So different to last time we were promoted

Started by FulhamStu, August 21, 2020, 05:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roberto w6

Quote from: Statto on August 22, 2020, 01:13:09 PM
Quote from: Fernhurst on August 22, 2020, 01:10:04 PM
Quote from: Statto on August 22, 2020, 12:27:05 PM
Quote from: roberto w6 on August 22, 2020, 11:23:00 AM
We need a central spine (I think we're ok with Rodak but a  CB, CM and Forward) with proven PL experience and success even if now coming towards the end of their career with only 2 good years or so left.

Really?
Rodak will be GK
Hector will be one of the CBs
Anguissa, Cairney, Onomah, Reid, probably Reed, and possibly Seri will be our CMs
Mitro will be CF

Our spine is essentially sorted, except an LCB, and if we're being greedy perhaps a really big name central
midfielder (but I think that unlikely)

Confident approach, however, we remain heavy favourites for relegation. Let's hope Parkerball (where did that saying originate?) slow up the big boys and surprise our closest opponents.

Didn't say I was confident necessarily, just that it would be mad to think those players are going to replaced when (except LCB) those positions are low on the list of priorities

I more mean add rather than replace. I agree Rodak could do well in the PL, Hector has great potential and, as you seem to agree, would benefit and blossom with an experienced LCB next to him. But, sorry, whilst they are all good players when on song, I don't see anyone in that midfield list who we can count on week-in, week-out in the PL but I do think with an experienced and proven PL head in there, they could all improve, especially Onomah. I am a big fan of Mitro but realistically we'll be lucky if he nets a goal in every 3 or 4 games at PL level from open play so I believe we need an alternative striker both as cover for injury and to spark things up if a change is needed in a game. It would also give us more formation options for 2 up front which I think we should consider against weaker teams.

I see the above 3 positions as the most important for survival and longer-term improvement.

Jim©

I have tried to verbalize this many times,  so here goes again...
Success for us won't be about just recruitment. Look at recruitment of players who should have brought goals last season compared to defensive positions. Many thought we'd score 100 goals and let in a couple less. However the system meant that actually we ended up with a very good defensive record (4th best) and a less good scoring record (7th) despite the recruitment of many attacking players.
Its the system that's key, not (just) the players within it. Allied to that is confidence, togetherness and hard work. We lacked those last three last time around