more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 12/09/20...

Started by WhiteJC, September 11, 2020, 03:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Nigeria: Ola Aina Joins Fulham On a Season Loan

Fulham yesterday confirmed the signing of Nigerian international full back Ola Aina on a season-long loan from Torino.

The 23 year-old defender, who came through Chelsea's youth academy before moving to Italy, has been a longstanding Fulham target and the newly-promoted side have an agreed a loan deal with an option to make the switch permanent next summer. Aina told FulhamFCTV:

I feel very excited and privileged to be able to play for a club like this. It feels amazing to be back closer to my family, back in the capital where I was born and raised.

There's a great bunch of lads here. I'm really good friends with Big Hec and Josh Onomah.

I feel very comfortable on either foot, I can fill in wherever needs be. I'd say I'm pretty quick and I like to attack, but I also like to help the team and do the dirty work as much as I can.

Aina, who can also play at left back, in central defence or in either wide midfield position, was part of Chelsea's all-conquering under 18 and under 23 sides and made six first-team appearances as the Blues won the 2016/2017 league title. He spent a season on loan with Hull City, before moving to Torino, also initially on loan. He made 30 league appearances as Torino qualified for the Europa League and the Italian side opted to sign him permanently. Aina made 37 league appearances last term as Torino battled successfully against the drop.

Having represented England at youth level, Aina was offered the opportunity to play for Nigeria, the birthplace of his parents, and has now made fourteen senior international appearances. He missed on the 2018 World Cup squad narrowly, but was part of the Nigeria side that finished third at Africa Cup of Nations last year.

Fulham's vice chairman and director of football operations, Tony Khan said:

I'm pleased to announce the arrival of Ola Aina to Fulham on loan from Torino. Ola is an exciting young player who can further strengthen our squad this season in the Premier League. In our loan agreement, we've secured an option for a permanent transfer for Ola to potentially remain at Fulham if this season proves to be a good fit for us, which is a great situation for the club given our belief in Ola's talent and in his potential.

https://allafrica.com/stories/202009120186.html

WhiteJC

Key Fulham duo 'a million percent' have point to prove in Premier League, says Parker

Key Fulham players Alexander Mitrovic and Tom Cairney were down and out last time they were in the Premier League.

The Whites were relegated with five games to go having won just seven times, while lugging the millstone of a minus 47 goal difference back to the Championship.

In contrast to last season's scoring spree in the second tier, Mitrovic scored just 11 times in 37 Premier League appearances, and midfielder Cairney, a mere one, in 24 starts.

Fulham fans complained the switch in divisions particularly affected captain Cairney, who looked nothing like the Championship play-off winner from the season before.

Their manager now hopes his captain and last season's Championship golden boot winner will feed off the bitter disappointment from the last top-flight campaign.

"Do I think they can feed off the fact they have something to prove? A million percent," said Parker.

"Last time we were in this position it was a tough year and we got relegated; they would be sitting in that position and thinking just that.

"Every single one of us has something to prove. They know that.

"You need to set a bar, and it says something about you. Whether you've been in that position before or whether you're new to the club, you have to see that."

Several Fulham survivors from the 2018-19 debacle are likely to feature against Arsenal.

When they were demolished 5-1 at home by the Gunners in October 2018 – the last time the two met at the Cottage – it was Fulham's joint-lowest points haul after the first eight Premier League games in a season.

But Parker expects his troops to shoulder that experience and man up for the tough task.

"You need to prove yourself; lots of eyes looking at you saying you're not good enough. You need to prove you are," he added.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/key-fulham-a-million-percent-have-point-to-prove-in-premier-league-says-parker

WhiteJC

Arsenal must silence potential Mitrovic/Knockheart partnership today

Iiiiiiiiiiit's MATCHDAY!

Yep, I'm excited, despite all of my cynicism about the Project Restart, despite the fact we still don't quite have the balance right in midfield (as Mikel alluded to in his press conference yesterday), as well as the fact that we have a mountain of injuries already. I'm still so excited to see Arsenal rock up at Craven Cottage today to pit their wits against newly promoted Fulham.

Of course there will be heartache, it might even start today, but the great thing about the start of the season is that everybody starts on zero points and every possible eventuality remains ahead of you for the forthcoming season. And then when you get Arsenal dropping videos like the 'It's a family thing' one that was released for the new third kit, it only whips up more excitement in my mind, so I'm at fever pitch as I type out these words to you this morning. Butterflies in the stomach and everything.

We just don't know what we're going to get as well. We've seen Arsenal step it up against the big boys and Arteta having a plan for taking on the best teams in the league, but what about those expected to be lower down the league? That's where we really struggled last season and amassed countless draws in which we just couldn't finish teams off, or couldn't hold a lead, against teams where we really should have. I'm thinking Brighton away, Watford away, Crystal Palace at home and away. It was so frustrating and that is the challenge that Arteta has to turn this Arsenal team from the mid table mediocrity of last season in eighth, to genuine challengers for the top four.

I think he has the capability to do it. It is whether he can squeeze any more juice from some of these very flawed players.

He hasn't exactly been dealt the easiest of cards to start the season with though, has he? I mean for today's game Fulham have zero injuries, whereas we have seven, which is the highest in the league of any team. It does feel like we've spent the best part of ten year's in the Premier League Injury table top three. It would be nice if Mikel Arteta could at least have one period of time in which he has a full deck of playing cards to play with. What also happens with Arsenal is they are usually all in one position and so it seems for today too. We have Mustafi, Mari, Luiz, Chambers and Sokratis all out injured. That's FIVE first team players in one position all out. It's crazy. Mikel has admitted that we are imbalanced as a squad in certain positions but with the injuries we get it does feel like we should be able to stockpile about eight players for every position!

What I think it means for today is interesting though, because we've been playing three at the back since the end of last season and I think the players have got into the swing of that formation, but who is deployed there will be fascinating. I think certainly Holding will start, then I think Tierney's position deputing at left-centre half will also happen. But on that right hand side it will have to be one of the new guys. Saliba or Gabriel though? If I had to guess I'd say Saliba as he's been training with the team longer and Gabriel is a left-footed centre half, which we know Mikel likes to deploy on that left side of the three. If that happens though, who plays on the left?

The options are Saka, Maitland-Niles or Kolasinac. Personally I would play Saka as I think it will give us a bit more in terms of trickery in the final third, but Maitland-Niles has shown an engine and physicality that we know Mikel likes. Saka's final ball distribution is also far superior. But perhaps Mikel is trying to convince Ainsley he'll have a big role to play this season?

On the right I think it'll be Bellerin and I just hope he has the opportunity to continue the good form we saw from the big games at Wembley.

In goal it'll be Leno as Martinez is left out and whilst I think that's a real shame that he's on his way, I have no problems with Leno, unless he brain farts today and then everyone will be super panicky about letting the Argentine go.

In midfield I think Xhaka and Ceballos has to be pretty much nailed on, but where we have a dearth of options in defence, the same can certainly not be said in attack, as Arteta has a wealth of players to choose from. If we play three at the back then we're looking at three in the pointy end of the pitch and in those positions Arteta has to choose from Aubameyang, Lacazette, Nelson, Willian, Pepe, as well as Nketiah. I suspect we'll see a familiar look to the team. I'm not sure if Willian makes the starting XI but he's the only one I'd have a question mark over. Personally I'd love to see him on the left, Aubameyang through the centre and Pepe on the right, but I think it'll start with Auba on the left, Laca through the middle and Pepe on the right, like the Cup Final. That 'feels' to me like what Arteta will do in the first game, but there will be plenty of options on the bench for him.

Certainly if Guendouzi and Ozil are both now available for selection. In addition to those two, there's a Willock who is a year older, Torreira, Kolasinac and Cedric who haven't really been mentioned by me so far. So we have an experienced bench. The question is who Arteta even picks for that and I do wonder if there might be a surprise in store. Maybe if Ozil has been training like a 'beast' then he might get to the bench? You never know.

As for Fulham, who knows what we'll get. They'll have the confidence of a team full of spunk having just been promoted and no doubt ex-Tottenham man Scott 'Scotty' Parker will be trying his best Churchillian impression. I just hope he goes full Gilet Sherwood today because we could do without an inspired performance from them given our run in for the start of this season. We need maximum points from today and West Ham next weekend because it starts to get a bit scary after that.

In the Championship Fulham were a possession-based side with the ball firmly on the deck. Against lesser teams not in the Premier League if you've got better quality then that works and got them up. But against Premier League teams that won't cut it I don't think. You wouldn't expect Fulham to have much of the ball today so how does their counter attacking options stack up? We know they have Mitrovic and he's the guy where most of their goals come from, but he's not rapid and if we can isolate him then it may be beneficial for us. They have signed KNockheart who has a bit of pace and trickery about him and will look to new signing Lemina to sit in front of the back four for protection today I reckon. I think they'll rely on an instant connection between Knockheart and Mitrovic. I just hope that doesn't get started in earnest today.

Fingers crossed guys – only a few hours to go!

https://www.suburbangooners.com/2020/09/12/fulham-v-arsenal-match-preview-sept-2020/

WhiteJC

Arsenal at Fulham: the 38-match quest begins

The Gunners need to take more points off the bottom teams. Fulham is a bottom team. Arsenal should take 3 points.

Arsenal visit Fulham to open the 2020-21 Premier League campaign today, and it's important the Gunners lay down a marker. I'll be banging this drum all season — Arsenal's finish will be determined more by how they fare against weaker opponents than against the top of the league.

The Gunners dropped too many points (6) against the bottom 3 last season. Fulham are expected to be in the bottom 3 this year. Arsenal need to feast today. They also dropped too many points from winning positions last year. Arsenal need to get out to an early lead tomorrow and hold onto it.

I think it's going to be important for Arsenal to score early this season. Yes, it's a good thing for any team to score early, but I think it's especially important for the Gunners. They struggled against teams that sat back, played a low block, and looked to counter/exploit mistakes. It's tougher to do that when you're chasing a match. Arsenal need to put the teams that want to bunker-in behind the 8-ball.

Since I wrote the preview yesterday, Arsenal released some good news on the injury front. It doesn't affect today's game, but it's good news going forward. Both Calum Chambers and Shkodran Mustafi are expected back in October. That's a big improvement for Chambers and a small (but still good) one for Mustafi. Pablo Mari is expected in full training some time this month. David Luiz's status is unknown — he could miss up to 6 weeks with his neck injury. Gabriel Martinelli is expected in full training by the end of the calendar year.

Fulham have all players available for selection today.

Lineups will be posted when released. Check out Nathan's predicted 11 and see how many he got correct!

WHAT: Arsenal at Fulham
WHERE: Craven Cottage
WHEN: Saturday, September 12th 4:30 AM PT | 7:30 AM ET | 12:30 PM BT
US TV: NBCSN and Universo (SP). Stream available from fuboTV ($)

Because it is being televised, the match will NOT be live on Peacock, NBC's new streaming service. All televised matches will be available for replay at 9 PM the evening of the match.

https://theshortfuse.sbnation.com/2020/9/12/21433450/fulham-arsenal-game-time-tv-channels-match-thread-how-to-watch-premier-league-online-streaming

WhiteJC

It's a survival of the fittest for the Premier League's newboys... there's no place like home for Leeds United, Fulham have something to prove after bouncing back under Scott Parker while West Brom are aiming for a rock-solid defence

Only 55 per cent of the teams that are promoted to the Premier League survive
    Newcomers Fulham, West Brom and Leeds are hoping to make a quick impact
    Sportsmail has taken a look at how they will fare in the top-flight this campaign

When it comes to English football, the Premier League is the place to be. Whether it be the increased quality, the larger crowds, the financial reward or the prestige of the league, every club longs for a place in the top-flight.

But of those who are lucky enough to make it into the top division, just over half survive their first season in the Premier League. More often than not, teams do the hard work to achieve promotion but struggle to find their form on the big stage.

This year, Fulham, West Bromwich Albion and Leeds United will try their luck, but do they have what it takes to last the Premier League's survival of the fittest?

Sportsmail take a look at how the newly promoted teams will fare in the top-flight this season.

Fulham

Fulham are back in the big time after securing promotion the Premier League following their play-off final win over Brentford last season.

The club claimed a 2-1 win in extra time following a goalless draw over 90 minutes against the Beeds at Wembley.

Fulham are no strangers to the Premier League, having most recently featured in the 2018-2019 campaign. But the Cottagers lasted just one season in the top-flight after winning the Championship play-offs under Slavisa Jokanovic.

Slavisa Jokanovic previously helped Fulham reach the Premier League before being sacked

The Serbian was sacked in November with the club later crashing out of the league after only mustering 26 points, with the squad failing to gel after some heavy investment saw 13 players arrive at Craven Cottage.

Their disappointing Premier League run saw opposing teams put a total of 81 goals past them, causing the Cottagers to lose 26 of their 38 games.

Looking towards the future, Fulham will be desperate to avoid the same fate as they return to the top-flight for the 2020-2021 season under Scott Parker.

Fulham may have the Championships joint-top goalscorer Aleksandar Mitrovic and a range of promising midfield options, but the squad have struggled to achieve the free-flowing attacking style that was expected of them last season.   

Attacking responsibility will fall to Aleksandar Mitrovic for the upcoming 2020-2021 season

They achieved their success by placing emphasis on possession over penetration. The Cottagers made more passes than any other Championship side last season, but struggled to find the back of the net, with more than six teams bypassing them in their goalscoring tally.

While Parker did a remarkable job in getting them out of the Championship, their troubles in front of goal stemmed from their inability to counter, having created the least counter-attack chances in the division – an issue they must address before beginning their Premier League campaign.

With Fulham potentially struggling to score in the Premier League, responsibility will fall to Mitrovic.

The step up in quality may prove difficult for their team captain and midfielder Tom Cairney

Mitrovic played an instrumental role in Fulham's attack last season, contributing to 49.1 per cent of their goals when he was on the pitch.  He had a similar involvement during the club's stint in the Premier League in 2018-2019, contributing for 46 per cent of goals.

Fulham's attacking flare may also be hindered by Scott Parker's trademark slow tempo. Players such as Anthony Knockaert – who has experience of the top-flight football with Brighton and Hove Albion and Leicester City – has struggled to make a mark under given the teams tactics.

In addition, team captain and midfielder Tom Cairney may be problematic for the Cottagers as the crucial Championship player struggles to create chances in Premier League.

Cairney flopped in the Premier League last time around, scoring just one goal and registering one assist.

Fulham will struggle to survive in the Premier League while playing at Scott Parker's tempo

West Bromwich Albion

West Bromwich Albion have returned to the Premier League after two years, having finished second in the Championship behind Leeds United.

At the helm is manager Slaven Bilic, who masterminded a second placed finish with West Brom during his first season in charge at the Hawthorns. 

Under his tutelage, West Brom had the third-best defensive record in the Championship last season, having conceded 45 goals in 46 matches.

The Baggies kept 14 clean sheets over the course of the season, just eight short of the champions Leeds. 

Manager Slaven Bilic and West Bromwich Albion will feature in the Premier League this season

Defensive responsibilities in the Premier League will most likely fall to Kyle Bartley (right)

That being said, West Brom have at times looked loose at the back with their first clean sheet not coming until February of this year and having only achieved five of their 14 clean sheets at home. 

A leaky defense is something West Brom have struggled with before, having conceded 62 goals in the 2018-2019 season. Given the step up in quality at the Premier League, West Brom will need to start quickly or risk being punished.   

Defensive responsibilities in the Premier League will most likely fall to Kyle Bartley – who recorded the most clearances, blocks, interceptions in the team last season.

Bartley also completed the highest number of successful passes in the team – with a 83 per cent accuracy rate.

Right-back Darnell Furlong , meanwhile, could be the secret to their goal-scoring success, having registered 126 crosses from open play last season. That is just one fewer than winger Matt Phillips managed despite starting eight less games.

Right-back Darnell Furlong could be the secret to their goal-scoring success this season

Leeds United 

Leeds have always been defensively sound as the Whites earned a place in the top-flight by utilising some exciting full-back options and prioritising possession. 

The swashbuckling style of Leeds under Marcelo Bielsa has seen them win the Championship while keeping 22 clean sheets - a total that beat their closest competitor by five.

In addition, the team conceded just 35 goals in 2019-20, the lowest total in the league, averaging at 0.8 per game.

It is proven that Leeds perform their best at Elland Road, keeping 59.1 per cent of their clean sheets there. This could either play into their favour as they host Premier League clubs, or could see them crumble under the pressure of playing away.

Leeds United manager Marcelo Bielsa is yet to choose is first choice keeper for the season

Kiko Casilla was the first choice last season, but was banned for eight matches for racial abuse

As it stands, Marcelo Bielsa's first choice keeper for the 2020-2021 season is undecided.

Kiko Casilla was the first choice between the sticks at the start of last season, but he missed the end of their campaign due to an eight-match ban after being found guilty of racial abuse. 

Illan Meslier stepped in to perform for Leeds, starting all 10 of their final games and kept five clean sheets while doing so.

Defensively, Leeds are known for sitting deep and focusing on their counter-attacking principles, but this may be somewhat more difficult in the Premiership.

The Whites scored a total of 77 goals last season which was the second-highest in the Championship. However, if you were compare that tally to the score of those who have previously been promoted to the Premiership, Leeds' predicted number of goals in the top-flight next season equates to a lesser total than Sheffield United and Bournemouth recorded last term.

Illan Meslier stepped in, starting all 10 of their final games and kept five clean sheets

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8722101/How-Premier-League-newboys-Fulham-West-Bromwich-Albion-Leeds-United-fare-season.html

WhiteJC

Match Day 1: Fulham vs Arsenal...Let the EPL season begin!

And the wait is over! Premi.er League football is back and I am sure we are all very excited.

First and foremost, I hope that the season goes without any issues and the Covid-19 situation will be under control and that stadiums will soon be full again. Football stadium without fans are not the same and even visioning the games from our cozy sofas is not the same without hearing and seeing the fans singing their Club's glory or booing players...

How nice is it that we start our season with a London derby? It is also nice to have another London team in the EPL and personally, I never disliked Fulham. They have made some shrewed business from the French league getting Areola (he is a very good GK) and Tete (he is a good back up full back) and most importantly, they have a very clever coach in Scott Parker.

I feel like there are a lot of similarities between Parker and Arteta. Both very good midfielders with good defensive contributions and great understanding of the game. Parker has re-energized Fulham like Arteta did with Arsenal and both are young coaches leading historic London clubs although our club of course has a much richer and better history 😛

When it comes to the confrontations, it seems that Fulham is the best club at losing London derbies so let this streak continue today and then they can win against Tottenham and Chelsea. I think we have not lost to Fulham in a long time and also not lost to a newly promoted team on MD1 in a very long time. It seems past confrontation's statistics give us an edge but...

Fulham is going to come out fighting and with passion to prove to EPL clubs that they belong to this league so I am expecting a tough battle at Craven Cottage and our defensive injuries are not going to help:

Chambers, Mari, Mustafi, Sokratis and Luiz are out;
    ESR and Martinelli too

Apparently, Willian has been training well and he may just get a start today along with Saliba and Gabriel who would slot in for injured players so here is the potential line-up:

Leno – Saliba, Gabriel, Tierney – Bellerin, El Neny, Xhaka, Saka – Willian, Laca, Auba

COYG! Make us proud today! Let us win MD1 and start the season on a positive note

https://arsenalarsenal.net/2020/09/12/match-day-1-fulham-vs-arsenal-let-the-epl-season-begin/

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Arsenal prediction: How will Premier League fixture play out today?

The Gunners travel to Craven Cottage fresh from winning the Community Shield against Liverpool

Arsenal travel to Fulham in the lunchtime kick-off as the Premier League returns.

The Gunners are in fine form after beating Chelsea and Liverpool to win both the FA Cup and Community Shield.

Mikel Arteta will be targeting a place in this season's top four as he begins his first full season in charge at the Emirates.

While Scott Parker will be looking solely at survival after guiding the Cottagers back to the top flight through the play-offs.

Here's everything you need to know, including our prediction for the match at Craven Cottage.

What time is kick-off?

The match kicks off at Craven Cottage in London at 12:30pm.

What TV channel is it on?

The game will be broadcast on BT Sport 1.

Subscribers can also stream the match online via the BT Sport app.

What's the team news?
Mikel Arteta will be without David Luiz (neck), Emile Smith Rowe (shoulder), Sokratis (calf), Pablo Mari (ankle), Gabriel Martinelli (knee), Shkodran Mustafi (hamstring) and Calum Chambers (knee). Gabriel has not started a game since March. But there will be full debuts for Willian and William Saliba. Emi Martinez will be out here as he nears a move away.
Kenny Tete signed on Thursday, so this one should come too soon for him at right-back. Loanee Alphonse Areola is pushing for a start.

Predicted line-ups
Fulham XI:  Areola, Odoi, Hector, Ream, Bryan, Reed, Cairney, Knockaert, Onomah, Reid, Mitrovic
Arsenal XI: Leno, Saliba, Holding, Tierney, Bellerin, Ceballos, Xhaka, Maitland-Niles, Willian, Aubameyang, Saka

Odds

Fulham 5/1

Draw 10/3

Arsenal 8/15

Prediction

Mikel Arteta's side are flying right now and the harmony in the group is just perfect as the Gunners look to build on last season and climb back into the top four. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang will be a handful for the Cottagers on their Premier League return and while there is understandable optimism that lessons will be learned from their last time in the top flight, the Gunners will have too much here and pull away in a 2-0 victory.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-vs-arsenal-prediction-premier-league-2020-form-odds-today-latest-b421524.html

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

Fulham XI vs Arsenal: Confirmed team news, starting lineup, latest injuries for Premier League today

Fulham make their Premier League return when they host Arsenal at Craven Cottage this afternoon.

Scott Parker has pledged to keep the core of the side which won promotion going into the new campaign, vowing the club will not make the same mistakes that caused them to go down two years ago.

Instead of overhauling the squad, Parker is looking to evolve it by strengthening areas for "one of the toughest leagues in the world."

Alphonse Areola and Kenny Tete are the most recent arrivals, following Harrison Reed's move being made permanent along with deals for Mario Lemina and Antonee Robinson.

Parker faces a call in midfield against the Gunners as to who starts alongside captain Tom Cairney in the two ahead of Reed.

Josh Onomah starred at the end of the season but Parker may well turn to the experience of Lemina, who has plenty of games in the Premier League and Champions League under his belt, considering the opposition.

Predicted Fulham XI to face Arsenal (4-3-3): Areola; Tete, Hector, Ream, Bryan; Reed, Lemina, Cairney; Decordova-Reid, Knockaert, Mitrovic

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-xi-vs-arsenal-confirmed-team-news-starting-lineup-latest-injuries-today-a4545571.html

WhiteJC

Arsenal XI vs Fulham: Confirmed team news, starting lineup, latest injuries for Premier League today

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta has somewhat of a headache at the back going into the first Premier League game of the season.

The Gunners visit newly promoted London rivals Fulham today in the season curtain-raiser but will be without David Luiz after the Brazilian suffered a neck spasm.

Fellow defenders Pablo Mari, Calum Chambers, Shkodran Mustafi and Sokratis will all also be absent - however William Saliba could step in for his Premier League debut.

Speaking ahead of the opener, Arteta said: "We have a few issues around the squad, that is something normal we have to adapt. It is not ideal to start the season with key players out. We have enough, really good players and tomorrow we will have a plan to win our first game."

Summer signing Willian is also in contention to start after his exit from Chelsea, and Arteta has been impressed by what he has seen from the winger, and his compatriot Gabriel Magalhaes, in training.

The Arsenal boss said: "They have trained really well, adapted quickly. It is a big challenge, both players are in different phases of their careers."

Predicted Arsenal XI to face Fulham (3-4-3): Leno; Holding, Saliba, Tierney; Bellerin, Xhaka, Ceballos, Maitland-Niles; Willian, Aubameyang, Nketiah

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-xi-vs-fulham-confirmed-team-news-starting-lineup-latest-injuries-today-a4545551.html

WhiteJC

Bristol City fans left confused over Joe Bryan trolling claim ahead of Premier League return

The left-back fired Fulham back to the Premier League

Bristol City fans have been left confused following Joe Bryan's claim about his early years in the first-team at Ashton Gate.

The former Robins left-back is preparing for his return to the Premier League after scoring twice for Fulham in their victorious Championship play-off final last month.

Bryan left City to join Fulham in 2018 and received nothing but well-wishes from fans who understood his desire to play in the Premier League.

Indeed, it appeared that Bryan appreciated City fans too, as he refunded anyone who had got his name printed on the back of their shirts for the 2018/19 season.

So it came as some surprise when Bryan made a claim about some City fans' treatment of him on social media in an interview with the Times.

Bryan was talking about when his father performed heart surgery on Gary Johnson in March 2017 and said that some City fans said it meant he got preferential treatment at the club and a spot in the first-team.

After being asked about his starring role in the Cottagers' play-off final, Bryan responded self-deprecatingly.

He said: "Hopefully, people will begin to see I'm quite good at football, perhaps."

The article went on to explain how City fans allegedly trolled Bryan after news of Johnson's operation and then-Robins boss Lee Johnson's gratitude towards Bryan's father was made public.

Bryan said: "It was a bit of a strange time. My dad didn't tell me until afterwards.

"There was the whole aspect of patient/doctor confidentiality but it came out, not through Dad, and Bristol City got a load of complaints saying it shouldn't have come out in the press.

"But it was a nice story so I just got on with it.

"I had a few tweets saying: 'Now I know why you play so many games. Because you're rubbish. Your dad saved your manager's dad's life. You must have gone and said, 'Play me because my dad saved his life'.

"I can confirm I did not do that."

Yet Bryan had already made 150 appearances for the Robins by the time of Johnson's operation and many City fans were confused over the 26-year-old's claims.

It was not helped by the Times' headline, which read: 'Fans said I was only picked because my dad saved the boss's dad's life.'

The interview prompted plenty of reaction and questions from Robins supporters on social media.

"Never heard anyone say that about you being picked," one commented. "Remember you are one of our own."

Another sent Bryan a message saying he should have ignored any critics he faced.

They said: "Never heard anyone say that Joe, disappointed you feel that way.

"Every fan I know was solidly behind you."

Yet others argued that fans are looking back on Bryan's reception at the Robins with rose-tinted spectacles.

One supporter said: "Just a quick look on forums or Facebook groups show that unfortunately he regularly got grief."

Another added: "The abuse would have been directed to him personally so of course you wouldn't see it."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-fans-left-confused-4509714

WhiteJC