Post Match Thread: Fulham 0-3 Arsenal

Started by Milo, September 12, 2020, 02:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

..FOF..

Quote from: FFC In Oz on September 12, 2020, 02:39:47 PM
Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on September 12, 2020, 02:36:06 PM
Quote from: FFC In Oz on September 12, 2020, 02:32:42 PM
In no particular order:

* I'm glad we lost like this because I hope it has taught Parker that this side is NOT good enough to compete in the Premiership
* Moving the ball sideways and backwards in the Premiership doesn't cut it.  It just allows the opposition time to set up and organise behind the ball and we cannot create any chances, we need to be direct.  Several times in the first half, Kebano burnt Odoi by not passing to him on the overlap and just going backwards again.
* Conversely, we are NOT good enough to play out from the back in this league, we don't have the same time on the ball.
* Mitro needs support.  Kamara is not the answer.
*  We have about 5-6 players who would not start for any other Premiership side (Odoi, Ream, Hector, Kamara, BDR, Kebano - I only exclude Cav from this because he has played in the Prem for another side).

On the flip side, I thought Anguissa provided something different when he came on.  He had a certain dynamism and energy with and without the ball.  Perhaps even more impressively, he looked to play the ball forward at times as well. 

I think we've learned that Cairney CANNOT play the deep lying role in the Prem.  He needs to be further up the pitch in support of Mitro.

For me we should drop Cairney for Anguissa and Cavaleiro/AK for Mitro. Need another winger and cb.

I suppose Areola will come in but I don't lay too much blame on Rodak, apart from the 2nd goal that went through his legs.

I think Anguissa should start over Cairney too - but can't see it happening due to the armband that Cairney wears.

I think Mitro comes in for Kamara, and I would like to see Knockaert in for Kebano.

No way. That armband means nothing if you are not an effective player.

No time for sentiment. I hope Parker will be tougher in the EPL.

The Cravenette

Quote from: davew on September 12, 2020, 02:28:33 PM
Wish we had stayed in the Championship, only 37 more games to lose! (lol)

Yeah we could be losing away to Birmingham today like Brentford.

EricB

Whoever received a forward pass had no thought other than to it Give it back to the guy who had just passed it to them.  Seemed to be damage limitation and very little imagination or ability to go forward. Disappointing.

Sting of the North

Don't understand the criticism on Odoi at all. Our best defender today. Absolutely not on him for Auba's goal, he covered everything but the exact spot Auba managed to hit. Class by Aubameyang, nothing wrong by Odoi.

Same on Cairney, he did what was asked of him. His job is obviously (for anyone who watched us last season) to keep the ball. Which he did. He also helped out defensively, and was our best player other than Odoi imo.

Woolly Mammoth

Had to work from 4am until now. Sounds as though I dodged a bullet.
However, knee jerk reactions are not necessarily, just constructive criticism will suffice. I received texts from my sons throughout the game, so not completely in the dark.
Well let's hope the result and certain individual performances accelerate our efforts to bring in Centre Backs, and another forward.
Remember the first 38 League games are the most important.
With hindsight 0 3 was par for the course, but I do feel sad and disappointed, but not down and out.
Tomorrow we wake up and the sun will be shining, and we go again a little wiser.
We do not lose, we either win or learn, and we have to learn very quickly. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

alfie

Amazing isn't it, lots saying before the game give the team that won us promotion a chance, then complain that that team not good enough.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

FFC In Oz

We just lack incisiveness.  We don't look dangerous.

As error-prone as our defence were, it doesn't look like we are going to create many opportunities either.

..FOF..

Quote from: alfie on September 12, 2020, 02:46:08 PM
Amazing isn't it, lots saying before the game give the team that won us promotion a chance, then complain that that team not good enough.

Well, I still think they will be given a couple more weeks to prove themselves.

Again, except the keeper:)

Deeping_white

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on September 12, 2020, 02:40:36 PM
Quote from: grandad on September 12, 2020, 02:34:50 PM
Of todays team the only ones to feature in the game vs Leeds are Hector Cairney, in spite of their poor games, Reed, Mitro, Zambo, & Onomah. GK is a toss up. Tete, Robinson, Aina & possibly Knockaert to come in.

Agreed...except I don't think Rodak loses his spot.

I also expect us to buy a defender and an attacking player this week.   Someone who can stretch opposing back lines (better than AK47) and still play the ball well with others.

Areola will play against Ipswich and I expect he keeps the shirt for the Leeds game. I know hector should be trying to win the header for the second goal but it's not even 6 yards out, he should be bulldozing everyone and punching it away, instead he was rooted to his line

Denzil Dexter

Quote from: VamosFFC on September 12, 2020, 02:27:56 PM
Ream > Hector today....Hector had a horrible game today!

We definitely need to get a quality CB in, but for all the Ream bashers, he actually had quite a good game. Maybe not the defense collectively, but Ream himself I thought looked good.
They both need upgrading if we're being brutally honest but with Tony looking for CBs we'll be lucky to get 1.   

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

fulhamben

Quote from: ..FOF.. on September 12, 2020, 02:47:39 PM
Quote from: alfie on September 12, 2020, 02:46:08 PM

Well, I still think they will be given a couple more weeks to prove themselves.

Again, except the keeper:)
god I hope not. There's no excuse for them other than they just aren't prem quality
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

GJB

Arsenal are an in-form side, who have a devastating attack, so the result matched my expectations.

I thought we were alright first half and asides from the stupid error from Ream, I agreed with Crouch that we were slightly unlucky to be 1-0 down. Second half we saw Arsenal's quality and we looked more shaky in defence. Mitro should have been on all game IMO.

I'm going to reserve judgement until after gameweek 3 when we've played teams who we realistically have a chance against - leeds and villa - and when hopefully some of our new players have been integrated into the team.

copthornemike

Very impressive Arsenal team individually and as a team, with and (unusually for the Gooners) without the ball.
After the first goal they bossed it, really our problem was no threat going forward although the introduction of Mitro & Anguissa did improve us, but Arsenal had won it by then.
Arsenal will beat much better teams than us this this year, Arteta has done a good job setting them up.
Hopefully we will learn quickly from today and make improvements quickly. Rolled over however too easily today.
Matches like next week (away vs Leeds) will define how our season will progress. Still think there are other squads who do not differ greatly in quality from ours so there is hope.
Only Kebano offered a threat, other tham Mitro cannot see we will score, AK47 bless his socks obviously not up to Premiership level unless something clicks.

AnOldBrownie

We can still beat Leeds next week.  Our first game against a good EPL side we lost.

Time to move on.

FulhamStu

I have no issues playing last seasons players who deserve a chance, HOWEVER, the line up and formation today was crazy.  Reed yes, but with Cairney and Onomah v Arsenal its going to be a real challenge to protect the back 4.  Even worse than that, to play 3 wingers is absolutely nuts.  Parker got it brilliantly right at Wembley but totally wrong today.

We have upgrades in the squad like Frank, Lemina, Tete, Aina, I know some were not ready today but we must play our best 11.  If we are going to play last seasons players, play the right formation and admit you are playing a superior side and defend properly all over the pitch.  We should have had 2 defensive midfield players, if Mitro was on they would not have scored from the corner, that was a joke !

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Denzil Dexter on September 12, 2020, 02:52:37 PM
Quote from: VamosFFC on September 12, 2020, 02:27:56 PM
Ream > Hector today....Hector had a horrible game today!

We definitely need to get a quality CB in, but for all the Ream bashers, he actually had quite a good game. Maybe not the defense collectively, but Ream himself I thought looked good.
They both need upgrading if we're being brutally honest but with Tony looking for CBs we'll be lucky to get 1.   

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Does he know what a Centre Back is and what he looks like ?
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ChesterTheTabby

I recommend taking a few hours off before posting nonsense.

Also, everyone, let's not implode on day one. We lost to Barnsley day one last season. Barnsley.

We're going to be okay. It's evident we need to shore up our CB positions, but when Tete and Robinson get some gelling time with the squad, along with our other signings, we're going to be alright. I predict 16th finish, and I am confident we can survive this initial season back up. Arsenal are a Champions League level team - did we really expect anything other than a wake up call?

Stay positive - there is only one way up from here, and by God we're going to do it under the tutelage of Scotty Parker.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

toshes mate

Certainly disappointing given the opening few minutes but we were really poor for their second and third goals.  Old habits from last season with people getting way out of position appearing and that is not what Mr Parker required.  Thought the midfield left a lot to be desired of them and that is where it went wrong.   

GJB

Quote from: OhConnah on September 12, 2020, 02:56:02 PM

I'd rather lose 3-0 to arsenal than 1-0 away to birmingham

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: OhConnah on September 12, 2020, 02:56:02 PM

It's ok to post nonsense.   We have an ignore poster option that's free to use.  082.gif