might fill the gap in
time. 

A second top class striker is to my mind the most important missing position together with a new centre back.

Well yes - because neither Christie or Odoi have the pace to be a premier league full-back and Sess and Fossey probably have the pace but are lacking enough experience even at Championship level to be first choice in the Premier League next season. I think Christie is good enough as back up, Odoi good enough as a utility cover for all defensive positions. However, Fossey and Sess need to go on loan in the Championship to get game time (Fossey in particular has played just 13 reserve games total in the last 3 seasons). We need a first choice right back with the pace and quality of Fredericks or better..

shepperton white

The Rational Fan

Quote from: shepperton white on August 24, 2020, 02:00:59 PM
What about the guy from Notts Forest - cannot recall his name

Matty Cash seems more like a Premier League RWB to me, like Bryan. Maybe we could play a back three.