watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our potential midfield line up

Started by jayffc, August 30, 2020, 09:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayffc

If we do indeed sign Luis (which I hope we do!) How would we accommodate all these CM's?

Reed - Luis
Mario -Cairney/Josh - Zambo

5 man midfield of huge exciting quality but offers zero wing play.. unless you intend on having Bryan/Robinson and a pacey RB bombing up the wings with these DMs dropping to cover when they do?

Potentially we sell Zambo and use the funds towards RB/CB/another forward?.... do we need an AM or winger of higher quality than what we currently have?

Lots of questions atm.

General

I personally don't want to see Anguissa go tbh - I think under Scott he could do well for us with a bit of encouragement etc.

wheelerdeeler

Said it in the transfer thread as well. If we do sign Luis as well we'd effectively have
DM: Reed, Luis
Box-to-Box: Zambo, Lemina
"#10": Onomah, Cairney

Personally think the most balanced at the start while Luis is bedding in (if he signs) would be Reed, Zambo; Onomah.

But we can mix and match until we find a "winning formula" if Parker wants to with the Midfield and it's fair to say Parker will probably set the Midfield up differently ambition wise when we play City (could be Reed, Luis, Zambo for example) compared to when we play West Brom and we've got the options to cover us for loss of form, injuries and tactical adjustments.

bencher

I have a feeling Luis only signs if we sell Anguissa. Anguissa has much better pedigree and a season in the PL under his belt. So I prefer that we keep him.

On a separate note, although we need a better RB and LCB, I think it's fair to say one of our problems in our previous PL season was the midfield did not offer the defence enough protection. It seems to me that the scouting/coaching is focusing on beefing up our DM to try to stop attacks higher up the pitch.

..FOF..

Quote from: jayffc on August 30, 2020, 09:58:56 PM
How would we accommodate all these CM's?

When Antonee signed with us, the news stated that he will fight for his place.

So I'm guessing all new faces to Fulham will not start and will have to prove themselves in training first.

I think it is fair with the exception of us signing a world class goalkeeper. The keeper might have his chance sooner than later.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ..FOF.. on August 31, 2020, 04:15:36 AM
Quote from: jayffc on August 30, 2020, 09:58:56 PM
How would we accommodate all these CM's?

When Antonee signed with us, the news stated that he will fight for his place.

So I'm guessing all new faces to Fulham will not start and will have to prove themselves in training first.

I think it is fair with the exception of us signing a world class goalkeeper. The keeper might have his chance sooner than later.

How can all the midfielders fit in:
               Rodak
Reed  KMac   Lemina Bryan
         Anguissa Stefjo
                 Seri
Cairney      Reid       Onamah

rebel

The one thing we know is that Parker will start with Onamah and Cairney. Can not see the Captain of the club not starting. Against Arsenal we'll be more defensive. I think we already look more robust as a team, the likes of Reed, Hector, Onamah, a physical presence, if that makes sense.

12 days to go.

MrFFC

Against Arsenal I would expect it to be Reed Onomah Cairney like at Wembley. If Zambo stays I expect him to break in the side. Reed Cairney Onomah all had injuries last season so smart to have Anguissa & Lemina there aswell certainly upgrades on Johansen & Arter of last season in my opinion
Come on you Whites!! :)

The Rational Fan

Quote from: MrFFC on August 31, 2020, 09:14:23 AM
Against Arsenal I would expect it to be Reed Onomah Cairney like at Wembley. If Zambo stays I expect him to break in the side. Reed Cairney Onomah all had injuries last season so smart to have Anguissa & Lemina there aswell certainly upgrades on Johansen & Arter of last season in my opinion
I think we should start with playoff starting XI, but it isn't working two changes at half-time, please. We haven't seen some of these players at this level, they could prove out of their depth or that they belong in the premier league.

Statto

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on August 30, 2020, 10:31:48 PM
Said it in the transfer thread as well. If we do sign Luis as well we'd effectively have
DM: Reed, Luis
Box-to-Box: Zambo, Lemina
"#10": Onomah, Cairney

Agree with your analysis although I think certainly Onomah and probably Luis (haven't seen him play so just going on what I've read) could comfortably play box-to-box as well.

If we sign Luis and keep Anguissa, I'll be inclined to see it as a more conscious transition to a different system, where (at least against certain opposition) we play a more fluid, dynamic midfield, with at least two, maybe three, of the versatile box-to-box types who are just as good on the ball as they are winning it back.

IMO in recent years we've been somewhat limited by having one-dimensional players in midfield who are only really useful half the time, ie defensive midfielders who aren't particularly skillful (eg McDonald) and creative midfielders who aren't great defensively (eg Cairney).

We've seen how players like Onomah who are good both with and without possession can offer more. I get the impression Parker prefers that type of midfielder.

bobbo

1975 just leaving home full of hope

filham

We need two good players for each position, right now in mid field we have:'

Reed  (k Mac)
                                                     Cairney (Lemina)         Inamo ( Stefjo)
That is how we will start but if Anguissa and Seri return then possibly and sadly it is time for KMac and Stefjo to move on as first promotion casualties.

bencher

Quote from: filham on August 31, 2020, 04:57:12 PM
We need two good players for each position, right now in mid field we have:'

Reed  (k Mac)
                                                     Cairney (Lemina)         Inamo ( Stefjo)
That is how we will start but if Anguissa and Seri return then possibly and sadly it is time for KMac and Stefjo to move on as first promotion casualties.

Inamoto is back?

I like Reed and I'm glad we have him back. But I do think in the PL we may find his passing range and the more offensive side of his game is a bit limited. Some of the shots he took in the last few games of the season were more like backpasses.