more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff - 01/09/20...

Started by WhiteJC, September 01, 2020, 12:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Southampton duo Mario Lemina and Harrison Reed join Fulham in Premier League

Fulham have signed Southampton outcast Mario Lemina on a season-long loan deal and completed the £8million permanent signing of Harrison Reed.

The 26-year-old Lemina spent the bulk of last term on loan at Galatasaray, but will now return to Premier League action with newly-promoted Fulham.

Midfielder Reed helped Fulham win the Championship play-off final while on loan from Southampton last term, and has now completed his permanent Craven Cottage switch on a four-year deal.

Lemina's deal contains an option for a permanent move for the Gabon international at the end of the loan agreement.

Director of football operations Tony Khan revealed Fulham's management team have tracked Lemina for some time.

"Mario Lemina has top-flight experience throughout Europe, including in the Premier League, and I'm very excited to announce his arrival on loan," said Khan.

"I chose to pursue Mario this summer because in our recruitment conferences he's been highly rated by our scouting team and our head coach Scott Parker, and our statistical research team.

"I believe he will thrive for our club under Scott's coaching and leadership."

Lemina joined Southampton from Juventus in an £18million deal in 2017, but his last Saints appearance was back in May 2019.
Advertisement

The former France Under-21 international is relishing the chance to work with boss Parker at Fulham.

"Now I'm with Fulham, I'm really happy and I'm glad to be part of the project," said Lemina.

"I spoke with the manager and he's got some good ideas about the team, about the project, about everything he wants to do this season, and I'm happy to be a part of it."

Reed made 28 appearances on loan at Fulham last term, and admitted he cannot wait to get stuck into the Whites' impending Premier League campaign.

"I'm absolutely buzzing to finally get it done and to be here as a permanent player, I'm absolutely over the moon," said Reed.

"It's going to be an exciting season, it's a big challenge this year, but I can't wait to get going, to get back training and I'm really looking forward to the challenge.

"I'm absolutely delighted to be here and commit my future to the club."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/southampton-duo-mario-lemina-and-harrison-reed-join-fulham-in-premier-league-1598818948000

WhiteJC

Mario Lemina makes pointed remark as he pinpoints Scott Parker role in Fulham transfer decision

Mario Lemina has left Southampton to join newly-promoted Fulham on loan, with the midfielder speaking highly of Scott Parker and the role he played in his decision

Mario Lemina has highlighted the importance of Fulham boss Scott Parker in his decision to leave Southampton.

The Gabon international has joined Fulham on loan from Southampton for the 2020/21 season, having also spent the last campaign on loan in Turkey with Galatasaray.

There has been much speculation over the future of the former Juventus midfielder, who was Southampton's record signing when he moved to the south coast from Italy in 2017.

Since then, he has played 52 times for Southampton and scored two goals, but he has not featured for Saints under Ralph Hasenhuttl since May 2019.

With Lemina seemingly out of favour at Southampton, he has now completed a season-long loan switch to Fulham, with the newly-promoted side having the option to make the move permanent at the end of the season.

And the 26-year-old has delivered his verdict on the move, with Lemina making a pointed remark in his first words since joining Fulham.

"Now I'm at Fulham, I'm really happy and I'm glad to be part of the project," he told Fulham's club website after making the move.

"I spoke with the manager [Parker] and he's got some good ideas about the team, about the project, about everything he wants to do this season, and I'm happy to be part of it."

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/lemina-pointed-remark-fulham-decision-4471666

WhiteJC

Harrison Reed's first words after leaving Southampton to join Fulham in £8m transfer

Southampton academy graduate Harrison Reed has left Saints to join Fulham on a permanent deal, having impressed on loan with Scott Parker's men last season in the Championship

Harrison Reed has said that he cannot wait to get going at Fulham after completing a permanent transfer from Southampton.

The 25-year-old has made the move permanent after impressing on loan at Fulham last season, helping Scott Parker's men to promotion from the Championship via the play-offs.

It brings to an end his time at Southampton, having come through the youth ranks at Saints and made 30 senior appearances at first team level.

The academy graduate's professional debut for Southampton came back in 2013, but he has found his opportunities limited in recent seasons, with loan spells at Norwich City, Blackburn Rovers and Fulham.

And now, after making a big impact at Fulham last season, he has completed a permanent move away from Southampton, with Reed following Mario Lemina in making the switch from the south coast to west London.

But Reed has delivered his verdict on the move after signing a four-year deal with the newly-promoted side, with the midfielder speaking positively about the switch.

"I'm absolutely buzzing to finally get it done and to be here as a permanent player, I'm absolutely over the moon," he told Fulham's club website after making the move permanent.

"It's going to be an exciting season, it is going to be a big challenge this year, but I can't wait to get going, to get back training and I'm really looking forward to the challenge.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/harrison-reed-words-southampton-fulham-4471729

WhiteJC

Nicolo Schira: Fulham 'really interested' in signing Tottenham goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga

According to transfer expert and popular journalist, Nicolo Schira, Fulham are 'really interested' in signing Tottenham goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga this summer.

The Cottagers are looking to add depth and quality to their squad ahead of the new season.

The newly-promoted Premier League club have signed two players from Southampton, with Mario Lemina joining on a season-long loan, while Harrison Reed has joined on a permanent basis after spending last season on loan at Craven Cottage.

It seems Scott Parker is looking to add a new goalkeeper and has earmarked Gazzaniga for that role.

Gazzaniga has done well for Spurs playing as a second fiddle to Hugo Lloris. However, his future at the club is in doubt following the arrival of Joe Hart on a free transfer.

Argentine side Independiente are interested in signing him, while clubs in Spain have made enquiries for him as well. But, a move to Fulham could appeal to him.

It means, he will continue playing in the Premier League and will stay in London as well.

It remains to be seen whether Fulham come up with a decent offer to sign the 28-year-old Argentine.

Fulham are also looking to bolster their attacking department this summer, and have been linked with a move for Ollie Watkins of Brentford.

https://sportslens.com/nicolo-schira-fulham-really-interested-in-signing-tottenham-goalkeeper-paulo-gazzaniga/311005/

WhiteJC

Reed And Lemina Go To Fulham

Saints have offloaded both Harrison Reed and Mario Lemina to Fulham in what is a good piece of business for the club in trimming their squad and wage bill for the coming season.

There will be mixed feelings amongst Saints supporters about the departures of Harrison Reed and Mario Lemina to Fulham, but the reality of the situation is that this is good business as neither player played any part last season and to be blunt at all.

Mario Lemina has been nothing but trouble since he arrived at the club 3 years ago, at the time it looked a good piece of business to sign a player who had appeared for Juventus in the Champions league final, but someone at the club had not been doing their homework, he was certainly talented but had never applied that talent consistently and this would be the case at Saints.

He had been a bit player at Juve and we paid £18 million for a player who at 24 had started just 49 League games in his career, he had another 35 as sub, but in hindsight the warning signs were there.

It soon became clear that although he was undoubtedly a decent player he did not have the application and seemed to prefer a career as a well paid squad player than put the effort and dedication needed to succeed at the highest level.

He has a knack for saying the right things when he signs for clubs, at Galatasaray he gushed about them and his desire to play there this coming season, yet a few days later he was saying the same things about their big rivals Besiktas, seemingly having no shame.

Now he has joined Fulham on loan for the next year he is saying the same things about the Cottagers and their manager Scott Parker, but it should be noted that he would only join on loan, he would not take a drop in his high wages at St Mary's

There won't be many Saints fans who lose much sleep over his departure again, he has been disruptive to the squad with rumours of late nights and more worryingly a penchant for taking younger impressionable members of the squad with him.

The departure of Harrison Reed will see mixed feelings in the Saints support, his reputation in some part of the fan base is high and some touted him as a replacement for Pierre Emile Hojbjerg, but the reality is that he has played few games for the club, only 6 starts and another 11 as sub,

He has not played a competitive game for Saints since April 2017 and even in that season only managed an hour's game time in the Premier League and spent the time since out on loan, he has undoubtedly improved as a player in his three season out on loan, but the truth is he is not better than what we have, so to get the rumoured fee of £8 million is good business for us.

However Harrison leaves with the best wishes of all Saints fans ringing in his ears and all hope that he will be a success in the Premier League at Fulham although not when he plays against Saints.

So two departures that are good business for the club, but two contrasting messages from the Saints supporter base.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/52799/

WhiteJC

Midfield moves hint at Fulham's survival strategy

It seems like Fulham summer signings are just like the proverbial London bus. You wait ages for one – and then a couple come along at once. The deal to convert Harrison Reed's successful loan spell into a permanent deal was a long time in the works, whilst the initial loan of Mario Lemina, who was looking for a new home after falling out of favour with Ralph Hasenhüttl at St. Mary's, came as something of a surprise but both acquisitions offer an insight into what the Fulham hierarchy are looking to do this season. With a bit of bite midfield, the aim is to make the Whites much harder to play through – something that was seemed far too easy during their last, all too brief spell in the top flight.

It is obvious that defensive additions are absolutely vital prior to the start of the season against Arsenal. The rumour mill, cranked up to well over a hundred in the past couple of weeks, has gone a bit quiet on the identities of possible centre backs and right backs, the two positions where the newly-promoted side look acutely vulnerable, but Scott Parker will be aware of precisely what his side needs to be competitive in the Premier League. Reed is arguably the most important addition of the summer – a hungry player, with a point to prove at the highest level, and someone who reads the game impeccably well, who can cover plenty of ground in the key areas of the pitch. He clearly developed an affinity with the club and his team-mates whilst on loan and the rumoured £8m fee has the potential to be something of a steal. The 25 year-old fits Parker's system down to a tee and his knowledge of how Fulham are likely to be play will mean he'll need next to no time to bed back in down at Motspur Park.

Lemina seems more of an educated gamble. The try before you buy option of a loan has worked well for Fulham over the past year and the Gabonese international's ability has never been in doubt. The question, from what you gather from Southampton supporters, is about his attitude and application. He'll want to find a new home and will also be eager to demonstrate that he belongs in the top flight, having never really built on glimmers of his class on the south coast. Fulham have a history of rehabilitating players who have gone off the boil elsewhere and making troublesome characters perform in their new colours (think just how much of a hothead Aleskandar Mitrovic was considered when he moved from St. James' Park or what a transformation Aboubakar Kamara has undergone over the past season, for example).

Suddenly, Parker has plenty of options to pick from in midfield. Reed's energy makes his return a popular one and Lemina will compete with the likes of Josh Onomah for a starting berth, whilst with the reported interest in Benfica's Florentino Luis heading towards another possible loan deal and the potential return of Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa, competition for places in the Fulham engine room will be fierce. That's essential for any side and it could help transform a team who were often a little too pedestrian in possession in the Championship into a side that's a little more dynamic both with and without the ball. Parker clearly wants his side to be streetwise and these signings should offer some more protection to a back that's sure to face a serious examination from the off, whatever the identity of any new arrivals.

If Parker's approach in the top flight is likely to be more cautious than that adopted by Slavisa Jokonavic then midfielders with a real work ethic are essential. We've seen enough of Reed's body of work to understand what he's about – the impish midfielder will hassle and harry from the outset to the end and he should be instructed not to give the league's most gifted orchestrators a moment's peace. Unlocking the class that Lemina possesses on a consistent basis might well be a tougher challenge, but both Parker and Tony Khan appear confident that he could be a good fit in SW6. The loan provides an option to buy if things go well and the man who proved pivotal a few seasons ago for Juventus might lessen Fulham's reliance on Tom Cairney, who himself will want to show that he can do it in the top flight.

Last night's double deal might well hasten the departure of a pair of Fulham favourites as well. Sky Sports suggested last night that the Whites are willing to listen to loan offers for Stefan Johansen and Kevin McDonald, two stalwarts of the side that earned promotion in 2018/2019. That makes sense given the lack of first-team opportunities for either last term, however good the duo are around the dressing room. Johansen created a lot of openings from scarcely little playing time and there's no doubt he's a quality performer in the Championship – perhaps from a more advanced role than he has been offered during Parker's tenure to date. McDonald's leadership qualities are well known and he'd be a smart signing for a second-tier side seeking to put together a promotion push, but a loan allows him the option of returning to Motspur Park to complete his coaching badges and perhaps join the Fulham backroom staff when he hangs up his boots. Neither were likely to see much first-team football at the highest level, something which seems even more remote when you factor in the new arrivals.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/08/midfield-moves-hint-at-fulhams-survival-strategy/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=midfield-moves-hint-at-fulhams-survival-strategy

WhiteJC

Fulham set to raise offer for midfielder – Hard to outbid AC Milan, now looks unlikely

Fulham have not given up on the signing of Benfica midfielder Florentino Luís, according to reports from Portugal on Monday.

Newspaper Record writes today that the Craven Cottage side shall return with a new bid for the 21-year-old very soon.

The first attempt from the club had already been reported by the Portuguese media, with the Whites trying to sign him on a loan deal plus an option to buy for €18m.

Now Record says Fulham will be back with a bigger offer.

According to the report, Benfica won't make Florentino's departure easy. The club are pointing to his €40m release clause to make things more difficult.

It's also claimed that Milan offered €3m deal for a loan with an obligatory clause to buy for €30m. That probably means that Fulham's offer must rise significantly for the Eagles to take it.

Record says that Florentino is in Jorge Jesus' plans for the reason, but would like to leave Benfica this summer.

Given Fulham have secured Mario Lemina from Southampton, this one now seems to be slipping away.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-set-raise-offer-midfielder-hard-outbid-ac-milan-now-looks-unlikely/

WhiteJC

Reed admits he is 'over the moon' to join Fulham on permanent deal

HARRISON Reed admitted he was delighted to commit his future to Fulham after ending his long association with Saints.

The 25-year-old spent last season on loan at the Cottagers, helping them clinch promotion to the Premier League.

And he has now made that move permanent, in a deal reportedly worth £8million.

Reed came through the youth setup at St Mary's and made his professional debut for the club back in 2013.

He went on to make 30 senior appearances in all competitions for Saints, with 17 of them coming in the Premier League.

But having played 28 times for Scott Parker's side in total last season, Worthing-born Reed said he was "over the moon" to be joining Fulham on a permanent basis.

He told FFCtv: "I'm absolutely buzzing to finally get it done and to be here as a permanent player, I'm absolutely over the moon.

"It's going to be an exciting season. It's a big challenge this year, but I can't wait to get going, to get back training, and I'm really looking forward to the challenge. I'm absolutely delighted to be here and commit my future to the club."

Fulham vice chairman Tony Khan said: "Harrison Reed played a massive role in our promotion to the Premier League and I'm thrilled to announce that he's now signed for Fulham as a permanent member of our club.

"I first pursued Harrison over a year ago because our scouting team and our head coach Scott Parker and our statistical research team had all highly rated his abilities in our recruitment meetings.

"When Harrison first joined us on loan last August, we'd secured an option in the agreement for a permanent transfer. Now I'm so glad we came to that agreement and so glad that now Harrison is in our Premier League squad."

Reed could feature for Fulham when Saints make the trip to Craven Cottage on Boxing Day.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/18687192.reed-admits-over-moon-join-fulham-permanent-deal/?ref=rss

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk: Reed and Lemina Sign With Fulham

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

In this episode, Max Cohen and Russ Goldman discuss the signings of Mario Lemina and Harrison Reed for Fulham.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2020/8/31/21408426/cottage-talk-reed-and-lemina-sign-with-fulham

WhiteJC

Fulham defender still an option for Leicester City as transfer hunt continues - report

The 26-year-old made 45 appearances for the Cottagers last term.

Fulham defender Joe Bryan is still an option for Leicester City this summer as Brendan Rodgers continues his search for Ben Chilwell.

That's according to a report by MailSport that also claims that Ajax left-back Nicolas Tagliafico remains on Rodgers' radar with the new season fast approaching.

Leicester are in search for a left-back this summer after Ben Chilwell made his £50m move to Chelsea last week.

And there are a number of options available to the Foxes including Atalanta star Timothy Castagne who can play at both right-back and left-back.

Castagne became a Champions League quarter-finalist for Atalanta last term, has seven Belgium caps to his name and linked up with Tielemans back in March 2019 to provide an assist for the Leicester man's first international goal.

All the talk heading into the summer was that Castagne was Tottenham bound after telling reporters from La Derniere Heure that he could not turn down an approach from Jose Mourinho's side.

But now it looks likely that Leicester are leading the race for the versatile full-back.

Bryan and Tagliafico remain options though, say those reports, after the pair we linked with Leicester moves earlier this summer.

Fulham landed Wigan defender Antonee Robinson earlier this month in a deal that is believed to be worth £50,000-per-week to the young US international.

And that has moved Bryan down the pecking order at Craven Cottage, despite scoring twice at Wembley to see Scott Paker's side promoted to the Premier League.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/city-joe-bryan-fulham-latest-4472532

WhiteJC

Fulham signing this 20-year-old Derby starlet would be a smart long-term investment

Why Jayden Bogle would be a good signing for Fulham

According to Football Insider (h/t Derbyshire Live), Derby County right-back Jayden Bogle has emerged as a target for newly-promoted Premier League club Fulham.

The Cottagers are understood to be in the market for a new right-back following their promotion to the top-flight and have set their sights on Bogle. The 20-year-old has previously linked with a move to PL outfit Burnley in recent transfer windows. (h/t Derbyshire Live)

Jayden Bogle started his footballing education at local club Reading and had a brief stint at Swindon Town before joining Derby County's youth ranks back in 2016.

The 20-year-old initially impressed for the Rams' U-18 and U-23 sides before making his first-team debut under former boss Frank Lampard during the 2018-19 campaign. Bogle has since evolved into one of the best young right-backs in the English second tier.

After finishing his debut season with an impressive tally of 2 goals and 9 assists in the Championship, the youngster continued his rise in the previous campaign with a goal and 5 assists in 37 league appearances. Bogle has also made his mark for England at the U-20 level.

Why Bogle could be a handy signing for Fulham
Fulham aren't really short of cover in the right-back department, with Cyrus Christie, Steven Sessegnon, and Denis Odoi available at manager Scott Parker's disposal.

Odoi emerged as the go-to man for the gaffer in that position last season, with Christie and Sessegnon largely featuring as stop-gaps to reduce the workload on the Belgian. The Cottagers just conceded 48 goals in 46 league games in the second tier last season, which was one of the best defensive records in the division.

However, it is worth mentioning that the same set of defenders who did so well for Fulham in the Championship last season were part of the club's defensive woes in the Premier League a couple of years ago.

The Cottagers conceded 81 goals in the top-flight during their relegated 2018-19 campaign, with Christie and Odoi sharing the duties at right-back. Hence, it wouldn't be a bad idea for Parker to reshuffle his backline with some fresh faces heading into the PL next season.

Bogle has been one of the most exciting young full-backs in the Championship over the past two seasons The 20-year-old's proven track record of goals and assists in the second tier indicates the potential he possesses.

Plus, of course, he still has his best years ahead of him and playing against the best in the business will help him take his game to the next level.

Verdict
Fulham need to do everything in their power to ensure that they don't have too many gaping holes at the back as was the case in their relegated PL campaign a couple of years ago. That being said, Jayden Bogle can be an excellent long-term investment for the Cottagers as they prepare for life in the Premier League.

https://www.mediareferee.com/2020/08/31/fulham-signing-this-20-year-old-derby-starlet-would-be-a-smart-long-term-investment/

WhiteJC

ntroducing Fulham's new academy scholars

Billy Wright runs the rule over the next batch of promising youngsters hoping to star in the Fulham academy this season ...

Michael Olakigbe

Michael is a winger who can play on either wing, but his versatility is likely to see him deployed behind the strikers in a diamond for Steve Wigley's under 18s this season. He joined Fulham from QPR in the summer of 2018 after learning his trade at the East Soccerbase Academy. Olakigbe has enormous potential and, with the right guidance and coaching could easily become another outstanding academy graduate to follow in the footsteps of Ryan Sessegnon and Marek Rodak from recent times.

The watchable winger, who qualifies for both England or Nigeria, has already drawn comparisons to Crystal Palace star Wilfried Zaha and the combination of his awesome technical ability and rapid pace leave you in no doubt as to why. Olakigbe scored an outstanding long-range strike against Reading in just his second start at under 18 level last year, demonstrating that he won't be fazed by what is ahead of him. He's got the ability to do the unexpected and is highly rated already at Motspur Park.

Xavier Benjamin

Xavier, a central defender who is also comfortable at right back or in the heart of the midfield, has been progressing through our the Fulham academy from the tender age of eight. The strong, athletic defender provides a real vocal presence on the pitch and his leadership qualities made him a successful captain of the under 16 side who form the bulk of this season's scholars. The Puma athlete performed well during his outings for the under 18s pre-lockdown and, having been included in the under-23 squad for a PL2 fixture against Stoke back in February, it is clear that Fulham are impressed by his progress. With Michael Hector providing defensive coaching with the under 18s, Benjamin could pick up some valuable skills and understanding of the game from comfortably the best defender at the club.

Stefan Parkes

Parkes usually operates on the left of a back four but has previously filled in as a left-sided centre half when needed. The full back is very comfortable with the ball at his feet and is also blessed with terrific defensive skills. He's already widely regarded as one of the most promising prospects in the academy and should shine given the emphasis placed on possession-based football at all levels of the club.

Parkes has represented his country at youth level with distinction on several occasions and was recently named captain of England's under 15s against Belgium. He joined Fulham's academy after Brentford scrapped their set-up and has come on impressively during his time at Motspur Park. Blessed with a wand of a left food, it is no exaggeration to suggest that Stefan could follow in the footsteps of Ryan Sessegnon and break into the first team squad at a young age should his development continue at a such a speedy rate.

Imani Lanquedoc

Imani is a strong, attacking-midfielder who loves to take on players with his brilliant dribbling ability. He's been with Fulham's academy since Under 11 age group, having previously being developed at Junior Elite, a programme known worldwide for developing players such as Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Emile Smith-Rowe.

A quiet individual, Imani tends to let his football do the talking – and he has a knack of both finding the net and creating goals for others. Lanquedoc is another youngster who is versatile, having shown he can operate successfully at right back. An eager tackler, who can break up opposition attacks and get Fulham going forward, means he's far from a luxury player. Imani's work ethic means he'll cover plenty of ground and that industry should stand him in good stead as he looks to make an impact under Steve Wigley this year.

Jaylan Wildbore

Jaylan is a tall, strong centre forward who joined Fulham's academy last summer from Burton Albion. He scored a hatful of goals at under 16 level over the past year and he has the ability to be another freescoring member of Steve Wigley's under 18 set up alongside the likes of Mika Biereth and Oliver Sanderson. Wildbore has already shown tremendous character to overcome the disappointment of being released by Leicester at just 12, channelling his desire into a fantastic spell with Burton Albion, where he had plenty of scouts monitoring his progress. Jaylan's prodigious finishing ability prompted Fulham to strike a compensation deal with the Brewers to bring him to Motspur Park and the talented talisman will now look to take his under-16 form into the campaign ahead.

Matthew Dibley-Dias

Dibley-Dias had a significant injury which saw him miss most of the 2019/20 campaign. Had he not been sidelined, the creative midfielder, who has shades of a young Phillipe Coutinho about him, would certainly have already been involved at under-18 level. Like Stefan Parkes, Matt joined the Fulham's academy from our near neighbours Brentford. He's a technically-gifted number ten with a real eye for goal. Fulham have high hopes for Dibley-Dias and it will be interesting to see how he performs in the coming months, with the injury setbacks hopefully behind him now.

Oliver Sanderson

Olly, a traditional centre forward, joined Fulham at Under 9 level and has already made a name for himself as a pacey forward, who loves to speed away from defences and score goals. Sanderson has regularly topped the goalscoring charts since signing for Fulham and he offers an outlet in tight games, giving his side the ability to go more direct when needed. Olly is one of the few scholars yet to feature for the under 18s, but that already shows just how much faith Fulham have in the youngster. He's got a fantastic attitude and I have no doubt that he can flourish under Wigley and the academy coaches this season.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/08/introducing-fulhams-new-academy-scholars/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=introducing-fulhams-new-academy-scholars

WhiteJC

Fulham 2020/21 Premier League Season Preview | The Hard Tackle

With the 2020/21 Premier League season about to kick off, The Hard Tackle assesses the prospects of Fulham, who are back in the top flight.

Fulham Football Club and Craven Cottage are no strangers to English football or even the Premier League. They are London's oldest football club, dating back to 1879, after being founded as St. Andrews Cricket and Football Club.

Courtesy of an over-performing campaign in the Championship courtesy of Scott Parker, Fulham have returned to the Premier League, to play their 28th season in the top flight.

To be honest, Fulham were embarrassed during the last time they were promoted to the Premier League, finishing 19th and conceding an enormous amount of goals despite having the 2017/18 Championship Player of the Season – Ryan Sessegnon – among their ranks.

They return to the biggest stage in England with a bit more promise, and The Hard Tackle takes the responsibility of bringing you their season preview – a guide for all you need to know about Fulham Football Club.

Prelude – The Backdrop
2018/19 was havoc for Fulham after they were promoted to the top flight. Most of this chaos came in the form of incoming players; the London outfit spent £100 million+ on new players, but these arrivals were not given enough time to gel in and naturally lacked chemistry.

They sacked two managers: Slavisa Jokanovic, the man who spent three years at the club, helping them gain promotion, and then former Premier League-winning manager Claudio Ranieri. This paved the way for Fulham legend Scott Parker to take over as interim and then permanent manager within two years of his retirement at the same club.

There were not too many people expecting Fulham to challenge for promotion this past season, having been , especially under a rookie manager and a half-decent squad on paper.

The Championship is arguably the most entertaining league for a neutral to watch – it goes by like a roller-coaster, and such was the case for Fulham. Life started slowly under the English manager, who lost his first game in charge in the Championship, but quickly picked up the pace, winning the next three games.

After a rocky start in the second division, which saw seven wins, five draws, and four defeats in the first 16 matchdays, the Cottagers stood 7th but found a more consistent plane after that. They maintained their spot in the top 6 for 29 straight gameweeks, till the last day of the season.

During this streak, they defeated several favourites like Derby County, Leeds United, Swansea City, Cardiff City, and Nottingham Forest. Despite their brilliant run, they were only able to come in touching distance to the automatic promotion spots (top two), but fell short eventually, securing fourth place – enough for a playoff spot, though.

Securing a chance in the playoff was not enough, sadly, as they had to overcome two stages of fixtures – two against Cardiff and then the finals against the winner of Brentford vs Swansea. As they prepared for their toughest test of the season, Parker & co. received a massive dagger to their heart, losing their best player and top scorer – Aleksandar Mitrovic – to injury just before the playoffs.

This was the time for the rest of the squad to come up clutch, and Neeskens Kebano rose to the occasion. He had made no more than five starts throughout the season, scoring three goals, all three coming in the last two games of the season. The Congolese scored a goal each in the two fixtures against Swansea, pushing Fulham to the finals, with a 3-2 aggregate win.

In the finals, Fulham locked horns against arguably the best team in the regular season – Brentford. Mitrovic returned to the bench for this game, even though he was not fit enough to play. He had to be brought on in the 90th minute after the match ended 0-0 in regulation time.

But it was left-back Joe Bryan who won the game for Fulham scoring a goal in each half of extra time. Henrik Dalsgaard's consolation was not enough as Fulham secured their place in the top flight once again.

Squad Update
Fulham do not particularly boast of a top-notch squad, not good enough to compete at the highest level of England, at least. They have a top-heavy team and were lucky Brentford did not take their chances in the final. The team is structure looks quite similar to Norwich City's, who came to the Premier League last season but finished last, conceding a humongous 75 goals.

They have made some changes to their team so far, and could further add some players to push them to safety next season. The most vital addition to Fulham this season has been securing the services of Anthony Knockaert on a permanent transfer from Brighton and Hove Albion.

The Frenchman spent a season on loan at the London club, a spell for which the Cottagers paid £4 million. The permanent deal cost them £12 million, but is probably worth it, given his excellent first season.

In 42 appearances in the Championship last season, Knockaert scored three goals and set up an additional four for his teammates. He also created 12 big chances (joint 7th-highest), playing 1.4 key passes per game.

Another deal made permanent is of Harrison Reed from Southampton. The 25-year-old, who faced a couple of calf injury issues over the course of the season, was primarily deployed as a defensive midfielder, clocking in 25 games, out of which 21 were starts.

Scott Parker has also purchased Antonee Robinson from Wigan Athletic for €2.1 million. The American will likely be played as the deputy left-back, giving competition to Joe Bryan, who himself had a magnificent season. This could spell trouble for Maxime Le Marchand, though, who was the backup in the same position.

Finally, Mario Lemina has been brought in on loan from Southampton for a fee of £2 million. The Gabonese international is an extremely versatile midfielder and can play anywhere in the centre of the park. With a tough season ahead, we can expect Lemina to fight for the DM spot against Reed and Kevin McDonald.

Two notable players who have returned from loan are Jean Michael Seri and Andre Zambo Anguissa. The former spent one season with Fulham in the Premier League in 2018/19, playing 32 games, but was not among the best in white, failing to live up to the hype.

The latter was on loan to Villareal and was a significant part of an excellent season by the Yellow Submarines. He was majorly stationed as a central midfielder. Still, Villarreal chose not to exercise his £27 million voluntary purchase option. He remains on their radar, but if he fails to leave, he could be an excellent part of the team for Fulham.

There have been no sales from Fulham, but they have managed to get rid of less-notable players from their roster. Luca de la Torre departed to Eredivisie side Heracles Almelo on a free transfer. He clocked in just 16 minutes last season, playing a grand total of 6 passes. Under-23 goalkeeper Magnus Norman departed on a free transfer to fourth-tier team Carlise United.

Terence Kongolo returned to parent club Huddersfield United after playing 12 games for Fulham on loan in the left-back role. He has been replaced by Robinson. Harry Arter, too, returned to AFC Bournemouth despite capping off a solid season for Fulham, scoring two goals, and assisting once in 28 games.

Key Fixtures
For a team returning to the top flight, any and all fixtures are crucial to fulfilling the minimum requirement – to guarantee safety. However, some fixtures stand out every season: the derbies, the matches against fellow relegation warriors, the streaks, among others.

Fulham's journey back in the Premier League starts off with a bang, hosting FA Cup, and Community Shield winners, Arsenal. To add to their pressure, this game is a London derby, and a loss could be a massive blow to their morale.

In gameweek 3, they play Aston Villa at home, and this game could turn out to extremely important in the race for safety. The next of the same opponent comes on Gameweek 30, 3rd April, next year.

The fixtures will come to come hard and fast all season, and Fulham will face four challenging fixtures in the space of four weeks (gameweek 9-12): Everton home, Leicester City away, Manchester City away, and Liverpool home. Winning even one of these games could turn to be a real turning point in their season.

They also face Manchester United and Chelsea in the space on three days in January – gameweek 18 & 19.

Another tough run of games will then welcome them in April when they face three derby opponents – Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, and Chelsea in two weeks.

Both fixtures against West Bromwich Albion could turn out to be vital as well if we consider that they might just be in the relegation battle as well. The first of the two games will be at home in gameweek 7, on 31st October, and then away in gameweek 21, on 30th January.

Like their season opener, Fulham will end the season at the Craven Cottage, playing against Newcastle United after visiting the Old Trafford in the previous gameweek.

Key Players
Aleksandar Mitrovic

Arguably their most important player, Aleksandar Mitrovic returns to haunt the Premier League once again. Mitrovic had scored 11 goals for Fulham during the 2018/19 season in the PL, missing just one game, that too due to suspension.

He finished the 2019/20 campaign in the Championship as the highest scorer in the league with 26 goals, one clear of Ollie Watkins. His dominant nature and imposing physique suit the Premier League, and he could be even more critical for Fulham this year.

Ivan Cavaleiro
Another forward, Ivan Cavaleiro is Fulham's star man on the flanks. He joined the team in July 2018 on loan from Wolverhampton Wanderers but was bought after just six months owing to his brilliant start to life in London.

The Portuguese winger took part in 43 games for the Cottagers in the last season, scoring six goals and assisting seven times. He created 14 big chances – fifth-highest in the league while playing 1.5 key passes per game.

Season Expectations
Fulham have a squad that runs thin in terms of both quality and quantity when it comes to defenders, especially centre-halves. This season, especially, is going to run hard and fast, with fixtures every week till May end, and there is just not enough depth and quality in the Fulham squad right now to sustain for an entire season while juggling two additional competitions.

Despite boasting a rather exciting attack, and quality midfield, Fulham will most likely be run into the ground, finishing 20th. There is hardly any case that can be made for the Cottagers this season. A long time before the transfer window ends, though.

THT Prediction: 20th (Relegated)

Author Prediction: 20th

http://www.thehardtackle.com/opinion/fulham-202021-premier-league-season-preview-the-hard-tackle

Deeping_white

Quote from: whitejc on September 01, 2020, 12:30:19 AM
Fulham 2020/21 Premier League Season Preview | The Hard Tackle

With the 2020/21 Premier League season about to kick off, The Hard Tackle assesses the prospects of Fulham, who are back in the top flight.

Fulham Football Club and Craven Cottage are no strangers to English football or even the Premier League. They are London's oldest football club, dating back to 1879, after being founded as St. Andrews Cricket and Football Club.

Courtesy of an over-performing campaign in the Championship courtesy of Scott Parker, Fulham have returned to the Premier League, to play their 28th season in the top flight.

To be honest, Fulham were embarrassed during the last time they were promoted to the Premier League, finishing 19th and conceding an enormous amount of goals despite having the 2017/18 Championship Player of the Season – Ryan Sessegnon – among their ranks.

They return to the biggest stage in England with a bit more promise, and The Hard Tackle takes the responsibility of bringing you their season preview – a guide for all you need to know about Fulham Football Club.

Prelude – The Backdrop
2018/19 was havoc for Fulham after they were promoted to the top flight. Most of this chaos came in the form of incoming players; the London outfit spent £100 million+ on new players, but these arrivals were not given enough time to gel in and naturally lacked chemistry.

They sacked two managers: Slavisa Jokanovic, the man who spent three years at the club, helping them gain promotion, and then former Premier League-winning manager Claudio Ranieri. This paved the way for Fulham legend Scott Parker to take over as interim and then permanent manager within two years of his retirement at the same club.

There were not too many people expecting Fulham to challenge for promotion this past season, having been , especially under a rookie manager and a half-decent squad on paper.

The Championship is arguably the most entertaining league for a neutral to watch – it goes by like a roller-coaster, and such was the case for Fulham. Life started slowly under the English manager, who lost his first game in charge in the Championship, but quickly picked up the pace, winning the next three games.

After a rocky start in the second division, which saw seven wins, five draws, and four defeats in the first 16 matchdays, the Cottagers stood 7th but found a more consistent plane after that. They maintained their spot in the top 6 for 29 straight gameweeks, till the last day of the season.

During this streak, they defeated several favourites like Derby County, Leeds United, Swansea City, Cardiff City, and Nottingham Forest. Despite their brilliant run, they were only able to come in touching distance to the automatic promotion spots (top two), but fell short eventually, securing fourth place – enough for a playoff spot, though.

Securing a chance in the playoff was not enough, sadly, as they had to overcome two stages of fixtures – two against Cardiff and then the finals against the winner of Brentford vs Swansea. As they prepared for their toughest test of the season, Parker & co. received a massive dagger to their heart, losing their best player and top scorer – Aleksandar Mitrovic – to injury just before the playoffs.

This was the time for the rest of the squad to come up clutch, and Neeskens Kebano rose to the occasion. He had made no more than five starts throughout the season, scoring three goals, all three coming in the last two games of the season. The Congolese scored a goal each in the two fixtures against Swansea, pushing Fulham to the finals, with a 3-2 aggregate win.

In the finals, Fulham locked horns against arguably the best team in the regular season – Brentford. Mitrovic returned to the bench for this game, even though he was not fit enough to play. He had to be brought on in the 90th minute after the match ended 0-0 in regulation time.

But it was left-back Joe Bryan who won the game for Fulham scoring a goal in each half of extra time. Henrik Dalsgaard's consolation was not enough as Fulham secured their place in the top flight once again.

Squad Update
Fulham do not particularly boast of a top-notch squad, not good enough to compete at the highest level of England, at least. They have a top-heavy team and were lucky Brentford did not take their chances in the final. The team is structure looks quite similar to Norwich City's, who came to the Premier League last season but finished last, conceding a humongous 75 goals.

They have made some changes to their team so far, and could further add some players to push them to safety next season. The most vital addition to Fulham this season has been securing the services of Anthony Knockaert on a permanent transfer from Brighton and Hove Albion.

The Frenchman spent a season on loan at the London club, a spell for which the Cottagers paid £4 million. The permanent deal cost them £12 million, but is probably worth it, given his excellent first season.

In 42 appearances in the Championship last season, Knockaert scored three goals and set up an additional four for his teammates. He also created 12 big chances (joint 7th-highest), playing 1.4 key passes per game.

Another deal made permanent is of Harrison Reed from Southampton. The 25-year-old, who faced a couple of calf injury issues over the course of the season, was primarily deployed as a defensive midfielder, clocking in 25 games, out of which 21 were starts.

Scott Parker has also purchased Antonee Robinson from Wigan Athletic for €2.1 million. The American will likely be played as the deputy left-back, giving competition to Joe Bryan, who himself had a magnificent season. This could spell trouble for Maxime Le Marchand, though, who was the backup in the same position.

Finally, Mario Lemina has been brought in on loan from Southampton for a fee of £2 million. The Gabonese international is an extremely versatile midfielder and can play anywhere in the centre of the park. With a tough season ahead, we can expect Lemina to fight for the DM spot against Reed and Kevin McDonald.

Two notable players who have returned from loan are Jean Michael Seri and Andre Zambo Anguissa. The former spent one season with Fulham in the Premier League in 2018/19, playing 32 games, but was not among the best in white, failing to live up to the hype.

The latter was on loan to Villareal and was a significant part of an excellent season by the Yellow Submarines. He was majorly stationed as a central midfielder. Still, Villarreal chose not to exercise his £27 million voluntary purchase option. He remains on their radar, but if he fails to leave, he could be an excellent part of the team for Fulham.

There have been no sales from Fulham, but they have managed to get rid of less-notable players from their roster. Luca de la Torre departed to Eredivisie side Heracles Almelo on a free transfer. He clocked in just 16 minutes last season, playing a grand total of 6 passes. Under-23 goalkeeper Magnus Norman departed on a free transfer to fourth-tier team Carlise United.

Terence Kongolo returned to parent club Huddersfield United after playing 12 games for Fulham on loan in the left-back role. He has been replaced by Robinson. Harry Arter, too, returned to AFC Bournemouth despite capping off a solid season for Fulham, scoring two goals, and assisting once in 28 games.

Key Fixtures
For a team returning to the top flight, any and all fixtures are crucial to fulfilling the minimum requirement – to guarantee safety. However, some fixtures stand out every season: the derbies, the matches against fellow relegation warriors, the streaks, among others.

Fulham's journey back in the Premier League starts off with a bang, hosting FA Cup, and Community Shield winners, Arsenal. To add to their pressure, this game is a London derby, and a loss could be a massive blow to their morale.

In gameweek 3, they play Aston Villa at home, and this game could turn out to extremely important in the race for safety. The next of the same opponent comes on Gameweek 30, 3rd April, next year.

The fixtures will come to come hard and fast all season, and Fulham will face four challenging fixtures in the space of four weeks (gameweek 9-12): Everton home, Leicester City away, Manchester City away, and Liverpool home. Winning even one of these games could turn to be a real turning point in their season.

They also face Manchester United and Chelsea in the space on three days in January – gameweek 18 & 19.

Another tough run of games will then welcome them in April when they face three derby opponents – Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, and Chelsea in two weeks.

Both fixtures against West Bromwich Albion could turn out to be vital as well if we consider that they might just be in the relegation battle as well. The first of the two games will be at home in gameweek 7, on 31st October, and then away in gameweek 21, on 30th January.

Like their season opener, Fulham will end the season at the Craven Cottage, playing against Newcastle United after visiting the Old Trafford in the previous gameweek.

Key Players
Aleksandar Mitrovic

Arguably their most important player, Aleksandar Mitrovic returns to haunt the Premier League once again. Mitrovic had scored 11 goals for Fulham during the 2018/19 season in the PL, missing just one game, that too due to suspension.

He finished the 2019/20 campaign in the Championship as the highest scorer in the league with 26 goals, one clear of Ollie Watkins. His dominant nature and imposing physique suit the Premier League, and he could be even more critical for Fulham this year.

Ivan Cavaleiro
Another forward, Ivan Cavaleiro is Fulham's star man on the flanks. He joined the team in July 2018 on loan from Wolverhampton Wanderers but was bought after just six months owing to his brilliant start to life in London.

The Portuguese winger took part in 43 games for the Cottagers in the last season, scoring six goals and assisting seven times. He created 14 big chances – fifth-highest in the league while playing 1.5 key passes per game.

Season Expectations
Fulham have a squad that runs thin in terms of both quality and quantity when it comes to defenders, especially centre-halves. This season, especially, is going to run hard and fast, with fixtures every week till May end, and there is just not enough depth and quality in the Fulham squad right now to sustain for an entire season while juggling two additional competitions.

Despite boasting a rather exciting attack, and quality midfield, Fulham will most likely be run into the ground, finishing 20th. There is hardly any case that can be made for the Cottagers this season. A long time before the transfer window ends, though.

THT Prediction: 20th (Relegated)

Author Prediction: 20th

http://www.thehardtackle.com/opinion/fulham-202021-premier-league-season-preview-the-hard-tackle

There are so many basic factual inaccuracies and weird opinions in this article that it hurts my head - Knockaert had a fantastic season??? Whoever wrote this is on some strong drugs

WhiteJC

Aston Villa set to deal Fulham and Sheffield United transfer blow with £25m deal
Aston Villa are ready to smash their club transfer record.

Aston Villa are set to make a big statement in the summer transfer window by completing a £25million deal for Brentford striker Ollie Watkins, who was also tracked by Fulham and Sheffield United. According to The Sun, Watkins is expected to join Villa and reunite with former Bees boss Dean Smith. 

Watkins looks set to depart Brentford after four years at the club, with Villa seeming his most likely destination.

The centre-forward, who was named the Championship's Player of the Season over the weekend, was coveted by the Villains last year but ended up staying at Griffin Park. 

He bagged 26 goals and helped push the Bees towards the play-offs, ultimately losing to Fulham in the final at Wembley after the club's highest league finish under the new table format [3rd in Championship].

Brentford slapped a £25m price tag on his head at the start of the transfer window with numerous teams sniffing around him, and it appears Villa are ready to make their move.

Smith was desperate to sign the striker, having nurtured him during his time in west London. 

The pair enjoyed a close relationship during their time together, when Watkins was predominantly played on the wing. 

Smith had French striker Neal Maupay at his disposal, and employed Watkins out wide to accommodate him. 

The club's long-term plan was to move the English ace into a centre-forward position after Maupay's departure, and that move paid off as he bagged 26 goals in all competitions.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1329721/Aston-Villa-Fulham-Sheffield-United-transfer-25

WhiteJC

Report: Aston Villa set to beat Fulham to signature of Brentford striker Ollie Watkins in £22 million move

According to The Sun, Aston Villa are set to sign £22 million-rated Brentford striker Ollie Watkins after the London side brought in Ivan Toney from League One side Peterborough as a replacement, beating Fulham and Sheffield United to his signature.

The Bees failed to secure Premier League promotion after losing the final of the Championship play-offs to Scott Parker's side, but they are aware that Watkins wants to play in the top-flight and are now ready to cash in on him.

The 24-year-old ended last term with 26 league goals and will now look to prove himself in the big time.

The Brentford star isn't short of suitors in the EPL, but Villa have blown Fulham out of the water in the race for his signature by offering him a mouthwatering £70,000-a-week deal.

Dean Smith's side want to have Watkins in before the new Premier League campaign kicks off, and they also wish to land his teammates Said Benrahma and Rico Henry too.

A deal could be wrapped up in the coming days as Brentford now have another striker, and Fulham will have to look elsewhere for the attacking reinforcements they need for top-flight survival.

Villa scored just 41 league goals last term, averaging just a goal per game as they narrowly escaped relegation, but they could secure a comfortable finish in 2020-21 should they land the in-demand Watkins – a player eager to prove himself at the highest level.

https://sportslens.com/report-aston-villa-set-to-beat-fulham-to-signature-of-brentford-striker-ollie-watkins-in-22-million-move/311108/

WhiteJC

Are Leeds in danger of doing a Fulham?

If Victor Orta pulls off the rumoured moves for Udinese midfielder Rodrigo De Paul and Dinamo Zagreb defender Josko Gvardiol, it would bring Leeds spending to £110 million this transfer window. On a par with this summer's big spenders Manchester City and Chelsea. But many fans, particularly from rival clubs have accused Leeds of 'doing a Fulham'. The West London club famously spent over £100 million on their return to the premier league in 2018 before swiftly being relegated again as they finished nineteenth in the Premier League, only the truly awful Huddersfield Town won fewer points that season. So, should Leeds fans be concerned?

Over on Twitter Andrew Bredesen has done some great research using information from statistical website Transfermarkt comparing Leeds' spending to the Fulham side of 2018/19 and the Villa squad of 2019/20 to see if there is anything Leeds fans should be worried about. Starting with Leeds, assuming the two deals mentioned are completed, Leeds will have singed 11 players this summer for a total in the region of £110 million. Of those 11 players, 3 were already at the club and 4 have been signed for the u23's. Leeds have therefore signed 4 players for the first team squad that they didn't have last season. Arguably they have brought in replacements for Nketiah, White and Berardi, as such only increasing the size of the squad by 1 player.

By comparison in 2018/19 season, Fulham signed a total of 15 players for £105m. Of these 14 were new players for the first team squad, costing around £83 million. In the 2019/20 season, Villa signed a total of 16 players for £143m. Of those 13 were new players for the first team squad, costing around £112 million. Already we can see a huge difference in transfer strategies. Fulham and Villa required massive rebuilding jobs, overhauling most of their squads in the process. Leeds are looking to fill key gaps in their squad, whilst retaining the majority of the team which played so well together last season to win promotion. But the number of transfers isn't the only factor, quality of singings is just as important, if not more so.

Leeds broke their long-standing transfer record with the £27 million signing of Rodrigo, a player with years of experience in La Liga and Spain's current Number 9. In 2018/19 Fulham paid £22 million for Mitrovic, a player who admittedly had Premier League experience but had only mustered 10 goals in 40 appearances. In 2019/20 Villa signed Wesley Moraes and Mbwana Samatta, neither with any experience higher than the Belgium top-flight for a combined £31.5 million. They went on to score just 6 goals in 35 games. At £31 million, Rodrigo De Paul would be a step beyond what Villa or Fulham paid for a single player but with 24 goals in 141 Serie A games an 17 caps for Argentina, he is a different class altogether.

The other key signing for Leeds so far has been Robin Koch. A centre back with over 80 Bundesliga appearances under his belt and 2 caps for Germany, expected to be 4 by the end of the week. Fulham's key defensive signing was Alfie Mawson who at £15.2 million was nearly £4 million more than Koch. Mawson had fewer topflight games experience than Koch and was previously part of a poor defence that saw Swansea relegated from the Premier League. Villa signed Tryone Mings and Ezri Konsa for a combined £32 million, Mings with only 17 top-flight games for Bournemouth and Konsa had never played higher than the Championship. If Leeds did pay a fee of £18 million for Gvardiol it would seem like a lot for an 18-year-old but the combined fee along with Koch would still be less than Villa paid for their defence last summer.

In summary Leeds aren't doing a Fulham or Villa, they are doing their own thing. Keeping the core of the existing squad together but strengthening in key areas with real quality. Victor Orta and Andrea Radrizzani may be splashing the cash, but this is by no means a scattergun approach, the players they are going after are top quality and fill specific gaps in the squad. The other reason we aren't doing a Fulham or Villa is that we have a genuinely world class coach in Marcelo Bielsa who achieved wonders with the squad we had, who knows what he can achieve with additional world class players at his disposal. There is no proven formula for Premier League survival, but Leeds United's moves this last week have been really promising.

https://motforum.com/article.php?page=40069

WhiteJC

Galatasaray is looking to sign United midfielder as De Beek move closes

GALATASARAY IS KEEN TO SIGN MANCHESTER UNITED MIDFIELDER FRED. BUT OLE IS RELUCTANT TO GIVE HIM UP AS THEY LOOK TO SEAL ANOTHER MIDFIELDER.
Fred has not been able to secure a spot in the Manchester United lineup so far. The Brazilian was a bench warmer for most of the post-lockdown games. Hence, his future at United has been under doubts. Leading to several interests rising from various clubs. The most recent one coming from Turkey.

Superliga club Galatasaray seems to be fond of the midfielder. The Turkish club is keen to make a move for him. They are hoping to sign him for a season-long loan as per Fotomac. Galatasaray gaffer Fatih Terim is looking to bolster his midfield this summer. And Fred seems to be a great option for him to consider.

The Brazilian has been struggling to get game time lately. Bruno Fernandes, Paul Pogba, and Matic has been dominating the Red Devils midfield. Hence, Fred was under the speculations of rethinking his role in the squad. As a result, Galatasaray made the proposal to sign him on loan.

The Turkish outfit are also looking to add a buyout clause at the end of the loan. They are desperate to reinforce their midfield after two of their stars are set to leave.

Mario Lemina and Jean-Michael Seri are to return to Southampton and Fulham as their loan end. Galatasaray did pursue a move to sign the duo, but they seem to have issues in making a deal. Hence, Man United man Fred seems to be the best alternative for Terim.

OLE GUNNAR MAY NOT APPROVE THE MOVE
Fred has not been starting for United lately, leading to speculations on the uncertainty of his future. But Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is still an admirer of the Brazilian. Hence, Galatasaray may have to return empty-handed. The Norwegian gaffer seems to have certain plans made for Fred in the long run. So a move away from United may not happen soon.

Fred has made just 48 appearances this term for United. But he was able to net two goals and provide four assists. The 27-year-old is still in the good books of Ole Gunnar. Fred was signed form Shakhtar on a £52m deal. The Brazilian has not had an impressive season since his arrival in 2018. But Ole seems to want him in his squad.

Nemanja Matic has been playing as the midfielder anchor for United. Fred also plays in the same role. But Ole has been picking the Serbian over the Brazilian. Also with Pogba back in the game, Fred has been struggling to get minutes on the field.

The player on the other hand wants to continue at Old Trafford. Though he has been a bench warmer lately, he is confident to get more minutes. Also, Ole Gunnar wants a friendly competition for the position. He also has a contract until 2023 with United. Hence, Fred may not be leaving this summer.

UNITED TO SEAL THE FIRST SIGNING OF THIS SUMMER
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was disappointed to see United silent in the transfer window. But that may change very soon, United are reportedly targeting Donny Van de Beek of Ajax. Reports hint that United made a £40m offer for the playmaker and Ajax has no objections.

Hence, van de Beek may soon join United in the coming days. But the club is yet to agree on personal terms with the ace. Ronald Koeman was also keen to sign him to Barcelona to bolster their midfield. With no advancements in the potential move. Also, Van de Beek is a fan of the Red Devils, and reaching terms with him may not be a big task.

The Dutchman is likely to be United's first signing of the summer. With more stars to come in before the window closes. Ole Gunnar and his lads were able to finish third to secure the UCL spot too. The Norwegian will make sure to keep the form up for the next season as well.

https://the12thman.in/galatasaray-is-looking-to-sign-united-midfielder-as-de-beek-move-closes/

Jim©

Quote from: Deeping_white on September 01, 2020, 08:37:27 AM

There are so many basic factual inaccuracies and weird opinions in this article that it hurts my head - Knockaert had a fantastic season??? Whoever wrote this is on some strong drugs

And this cracker "They have a top-heavy team and were lucky Brentford did not take their chances in the final." Chances?? What chances.