more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Parker has 100% last say on transfers

Started by FulhamStu, September 10, 2020, 06:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deeping_white

Quote from: General on September 10, 2020, 07:13:42 PM
I can have 100% chance to vote but still be influenced by media.

When parker says that they're not ours and signed yet less than an hour or two before tete is announced it kinda gives off the impression parker doesn't know what's going on and he's just happy to pay lip service as long as he has a chat with the players first.

I imagine he has wanted players TK hasn't got and likely not wanted that TK has put in front of him

Or he's not going to publicly talk about players before we've announced they're ours. Only managers with dodgy morals openly talk about other players before they're signed, and if you actually watched the video of him respond to the question, he went to give a detailed answer and stopped himself after the first response and said that's all for now. He clearly knew we were going to sign them but just did the honourable thing and dodged the question before it was made official 

jayffc

My personal limitations? ....nice choice. I've no issue understanding concepts when based in evidence, I also understand how bias towards an idea we wish to stick by can lead to a warped perspective of what is presented to us, and how it informs our lens (and yes, were all capable of that)...

with the lack of evidence to the contrary in this case I don't see it as a reasonable stance to assume the process is any different than what is stated ad nauseum thats all...and that is NOT that he just picks from whats he's given... literally was a whole in depth interview on this where the process was explained as a 3 box system and that Tony was excited that Parker was much more wanting and willing to get more involved in the transfer process and share the responsibility... There was zero indication that that process just included picking from what he was given...seemed very possible that were Parker to be interested in a player, the stat and scout team would then see how they each rated them...and visa versa. And frankly that kinda makes sense!
You have 2 teams dedicated soley to finding players and identifying the best ones for Parker who's main focus is whats going on on the pitch... as long as the door isn't closed (and as stated in various interviews now it isnt)  for him to be the instigator of identifying a particular target, then what are you basing this argument on?

I see countless interviews and articles from various sources saying its a 3 way dialogue. That they all contribute. Further confirmation from Parker and TK says that Scott takes an interest (more than Slav did) and is free to be as actively involved in it as he wants to be... I've never seen in the last 3 years anyone in an official club position or even an insider say that Parker just picks from what he's given and thats the extent of it. That there's no room for him to suggest a player and and for the stats and scouts teams to then review it....Yet its stated like thats how it is by some posters, that as far as it im aware ,have no inside knowledge on it what so ever. Happy to be pointed to an article where its stated explicitly that Parker just picks from a list...as I havent seen it.

I can understand there were more mixed things in the media with Slav but that just doesn't seem to be the case now (if it ever was, which according to TK wasn't the case, though who knows the full story) ...Scott wants to be deeply involved...and it seems he is...thats good enough for me.

Glad to say I had noticed that you've been a bit more balanced about TKs performance of late as is fair. Lets hope we all feel positively about them by the season end. On a side note, think he needs to really sort the CB situation as a matter of urgency. If not he'll rightly be in for alot of stick.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Statto on September 10, 2020, 06:49:33 PM
Voters in Hong Kong have the 100% last say in their elections. They can elect any one of the candidates Beijing has chosen for them.

Exactly
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: Statto on September 10, 2020, 07:11:13 PM
Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on September 10, 2020, 07:08:47 PM
Voters in Hong Kong have the 100% last say in their elections. They can elect any one of the candidates Beijing has chosen for them.

Not the same. Parker can have 100% final say if that is the process the owner or DF has ordered. Before Xi Hong Kong did operate as a democratic city-state.

So TK, rather than Parker, can choose we sign if that's what the owner or DF has ordered? Yes quite right. Don't disagree.

Is there any club where this hasn't ever been the case in the history of modern English football? The owner/board always has the final say. If Parker is to be believed, the process at FFC gives him final say as dictated by our owner to our DoF to Parker. Seems like a normal football club process to me.

Statto

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on September 10, 2020, 11:21:57 PM
Quote from: Statto on September 10, 2020, 07:11:13 PM
Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on September 10, 2020, 07:08:47 PM

Not the same. Parker can have 100% final say if that is the process the owner or DF has ordered. Before Xi Hong Kong did operate as a democratic city-state.

So TK, rather than Parker, can choose we sign if that's what the owner or DF has ordered? Yes quite right. Don't disagree.

Is there any club where this hasn't ever been the case in the history of modern English football? The owner/board always has the final say. If Parker is to be believed, the process at FFC gives him final say as dictated by our owner to our DoF to Parker. Seems like a normal football club process to me.

Well of course technically an owner has final say on anything, whether that's a transfer decision or deciding how many slices of bacon go in the fans' burgers. But I think that's a bit of an oversimplification. I don't claim to know the exact evolution of these things, but up to around 2013, aside from a couple of periods where we briefly tried to bring in a DoF (eg Baresi) I'm pretty sure the manager (Adams, Tigana, Sanchez, Hodgson, Jol et al) led the transfer process and the chairman's function was essentially just to sign the cheques. In recent years the big clubs have brought DoFs and stats into the process, so have we, but I assume it varies from club to club where the balance of power lies between those individuals. I suspect Parker is at the lower end of the spectrum in terms of power compared to his counterparts at other clubs - at the end of the day there's a reason we call him the "head coach" whereas the likes of Warnock have kept the "manager" title.

RaySmith

Quote from: General on September 10, 2020, 07:13:42 PM
I can have 100% chance to vote but still be influenced by media.

When parker says that they're not ours and signed yet less than an hour or two before tete is announced it kinda gives off the impression parker doesn't know what's going on and he's just happy to pay lip service as long as he has a chat with the players first.

I imagine he has wanted players TK hasn't got and likely not wanted that TK has put in front of him

Would Parker, whose star must be high  after gaining promotion with Fulham at first shout, sign a new contract if he knew that TK was going to sign players for the team whom Parker didn't want?

Obviously Parker can't have every players he wants, for various reasons, but I'm sure he makes it clear the type of player he wants, and is involved in their signing.
He must have a good idea of what  his DOF is like by now, when he put pen to paper to his new contract.

Apart from anything else it's his reputation and career on the line how we do this season.
I think both SP and TK   very much want Fulham  to stay in the Prem.

Maybe I'm deluded, but I just think why wouldn't the  owners and manager want the very best for Fulham, so  we can do as well as possible.

Yes, some owners are obviously dodgy, running the club they own into the ground to line their own pockets, but I don't think the Khans are like this, as indicated so far anyway, investing heavily in players and infrastructure.

Jim©

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 10, 2020, 11:09:18 PM

Exactly

But it's not "exactly" as you say. What it does mean, if taken literally, is that we will not see a player that Parker hasn't "OK'd". Isn't that a great thing?

ScalleysDad

It will be interesting to see the stance of some people ten games in if, ( for example only with no stats or videos), Tete has dropped a few clangers. Will the forum be dissecting whose fault it is as a Parker or a TK purchase? I expect it will but I have read enough articles, interviews and punditry to believe that last time round in the Prem the first team squad splintered and the start of this season was a rebuild led by Parker. I also believe that the rise of Onamah was down to Parker's perseverance and the early business we did just days after promotion was also down to him as was securing the fairly swift loaning out of Mawson who might not have been fully invested. Based purely on SPs track record so far I would like to think Khan Snr has set in stone the need for more dialogue between TK and Parker and that indeed Parker does have the final say. The business so far is the direct opposite of what it used to be. On the basis that there seems to be a much better relationship between all parties these days I would just say good for him.

FFC1987

Quote from: ScalleysDad on September 11, 2020, 10:58:15 AM
It will be interesting to see the stance of some people ten games in if, ( for example only with no stats or videos), Tete has dropped a few clangers. Will the forum be dissecting whose fault it is as a Parker or a TK purchase? I expect it will but I have read enough articles, interviews and punditry to believe that last time round in the Prem the first team squad splintered and the start of this season was a rebuild led by Parker. I also believe that the rise of Onamah was down to Parker's perseverance and the early business we did just days after promotion was also down to him as was securing the fairly swift loaning out of Mawson who might not have been fully invested. Based purely on SPs track record so far I would like to think Khan Snr has set in stone the need for more dialogue between TK and Parker and that indeed Parker does have the final say. The business so far is the direct opposite of what it used to be. On the basis that there seems to be a much better relationship between all parties these days I would just say good for him.

I see your first point slightly different this time round. Currently, the players we've signed, are all relatively low cost or non committed long term in the event we go down. So Tete, Robinson, Areola, sensible economic decisions. I appreciate people might point at Areola's wages but thats not long term so I'll leave it out here for now. This, against last time round when we had Seri, Anguissa and Mawson, all big expenditure signings, on long contracts, high wages albeit, evidently, handled correctly with hindsight because it was still sustainable within FFP when we went down. Unless we start signing 2-3 names on 20m+ fee's I think its not so much a like for like if that makes sense? The burden to do well, on relatively cheaper players is smaller and almost always results in less criticism.

As for hindsight criticism of signings if they don't work out, TK will still be criticised, Parker will need to as well. Its obvious at this point that both feel they have direct say on transfers. The % of influence, we'll never know but both seem to be clarifying it's more of a team effort, which, personally, I like.   

filham

I am left with the impression that TK and Parker are working well together and that that Stats v Coach situation we had a couple of years ago no longer exists. This is good news.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Jim© on September 11, 2020, 09:32:33 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 10, 2020, 11:09:18 PM

Exactly

But it's not "exactly" as you say. What it does mean, if taken literally, is that we will not see a player that Parker hasn't "OK'd". Isn't that a great thing?

Exactly !!

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

Early this morning I listened to the latest FOF Podcast which has a part dealing with Scott Parker's role in transfers.  The conversation got me thinking just how our head coach could grapple more control over recruitment from his boss regardless of what kind of control system is used, boxes, fists, player riots or whatever.   I imagined this was the dilemma Jokanovic faced on that murky day in the summer of 2016 when a certain Tony and a certain Craig announced they were taking over the whole recruitment show and Slavisa job was to coach, not scout, not recommend, not interfere in the technicalities of a system so complex he simply wouldn't understand how wonderful it was, just to get the players into a shape that would make the two American guys and their system look like the world beaters they thought they were.   

I would have imagined all kinds of thoughts ran through the Serbian's football brain but his professionalism and his confidence ruled that this was a challenge he could win handsomely and, at the same time, show it wasn't down to the two American guys and their crazy system after all.   We know how that panned out and despite all notions to the contrary the Serbian won by default when a certain Craig left the building.   At least it was now one against one, and amateurs with big egos tend not to do too well against polished professionals.  Fulham lost probably the best football producing manager we have seen at the Club for a long while as a result of a conflict that should never have started in the first place.

A certain Scott is also a professional and he'll know some of what transpired during Jokanovic's time, except for the crucial part when he was at Spurs and Jokanovic was winning his way to an eventual pyrrhic victory.   Scott will not wish to experience the Madness of Tony as did Jokanovic in 2018 because it wasn't just to do with recruitment errors.  It seemed so much more loaded with spite and bile than that.  I've listened to a certain Tony too many times for him to be able to hide his deceits. For the future much depends on how far a certain Tony's healthier 'temperament' has been fully restored, and how much understanding and empathy Parker can produce when mistakes occur as they will always do regardless of the individual concerned and their personal aspirations.   

From my perspective the relationship between a certain Tony and a certain Scott is something I'll be keeping an eye upon as the football season develops but I don't see an easy way forward unless one participant keeps himself well away from controversy.  No guesses which one it.  Just my tuppence worth.

FulhamStu

Quote from: toshes mate on September 12, 2020, 10:45:13 AM
Early this morning I listened to the latest FOF Podcast which has a part dealing with Scott Parker's role in transfers.  The conversation got me thinking just how our head coach could grapple more control over recruitment from his boss regardless of what kind of control system is used, boxes, fists, player riots or whatever.   I imagined this was the dilemma Jokanovic faced on that murky day in the summer of 2016 when a certain Tony and a certain Craig announced they were taking over the whole recruitment show and Slavisa job was to coach, not scout, not recommend, not interfere in the technicalities of a system so complex he simply wouldn't understand how wonderful it was, just to get the players into a shape that would make the two American guys and their system look like the world beaters they thought they were.   

I would have imagined all kinds of thoughts ran through the Serbian's football brain but his professionalism and his confidence ruled that this was a challenge he could win handsomely and, at the same time, show it wasn't down to the two American guys and their crazy system after all.   We know how that panned out and despite all notions to the contrary the Serbian won by default when a certain Craig left the building.   At least it was now one against one, and amateurs with big egos tend not to do too well against polished professionals.  Fulham lost probably the best football producing manager we have seen at the Club for a long while as a result of a conflict that should never have started in the first place.

A certain Scott is also a professional and he'll know some of what transpired during Jokanovic's time, except for the crucial part when he was at Spurs and Jokanovic was winning his way to an eventual pyrrhic victory.   Scott will not wish to experience the Madness of Tony as did Jokanovic in 2018 because it wasn't just to do with recruitment errors.  It seemed so much more loaded with spite and bile than that.  I've listened to a certain Tony too many times for him to be able to hide his deceits. For the future much depends on how far a certain Tony's healthier 'temperament' has been fully restored, and how much understanding and empathy Parker can produce when mistakes occur as they will always do regardless of the individual concerned and their personal aspirations.   

From my perspective the relationship between a certain Tony and a certain Scott is something I'll be keeping an eye upon as the football season develops but I don't see an easy way forward unless one participant keeps himself well away from controversy.  No guesses which one it.  Just my tuppence worth.

Well written as always my friend however it's your view and I think you are miles off beam in making everything sound like a battle.   This is not how I personally see the process working.  I expect it's far more a case of people presenting the facts or their observations, Parker expressing his needs and his views and Tony sort of chairing and chiming in with his own thoughts.   In other words, done in a way to understand pros and cons and making a considered final assessment.

Woolly Mammoth

Precisely, and until a certain owners son who is impersonating a DoF very badly is instructed to stop interfering and told to leave the building with a flee in his ear, and let the professionals do their job, unnecessary problems will never be far away.

Never forget your Roots.

FulhamStu

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 12, 2020, 04:52:34 PM

Precisely, and until a certain owners son who is impersonating a DoF very badly is instructed to stop interfering and told to leave the building with a flee in his ear, and let the professionals do their job, unnecessary problems will never be far away.

Yawn, what a surprise posting !  Still you are entitled to your opinion, which I think the whole world understands.

toshes mate

@FulhamStu

If it wasn't a 'battle' then why was Jokanovic told to a) keep his distance and b) have to act to preserve his ability to select a team?  I am sorry but I don't see how that can arise except out of unnecessary aggravation of intended roles and desceptively less than intelligent interplay between co-workers.  Smacks of a very belligerent boss who really doesn't have the sensitivity and composure necessary to be in charge of anything.  But, hey, perhaps you have to meet a fellow like Tony in the workplace to know just what a pain in the proverbial they really can be.