more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 12/09/20...

Started by WhiteJC, September 11, 2020, 03:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Arsenal Matchday Preview

Fulham v Arsenal | Craven Cottage | Saturday 12th September 2020 | 12.30pm | #FULARS

The opposition

It may be the start of the season but Arsenal can already consider themselves to be in good form, having picked up two trophies in August. They started the month with an impressive performance to come from behind to defeat Chelsea in the FA Cup Final, before seeing off Premier League champions Liverpool on penalties in the Community Shield a couple of weeks ago.
    The free signing of Willian from London rivals Chelsea was the Gunners' first big bit of business over the summer, and they've since bolstered their defence with the arrival of Lille's highly rated Brazilian centre-back Gabriel. Real Madrid midfielder Dani Ceballos has also had his loan spell extended for a second season.
    Some technical news coming out of the Emirates ahead of Saturday was a change in job title for Mikel Arteta. Originally appointed as Head Coach, he now occupies the role of First Team Manager.

Fulham team news

Scott Parker has confirmed that he has an injury-free squad, but will need to assess players' fitness ahead of Saturday.

Arsenal team news

A neck injury has ruled David Luiz out of contention, while Pablo Mari, Gabriel Martinelli, Emile Smith-Rowe, Calum Chambers, Sokratis and Shkodran Mutafi also miss out. One big decision for Arteta will be in goal, where he can either stick with Emiliano Martinez or recall Bernd Leno.

Coverage

#FULARS is the first match of the 2020/21 Premier League season, and fans can watch it live on BT Sport. Live commentary from Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid will also be available to fans who have a seasonal or monthly FFCtv subscription. (Please note that you must be logged into your OneFulham account to access this). Fans can listen via fulhamfc.com on mobile or laptop/desktop, while iPhone users can access via the FFCtv App.

Pre-match quotes
"Mikel's done a fantastic job in a short space of time with his team, so I think this year's a big year for Arsenal. The quality in their ranks is vast, and you've seen that in the last few months, and when they won the FA Cup as well."
Scott Parker

"The team is a good reflection of the coach. He's a very thorough person with a very committed team with a very clear way of playing. He's done a fantastic job at Fulham, the way they managed to get promoted last season was really good."
Mikel Arteta

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/september/Arsenal-Matchday-Preview/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Jean Michael Seri's Agent: "There's Been Contact With Inter, We're Working On It"

Jean Michael Seri's agent Likane Dominique Seri has confirmed that contact has been made with Inter with regard to a potential move to the Nerazzurri club.

A report emerged yesterday in the British media that Inter were considering a move to sign the Ivorian midfielder due to being unable to currently afford a move to sign Chelsea's N'Golo Kante, who is widely reported to be their top target for the midfield.

"There was first contact with Inter, we are working on it," he explained in an interview with Italian news outlet FCInter1908.it.

He then went on to reveal that his client would be very keen on getting a move to the Nerazzurri with the presence of Inter manager Antonio Conte a big reason behind this.

"He is very interested because he loves Italian football. Inter is the first choice for him. He is in love with the Nerazzurri, Antonio Conte and his style.

"Jean Michael would be happy to work with Conte because he thinks he is a top manager from whom he can learn a lot."

Seri was then asked about the speculation regarding Kante, to which he responded: "For sure Kante is an excellent footballer but apart from the Chelsea midfielder, the best deal Inter can now do in that role is for Jean Michael Seri. He is a very intelligent player."

In conclusion he was asked what kind of price Inter could pay to sign Seri, if there are any other clubs interested in signing him and whether a possible return to Galatasary could happen.

"Fulham are not against his departure because Jean-Michael would not want to stay for another season. The English club do not want to loan him out and only wants to sell him outright.

"The price is about €18 million but we know how the Coronavirus has affected the valuations of players. The price could also go down and if Inter's will is to bet on him the agreement is found.

"A return to Galatasaray? If there were the possibility, he wouldn't say no. Other clubs? I prefer not to express myself. I'm just saying that as long as the contracts are not signed, anything can happen."

https://sempreinter.com/2020/09/11/inter-linked-jean-michael-seris-agent-theres-been-contact-inter-is-the-first-choice-for-him/

WhiteJC

Walking for the Arsenal to Craven Cottage to raise awareness for Men's Mental Health

Tomorrow morning, bright and early I will be joining the above walk from The Emirates to Craven Cottage. Nine miles to help the brilliant 'Walk and Talk MMH' team help raise awareness of the too often ignored issues with men's mental health. As my chosen charity 'Future Men' highlighted to us the advice to men, particularly young men is too often just 'Man Up'.  This is singularly unhelpful advice at best and dangerously detrimental at worst.

Whatever your reasons for suffering with your mental health, in my case after the loss of my son, the worst thing to do is clam up and not share that you are unwell. Talking helps and not just with professionals, but with people who know you and care about you, or even in the case of this brilliant initiative, folk with whom you share the common bond of football and a team.

Be great to see a few Gooner mates in the morning and the reward, over and above heightening awareness of a key societal issue is a pint and to watch the match with friends in a sensible socially distanced environment before the rule prevent it on Monday.

See you there.

Dave

Below I have invited the founder of Walk and Talk MMH, Lee Adams, to talk about the project and his inspiration...

P

Walk and Talk MMH believe football is key to opening up the conversation regarding men's mental health, raise awareness and prevent male suicide, which is the biggest killer of men under 45 in the UK. 14 men take their own lives in the UK every single day. The group are determined these shocking statistics must change. They hold events across the UK, bringing opposition fans together, walking from one stadium to another on match days.

Their fundraising and events that help so many were impacted with lockdown and games played behind closed doors, but they are back! This will be the sixth season for Walk and Talk MMH, and the first premier league game of the season is the perfect opportunity to bring football fans together for such an important cause. The first game also sees the return of Fulham FC to the premier league, facing Arsenal on Saturday 12th September at 12.30pm.

A group of Arsenal and Fulham fans will meet for the walk and talk event at 7.45am at The Armoury, at The Emirates Stadium on Saturday morning. The group will set off at 8.00am for the 9 mile walk across London to Craven Cottage ahead of the game between the two clubs. There will be a rest stop at the halfway point and will end at The Chancellor's Pub in Hammersmith where fans can watch the game together.

Everyone is welcome to join for a mile, 2 miles or the whole distance.  Lockdown has been a chance to reset and unwind for some, and a challenging, worrying and lonely time for many others. Never has there been a more important time to get out and talk about your own mental health. The walk between the stadiums will give the opportunity to chat about anything weighing on your mind, or just talk football. The group provide peer to peer support for each other, based on personal experiences, and create an open and friendly environment for fans, no matter what your club colours are.

Lee Adams, Founder of Walk and Talk MMH, and Fulham fan, said:

"I went through a difficult period some time ago. I felt alone, isolated, with nowhere to turn, and was close to taking my own life. Five years ago, I started walking to Fulham FC away games, to raise awareness that 1 in 4 of us may suffer at some point in our lives, and I soon understood I wasn't alone. I became motivated to turn my experiences into a positive to help and support others who felt the same as I had. People started to join me, and now this has become a huge movement of fans coming together from many teams, to let other men know that it's okay to talk."

The first walk and talk with Arsenal took place on New Year's Day, 2019, from Fulham. The game that day ended in a 4-1 win for Arsenal, and both teams will be eager to start the season with a win on Saturday. Walks have also been held to/from Crystal Palace. The group have covered over 9,000 miles to date and have seen that something as simple as companionship can save lives. The group believes that football has the power to help men who find themselves in a position of loneliness and isolation.

We hope to see some new faces on Saturday. So, don't hesitate, join us! Get in touch with the team at [email protected] or see their website for further information. You can donate to the team fundraising page and follow their progress on Twitter. – @WalkAndTalkMMH

https://www.gunnerstown.com/arsenal/2020/09/11/walking-for-the-arsenal-to-craven-cottage-to-raise-awareness-for-mens-mental-health/

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Arsenal preview, team news, kick-off, channel
Watch match highlights shortly after full-time on Sky Sports' digital platforms and YouTube channel

Team news and stats ahead of Fulham vs Arsenal on the opening weekend of the Premier League on Saturday (kick-off 12.30pm).

Fulham manager Scott Parker has no fresh injury concerns as his side kick off their Premier League return by hosting Arsenal on Saturday.

However, new loan signing Alphonse Areola could have to wait to make his club debut having only joined from Paris Saint-Germain on Wednesday. Kenny Tete became the club's latest addition on Thursday, but is unlikely to be included in Parker's matchday squad immediately.

Arsenal will be without a number of central defensive options for the short trip to west London. David Luiz (neck) and Sokratis Papastathopoulos (calf) have joined Calum Chambers (knee), Pablo Mari (ankle) and Shkodran Mustafi (hamstring) in the treatment room.

William Saliba and Gabriel Magalhaes could make their debuts in defence, while fellow new signing Willian is in line to make his bow - although Emile Smith Rowe (shoulder) and Gabriel Martinelli (knee) are also out.

How to follow

Follow Fulham vs Arsenal in our dedicated live match blog. Highlights will also be published on the Sky Sports digital platforms and the Sky Sports Football YouTube channel shortly after the final whistle.

https://www.skysports.com/football/fulham-vs-arsenal/preview/428839

WhiteJC

Fulham and Aston Villa target moves for Josh King

Fulham have joined Aston Villa in the race to sign Bournemouth striker Josh King, according to a report in the Daily Telegraph.

Dean Smith is believed to have maintained his interest in the Norweigan, despite securing the arrival of Ollie Watkins from Brentford this week.

However, Smith now faces competition for the striker's signature as newly-promoted Fulham manager Scott Parker has also joined the race for the Bournemouth man.

The 28-year-old certainly looks to be on his way out of the Vitality Stadium.

Having been a part of the squad which was relegated from the Premier League, King now only has nine months reaming on his contract and the Cherries are hoping to cash in.

Despite being willing to let him go, it is likely Bournemouth would still demand a reasonable fee for one of their most valuable assets.

Having been widely linked with a return to Manchester United in January after they made an approach for him, King possesses plenty of quality, making him a desirable prospect for both Fulham and Villa.

The pacey frontman who has 48 caps for his country has also amassed 48 Premier League goals, including 16 in 2016/17, his best tally to date.

Having already landed Watkins, Villa boss Smith is looking to put the final pieces of his squad together, and King certainly seems to be part of that puzzle.

https://readastonvilla.com/2020/09/11/fulham-and-aston-villa-target-moves-for-josh-king/

WhiteJC

Squad numbers

The Club is now in a position to confirm our First Team squad numbers for the 2020/21 season.

Marcus Bettinelli's loan departure to Middlesbrough has freed up the number 1 shirt for Alphonse Areola – the same number he wore for Real Madrid last season.

The 2 shirt has been up for grabs ever since Ryan Fredericks' departure two years ago, so it made sense for our new right-back Kenny Tete to adopt the traditional number for his position.

In terms of our other arrivals, Mario Lemina has taken 18 after it was vacated by another central midfielder in Harry Arter, while left-back Antonee Robinson has taken 33 as 3, 13 and 23 were already taken.

Harrison Reed will continue wearing the 21 shirt which he so impressed in last season.

Notable changes to squad numbers come on the flanks. Floyd Ayité's move at the beginning of last season freed up the 11 jersey which Anthony Knockaert has gratefully adopted.

Ivan Cavaleiro was keen for his squad number to feature a 7 when he arrived last year, but without wanting to upset the apple cart, he took 19. Rui Fonte left soon after, though, and Cavaleiro has now snapped up his 17 shirt.

Squad numbers in full:

1. Alphonse Areola

2. Kenny Tete

3. Michael Hector

4. Denis Odoi

6. Kevin McDonald

7. Neeskens Kebano

8. Stefan Johansen

9. Aleksandar Mitrović

10. Tom Cairney

11. Anthony Knockaert

12. Marek Rodák

13. Tim Ream

14. Bobby De Cordova-Reid

17. Ivan Cavaleiro

18. Mario Lemina

20. Maxime Le Marchand

21. Harrison Reed

22. Cyrus Christie

23. Joe Bryan

24. Jean Michael Seri

25. Josh Onomah

29. André-Frank Zambo Anguissa

31. Fabri

33. Antonee Robinson

35. Tyrese Francois

40. George Wickens

47. Aboubakar Kamara

48. Fabio Carvalho

58. Sylvester Jasper

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/september/Squad-numbers/

WhiteJC

Fulham May Miss Deadline For Super Eagles Star Aina To Make Debut Against

English Premier League newcomers Fulham may miss the registration deadline for Super Eagles defender Ola Aina to make his competitive debut against Arsenal on Saturday afternoon, allnigeriasoccer.com reports.

As it is the norm, the deadline for incoming signings to be available for selection is 12 pm a day before the start of the season.

The Cottagers have not confirmed the loan signing of the Nigeria international as at the time of filing this report and this suggests the paperwork has not been completed.

And if that is the case, Aina would be in the stands for tomorrow's meeting between the two London rivals.

The Italian Football Federation has to issue an International Transfer Certificate to the English Football Association before the Nigerian can be registered by Fulham to feature in the Premier League.

It will be recalled that Aina's childhood pal, Alex Iwobi was ineligible to be fielded by Everton against Crystal Palace on the opening day of the 2019-2020 campaign because the winger's transfer to the Toffees from Arsenal did not go through until after the deadline.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=37351

WhiteJC

The three dangermen who can help Arsenal beat Fulham on the opening day

Arsenal will be looking to get their Premier League season off to the perfect start with a win over newly-promoted Fulham, but who could be the dangermen for Mikel Arteta's side? Dan Mountney picks three players who could make the difference at Craven Cottage.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
Arsenal's captain looks set to sign a new deal and end speculation over his future, and he will be key if the Gunners are to start the season with a win.

Aubameyang hit 29 goals in all competitions last season and he will want to find the net at Craven Cottage on Saturday as he looks to better his tally from 2019/20.

The Gabon international will continue to operate off the left-hand side, but Mikel Arteta will be keen to see Aubameyang get into central areas where he is most dangerous.

Willian
Signed on a free from Chelsea this summer, the experienced Brazilian adds a different attacking option to Arteta's squad.

Willian will be keen to impress on his debut but faces competition for a starting place from the likes of Nicolas Pepe, Bukayo Saka and Reiss Nelson.

The 32-year-old should help the Gunners create chances at Craven Cottage and go some way to rectifying the lack of creative spark they suffered from last season.

Alexandre Lacazette
The Frenchman faces serious competition from Eddie Nketiah to lead the line for Arsenal this season, and he will want to impress on the opening day to stake his claim.

Lacazette scored twice at Craven Cottage two seasons ago and a similar display could guide the Gunners to an opening day win.

The striker will be keen to put a poor 2019/20 season behind him and make the perfect start to the new campaign against Fulham.

https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/5385

WhiteJC

Fulham v Arsenal: match preview

Two of the better Premier League midfielders from the past 15 years do battle from the dugout, with Scott Parker and Mikel Arteta both hoping new additions settle quickly. Parker signed France goalkeeper Alphonse Areola and the Netherlands right-back Kenny Tete this week and faces a decision on how soon to pitch them in for Fulham. Arteta, usually overstocked with centre-backs, finds himself down to three. William Saliba should make his debut, but Gabriel Magalhães has only recently begun to train with his Arsenal teammates. Further forward, Willian is available to add much-needed experience. Nick Ames

Saturday 12.30pm BT Sport 1

Venue Craven Cottage

Last season n/a

Referee Chris Kavanagh

Odds H 5-1 A 10-17 D 7-2
FULHAM

Subs from Rodak, Fabri, Tete, Christie, Robinson, Le Marchand, McDonald, Kebano, Johansen, Lemina, Anguissa, Cavaleiro, Seri, Kamara

Doubtful None

Injured None

Suspended None

Discipline Y78 R5 (last season)

Top scorer Mitrovic 26 (last season)
ARSENAL

Subs from Leno, Macey, Gabriel, Soares, Kolasinac, Torreira, Elneny, Guendouzi, Willock, Nelson, Saka, Özil, Willian, Nketiah

Doubtful None

Injured Papastathopoulos (thigh), Smith Rowe (shoulder, both 19 Sep), David Luiz (neck), Marí (ankle), Mustafi (thigh, all Oct), Chambers (knee, Dec), Martinelli (knee, Jan)

Suspended None

Discipline Y85 R5 (last season)

Top scorer Aubameyang 22 (last season)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/11/fulham-v-arsenal-match-preview

WhiteJC

My Inspiration
Sir Bobby

Robbie Elliott
Player, Newcastle, 1991-1997; 2001-2006

My contract was expiring at Bolton.
Talks over extending it were delayed because we were in the Division One playoffs, but after the final my agent told me one of the teams that had been watching me was Newcastle. He knew that if he had told me before the playoffs, my head would have been spinning.

I then had a phone call with Sir Bobby Robson, drove up to meet the chairman Freddy Shepherd, and within 10 minutes had agreed my return to St James' Park.

For me, there was nothing better than hearing from Sir Bobby that he'd like to take me back to the club I considered home. The call was nothing too serious or tactical. It was just Sir Bobby being Sir Bobby – getting to know you.

It was a done deal as soon as I picked up the phone. I certainly hadn't expected to play for a guy who had managed the likes of Barcelona and England.

I was very nervous, but he put me at ease straight away – the way he spoke to you was so relaxing. You felt like you already knew him, which is a crazy thing to say when you don't and it's your first conversation.

It was a skill that he could make people feel like that – even over a phone call, which is a lot harder than face-to-face. "I'm excited to get you in for next season" – he built me up in that conversation, not that I needed it when he was the one calling.

The first time I met him was the first day of pre-season. For him it was just another day, but there was a great atmosphere. We'd signed a couple of players and there was this feeling that things were turning for Newcastle.

"He would wear his heart on his sleeve – the hurt, or the pride – and it made you want to go out and perform for him"

When he's in the room, there's an aura about him. Not the kind you saw with David Ginola, who everyone turned to look at when he walked in; there was just something about Sir Bobby's personality that put everyone at ease.

That dressing room had in it people as young as Jermaine Jenas, senior players like Alan Shearer, and different nationalities. I've been in a lot of them, and there's not many where the players all respect and like the manager – particularly those who aren't playing – but everyone liked him.

I went through a season not playing at Newcastle, but I still totally respected him because he treated me like a human. He'd speak to me, give me an answer if I asked a question, and be honest.

Other managers can't get enough of you when you're in the team, but if you're not playing or you're injured, it feels like you don't exist. But that was never the case with Sir Bobby.

'Enthusiasm' is the word that really strikes home. He was always in his tracksuit on the training field, joining in, and very hands-on.

He always brought energy, and always wanted energy and the highest standards in everything, but he could also be funny. It didn't involve him telling jokes; it was a subtle humour. You just found him funny.

"Even behind the scenes, Sir Bobby was pulling the strings"

His football knowledge was immense and, despite the age difference, he could connect with 18 and 34-year-olds on any level. That is hard to do.

You'd all see him in front of the camera, when he'd wear his heart on his sleeve – the hurt at a defeat, and the pride at good performances – and you'd want to go out and perform for him.

I remember speaking to a member of his staff once they had both retired. At the time they were at Newcastle together, he hadn't understood all of Sir Bobby's methods, but after they both left Bobby actually explained them to him. Of course, it made complete sense.

Sir Bobby had wanted to separate himself from his staff, because he wanted that respect there, too – even behind the scenes, he was pulling all of the strings.

The crazy thing is, after I'd retired and read his book, I learned what he was going through at Newcastle with his cancer – at the time, you would not have known for one minute. There was never any complaining, and nothing slowing him down.

The mentality and strength to go through what he did and continue to be at the top of his game was just incredible. He went through it on numerous occasions, and he fought it off. That was him – always looking forwards and positive, never backwards.

"When we got back into the Champions League, the town had that buzz again. If you're from that area, you can feel it"

We always used to practise throw-ins, because it was one of his biggest bugbears – how hard players used to work to win the ball back and then just throw it back to the opposition. We'd be top or second in the Premier League, and practising throw-ins – that was his level of detail.

My first season back, Craig Bellamy had also come in. With him and Kieron Dyer, we had a lot of pace going forwards; together with the old heads of Gary Speed and Shearer, and with Nobby Solano (below) at the top of his game, we had a hell of a season. Once you get momentum at somewhere like Newcastle, that ball starts rolling and it becomes a great ride – it was a really good season back in the northeast.

To try and get Newcastle back to anywhere near the level we were reaching with Kevin Keegan was incredible – we got back into the Champions League, and the town just had that buzz about it again. If you're from that area, you can feel it – to be part of that again was something really special.

Olivier Bernard had also come in, and Sir Bobby really liked him. That French connection with Laurent Robert went a long way, and he started to play ahead of me.

Don't get me wrong – I was pissed off, every day. But Sir Bobby would do small things like have a chat in the corridor, which is one of the things I've even taken into my life beyond football. Treating people with a smile and a thank you, and asking how they are, goes a long way.

"He deserved so much more than his departure from Newcastle. When he left, his illness really kicked in"

That's partly what makes the timing of his departure from Newcastle, four matches into the 2004/05 season, so bizarre. It sounds bad but, as hard as it was, you could see the writing on the wall.

But there's ways to do it, and Sir Bobby deserved so much more. I wish it was dealt with differently, maybe at the end of the season, properly, and with a plan in place.

They say that you should keep the mind active, doing what you're doing, and have a passion. When he left the club, it became apparent that that was when the illness really kicked in.

I was fortunate enough to meet him again a couple of weeks before the Sir Bobby Robson Trophy match, when he made his last public appearance, in a wheelchair at St James' Park, in July 2009. He obviously looked very poorly.

Someone in my family went through the same, and they set themselves a target of seeing their grandchild born – once they did, they went peacefully. With Sir Bobby, I think it was that game – he wanted to see the game through, see the players again, and experience going out at St James' Park one final time.

"A couple didn't speak a word of English but they recognised Sir Bobby. He's still loved"

It was that, and the fact I've had a lot of cancer in my family, that made me want to raise money for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation. I'd never had the chance to pay him back for taking me back to Newcastle, and for giving me and my family that opportunity.

Me and Phil Gray, a friend and triathlete, cycled 3,500 miles in 21 days. We started in Porto, went to Lisbon, then across Europe to Barcelona and Eindhoven before returning to the UK and taking in Fulham, Wembley, Ipswich and Newcastle – all his former teams.

We started it in October, so you start in the dark and finish in the dark, and it turned out we did the equivalent of sea-level to Mount Everest five times, in altitude. You can't tell on maps how bad the roads are, so we came across huge obstacles, and we slept in a camper van. It was brutal.

I'm so happy I did it, but it's not something I'd ever repeat, not least because there were some long days there. It sounds corny, but I thought of my father, my father-in-law, Sir Bobby – the people you're raising money for to try and make a difference. So there was never a day when I thought I needed to stop.

The way people spoke from the heart along the way, too. We were maybe three hours from Barcelona one day, and we were flagged over by an ageing couple who didn't speak a word of English but wanted to donate because they saw Sir Bobby's picture on the van.

Then, at the end, we held a celebration ball where ex-players came to meet me. The support the whole way through was just fantastic.

There's not many managers who leave clubs and are still loved – and I mean loved – like he is. In every city we went to, it really was mind-blowing.

But that's the power of Sir Bobby.

Robbie Elliott

WhiteJC

Up next: Arsenal (h)

Along comes another Premier League season. In these very strange times, one thing that feels familiar now are those nerves mixed with heady anticipation. Fulham are back in the top flight – after another memorable Wembley success – and everyone is desperate to ensure that it isn't as forgettable or fleeting as our last brief visit. To that end, Scott Parker has called on the club to be prudent in the transfer market and seems to want to shape his side around the core of the squad that won promotion from the Championship to build togetherness and continuity.

The aims are laudable and, at least on paper, Fulham should stand a better chance of survival than they did when adopting Slavisa Jokanovic's far more adventurous approach. Jokanovic's football is more to my own taste and is lovely to watch, but the shortcomings at the highest level saw his Fulham side hammering the nails into their own coffin. There are still plenty of nagging doubts. The pundits have written us off already – that isn't as much of a problem as it should help foster something of an 'us against the world mentality' – but the prospect of starting the season without central defensive reinforcements fills me with dread.

We've been over this regularly in recent weeks as we waited in vain for a credible link to a centre back. Michael Hector was fantastic following his introduction to the first team in January, but aged 27, he has yet to play a Premier League game. The step up is still considerable – and it remains to be seen whether he will be as assured in the top flight as he was when he slotted into Parker's back four. His likely partner, Tim Ream, has been a wonderful servant to Fulham but he was exposed at the highest level, like most of his team-mates, two years ago. It seems illogical to have made moves in the transfer market without addressing this pivotal position – but we can only hope that Tony Khan and company are concluding a deal for a commanding centre back as I write.

Parker has plenty of puzzlers to ponder as he considers his team selection. Does Alphonese Areola go straight in between the sticks having signed earlier this week? Such a decision would be exceptionally harsh on Marek Rodak, who did so much to get Fulham back to the Premier League and has been so impressive since claiming the first-team shirt off Marcus Bettinelli. But Areola has not come on loan from Paris Saint-Germain, with his hefty wages, to sit on the sidelines. The composition of the defence, notwithstanding the central defensive dilemma discussed above, is also up for further debate. Kenny Tete, who looks at steal even at £3m, should start at right back. But is it Wembley hero Joe Bryan, whose defensive frailties were regularly exploited by Championship sides, or Antonee Robinson, the raw yet rapid American international at left back?

You can see that Parker's strategy for survival is based around a powerful and disciplined midfield that makes Fulham hard to play through. Harrison Reed offered the back four proper protection last year and he will likely anchor the midfield. Has Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa been reintegrated into the Fulham squad successfully enough already to have another crack at the Premier League after his barnstorming season in Spain? Does Mario Lemina, something of an enigma at Southampton, come straight into the side? How to solve the conundrum of fitting both Josh Onomah, arguably Fulham's most improved performer in the second half of last season, and Tom Cairney, the club captain who has yet to prove himself at the highest level, into the same side?

There are options in the front three as well, if you believe that Parker's preferred system will remain unchanged. Both Anthony Knockaert and Ivan Cavaleiro had rather underwhelming first campaigns at Craven Cottage, but Fulham saw enough in each of them to want to make those deals permanent. Neeskens Kebano's cameos were worth their weight in gold at the end of the last campaign, but he is probably likely to be an impact substitute at this level. And what of Aboubkar Kamara? Probably the most changed figure at Fulham since Parker oversaw his rehabilitation into the side, you'd think that the Frenchman's mix of pace and unpredictability would add something different to an attack that has been a little predictable in the past. Getting Aleksandar Mitrovic, one of the few Fulham players with genuine Premier League pedigree, more service and support will be vital. He scored eleven goals in a horrendous team two seasons ago – imagine what he could do were the Whites more competitive?

There couldn't have been many sides who would provide a sterner examination of Parker's blueprint for survival than Arsenal. The Gunners might be a side in transition, but Mikel Arteta is doing a good job of making them both more streetwise and successful. There are question marks about their own defence, especially with injuries robbing Arteta of a number of experienced options this weekend, but Arsenal look formidable going forward. They've improved since our last meetings – and that's a frightening prospect when you consider the second half annihilation at the Cottage remains seared on my brain.

Fulham might be able to exploit early vulnerability if, as expected, Arteta goes with a back three and hands an Arsenal debut to the talented wonderkid William Saliba, who spent last season on loan with Saint-Étienne. They may be a start for Rob Holding, with Calum Chambers – one of the few players to come out of Fulham's dreadful 2018-2019 campaign with any credit – only just returning to training. If Arsenal are uncertain at one end of the pitch, the prospect of Aubameyang, Willian and Eddie Nketiah, who warmed up with a hat-trick for England's under-21s in the week, wreaking havoc in the final third isn't doing much for my own pre-match nerves.

MY FULHAM XI (4-3-3): Rodak; Tete, Bryan, Hector, Ream; Reed, Anguissa, Cairney; Kamara, Knockaert, Mitrovic. Subs: Areola, Odoi, Robinson, Lemina, Onomah, Cavaleiro, Kebano, Decordova-Reid.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/09/up-next-arsenal-h/

WhiteJC

Aina joins Fulham on loan

Fulham have tonight confirmed the signing of Nigerian international full back Ola Aina on a season-long loan from Torino.

The 23 year-old defender, who came through Chelsea's youth academy before moving to Italy, has been a longstanding Fulham target and the newly-promoted side have an agreed a loan deal with an option to make the switch permanent next summer. Aina told FulhamFCTV:

I feel very excited and privileged to be able to play for a club like this. It feels amazing to be back closer to my family, back in the capital where I was born and raised. There's a great bunch of lads here. I'm really good friends with Big Hec and Josh Onomah. I feel very comfortable on either foot, I can fill in wherever needs be. I'd say I'm pretty quick and I like to attack, but I also like to help the team and do the dirty work as much as I can.

Aina, who can also play at left back, in central defence or in either wide midfield position, was part of Chelsea's all-conquering under 18 and under 23 sides and made six first-team appearances as the Blues won the 2016/2017 league title. He spent a season on loan with Hull City, before moving to Torino, also initially on loan. He made 30 league appearances as Torino qualified for the Europa League and the Italian side opted to sign him permanently. Aina made 37 league appearances last term as Torino battled successfully against the drop.

Having represented England at youth level, Aina was offered the opportunity to play for Nigeria, the birthplace of his parents, and has now made fourteen senior international appearances. He missed on the 2018 World Cup squad narrowly, but was part of the Nigeria side that finished third at Africa Cup of Nations last year.

Fulham's vice chairman and director of football operations, Tony Khan said:

I'm pleased to announce the arrival of Ola Aina to Fulham on loan from Torino. Ola is an exciting young player who can further strengthen our squad this season in the Premier League. In our loan agreement, we've secured an option for a permanent transfer for Ola to potentially remain at Fulham if this season proves to be a good fit for us, which is a great situation for the club given our belief in Ola's talent and in his potential.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/09/aina-joins-fulham-on-loan/

WhiteJC

Ola Aina Joins On Loan

The Club is delighted to confirm the signing of Ola Aina on a season-long loan from Torino.

Fulham also holds an option to make the deal to sign the 23-year-old permanent.

After finalising his move, Aina told FFCtv: "I feel very excited and privileged to be able to play for a Club like this.

"It feels amazing to be back closer to my family, back in the capital where I was born and raised.

"There's a great bunch of lads here. I'm really good friends with Big Hec and Josh Onomah.

"I feel very comfortable on either foot, I can fill in wherever needs be. I'd say I'm pretty quick and I like to attack, but I also like to help the team and do the dirty work as much as I can."

Tony Khan added: "I'm pleased to announce the arrival of Ola Aina to Fulham on loan from Torino. Ola is an exciting young player who can further strengthen our squad this season in the Premier League.

"In our loan agreement, we've secured an option for a permanent transfer for Ola to potentially remain at Fulham if this season proves to be a good fit for us, which is a great situation for the Club given our belief in Ola's talent and in his potential. Come on Fulham!"

Born in London but now a full Nigeria international, Aina has primarily operated at right-back throughout his career, but his versatility means he can also fill in capably across the defence or further forward.

Aina joined Chelsea at a young age and successfully rose through the age groups, winning two FA Youth Cups – including the 2014 Final against Fulham – and two UEFA Youth League titles.

2016/17 was his breakthrough season as he made six appearances for the first team, including three outings in the Premier League en route to the Blues winning the title.

Aina furthered his development in the Championship the following season, playing in 44 of Hull City's 46 matches.

Another loan spell followed in 2018/19, this time in Italy with Torino. Aina made 30 Serie A appearances in what was a fine season for Il Toro, whose seventh place finish secured a Europa League qualifying spot.

Torino held an option to make the transfer permanent, and Aina's form convinced them to do just that last summer.

He was a regular again last season, playing 37 times in all competitions.

A Southwark boy, Aina represented England up to Under-21 level, but switched his allegiance to Nigeria – his parents' nation – in 2017.

He has now won 14 caps for the Super Eagles, and was part of the team that finished third at last year's Africa Cup of Nations.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/september/Ola-Aina-Joins-On-Loan/

WhiteJC

Fulham complete loan signing of Ola Aina from Torino

New arrival: Ola Aina ( Getty Images )

Fulham have completed the loan signing of Ola Aina from the Torino for the 2020-21 season.

The Cottagers will have an option to buy the wing-back at the end of the campaign.

Aina rose through the ranks at Chelsea before moving to Italy, and the 23-year-old is delighted to back in London.

"I feel very excited and privileged to be able to play for a club like this," Aina told Fulham's in-house TV channel.

"It feels amazing to be back closer to my family, back in the capital where I was born and raised.

"There's a great bunch of lads here. I'm really good friends with Big Hec and Josh Onomah.

"I feel very comfortable on either foot, I can fill in wherever needs be. I'd say I'm pretty quick and I like to attack, but I also like to help the team and do the dirty work as much as I can."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-transfer-ola-aina-loan-a4545831.html

WhiteJC

Fulham complete signing of ex-Chelsea defender Aina

Fulham have completed a deal to bring former Chelsea defender Ola Aina back to west London from Torino.

The Whites have signed Aina on a season-long loan with a view to a permanent move.

Aina, 23, signed for the Italian club from Chelsea on a permanent deal last year after impressing during a season on loan.

A product of Chelsea's academy, London-born Nigeria international Aina made six first-team appearances for the Blues – four of them as a substitute. He also had a season on loan at Hull City.

Aina told FFCtv: "I feel very excited and privileged to be able to play for a club like this.

"It feels amazing to be back closer to my family, back in the capital where I was born and raised."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/chelsea/fulham-ola-aina-deal-confirmed-0920

WhiteJC

Done Deal : Fulham Announce Signing Of Chelsea Product Ola Aina

Through their official website, English Premier League new boys Fulham have announced the signing of former Chelsea defender Ola Aina.

The Nigeria international will be spending the whole of the 2020-2021 season on loan at the Cottagers, including the option to make the transfer permanent.

London-born Aina joined Torino on an initial loan deal in the summer of 2018, before he was acquired on a permanent basis the following season.

In his first words as a Fulham player, Aina stated : "I feel very excited and privileged to be able to play for a Club like this.

Aina, who was a key member of the Super Eagles squad that won bronze at last year's Africa Cup of Nations, has been assigned the number 34 jersey by Fulham for the 2020-2021 season.

Igho Kingsley

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=37354

WhiteJC

Ola Aina: Fulham confirm loan signing of Torino full-back
Aina: "It feels amazing to be back closer to my family, back in the capital where I was born and raised"

Fulham have confirmed the signing of Ola Aina on a season-long loan from Torino.

Sky Sport News reported earlier this week a deal was close, while Fulham have the option to make Aina's loan at Craven Cottage permanent for around £11m.

Former England youth international Aina is a graduate of Chelsea's academy and spent over a decade at the club.

He spent the 2017-18 campaign away on loan at Hull before making a season-long loan move to Italian club Torino the following year.

The Serie A side took up the option to make Aina's move from Chelsea permanent in June 2019. The 23-year-old made 37 appearances for Torino last season.

"I feel very excited and privileged to be able to play for a club like this," Aina told Fulham's website. "It feels amazing to be back closer to my family, back in the capital where I was born and raised.

"There's a great bunch of lads here. I'm really good friends with Big Hec (Michael Hector) and Josh Onomah.

Fulham director of football Tony Khan added: "I'm pleased to announce the arrival of Ola Aina to Fulham on loan from Torino. Ola is an exciting young player who can further strengthen our squad this season in the Premier League.

"In our loan agreement, we've secured an option for a permanent transfer for Ola to potentially remain at Fulham if this season proves to be a good fit for us, which is a great situation for the club given our belief in Ola's talent and in his potential. Come on Fulham!"

Fulham kick off their Premier League return against Arsenal on Saturday following promotion via the Sky Bet Championship play-offs last term.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/12069345/ola-aina-fulham-confirm-loan-signing-of-torino-full-back

WhiteJC

Fulham secure another transfer coup by signing former Chelsea youngster

Fulham have completed the signing of former Chelsea wing-back Ola Aina on a loan deal from Torino.

There will be the option for a permanent transfer at the end of the season, in the region of £11m.

It marks a return to London for Aina, who was born in the English capital but represents Nigeria at international level.

The full-back came through Chelsea's academy before a series of loan spells away from Stamford Bridge culminated with a permanent exit last summer.

Aina managed 37 appearances in his second season at Torino, where he had spent the previous campaign on loan from Chelsea.

Now, though, he has returned to London, reinforcing the ranks of newly promoted Fulham.

The Cottagers have also completed deals to sign PSG goalkeeper Alphonse Areola and Lyon full-back Kenny Tete in recent days.
Aina 'privileged' to join Fulham

Aina has revealed his excitement at being able to move back to his hometown.

"I feel very excited and privileged to be able to play for a club like this," he told FFCTV.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/fulham-sign-former-chelsea-youngster-ola-aina

WhiteJC

Ola Aina moves to Fulham, official: the figures of the deal

Torino announced the loan deal of Ola Aina to Fulham on their official site, he will move to the Premier League after two seasons in Serie A. The ex-Chelsea player returns after a season in Serie A where he totaled 37 appearances and three assists.

Aina's transfer to Fulham is a loan with option to buy: €2.5m initially and €12.5m if Fulham decides to redeem his rights. A 10% stake in a future sale was also inserted into the deal.

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/ola-aina-moves-to-fulham-official-the-figures-of-the-deal

WhiteJC

'Quality' Lemina backed to put bad spell at Southampton behind him

Mario Lemina was a record £18m signing for Southampton in 2017.

An acquisition at the time described as a "significant statement" when the Saints persuaded him to join from Juventus.

Fast forward to May last year, and he had made just 49 appearances for the St Mary's club over two campaigns.

A natural defensive midfielder, Lemina had all the gifts to shine in England's top flight.

But if he'd have been an unqualified success with Southampton, they would not have farmed the 27-year-old on loan to Galatasaray last season.

Fulham have handed the Gabon international a second bite of the cherry on a season-long loan deal.

Scott Parker has a player in his squad who has a good blend of technique and strength, and at 6ft, uses his height and frame to shield and keep possession of the ball, before laying it off to team-mates.

But the Fulham manager laid bare the one thing missing from Lemina's armoury at Southampton: consistency.

"When he first went in at Southampton he was fantastic; an unbelievable player," Parker said.

"But I think Mario would be the first to say he lost his way a little bit.

"I understand what we have in Mario; a quality player who can have a real impact on what we do this year.

"Saying that, he understands what's needed to reach the pinnacle of your ability is to be consistent, and a lot of ingredients need to fall into place for that to happen.

"He needs to understand how he fits into the environment, and if he does, we have some player on our hands".

Lemina teams up with fellow former Southampton midfielder Harrison Reed, who made his transfer permanent after a stellar role in Fulham's successful return to the Premier League while on loan last season.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/quality-lemina-backed-to-put-bad-spell-at-southampton-behind-him